The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I just got all juiced up with my 60CS and the City Select maps today.  This is not fair -- it's got to be cheating big time!  The little box of tricks now tells me turn-by-turn how to get to the cache!  How do it know???  You can just type in an address and it will take you there.  Its all pure magic to me.... :(

Ours (60C) just came today too. It is our anniversary present to each other. Romantic, huh! ;)

It is if you punch in "Lookout Point" and hit "Go To"! A left here..a right there...butta bing! :(

I just got all juiced up with my 60CS and the City Select maps today.  This is not fair -- it's got to be cheating big time!  The little box of tricks now tells me turn-by-turn how to get to the cache!  How do it know???  You can just type in an address and it will take you there.  Its all pure magic to me.... :(

Ours (60C) just came today too. It is our anniversary present to each other. Romantic, huh! ;)

It is if you punch in "Lookout Point" and hit "Go To"! A left here..a right there...butta bing! :(

It even had the Hamburger Factory programmed in! Now I have two things/people telling me how to drive! ;)

I've been trying to figure out GSAK to work with Cachemate. After hours and hours, ;) I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Have fun going "paperless." :(

Yeah! :( I did it! I just loaded 475 waypoints from GSAK into my GPSr. I've got the same waypoints on my palm. I'm ready to go caching!!

Now if I had a map like that one Trailgators posted for the Elsinore caches at least I'd know which to do first...

Still playing around with GSAK and reading online HELP. There is a lot of stuff to absorb there. Any tips or tricks anyone wants to pass along?

Any tips or tricks anyone wants to pass along?

When RM, TG and I were going for 100 caches in one day, we actually considered the possibility of hiring a limo driver and a logger so we could just drive around sipping champagne while the GPSr and our peeps did all the hard work for us! "Driver, stop here. Logger, there's another NOHOCH 1/1 micro 100 feet over there. Hint says, 'Fence Post.' Chop, Chop!" :lol:

Edited by FlagMan
Any tips or tricks anyone wants to pass along?

When RM, TG and I were going for 100 caches in one day, we actually considered the possibility of hiring a limo driver and a logger so we could just drive around sipping champagne while the GPSr and our peeps did all the hard work for us! "Driver, stop here. Logger, there's another NOHOCH 1/1 micro 100 feet over there. Hint says, 'Fence Post.' Chop, Chop!" :)

:lol:

Now if I had a map like that one Trailgators posted for the Elsinore caches at least I'd know which to do first...

You'll have to talk to Rocket Man about that....he was the one that posted that map. :lol:

Right-click within the map and then select either "Save picture as" or "Print Picture."

Good morning San Diego!

Sumrall (Tigger's Mango) and I are going after the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

War, Famine, Pestilence & Death by NCad.

We will be hitting the trail at about noon (today). If any one would like to join us call me.

619-206-3366

Dave

PS Not sure where the best place to park is...I think it is East of the cache but will take a look when we arrive.

Edited by GoBolt

We had a great time caching around Lake Elsinore and in the area surrounding Route 74 to the West. I would highly recommend it. The caching team included: The Geobabes (Splashette and $kimmer), TucsonThompsen, Parsa, one of the Blonds Run Amuck, Trailgators and Rocket Man. Trailgators and I had to head back south at 4:00 pm with 25 caches under our belts. The rest of the crew kept caching to take advantage of the remaining daylight. Thanks to the whole gang for making this a fun time.

Edit: TT - I have your sweatshirt and more importantly your calendar. I don't think that Mrs. Rocket Man wants me to keep the calendar :huh:

Caching

7ec85e11-86bc-446f-bd0b-abaea345d7f1.jpg

On the San Juan Loop Trail

5658dcbf-25c4-4a7e-bf10-ac7974eee3b3.jpg

Having Lunch at the Lookout Road House

347b2d0f-a8d1-4e9d-8502-77e8c21277a5.jpg

Edit: Fixed image link.

Edited by Rocket Man

So... GoBolt's a Dave too eh?

Folks, we have far too many Daves around here!

For all the Daves, I offer this poem by Dr. Seuss.

Perhaps you should each take one of the alternate names as your own.

TOO MANY DAVES

Dr. Seuss

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave

Had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?

Well, she did. And that wasn't a smart thing to do.

You see, when she wants one and calls out, "Yoo-Hoo!

Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get ONE.

All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!

This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'

As you can imagine, with so many Daves.

And often she wishes that, when they were born,

She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn

And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.

And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.

And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.

And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.

Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.

Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.

And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.

One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.

And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.

And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.

And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt

And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt

And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate...

But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

Parsa (a Steve) :huh:

So... GoBolt's a Dave too eh?

Folks, we have far too many Daves around here!

For all the Daves, I offer this poem by Dr. Seuss.

And I offer this ditty by Bruce McCulloch.

These are the Daves I know, I know

These are the Daves I know.

These are the Daves I know, I know

These are the Daves I know.

David Hoffner, he works in my dad's store

He's worked here for 12 years, he'll probably work here four more.

Refrain

Dave Gord, I've known him since I was six

In grade eight he broke his leg, so we got drunk and sick.

Refrain

Some of them are Davids...

"But most of us are Daves"

They all have their own hands

but they come from different moms.

Refrain

Dave Jadisky, man this cat can swing

He weighs almost 50 pounds and he delivers my paper on time.

Refrain

Dave Capisano, I hardly know him...

*pause*

Refrain

Daves: "We are the Daves he knows he knows,

We are the Daves he knows.

We are the Daves he knows he knows,

We are the Daves he knows.

Some of us are Davids, but most of us are Daves.

We all have our own hands but we come from different moms."

These are the Daves I know I know

"We are the Daves he knows he knows"

These are the...

"DAVES!"

For all of those wagering in your office pools, the final numbers are in:

$kimmer's haul today:

29 caches.....$3.41 taken out in mostly fiddling small change.

She is the $kimmer after all.

(scary thing is she claims to have purloined over $300 out of the 1500+ caches she's found!)

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Just a quick note here....

I'm relocating with my family to Phoenix (Glendale) Arizona in about 2 weeks, if anyone wants any of my caches here in San Diego i'll be glad to let them be adopted since i will not be able to maintain them anymore.

Chris

Did you notice my socks today, Harmon? Do I get extra points today!  :huh:

Anyhow, back to the Dave thread....here's one of my favorite "Dave" quotes:

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

TrailGators,

Yes, that's the first thing I looked for in the photos. Nice job on the bunched socks. Nice t' see a man take an interest in his Geocaching attire.

Yep, that cancels out the four style points y' lost at Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 8.

Tell me true, did th' Geobabes have anything to do with this?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
For all of those wagering in your office pools, the final numbers are in:

$kimmer's haul today:

29 caches.....$3.41 taken out in mostly fiddling small change.

She is the $kimmer after all.

(scary thing is she claims to have purloined over $300 out of the 1500+ caches she's found!)

--TT--

What, $kimmer didn't fess up to the diamond ring she found at Laguna Junction?

Did you notice my socks today, Harmon? Do I get extra points today!  :huh:

Anyhow, back to the Dave thread....here's one of my favorite "Dave" quotes:

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

TrailGators,

Yes, that's the first thing I looked for in the photos. Nice job on the bunched socks. Nice t' see a man take an interest in his Geocaching attire.

Yep, that cancels out the four style points y' lost at Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache No. 8.

Tell me true, did th' Geobabes have anything to do with this?

Harmon

904cb195-d31b-453c-b8ea-d3483b6c261d.jpg

I was shoving dem dang things down all day long so that Dave wouldn't git anudder photo of dem crawlin' backup to where dey seem to wanna to be all da time! Dey seem to have a mind of der own ya know! The Geobabes didn't say nuthin' but dey noticed I had them down today! Maybe I should be in GQ now! :huh:

I'm relocating with my family to Phoenix (Glendale) Arizona in about 2 weeks, if anyone wants any of my caches here in San Diego i'll be glad to let them be adopted since i will not be able to maintain them anymore.

Chris

Good luck on the move Chris. Sandy Eggo and Phoenix seem to trade residents back and forth so you're always welcome back. :huh:

As for the caches, its way too far south for some of us North County folk. Seems like all of my caches are withing 2 miles of my house. Dunno if thats bad or good.

Chris

Good luck on the move Chris. Sandy Eggo and Phoenix seem to trade residents back and forth so you're always welcome back. :)

As for the caches, its way too far south for some of us North County folk. Seems like all of my caches are withing 2 miles of my house. Dunno if thats bad or good.

Thanks, should be fun, ive lived in San Diego for 30 years now (did i mention i just turned 30) and me and my wife have been wanting to get out of here for several years now because it just way too expensive to live here and not worth it in our opinions. so i looked into a transfer and i will be getting paid alot more and rent is cheaper! plus ill already know 3-4 others who have done this before me at the new job.

oh, and lots of new places to explore!

So I guess we should have a "Design The FlagMan Card" contest.  Anyone who wants to submit a design, please do so by Sunday evening....

I've only received submittals from two cachers so far (great stuff, by the way). Anyone else out there planning to submit anything? Where are those dang cowboys? And TT, Duscwe!, and some of the other Photoshop enthusiasts?

We had a great time caching around Lake Elsinore and in the area surrounding Route 74 to the West. I would highly recommend it. The caching team included: The Geobabes (Splashette and $kimmer), TucsonThompsen, Parsa, one of the Blonds Run Amuck, Trailgators and Rocket Man. Trailgators and I had to head back south at 4:00 pm with 25 caches under our belts. The rest of the crew kept caching to take advantage of the remaining daylight. Thanks to the whole gang for making this a fun time.

Edit: TT - I have your sweatshirt and more importantly your calendar. I don't think that Mrs. Rocket Man wants me to keep the calendar :)

Caching

7ec85e11-86bc-446f-bd0b-abaea345d7f1.jpg

On the San Juan Loop Trail

5658dcbf-25c4-4a7e-bf10-ac7974eee3b3.jpg

Having Lunch at the Lookout Road House

347b2d0f-a8d1-4e9d-8502-77e8c21277a5.jpg

Edit: Fixed image link.

Wanted to thank Rocket Man for all the work and organization with our caching safari yesterday. We all had a grand time with our assault on the Elsinore area.

Really enjoy the pictures. Wanted to congratulate Tucson Thompsen on reaching 1,800 caches during the day. And Trailgators for getting to 600, with trendy socks yet!

Hope I didn't give anybody any ideas about competing with me on the money side. As Harmon mentioned. I did score a $1,500.00 ring at the Splashes' Laguna Junction cache. Traded the ring in, got a new diamond for my engagement ring. Life is good. Now I am saving to buy a boat, just like Splashman's. I have a way to go.

On another subject, have an idea for Flagman's card. Don't have the photo expertise to produce it, but after trying for Flagman's Misdemeanors, think the card should depict Flagman in Wonder Woman's outfit! Just a thought.

Did ya feel that earthquake?

It was just south of the village up on Mt. Palomar.

This was it:

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Quakes/ci14131672.html

Here's the page to log your information:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/STORE/X1.../ciim_form.html

Here are the stats so far:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/STORE/X1...im_stats_1.html

Parsa

Yes, I felt it. I was sitting in Dudley's in Santa Ysabel. Cache_kid and I had just found the First of Manny and was enjoying a pastry. Some people thought a car had hit the building. There was so much going on in the store that I wasn't sure at first but after hearing a bunch of other people talk about it I knew it had to have been a quake. More like one big bump! Bonus to an incredible weekend.

If any of you haven't been out to see the flowers in Borrego and are still considering it. It is time to go. Some of the flowers are starting to wane but so many more are still in bloom. It is amazing to see a green desert and hills with deep yellows on them.

You can climb some ladders and slide down some snakes, too. Hehe. :lol:

Parsa

Watch out for CaCrazyOne, he's looks like a contender.

I spoke to him last night and he's 3/4 way through Snakes & Ladders...in just 4 hours! I think there are a few more obstacles before he meets the serpent though.

Pocket Queries, Paperless Caching and Other Useful Things

With the recent interest in Paperless Caching and all the great things that go with it, I have been thinking that maybe it is time to have an info session/event so that the geogeeks amongst us can share what we know with non techies and newbies out there. Similar events have been put on in other areas: Paperless Caching 101

What I am thinking of is to have it at a place where we can have a live presentation with a computer and a video projector. After the presentation, the folks that are already into paperless caching, can walk around and answer questions. If they could bring their laptops, that would be event better. I would be happy to coordinate the event and the presentation. I will need some help getting a meeting location and the projection equipment. I may be able to get a projector, but I don’t have a meeting room in mind.

I would like to find out if there is any interest in this type of event from: a. those looking to increase their geocaching technical knowledge and b. those who would be willing to share what they know. Please post your response here in this thread.

Also, if you have access to a meeting room (preferably with an internet connection), a video projector or a high speed wireless internet connected laptop (if the room doesn’t have internet), let me know via e-mail at igeocache@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dave (Rocket Man)

Edited by Rocket Man
Thanks, should be fun, ive lived in San Diego for 30 years now (did i mention i just turned 30) and me and my wife have been wanting to get out of here for several years now because it just way too expensive to live here and not worth it in our opinions. so i looked into a transfer and i will be getting paid alot more and rent is cheaper!  plus ill already know 3-4 others who have done this before me at the new job. 

oh, and lots of new places to explore!

Nice meeting you Chris.

If you want new maps for your Vista, you know where to find me.

I will take a looksey at your caches and get back to you.

Cya.

With the recent interest in Paperless Caching and all the great things that go with it, I have been thinking that maybe it is time to have an info session/event so that the geogeeks amongst us can share what we know with non techies and newbies out there. Similar events have been put on in other areas: Paperless Caching 101

What I am thinking of is to have it at a place where we can have a live presentation with a computer and a video projector. After the presentation, the folks that are already into paperless caching, can walk around and answer questions. If they could bring their laptops, that would be event better. I would be happy to coordinate the event and the presentation. I will need some help getting a meeting location and the projection equipment. I may be able to get a projector, but I don’t have a meeting room in mind.

I would like to find out if there is any interest in this type of event from: a. those looking to increase their geocaching technical knowledge and b. those who would be willing to share what they know. Please post your response here in this thread.

Also, if you have access to a meeting room (preferably with an internet connection), a video projector or a high speed wireless internet connected laptop (if the room doesn’t have internet), let me know via e-mail at igeocache@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dave (Rocket Man)

Great idea, but wait until after March 28, as that's my B'Day and I have asked for a PDA. After last Saturday, should have asked for a new GPSr too. What kind is your's again, RM? Also need to know where to get the best price. When we have all the equipment, will NEED your class deperately! Better rope Harmon in too, he's a regular wizard with all that stuff. Besides, it's something he can do while mending.

Will ask The Vulture if he knows of a place to hold this techie class.

Later.

Great idea, but wait until after March 28, as that's my B'Day and I have asked for a PDA. After last Saturday, should have asked for a new GPSr too. What kind is your's again, RM? Also need to know where to get the best price. When we have all the equipment, will NEED your class deperately! Better rope Harmon in too, he's a regular wizard with all that stuff. Besides, it's something he can do while mending.

Will ask The Vulture if he knows of a place to hold this techie class.

Later.

Info on GPS was sent. I could definitely use some help from Harmon, but he is probably more likely to do it if you ask him :( Let me know what Vulture says about a meeting place. Thanks, RM

Thanks,

Dave (Rocket Man)

Tigger's Mango and I would be interested in "the class" we're doing the paper thing and I will be doing the switch soooon.

Depending on when you held it, i could definitely bring a projector, possibly 3 laptops....however, i don't have wireless connection for them.

i would be willing to help out with any assistance you might need. paperless caching/powerpoint presentations.

The Escondido Public Library has free wireless internet (WiFi). They also have meeting rooms for stuff like this. Just make sure the room that's booked is in the building with the signals.

I'd be happy to bring my Macintosh to help folks with the software for paperless caching and map display. I know most of the options and difficulties involved since I've tried a lot of them.

I can also show off my Handspring Visor Prism with the Magellan GPS Companion plugged into it.

Parsa

The Escondido Public Library has free wireless internet (WiFi). They also have meeting rooms for stuff like this. Just make sure the room that's booked is in the building with the signals.

I'd be happy to bring my Macintosh to help folks with the software for paperless caching and map display. I know most of the options and difficulties involved since I've tried a lot of them.

I can also show off my Handspring Visor Prism with the Magellan GPS Companion plugged into it.

Parsa

Thanks Parsa and thanks to all the others that have already volunteered. The Dillon Gang has already gotten permission to use a classroom and a projector so it looks like this thing will be a go. If for some reason that doesn't work out, we can look into the Library option. I will post some suggested dates once I get room availability info from The Dillon Gang.

Once the date is firmed up, I will post the event page along with an agenda and other info on the event. What we will probably do is have several experts give presentations on the most common methods/applications and then have folks there to give one-on-one assistance on those and other methods/applications (e.g. Parsa can help Mac users and hopefully someone can help Pocket PC users who can't use the Palm application Cachemate).

RM

Here are the submittals for the new FlagMan card.

If anyone else want to send me something, I will update these images. Otherwise, I guess the voting should begin. :P

I think this is pretty obvious but I'll write it anyways. All of them, and lots of them.

The only one I noticed was missing was the "Tom in a Wonder Woman Outfit". That one might demand a high price on Ebay someday. :ninja::ninja::ninja: