The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Had tasty lunch at Trophy's with Idiosyncratic, Cegrube, Gobolt, my daughters and their neighboring friend. We arrived before the lunch crowd and left after the lunch crowd; we just couldn't stop yapping about caching!

It was good to meet you Idiosyncratic; will let you know about No Hinty on McGinty.

Time to go pack my cooler for tomorrow.

f81715f9-7a51-4854-968f-ae005832583f.jpg

Happy birthday $kimmer. How d' y' feel about growing old?

Oh goodie! Time for a tongue-lashing! :ph34r:

I know it can't be Moon or Entwistle, so it must be Daltrey and Townsend back at the ranch!

They were doing the same thing several years back while singing "Won't Get Fooled Again" or something like that.... :ph34r:

7bc6371b-fc7d-481b-afcc-6ac80015dc3f.jpg

By the way, that is RM's secret method of finding a cache! It really works!!! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators
f81715f9-7a51-4854-968f-ae005832583f.jpg

Happy birthday $kimmer. How d' y' really feel about growing old?

Oh goodie! Time for a tongue-lashing! :ph34r:

I know it can't be Moon or Entwistle, so it must be Daltrey and Townsend back at the ranch!

They were doing the same thing several years back while singing "Won't Get Fooled Again" or something like that.... :ph34r:

7bc6371b-fc7d-481b-afcc-6ac80015dc3f.jpg

By the way, that is RM's secret method of finding a cache! It really works!!! :ph34r:

Shh, not a word to $kimmer until tomorrow. I'm going to see her tonight.

By th' way, that's Carpenter from Hell and DennisB doin' their thing. They wouldn't let me be in th' picture.

I went to Sports Authority today. I saw a former student of mine behind the counter, and she waved at me, so I went over to ask about Adventure Passes. Here's the conversation:

[Parsa] So, do you have Adventure Passes?

[Counter girl] Yeah. (turns to other counter guy) We have some over there, right?

[Counter guy] We have day passes, year passes for 2006, and extra vehicle passes, but we're out of 2005 year passes (which of course they should be). ... Oh we don't have any year passes.

[Parsa] No year passes? You said you have extra vehicle passes for 2005?

[Counter guy] Yes, we still have those.

[Parsa] Well that will do.

(Counter girl rings me up for $5 and does not punch the pass.)

Hehe.

Parsa

I went to Sports Authority today. I saw a former student of mine behind the counter, and she waved at me, so I went over to ask about Adventure Passes. Here's the conversation:

[Parsa] So, do you have Adventure Passes?

[Counter girl] Yeah. (turns to other counter guy) We have some over there, right?

[Counter guy] We have day passes, year passes for 2006, and extra vehicle passes, but we're out of 2005 year passes (which of course they should be). ... Oh we don't have any year passes.

[Parsa] No year passes? You said you have extra vehicle passes for 2005?

[Counter guy] Yes, we still have those.

[Parsa] Well that will do.

(Counter girl rings me up for $5 and does not punch the pass.)

Hehe.

Parsa

Former student of yours eh?

Slide Rule will be copying Black Box and bringing it to SD. 

Just a heads up for all you Physics geeks!

This one's gonna hurt.

--TT--

And worth every sleeping moment that you spent in Physics class.

If you want to do the Black Box problem ( To test you approach to the SD Problem ). I will tell you Yea or Nea if you are within 100 meters of the final location.

-- SlideRule

Edited by SlideRule
Slide Rule will be copying Black Box and bringing it to SD.

Just a heads up for all you Physics geeks!

This one's gonna hurt.

--TT--

Simple enough for an old farmer to solve. :ph34r:

Congratulations to SlideRule for completing the solution and becoming the 6th to find the Black Box. It had been collecting DNF's for the past two years too. Great devotion to the addiction, SlideRule! Wish I could have been there. :huh:

Shh, not a word to $kimmer until tomorrow. I'm going to see her tonight.

By th' way, that's Carpenter from Hell and DennisB doin' their thing. They wouldn't let me be in th' picture.

What's in it for me? :ph34r:

68e554bc-e73f-4cb2-b671-9f2b99a42d51.jpg

Too late. A little bird named Splashette ratted me out. You were right, a tongue lashing ensued.

The best part was that there were thirty-four of us at the birthday party and everybody had a chance to see the Forum birthday greeting.

Edited by SD Rowdies
SlideRule reports he found GeorgeandMary's  Black Box. Way to go, San Diego! Talk about devotion to puzzle caching. Wow!! :huh:  :ph34r:  :( That's only the sixth time anyone's been able to find it and over two years since finder number five. Who's next?? :(

Here's his Find Log. Good reading. Especially if you're going to be the next to find! Funny that this cache has brought so many cachers to their knees. :D

Thanks for the kind words.

For those that care, there is going to be a 'Black Box' in San Diego soon. Although, it will be more challenging than this one.

If you want to practice your Physics Calculations Try - ' Black Box ' before you attempt 'Black Box - SD' .

Challenge: Anyone in CV up to a fantastic FTF in San Diego? -or- Is it true that the FTS will go to a Southern Californian and not a flatlander?

I will post the problem in the San Diego Forum within a few minutes after I place the cache. Even prior to the acceptance by WCA.

-- SlideRule ( The fun is in the find )

Are you telling us Skimmer is 60??? :blink: She hides it well. :blink:

c033e959-10d2-4a43-998c-d2f3b2c06343.jpg

Hey! sixty never passed my lips. $kimmer would kill me if I let that out.

If y' must, put th' blame on Mr. The Vulture. He was the one that selected black party balloons.

One thing for sure, it isn't easy keeping up with that ol' gal when she's on the trail after a nest of new finds.

Are you telling us Skimmer is 60??? :blink:  She hides it well. :blink:

c033e959-10d2-4a43-998c-d2f3b2c06343.jpg

If y' must, put th' blame on Mr. The Vulture. He was the one that selected black party balloons.

One thing for sure, it isn't easy keeping up with that ol' gal when she's on the trail after a nest of new finds.

Harmon,

I think $kimmer is going to kill you!

The Vulture ate all of the black frosting balloons on the cake and resembled a Chow!! Very funny, he kept showing off his tongue! (it was kinda of like all of the

'oops, I left my blinker on again episodes') He couldn't stop!

Splashette

Any hiking cachers in the group that have been up Mt Whitney? I may have an opportunity to climb it later this summer and I'm wondering what I'm up against. Climber X or Borrego Bill perhaps?

Edit: after looking at GC75C3, it seems that NCad and KJsJoys have been. Do they visit the forums though?

Edited by Dan-oh
Are you telling us Skimmer is 60??? :blink:  She hides it well. :blink:

Harmon,

I think $kimmer is going to kill you!

The Vulture ate all of the black frosting balloons on the cake and resembled a Chow!! Very funny, he kept showing off his tongue! (it was kinda of like all of the

'oops, I left my blinker on again episodes') He couldn't stop!

Splashette

Now wait just a minute Splashette, my innocence is as pure as new-driven snow. Of course you are quite right about Mr. The Vulture and the black tonque. Creepy I say.

I stayed near the corners of that cake after he started slobberin' all over th' middle. Who would have expected him to start lickin' the black balloons up while they were still attached to the cake? Yuck.

Besides I'm setting up $kimmer's new Geocaching toys so I figure that I'm safe until I have to give all that stuff back to her. Her Palm Zire 31 should show up in the next couple of days so maybe I'll have her in the paperless business by Thursday.

I've been meaning to ask, what do paperless Geocachers wipe with?

Rumor has it that you and she are running off with a bunch of Geocaching studs later this week. I swear, you two GeoBabes are really something.

Astonishing,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Any hiking cachers in the group that have been up Mt Whitney?  I may have an opportunity to climb it later this summer and I'm wondering what I'm up against.  Climber X or Borrego Bill perhaps?

Edit: after looking at GC75C3, it seems that NCad and KJsJoys have been.  Do they visit the forums though?

Compared to other High-Sierra hikes, Whitney is a cake walk. Besides, half of it is downhill.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Challenge: Anyone in CV[C] up to a fantastic FTF in San Diego? -or- Is it true that the FTS will go to a Southern Californian and not a flatlander?

I will post the problem in the San Diego Forum within a few minutes after I place the cache. Even prior to the acceptance by WCA.

-- SlideRule ( The fun is in the find )

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick

CVC is always game for a challenge. At lease the ol' farmer is. [is my watch working?]

Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick, Tick

Any hiking cachers in the group that have been up Mt Whitney?  I may have an opportunity to climb it later this summer and I'm wondering what I'm up against.  Climber X or Borrego Bill perhaps?

Edit: after looking at GC75C3, it seems that NCad and KJsJoys have been.  Do they visit the forums though?

Um...yeah, twice, but it was a little while ago (28 years or so). First time I was 11, second time I was 13. Here is a shot of me with two of my brothers and my father when I was 13 and feeling like I was on top of the world, albeit and little cold. I'm second from the left in case you were wondering.

mtwhitney_1976.jpg

Their Palms of course! :rolleyes:

Bada-bing! now I'm playing straight-man for TrailGators.

Well, I did owe him one didn't I?

How long has that joke been around in th' paper-less crowd. From the beginning no doubt. Just call me Mr. Out-of-the-Loop.

I'll be quiet now. Got t' get away from th' ranch now and then.

Isn't that what those stashnotes are for?

3bc35930-9842-4c75-aacf-8b994a919a19.jpg

Aha! so that's where those darned things have been going.

I'll stuff a new supply into cowboy number seven. That should be lots of fun in an emergency.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Um...yeah, twice, but it was a little while ago (28 years or so). First time I was 11, second time I was 13. Here is a shot of me with two of my brothers and my father when I was 13 and feeling like I was on top of the world, albeit and little cold. I'm second from the left in case you were wondering.

OK, you made it as a 13 year old. That makes me think that with a little work on my part, it shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, it sure like you're all wearing cotton. Pre-gortex days, eh? :rolleyes:

Ten and a half miles of elevation gain from the portal which is already at 8000+. Plus they have a lotto system now to evan get on the mountain, its a popular place these day especially in the summer. I would prefer the eastern side, crampons and ice picks thats the ticket. The elevation is the crux. You will have fun no matter.

Tigger's Mango and I had a great time, caching in the Lagunas, this weekend, with Chuy, Ginger, RayJimmy, Cegrube and Parsa. The weather was wonderful...the scenery marvelous...the caches fun...but the company was priceless.

Parsa was able to join us for dinner in Julian on Saturday and he stayed the night...

He pulled out his ukulele :rolleyes: (wow he can really play) and told old caching stories about the "good ol' days" when all of the caches were made of wood and they were all up hill and in the snow (both ways). :D

Tigger's Mango and I had a great time, caching in the Lagunas, this weekend, with Chuy, Ginger, RayJimmy, Cegrube and Parsa. The weather was wonderful...the scenery marvelous...the caches fun...but the company was priceless.

Parsa was able to join us for dinner in Julian on Saturday and he stayed the night...

He pulled out his ukulele :rolleyes: (wow he can really play) and told old caching stories about the "good ol' days" when all of the caches were made of wood and they were all up hill and in the snow (both ways). :P

Ginger and I had a great time; we scored 19 caches in six hours. Better yet, no rattler encounters.

We really enjoyed that drive to Pine Valley. I've never seen this part of the Lagunas; it will make for an awesome bike ride someday.

Ginger missed Sonrisa; I'm sure they'll meet another day.

Thanks for the company.

OK, you made it as a 13 year old. That makes me think that with a little work on my part, it shouldn't be too bad.

BTW, it sure like you're all wearing cotton. Pre-gortex days, eh? :rolleyes:

As for the clothing back then. My brother on the far right was wearing a down jacket, nylon exterior, I believe I still have that one in my closet at home. I was wearing a nylon wind breaker. I couldn't believe my oldest brother was dressed in shorts and t-shirt.

The two times I made the trip we started at Onion Valley and spent several days walking closer to Whitney and getting acclimated. A couple of nights we were above the tree line. After 5 days of this our bodies had adapted real well. The day we went up to the peak we started on the back side, guitar lake if I remember right. We were already up over 10,000 feet and so the final ascent wasn't bad. I can't imagine going from Whitney portal and going straight up without aclimation, although we did pass people doing just that on our way out.

ClimberX noted that there is a lottery system now. My brother entered the lotto for this year, he did NOT get a permit. I think he was planning on going in with his son's boy scout troop. Aparrently when you enter the lotto system you have to identify everyone in your group up front.

Happy Birthday $kimmer!

I hope you like the (had to keep it top-secret) gift that you got!  :rolleyes:

O please. $kimmer picks her own gifts doesn't she?

Hey, I'm just keeping a promise I made to Vulture not to tell $kimmer! But I think that she knew that I knew that she knew, but I still never said nuthin'! :P

Happy Birthday $kimmer!

I hope you like the (had to keep it top-secret) gift that you got!  :laughing:

O please. $kimmer picks her own gifts doesn't she?

Hey, I'm just keeping a promise I made to Vulture not to tell $kimmer! But I think that she knew that I knew that she knew, but I still never said nuthin'! :rolleyes:

That's a really smart approach you've taken. It's kind of sweet that $kimmer let Mr. The Vulture pretend that he chose her gift.

Take it from an old guy, there's just two things you can say to a lady that won't get you into some kind of trouble; "Yes ma'am," and "Navajo White."

So far I'm having all the fun with $kimmer's new toys. She hasn't yet received her PDA so I'm still on standby.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Wanted to thank,,,,I think, everybody who expressed Birthday greeting to me. Better make it short though, have to get to bed, 60 IS OLD ya' know.

A special thanks to my good buddies, Harmon, who knows more than he should; and my fellow Geobabe, Splashette. Also HelBobduo for the kind words.

Wanted to thank,,,,I think, everybody who expressed Birthday greeting to me. Better make it short though, have to get to bed, 60 IS OLD ya' know.

A special thanks to my good buddies, Harmon, who knows more than he should; and my fellow Geobabe, Splashette. Also HelBobduo for the kind words.

b0f2233f-aaad-4030-a190-f17667ca4ea5.jpg

I'll be heading to New Orleans on Thursday night for the weekend. Let me know if you have a TB that wants to move along that way. Anyone have any great caches in Louisiana that are must-finds?

Speaking of must-finds, you've all got to start playing Wizard's Chess! With the Maurader's Map and hints/spoilers in hand, you can probably complete this in an afternoon (or, preferably, from 9 pm to 2 am). Well worth the time and effort. Awesome job, again, by the DAK Girls...... :laughing:

Edited by FlagMan

There certainly seems to be a run of SD cachers going to New Orleans recently.

I was there first week of this month, and Dr. Boggis was there last weekend, and now FlagMan is going.

I must say, that if you are going to New Orleans you must MUST

MUST do the cache View Carré (GCE02C). The experience of it was unlike anything I've ever done in caching. My fav'rite of all the 20 or so I did in while i was in Nyaw-luhns.

There are maybe about 10 virtuals in the French Quarter, many with historical signifcance, and a few challenging micros by Bamboozle by Harrah's and along the River Walk.

For the Dan-oh style cache experience, take the green trolley line out to Audobon Park in the Garden District, and start smacking yourself with a 2 x 4 in looking for some of mausdad's hides.

Here's a photo after hitting the View Carré cache:

1d0612d4-4b4a-4ce1-b5f0-a34eebc48331.jpg

Be sure to get coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde.

And Tom, no matter how many beads you think you deserve, remember your limit is two hand grenades per night. :laughing:

-TT--

Wizard's Chess!  With the Maurader's Map and hints/spoilers in hand, you can probably complete this in an afternoon (or, preferably, from 9 pm to 2 am).

What fun is that??? You can also cache till at least 5AM...I'm not sure about anything after that as my brain started to fall asleep!!! :laughing: This cache IS a fun one that has you in utter disbelief the entire way. Unbelievable. :)

It's not exactly paperless - well, it is paperless, but not very portable - but I've just been playing around with exporting caches from GSAK to Keyhole. It's very cool flying over San Diego looking down at caches as if you were an eagle! If anyone has Keyhole and GSAK and wants to know how, let me know. I'll post some photos here once I figure out where to put them.

Rob

Subterranean caches:

Anyone have some sugestions on underground caches? Drew5.10 and I thought a day of below ground exploration would be a blast so I'm trying to come up with a road trip list. I'll also look at the LA/Orange Co area too. Don't shout out any that are spoilers, ie you're not supposed to know its underground or thats part of the puzzle.

There's a few more on my list that I can't elaborate on. Not that I'm planning anything...

Completed:

Black Beard's Grotto GCHW60

Secret Passage to Hogsmeade GCJ420

The Chamber of Secrets GCGF2R

Do They Hate Me? GCMRYJ

Not yet:

The Troll's Lair GCMK4W

Power House Park - Hobbit Holes GCHTQ1

Fear Factor: Up the Rat Hole GCHYJR

There certainly seems to be a run of SD cachers going to New Orleans recently.

I was there first week of this month, and Dr. Boggis was there last weekend, and now FlagMan is going.

I must say, that if you are going to New Orleans you must MUST

MUST do the cache View Carré (GCE02C). The experience of it was unlike anything I've ever done in caching. My fav'rite of all the 20 or so I did in while i was in Nyaw-luhns.

Highly agree, View Carre is great and definitely worth planning to visit. Weekdays are better than weekends, so see if you can fit it in. If you don't do any other caches in the Big Easy, make sure you do this one!

For other things to do, once you get sick of (the smell of sick on) Bourbon Street, I'd definitely recommend a walking tour of the Garden District (where you can marvel at the amazingly huge houses and their amazingly small prices compared to SD), and getting into the Fauborg Maurigny for some of the food and music the locals, rather than the tourists, enjoy.

We also reccomend the Garden District. We stayed there (Garden District) back in September and it was absolutely terrific. Easy walk to and from downtown, or you can take the trolley around the city. Bourbon Street is interesting, but we didn't spend a lot of time there, much more fun at Mardi Gras however. It is a great city to enjoy, we enjoyed our couple of days there, no geocaching then since we weren't into it.