The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

:blink::blink:

It looks like Harmon is hoping that someone brings pineapple upside-down cake.

5ec9d005-fb83-4d7c-ab4c-fdeac581d11a.jpg

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake for real Cowboys

Homemade Pineapple Upside-Down Cake is so ever-so good and plum' purdy. It's spacial enough for Geocaching Events.

1/4 cup butter

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

3/4 cup chopped pecans

20-ounce can of pineapple slices, drained, reserving 5 tablespoons juice

3 eggs, separated

1 cup sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

maraschino cherries

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Melt the butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Add the brown sugar and pecans; stir well to thoroughly combine, then turn off the heat -- don't cook it.

Arrange 8 pineapple slices in a single layer over the brown sugar mixture (your 9-inch skillet should accommodate 8 slices without overlapping). Set the skillet aside.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside.

Beat the egg yolks at medium speed until they are thick and lemon colored. Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat. Add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture, and stir in the reserved pineapple juice.

Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the cake batter. Pour or spoon the batter evenly over the pineapple slices.

Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool the cake in the skillet for 30 minutes; then invert it onto a serving plate. Place a maraschino cherry in the center of each pineapple ring.

Serve a large slice to a Sandy Creek Cowboy and watch him smile. :sad::mad::cry:

Edited by SD Rowdies
i wouldda thought cowboys like cobbler and apple pie.

5d8d0951-b5b4-405e-acec-7d689ede289c.jpg

Y'all got it right pardner, peach cobbler is th' devine dessert of Texas cowpokes.

Texas style Mesquite-smoked babby-back ri-ubs and peach cobbler will set y' free. Larrupin' good.

Thang is that Georgia peaches are hard t' come by so I figur'd I'd just put in f'r somethin' reasonable. 'Course I wouldn't turn down a mess o' peach cobbler either. Shore nuff I wouldn't.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Y'all got it right pardner, peach cobbler is th' devine desert of Texas cowpokes.

Texas style Mesquite-smoked babby-back ri-ubs and peach cobbler will set y' free. Larrupin' good.

Thang is that Georgia peaches are hard t' come by so I figur'd I'd just put in f'r somethin' reasonable. 'Course I wouldn't turn down a mess o' peach cobbler either. Shore nuff I wouldn't.

Merciful goodness, Harmon, speak English and I'll make you whatever dessert your heart desires! :)

REI seems to have a sale on the Magellan Explorist series, including the 500 for $319, which is a good price even if you buy it online. Judging by what's been said about REI's generous exchange policy, I'd say it's a good deal. The Explorists seem a bit bulky to my hands, but it's a good machine I think.

Parsa

Wal-Mart, a store which I seldom visit, has a great deal on the new rechargeable Energizer NiMH batteries. I got the new 2500 mAh batteries (which are a lot better than my former set of 1800 mAh Powerex batteries). The Great Battery Shootout rates these as one of the best batteries.

I bought a pack of 8 for less than $18, plus I bought a set of 4 AAAs for my older backup Palm.

I seem to have a "dumb Wal-Mart person" experience every single time I go to one. This time I was at the checkout counter and the girl said in a sort of sarcastic voice, "Well, those sure must be some good batteries." She must have thought I was stupid to buy $18 batteries.... I said, "They're not regular batteries, they're rechargable." "What does that mean, you can put them in the refrigerator?" [???] "Um, no... you can put them in a recharger and use them again." "Oh... that must be a new thing. So, you can reuse them a few times?" "Well, up to a thousand times if you're lucky." "Wow, so that could save you $1000." "Hmmmm, well, it will save you for maybe five hundred to a thousand sets of batteries, so that's a lot more than $1000."

I'll see how long these new batteries last in my Garmin. They may be approaching the length of time that alkalines last.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
Merciful goodness, Harmon, speak English and I'll make you whatever dessert your heart desires!  :)

Thank you Pqmommy.

Now and then I get stuck in that Sandy Creek Cowboy lingo. Mostly it happens when I'm east of Highway 67.

Shoot, I've been to Kansas City, to Chicago, and to New York City so I'm not as dumb as I try to sound.

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Merciful goodness, Harmon, speak English and I'll make you whatever dessert your heart desires!  :D

Thank you Pqmommy.

Now and then I get stuck in that Sandy Creek Cowboy lingo. Mostly it happens when I'm east of Highway 67.

Shoot, I've been to Kansas City, to Chicago, and to New York City so I'm not as dumb as I try to sound.

Your pal,

Harmon

I KNEW you could do it! Now, what would you like for dessert? :)

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake for real Cowboys

Can Cooky fix it up in the dutch oven on th' far behind the ol' chuck wagon?

Parsa

Shore 'nuff Parsa. Wunst in a w'all ol' Cookie gets th' far t' roarin' an' turns th' peach cobbler in t' cinders.

Ol' Cookie just sets t' yellin' "Eat it an' shut up!" and starts t' clangin' that dad-burned dinner bail.

Danged ol' rubbery cobbler would work f'r tar patches on th' rainch tractor.

Cowboy life is shorely cob-rough now and ag'in.

Merciful goodness, Harmon, speak English and I'll make you whatever dessert your heart desires!  :D

Thank you Pqmommy.

Your pal,

Harmon

I KNEW you could do it! Now, what would you like for dessert? :)

Thank you dear,

Green Jell-O of course. We can share.

Wal-Mart, a store which I seldom visit, has a great deal on the new rechargeable Energizer NiMH batteries. I got the new 2500 mAh batteries (which are a lot better than my former set of 1800 mAh Powerex batteries). The Great Battery Shootout rates these as one of the best batteries.

I bought a pack of 8 for less than $18, plus I bought a set of 4 AAAs for my older backup Palm.

I'll see how long these new batteries last in my Garmin. They may be approaching the length of time that alkalines last.

Ah, well spotted Parsa, I've been looking for some new rechargeables. From the table on that link page, it appears that the 2300mAh rechargeables can deliver 3 times the total energy of alkalines!

Of course, they're still only 1.2V instead of 1.5V. So, the battery scale on whatever device you put them in may not read "full." If you read the whole Shootout page, you'll see that the minutes given are for his special "mad scientist" high-tech power discharger. It tries to simulate a digital camera and so reflects a high current usage. My old Garmin just sips at the batteries and is rated at 24 hours by Garmin. Maybe I should put the Garmin in "simulation" mode and see how long it can stay on for a single charge.

Parsa

Another good deal is from Thomas Distributing, the company mentioned on the Shootout page. I've bought chargers and Powerex batteries from them before. If you also need a charger, I'd recommend the following options over an Energizer charger.

You can buy the C401FS charger (has both 110V and 12V adapters) with either 2300 Powerex or 2500 Engergizers here.

The top rated home charger, the Maha C204W, has the same kind of deals here. The Shootout says this tested as the best charger.

I have two of the older versions of the 401FS, and I can use one in the car to charge a set for the camera. When I drove down 66, I had 12 batteries, three sets of 4. Two sets were always charging while the third was in the camera. They didn't last incredibly long, but there was always a set ready to go. It sure saved a lot of money on batteries.

Parsa

Of course, they're still only 1.2V instead of 1.5V. So, the battery scale on whatever device you put them in may not read "full." If you read the whole Shootout page, you'll see that the minutes given are for his special "mad scientist" high-tech power discharger. It tries to simulate a digital camera and so reflects a high current usage. My old Garmin just sips at the batteries and is rated at 24 hours by Garmin. Maybe I should put the Garmin in "simulation" mode and see how long it can stay on for a single charge.

Parsa

I have been using the Panasonic 2300's for a few months...I love them. I use them in my GPS, flashlight and wireless mouse.

PS My GPS has a battery type setting so it keeps the meter accurate if you are using NiMH.

REI seems to have a sale on the Magellan Explorist series, including the 500 for $319, which is a good price even if you buy it online. Judging by what's been said about REI's generous exchange policy, I'd say it's a good deal. The Explorists seem a bit bulky to my hands, but it's a good machine I think.

Parsa

Nice thing about the new explorist 400 - 600 series is that they come with a rechargeable battery already.

"Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

This Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack can keep your eXplorist continuously powered-up for up to 14 hours. Recharge your battery directly through your receiver again and again without reducing its performance."

SWWEEET! looking forward to the 600 for father's day.

Just a curious little question?????

What is the S.D. Caching community’s opinion on cachers logging there own caches?

example GCNC45

Definitely a no-no in my opinion.

Once I unintentionally did just that while posting a note by not clicking out of the "Type of log" selection window to change focus before using my mouse wheel to scroll down the entire logging page. Result was that I wheeled a Find into the type window.

Fortunately Gecko Dad caught me and let me know politely that I had done the deed. Bless his heart, that log-entry Nazi.

In truth I was grateful for his message. How embarrasing.

What is the S.D. Caching community’s opinion on cachers logging there own caches?

example GCNC45

I expect that was a mistake, TBH. I don't think anyone round here logs their own caches as finds deliberately.

I would not be so sure...

GCJBMC

GCJXV2

PS If you don’t believe they are intentional look at the logs :)

Edited by GoBolt

It used to be common practice in the olden days. I never did it, but some of the first cachers would log their own cache when they went back to find and check on it. As for the people who do it now... I say if they want to do it, let them. It doesn't cause or prevent thermonuclear war, and it's their own conscience they have to answer to.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

It used to be common practice in the olden days. I never did it, but some of the first cachers would log their own cache when they went back to find and check on it. As for the people who do it now... I say if they want to do it, let them. It doesn't cause or prevent thermonuclear war, and it's their own conscience they have to answer to.

Parsa

Good point….I was just bored and this amused me….so I thought I would stir up the forum…it worked! :D

Edited by GoBolt
why would it weigh on anyone's conscience? what the heck do any of the stats really matter anyhow? Is it really that big of a deal to you all? My word, that does surprise me. I thought it was more about the activity. :D

It is, of course. But when people are congratulating you for your achievement of reaching 200 finds, and you know you've really only found 196, some might feel a twinge of embarrassment. Caching "for the numbers" is all well and good, but unless you're already at about 2000+, you're never going to catch up anyway.

Personally, I usually find the getting there much more enjoyable than the rummaging around in the bushes - if you've done it once, you've done it a thousand times. (Exceptions being fun camo jobs, multis, puzzles, virtuals etc).

why would it weigh on anyone's conscience? what the heck do any of the stats really matter anyhow? Is it really that big of a deal to you all? My word, that does surprise me. I thought it was more about the activity. :D

It's not all about the numbers..... just mostly about the numbers. :D

(C'mon, I'm a guy, guys like stats, trust me.)

D!

Logging your own caches is up to you.....always have a problem with event caches that you host. all your partners log it...why not you. you "found" the event place first to find then brought everyone else down....right? :D

Same issue comes up with webcam caches. There are opposing points of view about logging a webcam cache if you are the one that's capturing the photo.

Another purist issue comes up when several people go caching together. Which one in the group actually "finds" the cache container? No kidding, I know people that are upset by this issue.

And what about when caches are pointed out by somebody in a group outing that has already logged the cache. Who actually found it then?

O yeah, same issue comes up about benchmarks only more so. Benchmarking really has to do with finding the whereabouts of an old object to verify that it still exists. Next person comes along with their GPSr using the posted first-find coordinates and claims a find. O please.

Guess that's why they have an asterisk attached to some modern-day baseball records. Keeps things simple to have a level playing field.

Broadening a set of conventions suggests that all points of view must be respected. Unfortunately that means that there's actually no convention. So in this case it can be said that it is and is not proper to log your own caches.

By the way, logging a find for your own caches clearly suggests that one does indeed care about one's find-count. Methinks I smell a contradiction here.

What's wrong with that picture?

Edited by SD Rowdies

example GCNC45

I actually noticed Neil (NCad) logging his own Death cache a few weeks back and had an email exchange about it with him. He doesn't read this thread, and said I could quote him here if it ever came up. Here is what he said:

> Tony,

> Thanks for noticing. It's a semi-inside joke. I

> have a cousin who I introduced to geocaching about a

> year ago and he is very strict in his interpretation

> of what should be allowed and not allowed. He

> monitors my geocaching activities and I have

> discovered that I can drive him crazy by claiming a

> find on caches I've placed. The geocaching system

> doesn't prohibit one from finding one's own caches

> but my cousin (Ace Flapperhacker) thinks it violates

> the very heart and soul of geocaching etiquette.

> Therefore, just to cause him grief, I claim a

> find on my own caches every once in awhile. My

> response to him is that it's a cache, I found it,

> and the system lets me do it, so it must be OK.

> Sooner or later he'll notice this visit to Death and

> send me a wild-eyed note about it being illegal.

> Just one more thing that makes geocaching fun.

Looks like Neil is having some fun with the system, though I have to admit it is a little confusing when he thanks himself in a find log for his own hide. To each his own, I guess. :D

-Tony

I have to admit it is a little confusing when he thanks himself in a find log for his own hide. To each his own, I guess. :D

Top 10 reasons for logging a find on your own cache:

10. You forgot where you hid it

9. The last 10 finders moved it incrementally away from the original spot

(help me out here!) :D

A veteran cacher once told me it was OK to log your cache if you are a non-principal co-hider in order to clear the cache from your filter-out-finds list.

I'm co-hider in one cache, but have yet to claim the find. I don't think I will either; it don't bother me that it shows up on my filter's page and it just don't feel right to log a find on a cache I helped hide.

Well, the cool news is that there's a rare hybrid eclipse today at about 1:55. It goes from annular (ring), to total, and back to annular.

The bad news is that here in San Diego, it's at about 0%... we're right at the edge.

april2005eclipse.jpg

SE2005Apr08H.GIF

Parsa

Edited by Parsa

Anyone other than LostGuy51 riding in the Rosarito to Ensenada Bike Ride on April 30th?

It’s only 50 miles.

I’ve got a cache along the route; does the ride sound more enticing now?

It’s a little hilly in the middle, but they have paddy wagons that sweep the course around 5P to pick up the straglers. :(

I do believe these folks enjoy cycling: Idiosyncratic, PC Woody, Chuck B.; D-Jollymon; Cegrube, & Zatyko.

RES05P.JPG

Edited by Chuy

Well, Panama is the place to be. Watch the tiny black dot at the center of the shadow.

The best eclipse in San Diego for about a hundred years will be May 20, 2012. It's a Sunday, and if you go up to northern California it will be total.

I do believe these folks enjoy cycling: Idiosyncratic, PC Woody, Chuck B.; D-Jollymon; Cegrube, & Zatyko.

Perhaps I'll do the ride in my Robo-Boot 2000. Wouldn't that be a laugh?

After all I was once a principle in San Diego Wheelmen, cofounder of San Diego Bicycle Touring Club, and founder of the Knickerbikers of San Diego County.

I organized and hosted the San Diego year of the National Wheelmen Convention at San Diego State in 1979. The movie "Breaking Away" was premiered in Montezuma Hall at the convention and went on to win the best original screen play and other academy awards.

I was on Jerry Rimoldi's committee that brought the San Diego Velodrome to Balboa Park. I worked closely with Dave Manwaring for several years to organize and support the Tecate-Ensenada and the Mexicali-San Felipe bicycling events.

Jerry Rimoldi has a ranch south of Sandy Creek Ranch along La Posta Road. In his days he coached olympic and Pan American bicycling teams. Jerry, his brother Keith, and I ran cross-country and track together way back in the early fifties.

I have pursued pre-1900 bicycling history and knew the great granddaughter and great grandson of Alexander Augustus Pope of the 1800s bicycling and automotive fame. I have an extensive collection of pre-1900 bicycling publications and even an 1886 Columbia Expert high wheeler. I have discovered and introduced historical publications into the Charles Pratt historical collection at the Smithsonian.

O yeah, I can ride and rope too. Wanna race?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Anyone other than LostGuy51 riding in the Rosarito to Ensenada Bike Ride on April 30th?

It’s only 50 miles.

I’ve got a cache along the route; does the ride sound more enticing now?

It’s a little hilly in the middle, but they have paddy wagons that sweep the course around 5P to pick up the straglers. :)

RES05P.JPG

I did the Tecate to Ensenada bike ride many years ago, but don't think my 15-year-old Trek mountain bike, powered by my present-day legs, could go 50 miles . . . . :(

After all I was once a principle in San Diego Wheelmen, cofounder of San Diego Bicycle Touring Club, and founder of the Knickerbikers of San Diego County.

I organized and hosted the San Diego year of the National Wheelmen Convention at San Diego State in 1979. The movie "Breaking Away" was premiered in Montezuma Hall at the convention and went on to win the best-picture academy award.

I was on Jerry Rimoldi's committee that brought the San Diego Velodrome to Balboa Park. I worked closely with Dave Manwaring for several years to organize and support the Tecate-Ensenada and the Mexicali-San Felipe bicycling events.

Jerry Rimoldi has a ranch south of Sandy Creek Ranch along La Posta Road. In his days he coached olympic and Pan American bicycling teams. Jerry, his brother Keith, and I ran cross-country and track together way back in the early fifties.

I have pursued pre-1900 bicycling history and knew the great granddaughter and great grandson of Alexander Augustus Pope of the 1800s bicycling and automotive fame. I have an extensive collection of pre-1900 bicycling publications and even an 1886 Columbia Expert high wheeler. I have discovered and introduced historical publications into the Charles Pratt historical collection at the Smithsonian.

O yeah, I can ride and rope too. Wanna race?

Look folks, I got him to speak English without promise of food :( .

Harmon, the owner of Outback Adventures (he provides roundtrip transportation for the bike ride) was interested in reviving the Tecate to Ensenada ride. If you are interested in contacting him, send me an email. We almost did the ride last year, but he ran into too much red tape.

You got any old bikes 'round the old barn?

Yes, I wanna race, downhill! so I don't have to pedal! :)

I did the Tecate to Ensenada bike ride many years ago, but don't think my 15-year-old Trek mountain bike, powered by my present-day legs, could go 50 miles . . . . :(

The Tecate ride is over 70 miles; I'm impressed!

Most riders ride on Mtn bikes 'cause of the granny gears. Throw on some slicks and you be ready.

I've seen riders >60, male and female. There's this paralyzed rider that pedals with his hand/arms; quite amazing.

However, can't say enough for conditioning yourself on the local roads; some of them hills are kinda steep.