The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Maybe have some handouts, so we don't have to worry about forgetting everything as soon as we leave. Cheat sheets for how to do things. Downloads we may need, and where to get them. Step-by-step instructions. Some of us are really clueless and :unsure::blink:

Maybe the techies could split the work, depending on which type of GPSr & PC/Mac & internet hookup (cable, wifi, AOL, etc.) Then they could get together to share & make sure all questions are answered before the event. I know it is a lot of work, but if a sheet could be made for each possible combination, that would be great. (ie. 60cs, pc, aol, hint, hint. ;) )

I am already almost done with an electronic cheat sheet for "Downloads we may need, and where to get them." It will contain links that you can just click on to get to the download pages for the various applications.

As far as cheat sheets for the various combinations and permutations of software/hardware goes, I want to have those as well, but there will obviously have to be some limits. I will need help creating some sheets since I am not an expert on all the software/hardware out there. I will probably make up a sample cheat sheet for the hardware/software I know and then see if I can get volunteers to make up similar cheat sheets for some other combinations. I am thinking that 2 or 3 cheat sheets can cover the most common hardware/software.

Rocket Man

<snip>

If price is an object then you can use JASC Paint Shop Pro 9.0 instead of Photo Shop Premier. Of course there's even some decent lite versions.

I use both packages both personally and professionally. Photo Shop Premier has a more extensive range of features but Paint Shop Pro 9.0 is a very good package as well and is much less costly.

I use a legal version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 here at work. It runs about $90 in the store. I use Photoshop 6.0 only at home because its parental lineage is questionable. I like that Elements and the full version are so similar, its nearly seamless switching between the two.

Photo editing is great for digital camera color correction, resizing images, contrast adjustment, cropping and of course for splicing Janet Reno's head onto that model's body. :unsure:

Hey Dave would it be too off-base to have a separate table setup at the paperless caching event to give demos on how to use these photo editing tools? :blink:

Here's my comment: Taking away that memorial is BS.

Weighing in on an issue is what I want to avoid.

Specific question: What do you think about the appropriateness of a cache for an issue or cause?

I don't see any controversy...It is a memorial to honor the dead/people who served this country. The money raised goes for up keep...The cache encourages giving however comma it is nor required. A lot of caches have themes but how many people keep with the theme?

Dave

PS Dan-Oh I think bingo is wrong/controversial please remove your cache it offends me :unsure:

I enjoy thought-provoking caches.

You mean like a Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache?

A shameless plug but those caches were a lot of fun! :unsure: Too bad we didn't have a ladder for #3! Maybe you cowboys could leave some coordinates where we could borrow a ladder next time we are down that way...I mean down that-a-ways! :blink:

Here's my comment: Taking away that memorial is BS.

Weighing in on an issue is what I want to avoid.

Specific question: What do you think about the appropriateness of a cache for an issue or cause?

I like the idea. It gives all of us a chance to reflect on some pretty dramatic changes that are happening in our society these days. I enjoy thought-provoking caches.

I like thought-provoking caches too, but the thing is that if you start allowing caches with a cause, you have to allow them all, and it could get very messy very quickly. What if someone posted a cache where the coords were an abortion clinic, and suggested that you think about what was going on inside? There are plenty of other ways to be active on the issues you feel strongly about, without turning caching into a means to deliver politics (not you personally TG or Dan-oh of course).

The site guidelines say: "Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda." I think that covers it and should be kept to. Though I don't think that particular cache on Mt Soledad is a particularly incendiary one, it's still a bit surprising that it got approved.

I like thought-provoking caches too, but the thing is that if you start allowing caches with a cause, you have to allow them all, and it could get very messy very quickly.

Good point. I'll admit that this one rides the edge but in my view stays in bounds. I still view this one as honoring the brave souls that gave up their lives for our country. That is something that nobody can ever take away from them!

I enjoy thought-provoking caches.

Y'all mean like a Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache?

A shameless plug but those caches were a lot of fun! :blink: Too bad we didn't have a ladder for #3. Maybe you cowboys could leave some coordinates where we could borrow a ladder next time we are down that way...I mean down that-a-ways! :unsure:

Shazam TrailGators, y'all are gettin' purty good with y'r cowboy lingo.

Yes, I shorely do admit that it was a shameless appeal f'r more cowboy-cache finders. Ain't nothin' better'n trickin' city slickers.

Say, ol' Bud th' ranch dawg died last month. Maybe we should set up a memorial cross f'r him.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
I like thought-provoking caches too, but the thing is that if you start allowing caches with a cause, you have to allow them all, and it could get very messy very quickly.

Good point. I'll admit that this one rides the edge but in my view stays in bounds. I still view this one as honoring the brave souls that gave up their lives for our country. That is something that nobody can ever take away from them!

They're not taking the monument to the servicemen/women away, they're taking the *cross* away. (Well, eventually they might do it.)

Separation of church and state is part of the state and federal constitution.

Say your wife says "no more caching"  take it back...yes if you don’t want it any longer you get your money back. 

Money back guarantee on exchanging the wife? Wow! :unsure:

:blink: He'd better not try to trade me in!!! I'm from Oklahoma where we don't even have REI...money back guarantee....geeez! ;)

Edited by tigger's mango
Say, ol' Bud th' ranch dawg died last month. Maybe we should set up a memorial cross f'r him.

Sounds like a great idea! :) But seriously, I'm sorry to hear about ol' Bud. It's always a tough thing to lose a best friend like that! If it wasn't for my dog I'd never get jumped on and licked in the face everyday when I got home from work. :)

Say your wife says "no more caching"  take it back...yes if you don’t want it any longer you get your money back. 

Money back guarantee on exchanging the wife? Wow! :)

:) He'd better not try to trade me in!!! I'm from Oklahoma where we don't even have REI...money back guarantee....geeez! :)

Tigger's mango,

Maybe you should hang on to th' ol' girl. After all y' don't often see a gal with eleven fangers. An extra fanger on an Okie has t' be some good don't it? She could hold an extra rein for another mule on her plow.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

94d7c18b-33bd-4f6a-ab2b-ca986b6b9936.jpg

Sounds like a great idea! :) But seriously, I'm sorry to hear about ol' Bud. It's always a tough thing to lose a best friend like that! If it wasn't for my dog I'd never get jumped on and licked in the face everyday when I got home from work. :)

Thanks for the considerate comment about ol' Bud. In human years ol' Bud was about 105-years old. Mostly he just lay around soakin' up the sun except for when a Bob Cat showed up in the pasture. Visitors to the ranch soon learned that when they petted ol' Bud he would lean-heavy on them and hook their leg with his leg and big ol' paw.

We've still got Ghost, Shadow, and Spike not counting eight geese, six ducks, nine goats, four horses, uncountable cats, two ponds full of fish, three ol' cowboys, and three fiesty cowgirls.

Life is good,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Wow, I am new to the forums here....This thread is huge. There are so many topics going on here that is a little hard to follow. Maybe the moderator will make this its own forum??? Good/Bad idea??? :)

Welcome to the game and to the forum, Green Dolphin. I would say that this is not a normal forum day. There have actually been several times when noone writes to the San Diego Thread for 4+ days! This level of activity is a bit unusual but a few people have had their moments in the past.

So....I'll write it so noone else has to. "Moderators, we don't need no stinkin moderators!". :):):D

Separation of church and state is part of the state and federal constitution.

Actually, I don't think it's part of the Federal Constitution.

Good for you QD-Man...You are correct it is not part of the constitution...even though 99% of Americans think it is. It is part of the Bill of Rights...or at least the intent...the intent was to keep the state out of the church not the other way around. They (The Founding Fathers) left England to escape religious persecution by a State-run church and wanted to make sure that the same thing did not happen here.

However comma...I think we are way off of what Dan-Oh was asking...he was asking "What do you think about the appropriateness of a cache for an issue or cause?" In my opinion, this cache is not for an issue or cause...The owner of the cache has even put his own money in the cache for people to donate if they would so like. Also, the organization that cares for the memorial is not a church or religious group--but a non profit group of the American Legion. Mt. Soledad is a memorial to this country's heroes...with or without the cross.

I would rather see a cache like this that is free...than one like "The Cave Store" where you have to pay $4.00 to a private party. :)

Edited by GoBolt

Good for you QD-Man...You are correct it is not part of the constitution...even though 99% of Americans think it is. It is part of the Bill of Rights...or at least the intent...

Not to be a complete civics nitpick, but the "Bill of Rights" being only the first ten of twenty-seven additions to the Constitution are actually called Articles of Amendment -- which supplement the original seven Articles. The amendments proposed by the first Congress were sent out as "Articles in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America," and the term "article" is used in self-application in all the amendments since the Twelfth, except the Seventeenth, which uses the term "amendment." This would seem to give official sanction to calling the amendments "articles," but as it causes some confusion, they are better placed by the use of "amendment" only, with the proper number. According to the Archivist of the United States, they are a de facto part of (and not seperate from) the Constitution.

So Dr. Boggis is technically correct. I wonder what his O-levels were in Civics?

--TT--

I know I'm being juvenile but...

I SKUNKED TT!

He is having trouble with my puzzle cache! (GCN441) LOL :P:D:D:blink::lol::huh:

Here is a hint for everyone (kind-of). The person that found it is into computers; I used to be.

He probably stayed up all night until he solved it! B) Now that he has, any more hints for the rest of us? My teenage computer kid is as stumped as I am...... Of course, he has no clue what Chitty, Chitty Bnag, Bang is all about! :D

Good for you QD-Man...You are correct it is not part of the constitution...even though 99% of Americans think it is.  It is part of the Bill of Rights...or at least the intent...

Not to be a complete civics nitpick, but the "Bill of Rights" being only the first ten of twenty-seven additions to the Constitution are actually called Articles of Amendment -- which supplement the original seven Articles. The amendments proposed by the first Congress were sent out as "Articles in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America," and the term "article" is used in self-application in all the amendments since the Twelfth, except the Seventeenth, which uses the term "amendment." This would seem to give official sanction to calling the amendments "articles," but as it causes some confusion, they are better placed by the use of "amendment" only, with the proper number. According to the Archivist of the United States, they are a de facto part of (and not seperate from) the Constitution.

So Dr. Boggis is technically correct. I wonder what his O-levels were in Civics?

--TT--

The exact language of the First Amendment of the Federal Constitution is:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...."

Article I, Section 4 of the California Constitution goes a little bit further:

"Free exercise and enjoyment of religion without discrimination or preference are guaranteed. This liberty of conscience does not excuse acts that are licentious or inconsistent with the peace or safety of the State. The Legislature shall make no

law respecting an establishment of religion."

Reasonable men of today's era seem to have wildly differing views as to whether this language requires the cross at Soledad to be removed. I certainly have my own personal views, but you will have to ask me to express them somewhere other than here.......

Nice catch on the codeword only. I missed that one. I have temporarily archived the cache until the hider can place a logbook.

On a different note, regarding the cache discussed above with a donation request, please remember that cache pages can be edited. I don't know that this is the case here, but with the donation request this one clearly is not within the guidelines, regardless of our personal opinions on the subject matter.

Sometimes a cache that has been listed that is in compliance with the guidelines at the time of submission has the description changed by the cache owner after the fact.

The only ways a reviewer will be aware of this is when a "Needs Archived" log is posted, someone sends us an email to bring it to our attention or we happen to see a discussion in the forums such as this one.

Please feel free to email either SoCalAdmin or myself if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Edited by WestCoastAdmin
I know I'm being juvenile but...

I SKUNKED  TT!

He is having trouble with my puzzle cache! (GCN441) LOL :blink:  :lol:  :huh:  :P  :D  B)

Here is a hint for everyone (kind-of).  The person that found it is into computers; I used to be.

He probably stayed up all night until he solved it! :D Now that he has, any more hints for the rest of us? My teenage computer kid is as stumped as I am...... Of course, he has no clue what Chitty, Chitty Bnag, Bang is all about! :D

Not trying to blow my own horn but this only took about 30 seconds to solve, but then again, I'm a computer geek. Flagman, feel free to call for hint if you need, since I owe you atleast a dozen. :D:DB)

On a different note,  regarding the cache discussed above with a donation request, please remember that cache pages can be edited. I don't know that this is the case here, but with the donation request this one clearly is not within the guidelines, regardless of our personal opinions on the subject matter.

Lol Well I guess that answers Dan-Oh's question...

Dave

PS I once again would like to apologize to my new caching family...

I believe I have made my self the south end of a north going horse...sorry! :blink:

On a different note,  regarding the cache discussed above with a donation request, please remember that cache pages can be edited. I don't know that this is the case here, but with the donation request this one clearly is not within the guidelines, regardless of our personal opinions on the subject matter.

Lol Well I guess that answers Dan-Oh's question...

Dave

PS I once again would like to apologize to my new caching family...

I believe I have made my self the south end of a north going horse...sorry! :blink:

No need for an apology Dave! I swung and missed on that one too! I totally skimmed over the donation part. Anyhow no biggie. The upside is that it did generate some thought provoking discussion and I learned a few things too!

But what I'd really like to know is why can't some people just leave well enough alone? Why make a big deal over something that has been there for 90+ years and isn't hurting a darn fly? Whatever happened to live and let live? Maybe somebody knows the answer to that one? I know when I eventually sign the log for that cache (once the donation part is removed) that's what I'll be wondering.

984d6f25-0697-40c1-a6bc-8b435a266c7e.jpg

Here’s the real deal with regard to issues that divide. Take the long view.

We are all rocketing along on a molten orb of iron that’s doing about 66,000 mph around the sun and the sun is rocketing along at about 300,000 mph around the galaxy. So at dawn your own head is actually sticking out ahead of a huge ball of iron that is spiraling through space at about 366,000 mph.

Eventually the process of fusion at the core of our sun will fail due to depletion of matter. Then the remaining mass of the sun will collapse and then rebound to become a red giant with a radius that coincides with the orbit of the earth. At that time the earth and everything on it will be reduced to a variety of insignificant subatomic particles. Yes, including each and every Geocache container and all the GeoSwag as well.

Only then will the issues that divide truly be resolved. Well, you know, unless something really bad happens first.

That’s th’ cowboy point of view.

You’re welcome,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
Eventually the process of fusion at the core of our sun will fail due to depletion of matter. Then the remaining mass of the sun will collapse and then rebound to become a red giant with a radius that coincides with the orbit of the earth. At that time the earth and everything on it will be reduced to a variety of insignificant subatomic particles. Yes, including each and every Geocache container and all the GeoSwag as well.

Only then will the issues that divide truly be resolved. Well, you know, unless something really bad happens first.

I get your drift! :lol:

984d6f25-0697-40c1-a6bc-8b435a266c7e.jpg

Here’s the real deal with regard to issues that divide. Take the long view.

We are all rocketing along on a molten orb of iron that’s doing about 66,000 mph around the sun and the sun is rocketing along at about 300,000 mph around the galaxy. So at dawn your own head is actually sticking out ahead of a huge ball of iron that is spiraling through space at about 366,000 mph.

That’s th’ cowboy point of view.

You’re welcome,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

The condensed version: Don't worry, be happy! :lol:

6adec8af-de8f-4f0c-8e73-0e67720275f7.jpg

The condensed version: Don't worry, be happy!  :unsure:

Thank you Pqmommy, well said.

Honestly what works for me is to repeat those famous words from Sargeant Schultz: "I Know Nothing!" :lol:

By the way, Sargeant Schultz would be a great name for a dog! :wacko:

Edit: Almost forgot to thank Pqmommy for getting that Bobby McFerrin song stuck in my head!

Edited by TrailGators

Ok, another hint. I used to be in computer maintenance. We used ASCII, hex, octal, and...... :unsure:

Machine programming was always fun. Thankfully, we didn't have to do it but once in a blue moon. :lol:

There are two numbering systems. One for alpha. One for numerical.

As far as caches with underlying messages go, I guess all of the logs kind of answers why they aren't such a good idea. Location may be ok (ie. Mt. Soledad has beautiful views) but the write-up should stay non-judgemental.

You think Major General's Song is bad, I've had this one going through my head all day....probably cause I had to sing it once at a Frat event. Ahh...the memories.

:lol:

It's simply the names of the chemical elements set to "The Major General's Song."

``There's antimony, arsenic, aluminum, selenium,

And hydrogen and oxygen and nitrogen and rhenium

And nickel, neodymium, neptunium, germanium,

And iron, americium, ruthenium, uranium,

Europium, zirconium, lutetium, vanadium

And lanthanum and osmium and astatine and radium

And gold, protactinium and indium and gallium.......

And iodine and thorium and thulium and thallium.

``There's yttrium, ytterbium, actinium, rubidium

And boron, gadolinium, niobium, iridium

And strontium and silicon and silver and samarium,

And bismuth, bromine, lithium, beryllium and barium.

``There's holmium and helium and hafnium and erbium

And phosphorous and francium and fluorine and terbium

And manganese and mercury, molybdenum, magnesium,

Dysprosium and scandium and cerium and cesium

And lead, praseodymium, and platinum, plutonium,

Paladium, promethium, potassium, polonium, and

Tantalum, technetium, titanium, tellurium........

And cadmium and calcium and chromium and curium.

``There's sulfur, californium and fermium, berkelium

And also mendelevium, einsteinium and nobelium

And argon, krypton, neon, radon, xenon, zinc and rhodium

And chlorine, carbon, cobalt, copper,

Tungsten, tin and sodium.

``These are the only ones of which the news has come to Harvard,

And there may be many others but they haven't been discovered.''

9a6d9311-68e3-400a-8ef4-26d08d2d2c8d.jpg

The condensed version: Don't worry, be happy!  :lol:

Thank you Pqmommy, well said.

Whats going on in there?

Reminds me of looking in the mirror at the mirror behind me which is looking at the mirror which is... :blink:

OK, here's my pup!

ed904e78-f598-4c3e-8f07-5d3ddfa820a8.jpg

Lacey is 9 year old Cairn Terrier and she is built for caching! In case you don't know, "Cairn" means rock pile in Gaelic. Cairn's were bred in Scotland to pull rodents out of rock piles. So I figure I can get Lacey to pull caches out out of rock piles, especially if it is one of those Team Nohoch caches that is a rat! :wacko: I'm not sure what's up with this 60's thing she is going through. Hopefully it is a passing phase! :unsure:

By the way, nice effect with the video camera feeding back on it's own output on the monitor Harmon!

Edited by TrailGators

As retribution for trying to trade me in, GoBolt is taking me to the cabin in the Lagunas for the weekend....does anyone have any caching advice for the Mt. Laguna area? I'd really appreciate it...maybe even buy you some pie???!!! [:lol:] Thanks in advance! P.S. If you would like to join us this weekend, call GoBolt (619) 206-3366 and we can hook up!

Rocketman,

Here are a few Mac-geocaching resource sites to obtain links for one of the cheat sheets:

Geocaching Using a Mac

Paperless Geocaching with a Mac

Don't let the pig freak you out.

GPSes and Mac Users forum thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favorite Palm-GPS web sites is:

Navigation and the Palm OS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some miscellaneous sites I use:

GIS links for free digital maps and aerial photos for each state (for use with digital mapping software)

http://www.doylesdartden.com/gis/

California Digital Raster Graphics (free digital topo maps for CA)

http://drg.casil.ucdavis.edu/

The UK still has Mapquest with Lat and Long search (even for the USA):

http://www.mapquest.co.uk/cgi-bin/ia_find?...ng_degrees_form

Coordinate converters:

http://boulter.com/gps/

http://www.dmap.co.uk/ll2tm.htm

http://www.cfdcnan.bc.ca/cifrp/conversion/geoutm%5B1%5D.htm

GPS Coordinate Grabber (Great for locationless caches. It grabs all coordinates on a web page (or a text file you load to the web).

http://boulter.com/gps/grabber/

Geocaching Quick Search:

http://boulter.com/gqs/

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

By the way, nice effect with the video camera feeding back on it's own output on the monitor Harmon!

Thanks TrailGators,

Actually I shot a still and loaded it onto the computer for display and then shot another still. On close inspection you'll see that the pose differs in the two images. My intent was to go about four deep like that with the images but the ranch cowgirls kept taking the puppy away from me. In the end it seems that I had some very excellent help a few quotes back.

Had to shoot several second shots to capture the same puppy pose. We'll give your idea about a name some serious consideration.

Lacey is a killer. Figured you'd have a dog with a couple of white socks.

Harmon

45492739-aa0a-4734-8c27-6ff42cfc1cd1.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks TrailGators,

Actually I shot a still and loaded it onto the computer for display and then shot another still. On close inspection you'll see that the pose differs in the two images. My intent was to go about four deep like that with the images but the ranch cowgirls kept taking the puppy away from me. In the end it seems that I had some very excellent help a few quotes back.

Had to shoot several second shots to capture the same puppy pose. We'll give your idea about a name some serious consideration.

Lacy is a killer. Figured you'd have a dog with a couple of white socks.

Harmon

That is pretty cool! I didn't notice the slight difference in the photos.

Actually, Lacey has several white socks! She likes to steal my socks and run around the house with them. She is ~65 dog years old and she still acts like a puppy. What is fascinating to watch is how she stretches the sock between her front paws and her mouth like she is pulling a rat out of a cairn. Then she'll growl fiercely while rapidly shaking the sock back and forth like she is trying to break the rat's neck. Her instincts are pretty fun and amazing to watch.

Nice job on the MAC stuff Parsa! Here are some more useful links (mainly PC):

Palm Users: How to use Cachemate

Pocket PC Users: How to use various applications

Geocacher University

Boulter's Express Logger

Waypoint Workbench - Can import gpx if you select ExpertGPS

List of Online Maps (Click on "Online Maps" link)

Southern California Geocachers

More Geocaching links

Affordable Palms online

A Look at Some Geocaching History - Pretty cool!

Edited by TrailGators