The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey Now! Thanks for the links, TG. I just got a Pocket PC and I've got every cache in SD county (that I haven't found) loaded up with GPX Spinner, too easy. Was a date decided for the paperless event? I still wanna attend.

D!

Hey Now! Thanks for the links, TG. I just got a Pocket PC and I've got every cache in SD county (that I haven't found) loaded up with GPX Spinner, too easy. Was a date decided for the paperless event? I still wanna attend.

D!

Great to hear that you have all the caches loaded! But wait a week! :P

The paperless event date is still pending based on the availability of the room. Rocket Man knows the details. But all attendees should bring their new Palms or Pocket PCs so they can get the most bang for their buck!

Edited by TrailGators

Thanks a bunch Parsa and Trailgators for the links. They will be helpful. The date for the paperless caching info event has not been picked yet because I have to wait to find out meeting room availability from The Dillon Gang. It will most likely be on one of the Thursday evenings in April.

The event page will be posted as soon as I have the date.

RM

Thanks a bunch Parsa and Trailgators for the links. They will be helpful. The date for the paperless caching info event has not been picked yet because I have to wait to find out meeting room availability from The Dillon Gang. It will most likely be on one of the Thursday evenings in April.

RM

Where's it going to be?

Parsa

and here are some more links.......

PDA software and Paperless Caching

How to use CMConvert (a free gpx to pdb converter program)

and here are some more links.......

PDA software and Paperless Caching

How to use CMConvert (a free gpx to pdb converter program)

Geez, after studying all these OTHER webpages, I sure hope we leave some time to go caching! :D

Whats going on in there?  Reminds me of looking in the mirror at the mirror behind me which is looking at the mirror which is ... :D

bc03c75b-4fe6-4cfd-86e0-e6c7e2c387fa.jpg

Dan-Oh,

Here's Fifty-Fifty, one of the many ranch USB cats. I left one level for you to finish.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Changing the thread topic:

Maybe there should be a special award for FTS ( First to Solve ) for Puzzle Caches

What I propose, is when you figure out the coords to a puzzle cache, Write a message, email the coords to the owner. The owner verifies the coords and awards the FTS.

The reward ?? - Maybe, just bragging rights.

Second condition: One entry per person only.

Third condition: No posts to the web site prior to the FTF and owner acknowledgement.

What say you one, What say you all?

Claude

--SlideRule

Changing the thread topic:

Maybe there should be a special award for FTS ( First to Solve ) for Puzzle Caches

What I propose, is when you figure out the coords to a puzzle cache, Write a message, email the coords to the owner. The owner verifies the coords and awards the FTS.

The reward ?? - Maybe, just bragging rights.

Second condition: One entry per person only.

Third condition: No posts to the web site prior to the FTF and owner acknowledgement.

Claude

--SlideRule

I'd say just write a note on the page and claim yourself as FTS.

D!

Claude

--SlideRule

I'd say just write a note on the page and claim yourself as FTS.

D!

Without verification? Im not sure.

But, I did have the thought that if someone said 'I am a FTS' then someone else could email the FTS, ask about the coords and get the FTF without solving the puzzle.

I'll echo what Team Nazgul said on this, and that a solve is only half of the story when it comes to puzzles, and that a FTS is really just an "Incomplete". First to solve garners to me no more cachet than say...first to look at the page. I as a puzzle maker put the stock in FTF. I design puzzles to be solved and found, and that anything less than that is really just not my intention. It's FTF that matters to me (and may others as evidenced by the FTF races going on 'round here) if you want "bragging rights". I say this, as well, in the spirit that a lot of puzzle-cachers don't bother to ask for coord verification with the owner before going a-hunting, as part of the challenge with yourself, in that regard, is to see if your coords are good. If they are, bully for you! If not, you botched the puzzle solution. Back to beating your head with a 2 x 4 for inspiration.

I think it's fine if people want to claim FTS, but it's not relevant to me and my puzzles, so I'll refrain from awarding any "FTS" rights on mine. So you may know the solution, but as a wise man once said:

"Knowing....is half the battle."

--TT--

GoBolt and I had such a fabulous time last weekend that we're going back to the Lagunas this Saturday to hit the caches we didn't hit last weekend...join us if you'd like!

So what's the coordinates for the wedding?

The wedding is the 16th of April in Julian However comma it is just going to be the five of us (Tigger's Mango and I, The Pastor, The Carriage driver and last but not least the horse). Sorry :rolleyes:

PS We will be having a caching reception sort of thing at a cabin on MT. Laguna...date and time to be named later...we plan on releasing some caches in honor of the event...event attendee’s will have first shot at the new caches before they are released on the site.

GoBolt and I had such a fabulous time last weekend that we're going back to the Lagunas this Saturday to hit the caches we didn't hit last weekend...join us if you'd like!

So what's the coordinates for the wedding event?

The wedding is the 16th of April in Julian However comma it is just going to be the five of us (Tigger's Mango and I, The Pastor, The Carriage driver and last but not least the horse). Sorry :rolleyes:

PS We will be having a caching reception sort of thing at a cabin on MT. Laguna...date and time to be named later...we plan on releasing some caches in honor of the event...event attendee’s will have first shot at the new caches before they are released on the site.

Hot dang! so all we have to do t' crash th' wedding is t' spot a horse and carriage.

Us ol' cowboys will come a ridin' into town doin' a number seven.

Yeehaw!

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

By th' way, we ran across th' perfect wedding gift f'r Tigger's Mango. It's a hexadactyl collector's item.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/c966dc85-f...cc45aa3bfc1.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Thanks a bunch Parsa and Trailgators for the links.  They will be helpful.  The date for the paperless caching info event has not been picked yet because I have to wait to find out meeting room availability from The Dillon Gang.  It will most likely be on one of the Thursday evenings in April. 

RM

Where's it going to be?

Parsa

still working with RocketMan on firming the details. April looks to be the month for it.

Maybe there should be a special award for FTS ( First to Solve ) for Puzzle Caches...<snip>

FYI, SlideRule's cross-post in the big forums has taken on a life of its own.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=93831

I agree with TT's take on this FTS idea. If you are actually the first to solve a puzzle cache than why not just grab your GPS and reward yourself with the FTF?

Edited by TrailGators
I agree with TT's take on this FTS idea. If you are actually the first to solve a puzzle cache than why not just grab your GPS and reward yourself with the FTF?

When I started this thread, I thought that I had a good idea. The collective wisdom, is my idea was not too good.

Although, I feel that a person that solves a puzzle and contacts the owner of the puzzle should get some kind of pat on the back.

I was thinking about persons that are not able to get to the cache for whatever reason. Or the person that solves the puzzle, but wants to verify prior to the FTF.

But, then a puzzle is a puzzle, And Geocaching is Geocaching.

Obviously any FTF takes presidence over a FTS.

As far as I am concerned - You all have convienced me. I had a bad idea...

I was planning an outing this Saturday morning as the Adventure Pass requirement is waived the last Saturday of the month. However, I'm planning on starting at 6A.

What time will you folks be starting?

Anyone interested on an early start, let me know.

So who has/will have a new Palm in time for this great event? :)

I do! I do!! Just came in the mail today....Palm Zire 21. Can't open the package until I finish logging the 28 finds from last weekend....(yeah right). Been out of town for a few days and trying to catch up...lots of good info posted here on paperless caching...thanks everyone for your input. Thursdays are not the best night for the "blonds" but one us us will make a showing to the paperless event what ever night it is. Drove through Borrego today...the flowers and people are still out. If you're headed that way, make a point of driving down Henderson Canyon to the citrus groves. Acres and acres of orange and grapefruit blossoms.

Edited by blonds run amuck

I was planning an outing this Saturday morning as the Adventure Pass requirement is waived the last Saturday of the month. However, I'm planning on starting at 6A.

We will be a mile from the Mt. Laguna Ranger station for the weekend...

Going up Friday night...returning Sunday night....have room if you need a place to stay...or just to take a break.

I might go up with you folks to the Lagunas on Saturday. The weather guys are predicting a nice day (though they've been wrong a lot lately).

Several of the caches I found up there are now history, including the first cache in the county. I always enjoyed caching up here. There are about seven or eight that are still there that I've found. However, I still want to get a few, especially the ones to the west that require longer hikes.

Other Side Of Corral Canyon by p.wood (GCMQ26) (on the way from the south)

MOO!! by sunD.I.N.K.S. (GCKFND)

View to the Stars by Traveling Man & Billy Goat Bob (GCEB08)

Snail Rock by Branden, LocalAdventures.com, and Todd's Team (GCG6KM)

BUG'S EYE VIEW by Splashman & Splashette (GCKHH7)

Paul Bunyan's Wrath by Troop 622 (logged by FinsInc) (GCN5XK) The new one.

Woodchuck Chips by splashman & splashette (GCK61W)

WHERE AM I ? by rednlarry With Always Lost & Billy Goat Bob (GCM1D0)

Phoenix Cache (formaly the Auf Widersehen Cache) by Zcat & Mr_uu (GC37B1) I hiked up here once B.G. (before-geocaching). I don't know why it's formal....

Special Delivery by T. R. Violin (GCM3CZ)

Happy Tree Inspiration by splashman & splashette (GCK61T)

Vector This by T. R. Violin (GCJZPE)

But I especially want to get the ones on hikes to the west of Sunrise:

Champagne Summit by Jnglkat & Bronco Bob (GCB6A)

Nobel Cache by Dave & Mike (GC9C3)

Big Tree Down by T. R. Violin (GCJZP1)

The Back Side by Soul Searchers (Andy,Helena,Mike,Ozzie) (GCA4AB)

Wild Wild Laguna by RedNLarry with Alwayslost and Joanie (GCHPBM)

Bilbo's Book Exchange by nomadicfrog (GCKNAB) (the terrain on this sounds over-rated)

The area around the lake where The Back Side is located is one of the most beautiful places in the county. There's probably actually water in the lakes now, not like the last time I went when they were just giant hog wallows of mud.

There are also the caches off Deer Park Road:

Moooo Stopper by splashman & splashette (GCK5RK)

Watering Holes by splashman & splashette (GCK5RR)

The Old Spice Cache by Duscwe! (GCM24N)

Old Burma Road by SPLASHMAN & SPLASHETTE (GCK3EQ)

Which caches were you thinking about getting?

Parsa

Going up Friday night...returning Sunday night....have room if you need a place to stay...or just to take a break.

I see you've done most of the easier ones on the road, so you also need the ones that require a hike.

Parsa

I see you've done most of the easier ones on the road, so you also need the ones that require a hike.

Parsa

Yes it was nasty, wet, windy and cold so we stuck to the close ones (Tiger's Mango’s fingers get cold) we are looking forward to an actual hike this time.

You or anyone else is welcome to stay at the cabin with us or use it as a place to take a break.

Parsa

O boy! O boy! we can't wait t' read y'r log entries f'r Snail Rock cache. Take a look at how many entries there are. Oddly enough you can drive within a quarter-mile of th' cache. Then y' get t' crawl on all-fours for a while. Don't f'rget t' have fun.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

So what's the plan for Saturday (or Saturday and Sunday)?

We should pick a place to meet, a radio frequency, and maybe exchange phone numbers.

I emailed Chuy, and I might go up somewhat early and do some of the ones on the road. Then I can join ya'll for the hikes.

Parsa

So what's the coordinates for the wedding event?

The wedding is the 16th of April in Julian However comma it is just going to be the five of us (Tigger's Mango and I, The Pastor, The Carriage driver and last but not least the horse). Sorry :D

Hot dang! so all we have to do t' crash th' wedding is t' spot a horse and carriage.

Us ol' cowboys will come a ridin' into town doin' a number seven.

Yeehaw!

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

By th' way, we ran across th' perfect wedding gift f'r Tigger's Mango. It's a hexadactyl collector's item.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/c966dc85-f...cc45aa3bfc1.jpg

Whats a "number seven"?

Edited by GoBolt