The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

After all I was once a principle in San Diego Wheelmen, cofounder of San Diego Bicycle Touring Club, and founder of the Knickerbikers of San Diego County.

I organized and hosted the San Diego year of the National Wheelmen Convention at San Diego State in 1979. The movie "Breaking Away" was premiered in Montezuma Hall at the convention and went on to win the best-picture academy award.

I was on Jerry Rimoldi's committee that brought the San Diego Velodrome to Balboa Park. I worked closely with Dave Manwaring for several years to organize and support the Tecate-Ensenada and the Mexicali-San Felipe bicycling events.

Jerry Rimoldi has a ranch south of Sandy Creek Ranch along La Posta Road. In his days he coached olympic and Pan American bicycling teams. Jerry, his brother Keith, and I ran cross-country and track together way back in the early fifties.

I have pursued pre-1900 bicycling history and knew the great granddaughter and great grandson of Alexander Augustus Pope of the 1800s bicycling and automotive fame. I have an extensive collection of pre-1900 bicycling publications and even an 1886 Columbia Expert high wheeler. I have discovered and introduced historical publications into the Charles Pratt historical collection at the Smithsonian.

O yeah, I can ride and rope too. Wanna race?

Look folks, I got him to speak English without promise of food :( .

:):( Now THAT is impressive.

Actually I have had entire conversations with him via e-mail with not a yer or y'all in sight. You just have to get him started on a TT puzzle.

Don't worry Harmon, you'll still get your pineapple upside down cake!

I organized and hosted the San Diego year of the National Wheelmen Convention at San Diego State in 1979. The movie "Breaking Away" was premiered in Montezuma Hall at the convention and went on to win the best-picture academy award.

cutters_cast.jpg

Actually Breaking Away won only the oscar for Best Original Screenplay, though it was nominated for Best Picture in addition to several other Academy Awards. It's a great movie and much better than "Kramer vs. Kramer" which won BP that year.

Hey Chuy, how hard is it to access that cache of yours down there via car? There are about 7 or 8 caches between the border an Ensenada and I'm considering doing the "El Sur de la Frontera" cache run soon.

--TT--

Actually Breaking Away won only the oscar for Best Original Screenplay, though it was nominated for Best Picture in addition to several other Academy Awards. It's a great movie and much better than "Kramer vs. Kramer" which won BP that year.

Thanks for the reminder, that was a long time ago. It sure was a struggle carrying the heavy professional projector up into the booth in Montezuma Hall. We had to change reels because we rented only one projector.

Harmon, the owner of Outback Adventures (he provides roundtrip transportation for the bike ride) was interested in reviving the Tecate to Ensenada ride.  If you are interested in contacting him, send me an email.  We almost did the ride last year, but he ran into too much red tape.

You got any old bikes 'round the old barn?

Yes, I wanna race, downhill! so I don't have to pedal!  :(

Chuy,

You've got me dead to rights. Downhill is where I've been heading since I turned seventy. Fact is we ran an annual downhill coasting competition in the olden days.

My 1886 Columbia Expert high wheeler graces my living room. It's a beauty with nothing missing and nothing broken. Riding it is like riding a Cadillac due to the fifty-two inch wheel diameter. Of course there's no gearing so one can truly say that it has a 52-inch gear.

Supporting that Tecate-Ensenada ride got to be unreasonable. Same way with the Mexicali-San Felipe event. Once the beach-cruisers started showing up the events got out of control to the point that we couldn't get around the early starters to set up aid stations. We picked up stragglers way into the evening hours, stragglers that walked along in the dark cryng like babies. Way too risky in the end. Also dealing with the Mexican authorities was way too much trouble.

No good deed goes unpunished.

That experience lead us to the annual Tecate to Cabo San Lucas tour each year between Christmas and New Year. Sixteen days for about 1,200 miles. Ninety-eight mile average days starting in the dark and ending in the dark each day. This event was a self-supported bicycle tour with no motor vehicles allowed. Short days and winter rains made things interesting. We always had a large turnout for this event from all over the world. Riders were experienced and came because of the physical challenge.

We also ran an annual Trans-California event where riders rode from Mission Bay to Yuma in one shot.

Ah-yes, the good ol' days.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Look folks, I got him to speak English without promise of food  :( .

:)  :(  Now THAT is impressive.

Actually I have had entire conversations with him via e-mail with not a yer or y'all in sight.  You just have to get him started on a TT puzzle.

Don't worry Harmon, you'll still get your pineapple upside down cake!

Pqmommy,

Yes dear, anything you want dear. That's a lovely new hairdo you have and, by the way, you've been losing some weight haven't you? You are looking so trim and fit. I love your nails.

Smart. Did I mention how smart you are?

Dang! now everybody knows about the pineapple upside down cake. Hope I get to taste a few crumbs.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Breaking Away is a great movie; I think I have a fresh VHS copy I picked up at Walmart for $5.

Yes TT, My cache is easily accessible by car (motorcycle for D-Jollymon - sweet ride!), horse, donkey, etc... except during the ride event 'cause vehicle traffic is shut down till about 4P. My cache is down the Libre (non-toll) road; the other caches are off the toll road. You can hit the toll roads and return down the libre road at Ensenada, or vice versa; it's a nice scenic loop.

Let me know when you go down, I am willing to accompany you (wouldn't want you to get an FTF down there without me :( ).

Shoot, post it here, I'm sure others will be interested in going down. We can have lunch/dinner in Ensenada. And cervezas, 1st round's on me. Oops, I may regret that last comment.

Pqmommy,

Yes dear, anything you want dear. That's a lovely new hairdo you have and, by the way, you've been losing some weight haven't you? You are looking so trim and fit. I love your nails.

Dang! now everybody knows about the pineapple upside down cake. Hope I get to taste a few crumbs.

Harmon

Chile, dat cake done got yo name onit, don't you beez worrin abou' dat.

(I know it's not cowboy, it's just the best hard-to-read vernacular I know.)

Breaking Away is a great movie; I think I have a fresh VHS copy I picked up at Walmart for $5.

Yes TT, My cache is easily accessible by car (motorcycle for D-Jollymon - sweet ride!), horse, donkey, etc... except during the ride event 'cause vehicle traffic is shut down till about 4P. My cache is down the Libre (non-toll) road; the other caches are off the toll road. You can hit the toll roads and return down the libre road at Ensenada, or vice versa; it's a nice scenic loop.

Let me know when you go down, I am willing to accompany you (wouldn't want you to get an FTF down there without me :( ).

Shoot, post it here, I'm sure others will be interested in going down. We can have lunch/dinner in Ensenada. And cervezas, 1st round's on me. Oops, I may regret that last comment.

Sweet put Tigger's Mango and me down for a few beers :D

Pqmommy,

Harmon

Chile, dat cake done got yo name onit, don't you beez worrin abou' dat.

(I know it's not cowboy, it's just the best hard-to-read vernacular I know.)

Lawdy chile', I be pleased.

Anyone other than LostGuy51 riding in the Rosarito to Ensenada Bike Ride on April 30th?

It’s only 50 miles.

I’ve got a cache along the route; does the ride sound more enticing now?

It’s a little hilly in the middle, but they have paddy wagons that sweep the course around 5P to pick up the straglers.  :D

I do believe these folks enjoy cycling: Idiosyncratic, PC Woody, Chuck B.; D-Jollymon; Cegrube, & Zatyko.

RES05P.JPG

Chuy-

What is that ride like? would you recommend road bike or mtn. bike? I've been thinking about doing it for years; just a little gun-shy about it. I've been mountain biking to the SDCC caches and road riding to most of my others, and I should be up for 50 miles by then, although I'm purty slow and would not want to hold anyone up. Guess I'd have to get that RAM GPS mount on my road bike though!

Guess I'll have to check out those Lyons valley caches - now those are some hills. :(

Harmon, the owner of Outback Adventures (he provides roundtrip transportation for the bike ride) was interested in reviving the Tecate to Ensenada ride.  If you are interested in contacting him, send me an email.  We almost did the ride last year, but he ran into too much red tape.

You got any old bikes 'round the old barn?

Yes, I wanna race, downhill! so I don't have to pedal!  :(

Chuy,

You've got me dead to rights. Downhill is where I've been heading since I turned seventy. Fact is we ran an annual downhill coasting competition in the olden days.

My 1886 Columbia Expert high wheeler graces my living room. It's a beauty with nothing missing and nothing broken. Riding it is like riding a Cadillac due to the fifty-two inch wheel diameter. Of course there's no gearing so one can truly say that it has a 52-inch gear.

Supporting that Tecate-Ensenada ride got to be unreasonable. Same way with the Mexicali-San Felipe event. Once the beach-cruisers started showing up the events got out of control to the point that we couldn't get around the early starters to set up aid stations. We picked up stragglers way into the evening hours, stragglers that walked along in the dark cryng like babies. Way too risky in the end. Also dealing with the Mexican authorities was way too much trouble.

No good deed goes unpunished.

That experience lead us to the annual Tecate to Cabo San Lucas tour each year between Christmas and New Year. Sixteen days for about 1,200 miles. Ninety-eight mile average days starting in the dark and ending in the dark each day. This event was a self-supported bicycle tour with no motor vehicles allowed. Short days and winter rains made things interesting. We always had a large turnout for this event from all over the world. Riders were experienced and came because of the physical challenge.

We also ran an annual Trans-California event where riders rode from Mission Bay to Yuma in one shot.

Ah-yes, the good ol' days.

Harmon

This talk of the old Tecate- Ensenada ride sure brings back memories. I rode it in the first few years untill the number of riders was over 10000. It just wasn't fun with the road so crowded. The El Gringo Cantina at the top of the seven mile hill was a great rest stop. For any of the old riders here I rode with the Diving Locker group.

This talk of the old Tecate- Ensenada ride sure brings back memories. I rode it in the first few years untill the number of riders was over 10000. It just wasn't fun with the road so crowded. The El Gringo Cantina at the top of the seven mile hill was a great rest stop. For any of the old riders here I rode with the Diving Locker group.

Some of those rest stops were wildly imaginative but also a lot of hard work. Once our rest stop near the orphanage was overun by the orphans. They hit us in a coordinated wave and got away with most of our supply of oranges, in crates mind you.

No doubt our gang served you at a rest stop. We handled the one just before that last long climb up to the pass where one could first see the ocean. We called it Eureka Pass.

At that point along the route the tail-end riders were wasted and really needed help. Many of them just hung around our big flatbed trucks expecting a lift into Ensenada. We hauled loads of them into Ensenada and then retraced the entire route to pick up dozens and dozens of stragglers.

Made me think of the aftermath of Sherman's march into Atlanta.

Hmmm, very clever....  But the Nighthawk is a Honda, not a Yamaha!  Used to ride those puppies too in my youth!

Hey, you're messing with a trained professional here Iodine.

The Eric Hopper painting is entitled Nighthawks.

Because I mirrored the Yamaha into the painting it's now called an "Ahamay."

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hmmm, very clever....  But the Nighthawk is a Honda, not a Yamaha!  Used to ride those puppies too in my youth!

The Eric Hopper painting is entitled Nighthawk.

I didn't know my "Ahamay" was such a classic. :o I've got to get one of those paintings for the garage!!!

Some of those rest stops were wildly imaginative but also a lot of hard work. Once our rest stop near the orphanage was overun by the orphans. They hit us in a coordinated wave and got away with most of our supply of oranges, in crates mind you. . .

Boy, I'm sure glad that didn't happen the year I did the ride. :o

I have vivid memories of that awesome orange handed to me at the top of that long, long hill.

Peeling an orange with my teeth was something I had never done before, but that is what all of us did as we rode down the hill. It was funny to see all those little pieces of orange peel on the road for the next mile . . . ;)

The Eric Hopper painting is entitled Nighthawk.

Yeah, I know the Hopper painting - which is why I called you clever! As if those cowboy caches didn't give that away! Just messing with you... you guys sure crack me up. :o

I didn't know my "Ahamay" was such a classic. :o  I've got to get one of those paintings for the garage!!!

d8c1a851-f8e6-4c7d-9693-a4cf10aedd5f.jpg

The usual version of the Hopper painting is a ripoff turned into a clock with James Dean and Marylin Monroe at the counter. You can find the clock at fifties-diner gift shops.

If you really want this print for your garage then I can send you an unreduced jpeg file of this version that's good for large prints and has your Yamaha rather than the Ahamay. It's twice the size of the image posted here. Also feel free to save this posted photo.

For the large version you'll need to send me a personal email address via Geocaching.com. In that case I'll spend more time with the editing job to clean up some sloppy areas so that it looks good in large format..

In the edited photo I have imagined that the Yamaha belongs to the soda-jerk behind the counter.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Boy, I'm sure glad that didn't happen the year I did the ride. :o

I have vivid memories of that awesome orange handed to me at the top of that long, long hill.

Peeling an orange with my teeth was something I had never done before, but that is what all of us did as we rode down the hill. It was funny to see all those little pieces of orange peel on the road for the next mile . . . ;)

Hey, I remember you, the gal with the orange teeth. We always wondered why you had orange teeth.

Yeah, I know the Hopper painting - which is why I called you clever! As if those cowboy caches didn't give that away! Just messing with you... you guys sure crack me up. :o

Iodine,

You're on our cowboy favorite-finders list. Us ol' cowboys have been keeping up with your logs and posts. In fact we are proud of you for the way you have persisted at cowboy eleven without begging and whining.

See y' Thursday.

Harmon of Sandy Creek Cowboys

What is that ride like? would you recommend road bike or mtn. bike? I've been thinking about doing it for years; just a little gun-shy about it.  I've been mountain biking to the SDCC caches and road riding to most of my others, and I should be up for 50 miles by then, although I'm purty slow and would not want to hold anyone up. Guess I'd have to get that RAM GPS mount on my road bike though!

Guess I'll have to check out those Lyons valley caches - now those are some hills. :o

I would guestimate 60% take Mtn bikes, 30 % road/hybrid, and the remaining 10% includes: single-speed beach cruisers; tandems; lowriders, recumbents, those funky tri-wheel bikes you sway your body, and rollerblades.

For beginners, I would recommend a hardtail Mtn bike with tire slicks, which will greatly reduce rolling resistance. I ride a Bianchi hybrid with 700X28 tires. The roads are well maintained; you'll find way more pot holes in downtown San Diego.

To give you an idea about my conditioning: I try to ride home (Lakeside) from work (downtown San Diego) at least once a week. It's a 24 mile ride via Mission Gorge. My average pace is 13 MPH.

The stats from my last R-E bike ride: 50.1 miles, 16.4 MPH avg. The disparity in avg MPH is due to the stop and go traffic in the city.

It is pretty crowded in the first 10 miles. This year, for the first time, they are allowing a pre-start for the "elite" riders; I think it's a $10 surcharge. It should reduce the crowding a bit.

Keep in touch if you decide to go; I don't mind riding with you. You never know, you might be a stronger rider than me: my neighbor is a Mtn biker and he blew me away going up Misson Gorge, of course, he races in the amateur circuit, but he humbled me pretty good. I'm taking some caches to hide, so if I have to wait for anyone, I'll just go hide a cache ;) .

Hey Slide Rule,

Is there going to be a challenge puzzle? CVC's been waiting. Perhaps it's just been grossly overlooked?!

I have four challenge puzzles in the works at this time. All have been delayed by the tax season.

For those interested. One discussion thread is located at:

Equlateral NE/SW

There have been proposed solutions sent to me over the past few days. One of about a dozen is absolutely correct.

FYI: I will disclose the solution on that thread, in a few days.

Edited by SlideRule

Having recently cracked the Kilo mark myself, I want to pre-congratulate Flagman on reaching a Kilo and a half --- since you're at 1499, I'm sure it'll be in no time at all!

--Dave, The Cow Spots

P.S. Had to share this pic --- CowSpot Jr got to commune with his brethren this weekend.

38aab3d4-e847-4a80-ac9b-4a73560e480a.jpg

Edited by The Cow Spots
Had to share this pic --- CowSpot Jr got to commune with his brethren this weekend.

Wow, that's a terrific photo.

It's way too cool to be altered by the likes of me even though it tempts this ol' cowboy t' add th' proper headwear and a red tag on th' boy's earlobe.

Makes me think of an old cowboy joke.

If y' see three guys wearin' cowboy hats that are riding in an old pickup truck, which one is the real cowboy?

O yeah, congratulations Flagman you dang' ol' Geocacher you.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
Having recently cracked the Kilo mark myself, I want to pre-congratulate Flagman on reaching a Kilo and a half --- since you're at 1499, I'm sure it'll be in no time at all!

--Dave, The Cow Spots

Right back atcha, Dave! And to Duscwe!, too! Duncan and I sort of had a pact to log our 1500th together, so we've been posting "notes" until we can log one together -- won't say which one -- might spoil the suspense! For those purists, Duncan beat me to 1500 on Saturday. But as RUSCAL once said during a slip from his 12-step program for cacheholics, "If I don't log it, does it really count as a find?".... :laughing:

Edited by FlagMan

Right back atcha, Dave!  And to Duscwe!, too!  Duncan and I sort of had a pact to log our 1500th together, so we've been posting "notes" until we can log one together -- won't say which one --  might spoil the suspense!  For those purists, Duncan beat me to 1500 on Saturday.  But as RUSCAL once said during a slip from his 12-step program for cacheholics, "If I don't log it, does it really count as a find?"....  :(

Flagman, I happened to see your log at a recent cache where you reveal which cache you're going to log together. :lol:

I'll keep your secret for a hint on a future puzzle cache

:laughing:

Right back atcha, Dave!  And to Duscwe!, too!  Duncan and I sort of had a pact to log our 1500th together, so we've been posting "notes" until we can log one together -- won't say which one --  might spoil the suspense!  For those purists, Duncan beat me to 1500 on Saturday.  But as RUSCAL once said during a slip from his 12-step program for cacheholics, "If I don't log it, does it really count as a find?"....  :lol:

Flagman, I happened to see your log at a recent cache where you reveal which cache you're going to log together. :(

I'll keep your secret for a hint on a future puzzle cache

:laughing:

Great spotting, Chuy. Do you know which cache was Duscwe!'s actual 1500th? That could be another piece of the puzzle.... :lol:

Tigger's Mango and I are going to be honeymooning in Orlando, Disney World, Port Canaveral, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay. We depart San Diego on the second of May. If you have any bugs or Geo-Coins or a Moun10Bike-Coin :D that you would like to visit/travel too one of the above locations or sail aboard the Disney Magic...let us know.

Tigger's Mango and I are going to be honeymooning in Orlando, Disney World, Port Canaveral, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay. We depart San Diego on the second of May. If you have any bugs or Geo-Coins or a Moun10Bike-Coin :D that you would like to visit/travel too one of the above locations or sail aboard the Disney Magic...let us know.

Cool, finally I have a reason to attach a bug-tag to myself.

What time do we leave?

Harmon

Tigger's Mango and I are going to be honeymooning in Orlando, Disney World, Port Canaveral, Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Castaway Cay........

This must mean congratulations are in order (and if me reading of other logs is correct, the big day is this weekend?) - CONGRATULATIONS!

:D:D:)B):DB):DB):D

Edited by Dr. Boggis