The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Now I understand why he is the way he is.... :P

This past weekend, as everyone has heard by now, Flagman and Jess showed up to attempt "Fear" (on Staten Island, NY) with TT and other NJ locals. I think to myself, they are crazy, these California types, and they will certainly not be amused by what I believe the first stage to be.

Boy was I wrong. We started in the thorns. Jess got one in the eye...but oddly, she seemed unfazed and continued on without much of a murmur. As the group was bushwacking a trail through 8 feet high phragmites, they were took the lead on many occasions while I was coasting along in the pre-made trail at the end of the pack. We get to the mud swamps...sulfur smelling, gooey mud up to your thighs. I hesitate and pause at the mere sight of it. During my reluctance, those two just dive across! <_< I was shocked and figured I better get tougher to hang with these guys. The adventure continued and they never were discouraged or unwilling to jump into the next challenge.

But wait, the rest of the NJ crew made it through FEAR, so how tough are the SD maniacs....well, I would say, Insane!

Before finishing Fear on sunday morning, they got up and completed about a dozen local caches.

After Fear (at which point I thought I should get a massage, soak in a hot tub, and sleep off the pain, they drive ALL over the state to grab a few more. I think they would have made it to PA for a cache or two if I hadn't passed out in the car!

Oh yeah, and on monday, they hadn't gotten a cache for a few hours, so they got up early and grabbed one more before returning to CA. Mean while, I hadn't even gotten out of bed yet. :ph34r:

Dang! This clarifies everything....

I thought it was just TT, but now I understand that it was all of YOUR fault!!! :P Flagman and Jess are just as OCD about this geocaching thing!!! You nurtured him into this geocaching maniac...it is the San Diego community that fosters this type of caching insanity!! :(

But really, Tom and Jess were the kindest guests I have hosted. It was a great joy to witness Jeff's surprise saturday morning when we pulled up to the meeting spot. You all made this a truly special time for both of us. <_<:anibad::blink:

Thanks so much.

Just you wait until you show up out here in March.

download photos??  What part of b-l-o-n-d-e don't you understand??  These are 35mm type pic (you know, the old fashioned type)  We'll bring them to the next event....That will happen before we figure out how to up load photos.

And Yes, Deputy Hamm took a razzing from the people at the Medical Examiners office when they showed up on the scene, and as you can imagine, this picture could paint a thousand words.

Don't you have a scanner? Oh yeah, the blonde thing <_< .

Boy, there were some amazing posts to the thread while Green Gecko and I were off to Tucson this past weekend. We returned today and I am finally getting around to uploading photos for the Black Canyon CITO event - after the site was archived. So for those who joined in and might like to see them, here is the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...ef&LID=11435858

-GD

P.S. Here are a few additional shots from my trip around the MTB loop:

6f08ba52-a4a7-499b-9b4d-88c20b6b32ea.jpg

b2961891-4ab5-4ec4-a723-ce291b8ecf66.jpg

b64fcd2a-35e9-4a3d-bb1e-091ade54a0de.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko
Great shots Don!

(you forgot to include the link)

Yep, pilot error. I deleted an embedded image and mistakenly snagged the link too. Sorry about that.

Here it is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...ef&LID=11435858

Original posting has also been corrected to include the CITO images link.

-GD

More nice photos Don! <_<

There's some irony in the graphiti words of wisdom! <_<

If I have'nt sent you an e-mail regarding what you see in this picture or you have no clue as to what I'm talking about....e-mail me.  <_<

I ordered more than I requested on the coin thread; is that going to mess things up? 'cause if it does, I'll order more <_< .

The more you order the less the "outsiders" get....so yes, order more! :anibad:

Dang hikers! :D If there weren't any hikers, we wouldn't have any dead bodies being found! :o

The paper today mentions that a hiker in the Seattle area found a skull.

Wonder if the hiker is a cacher? :D Not the kind of swag I want to find! :P

There are two types of people, those that run screaming from the site of dead and those that run screaming towards it...... :D

Dang hikers!  :D  If there weren't any hikers, we wouldn't have any dead bodies being found!  :o

Wonder if the hiker is a cacher?  :D  Not the kind of swag I want to find!  :P

There are two types of people, those that run screaming from the site of dead and those that run screaming towards it...... :D

So which are you?

Dang hikers!  :D  If there weren't any hikers, we wouldn't have any dead bodies being found!  :o

Wonder if the hiker is a cacher?  :D  Not the kind of swag I want to find!  :P

So which are you?

Can't you tell?? If it will make a good story....we run towards.

Did anyone else just get a bunch of notifications of "new" caches that were actually published on Monday?

That's not quite how it's supposed to work, is it?!

There seems to be a general problem with message delivery. I've also noticed delays with Pocket Queries and watchlist notifications. It's rather inconsistant because some things will come instantly and others will be delayed by hours. :rolleyes:

We wanted say Thank you to everyone here that voted for our Jeep 4X4 geochallenge photo. We didn't win but, with all your support we were able to secure one of 2nd place positions! :rolleyes: Happy Thanksgiving and happy hunting to everyone that is caching in the morning.

Cool! Win anything for second?

from the rules page...

----------------

(25) Second Prizes (5 per Judging Period) Jeep-branded tee shirt ARV $18.00.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.): Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not! I Love you ALL! CACHE ON! :mad:

Edited by FlagMan
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.):  Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not!  I Love you ALL!  CACHE ON!  :)

And living in what must be the most perfect caching county in the world with the best geo-friends imaginable. Cache on indeed!

-GD for Team Gecko :mad::):D:P

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.):  Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not!  I Love you ALL!  CACHE ON!  :)

And living in what must be the most perfect caching county in the world with the best geo-friends imaginable. Cache on indeed!

-GD for Team Gecko :mad::):D:P

Hear! Hear!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.): Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not! I Love you ALL! CACHE ON! :mad:

Wow...Nice job Tom.

Happy Turkey Day to all!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.):  Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not!  I Love you ALL!  CACHE ON!  :mad:

Have a happy turkey day all and don't forget the proper way to dress that turkey. :)

post-1-1101409846_thumb.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.):  Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not!  I Love you ALL!  CACHE ON!  :D

-GD for Team Gecko :mad::):D:D

Great toasts Tom and Don! :D Cheers! :) Happy Thanksgiving to all! Now please pass the gravy! :P

Edited by TrailGators
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.):  Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not!  I Love you ALL!  CACHE ON!  :P

-GD for Team Gecko :mad::):):D

Great toasts Tom and Don! :D Cheers! :huh: Happy Thanksgiving to all! Now please pass the gravy! :D

:D:o:)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING FROM THE SPLASH ZONE!!

:P:D;)

-GD for Team Gecko :mad::D:):P

Very well written Tom and Don. I'm thankful for all the aspects of the game, friends, hikes, vistas, challenges and ofcourse, mucking around all over San Diego. Happy turkey day to all.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Things I am thankful for today (after the REALLY important things like God, Family, Country, etc.): Puzzle caches, and all those who create them; epic hike caches, and all those who create them, cammo caches and all those who create them; multi-caches and all those who create them; indabush caches and all those who create them; physical challenge caches and all those who create them; urban micro caches, and all those who create them; did I mention Puzzle caches and all those who create them yet?; travel bugs and all those who own them; posted pictures and all those who take them -- have I left anyone out? -- I hope not! I Love you ALL! CACHE ON! :D

Nicely said!!! Spent the morning with some great geocachers doing those wonderful Sandy Creek Cowboy caches.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL :D:D

Hope everyone is still having a great Thanksgiving. I had a great time with the group out finding the SCC caches. Then we found a lonely cache that had only been visited twice, The Lion's Den.

After all my companions left, I went on to find three more caches on my own, including Laguna #1 which was quite an adventure . . . Good thing I had a GPSr with me or I'd still be out there wandering around under the pines . . . :D

I am very thankful for Geocaching and all the Geocachers who place all the caches. :D

To all of you fine Geocachers that visited the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches today ... b'less yo're little pea-pickin' hearts. Y'all made us ol' cowboys mighty proud.

As you saw those cowboy caches don't get a lot of visits. Today has to be th' banner day for number of log entries. That makes it all worth while.

So y'all cheated on number twelve did y'? Shame on y'all.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you San Diego County Geocachers. You're a great bunch of pals.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

To all of you fine Geocachers that visited the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches today ... b'less yo're little pea-pickin' hearts. Y'all made us ol' cowboys mighty proud.

As you saw those cowboy caches don't get a lot of visits. Today has to be th' banner day for number of log entries. That makes it all worth while.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you San Diego County Geocachers. You're a great bunch of pals.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

:D Uh . . . about #12. I don't know how, but when I found it last spring I just found it . . . no need to do any of that other stuff. But, trust me, those guys had it all figured out and would have been traipsing all over the countryside if I hadn't opened my big mouth and said, "It's right over here . . . " :D

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

:D Uh . . . about #12. I don't know how, but when I found it last spring I just found it . . . no need to do any of that other stuff. But, trust me, those guys had it all figured out and would have been traipsing all over the countryside if I hadn't opened my big mouth and said, "It's right over here . . . " :D

Mmm, Mmm, Mmm ... us ol' cowboys do love a laugh now and then.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Sandy Creek Cowboys ROCK :D What a great day of caching!!

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Thank you guys for putting the caches out. So very imaginative and fun.....it truly was an adventure.....never knew what to expect.

Introduction and Question about placing caches in Barona.

Hi SD cachers, I am an RN who has lived in the San Diego area for about three years now. I am new at caching and have been having a great time the last couple months. Thanks to all of you for the great caches. (And, although I am clearly not up to the task of solving the TT and other really twisted puzzles yet, I have been really enjoying working on the more sane ones!)

I am starting to plan my first cache hides (which probably won't be placed before mid January or so) and have a few ideas I am kicking around. (For one of them, I am hoping to do a multi-stage puzzle cache as a thank you to all you twisted minds out there.)

For one of the caches I'm planning, I have been scoping out some possible sites at Barona, but couldn't help but notice there are no caches there. (There is one, but it's at an establishment there and doesn't require leaving the main road.) Has anyone tried to get permission to place a cache at Barona and been denied? I am thinking that, once I have the exact site chosen, I will approach the tribal council for permission to hide. It occurred to me that this may have been done already with poor results. Anyone have any info or suggestions regarding this?

Thanks,

KamaRaga

(Kate)

Hi SD cachers, I am an RN who has lived in the San Diego area for about three years now. I am new at caching and have been having a great time the last couple months. Thanks to all of you for the great caches. (And, although I am clearly not up to the task of solving the TT and other really twisted puzzles yet, I have been really enjoying working on the more sane ones!)

I am starting to plan my first cache hides (which probably won't be placed before mid January or so) and have a few ideas I am kicking around. (For one of them, I am hoping to do a multi-stage puzzle cache as a thank you to all you twisted minds out there.)

For one of the caches I'm planning, I have been scoping out some possible sites at Barona, but couldn't help but notice there are no caches there. (There is one, but it's at an establishment there and doesn't require leaving the main road.) Has anyone tried to get permission to place a cache at Barona and been denied? I am thinking that, once I have the exact site chosen, I will approach the tribal council for permission to hide. It occurred to me that this may have been done already with poor results. Anyone have any info or suggestions regarding this?

Thanks,

KamaRaga

(Kate)

Welcome! :mmraspberry:

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

:santa: Uh . . . about #12. I don't know how, but when I found it last spring I just found it . . . no need to do any of that other stuff. But, trust me, those guys had it all figured out and would have been traipsing all over the countryside if I hadn't opened my big mouth and said, "It's right over here . . . " :mmraspberry:

Sandy Creek Cowboys ROCK :drama: What a great day of caching!!

I am sure sorry that I missed out on this outing. There are a few caches up there in SSC country that I would sure like to find. I'm glad to read that ya'll had a good time.

Thanks,

KamaRaga

(Kate)

Probably not a good idea. Regardless of if you get permission from the tribe or not I would not feel comfortable venturing into tribal grounds. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find some "public" land ready for a cache!

PassingWind

Hi SD cachers, I am an RN who has lived in the San Diego area for about three years now.  I am new at caching and have been having a great time the last couple months.  Thanks to all of you for the great caches. (And, although I am clearly not up to the task of solving the TT and other really twisted puzzles yet, I have been really enjoying working on the more sane ones!)

I am starting to plan my first cache hides (which probably won't be placed before mid January or so)  and have a few ideas I am kicking around.  (For one of them, I am hoping to do a multi-stage puzzle cache as a thank you to all you twisted minds out there.)

For one of the caches I'm planning, I have been scoping out some possible sites at Barona, but couldn't help but notice there are no caches there. (There is one, but it's at an establishment there and doesn't require leaving the main road.)  Has anyone tried to get permission to place a cache at Barona and been denied?  I am thinking that, once I have the exact site chosen, I will approach the tribal council for permission to hide.  It occurred to me that this may have been done already with poor results.  Anyone have any info or suggestions regarding this?

Thanks,

KamaRaga

(Kate)

Probably not a good idea. Regardless of if you get permission from the tribe or not I would not feel comfortable venturing into tribal grounds. I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find some "public" land ready for a cache!

PassingWind

Besides that the casino has sucked up all the ground water in that area to support gambling and golf. For three years now Carpenter from Hell and his many neighbors must to haul water up the hill to their homes along the ridge just south of the casino. Imagine what that has done to the value of their property.

Maybe place a cache up there to tell the story of what that casino has done to their neighbors and how they have refused to acknowledge or redress what they have done.

Edited by SD Rowdies
For three years now Carpenter from Hell and his many neighbors must to haul water up the hill to their homes along the ridge just south of the casino. Imagine what that has done to the value of their property.

Hear hear....how do you think it feels being stuck behind one of those water trucks going up Wildcat Canyon.....why I oughta :mmraspberry:

I would not feel comfortable venturing into tribal grounds.

It didn't occur to me before reading this that there would be those who felt this way, but I'm not at all surprised and understand that there are probably good reasons for people to hold this opinion--Sovereign Nation, laws of their own, and all that. When I first moved to California I felt the same way. I was once told of a man who was fined several thousand dollars for hitting a cow that wandered across a road within the Barona boundaries--and he didn't even get to keep the cow :santa: But then, there are many whose favorite caches involve slugging through swamps :mmraspberry: , climbing crumbling rock walls and poking around next to rattlesnake nests, and I would say "No Thanks" to those, no matter how great the cache :drama:

I respect your opinion, and appreciate your feedback. Of course I can and will find other places for caches as well. But I wonder how many people would choose to pass on a cache hidden on tribal land? (--Hidden only with the permission of the council, of course!) I had a couple of themed caches in mind which would work well on the tribal land, but will involve alot of work to plan and place, not to mention approaching the tribal council with the geocaching sales pitch. If the majority opinion is that folks would pass on tribal land caches, it would seem that it's not worth the trouble.

And I'm sorry for those folks for whom the reservation has been a bad and inconsiderate neighbor also, but do you think cache-hunting there implies approval and support of their actions or business?

Thanks for the discussion.

I would not feel comfortable venturing into tribal grounds.

It didn't occur to me before reading this that there would be those who felt this way, but I'm not at all surprised and understand that there are probably good reasons for people to hold this opinion--Sovereign Nation, laws of their own, and all that. When I first moved to California I felt the same way. I was once told of a man who was fined several thousand dollars for hitting a cow that wandered across a road within the Barona boundaries--and he didn't even get to keep the cow :ph34r: But then, there are many whose favorite caches involve slugging through swamps :) , climbing crumbling rock walls and poking around next to rattlesnake nests, and I would say "No Thanks" to those, no matter how great the cache :ph34r:

I respect your opinion, and appreciate your feedback. Of course I can and will find other places for caches as well. But I wonder how many people would choose to pass on a cache hidden on tribal land? (--Hidden only with the permission of the council, of course!) I had a couple of themed caches in mind which would work well on the tribal land, but will involve alot of work to plan and place, not to mention approaching the tribal council with the geocaching sales pitch. If the majority opinion is that folks would pass on tribal land caches, it would seem that it's not worth the trouble.

And I'm sorry for those folks for whom the reservation has been a bad and inconsiderate neighbor also, but do you think cache-hunting there implies approval and support of their actions or business?

Thanks for the discussion.

Carpenter from Hell and his neighbors don't do the Forum but I'd love to be watching and listening if you were to ask their opinion. Dry wells make for strong opinions.

Of course I also know that few people either know about or feel their pain. Almost always the big dawg wins and casinos take in enough money to control outcomes no matter who it hurts.

Water is a huge and growing issue for the southwest, nay, the World. Things are going to pop between now and the 2050s.

Bottom line is if you place a cache finders will come.

Edited by SD Rowdies