The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Many thanks to Rocket Man, Trailgators, Devhead, and SD Rowdies for wiring the Riley School Auditorium/Cafeteria/Teacher Lounge for ethernet. Our teachers and students will benefit greatly from this project.

Just a few notes and comments on the event:

Devhead-Stapler's Apprentice Award for stapling a hole in the wire :lol:

Harmon working hard directing the installation

harmon.jpg

RocketMan and Trailgators the stapling duo.

rocketman.jpg

Looking forward to the Paperless Caching Event. Stop on by :P

Many thanks to Rocket Man, Trailgators, Devhead, and SD Rowdies for wiring the Riley School Auditorium/Cafeteria/Teacher Lounge for ethernet. Our teachers and students will benefit greatly from this project.

Just a few notes and comments on the event:

Devhead-Stapler's Apprentice Award for stapling a hole in the wire :P

Looking forward to the Paperless Caching Event. Stop on by B)

Ok, so I did an unschedule cable shield test. But, what they aren't telling you is that I was up on the same 25 foot later that Harmon had fallen from and broken his ankle. I am used to T47 staplers and this was a T25, on top of that I was using my left hand, while reaching away from me AND the lions were circling the auditorium, not to mention the impending hurricane and .... :lol:

But, what they aren't telling you is that I was up on the same 25 foot later that Harmon had fallen from and broken his ankle.

I just want to clear up one thing once and for all. It was a twenty-five foot EXTENSION ladder and I fell from forty-eight feet.

I felt my pain.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
So you're the one that caused the stapler mishap!  :P The truth comes out! :lol:

11f28e5c-439e-46b7-90bd-00fcad0ee565.jpg

Rats! I didn't think he would notice that I swapped staples on him. You can't be too careful with amateur stapler guys, load the high-powered rounds and they get all nervous.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Perhaps you pushed the apprentice too fast....

first learn how to use the stapler

then learn how to use the ladder

then combine both of them (stapler empty)

when more comfortable...add the staples!

855add93-1d66-40ef-99d4-6c9ea9d44ab0.jpg

Good point, I'll take that into account next chance I get. On the other hand who th' heck would want to learn about ladders from me?

And another thing, everybody quite posting those tiny little photos on your profile gallery. I mean give me something to work with for goodness sakes.

Uh-oh, time t' go. It's time for my recasting call. Maybe red this time.

Harmon

0232fd46-db15-4665-a3b8-adc74f62a8c3.jpg

Y’all check this out.

Today they gave me a Robo-Boot 2000 instead of another fiberglass cast.

This baby has all the paperless caching features and more. Just load it up with a Geocaching database and it automatically walks you straight to the Geocache of your choice. Eat your heart out.

They assured me that a major design glitch has been resolved in this model. Apparently the Model 1000 would unexpectedly boot up and run off after ice cream trucks. Go figure.

Harmon

It's already been done. Techno Trousers!

Dang! I totally forgot about Wallace's Techno Trousers.

I'll check out my Robo-Boot 2000 and see if it can walk up tall buildings and upside down along air-conditioning ducts. I suppose so as long as there's a cache to find.

Now I've got to locate a red rubber glove.

Perhaps you pushed the apprentice too fast....

first learn how to use the stapler

then learn how to use the ladder

then combine both of them (stapler empty)

when more comfortable...add the staples!

855add93-1d66-40ef-99d4-6c9ea9d44ab0.jpg

Good point, I'll take that into account next chance I get. On the other hand who th' heck would want to learn about ladders from me?

And another thing, everybody quite posting those tiny little photos on your profile gallery. I mean give me something to work with for goodness sakes.

Uh-oh, time t' go. It's time for my recasting call. Maybe red this time.

Harmon

Harmon - You might just find a larger picture in my log from the 2004 picnic. RM

It's enabled!

Parsa

How many ancient Britains were there Parsa? I can think of only one! B)

If you mean the people who live there, you'll find King Arthur would tell you he is "Arthur, King of the Britons"....

(and don't even start with the coconut thing, guys)

Edited by Dr. Boggis

It's enabled!

Parsa

How many ancient Britains were there Parsa? I can think of only one! <_<

If you mean the people who live there, you'll find King Arthur would tell you he is "Arthur, King of the Britons"....

Is this cache going to be under a shrubbery?! B) Sorry couldn't help myself! B)

Edited by TrailGators

It's enabled!

Parsa

How many ancient Britains were there Parsa? I can think of only one! :o

Sorry about that (as Hagrid would say). I was tired after all the work I did, and my spelling usually goes first, next to go are my tipng skylls. :D

Parsa

Harmon - You might just find a larger picture in my log from the 2004 picnic.

541a26f3-e1ed-464e-b706-50f7ce5346ba.jpg

Thanks RocketMan, contributions are greatly appreciated. Now I'm all set if and when anybody catches Devhead with a tool in his hand ever again. Well, you know, the hardware-store kind of tool.

How d' y' like that cool T25 stapler?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Keep your eyes on the approval status of my new one (no puzzle involved), submitted 9.40am today:

Valley's End

1:25 PM still waiting......

Oh yeah. I'll have another batch of puzzles to be released shortly in the next week or so.

(4/1.5) Somewhere in San Diego (GCN9N0)

(4/2.5) Quit Poking Me! (GCM3BC)

(4.5/2) Searching for Bobby Fischer (GCMJWN)

(5/4) Unnamed Cow Spots and TT Puzzle Cache, though we like so far the title:

"Mommy! Mommy! Make the bad puzzle cachers stop!!!!"

016f12ca-3fb8-468d-8ba4-5b301f0839a9.jpg

:(

541a26f3-e1ed-464e-b706-50f7ce5346ba.jpg

How d' y' like that cool T25 stapler?

Hey Harmon,

Can you edit him to put a red Swingline stapler in his hands. Then I think I can almost hear him say,

"...and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire... "

Oh yeah.  I'll have another batch of puzzles  to be released shortly in the next week or so.

(4/2.5)  Quit Poking Me! (GCM3BC)

(4.5/2)  Searching for Bobby Fischer (GCMJWN)

(5/4)  Unnamed Cow Spots and TT Puzzle Cache, though we like so far the title:

Geez Louise... as if I don't have enough of those TT caches to find... I've solved several, but have yet to go get them. I guess I'll have to do a TT-only cache-a-thon one of these weekends.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
Hey Harmon,

Can you edit him to put a red Swingline stapler in his hands.  Then I think I can almost hear him say,

"...and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire... "

cb6a3e5b-de64-47a6-8b12-122e541d2371.jpg

No problem TT.

Next thing y' know Devhead will want Coke-bottle glasses, his own Office Space, and a paper-umbrella drink in his hand.

Just our luck he'll wind up rich and sitting in a lounge chair at the beach.

Remind me, was the red Swingline guy a programmer at UCSD?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Oh yeah.  I'll have another batch of puzzles  to be released shortly in the next week or so.

(4/2.5)  Quit Poking Me! (GCM3BC)

(4.5/2)  Searching for Bobby Fischer (GCMJWN)

(5/4)  Unnamed Cow Spots and TT Puzzle Cache, though we like so far the title:

:ph34r:

Guess I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.......... :laughing:

I've been playing with the maps and satellite photos today (although I have to switch from my Opera browser to Firefox to see them).

You should just switch to Firefox full time! Stumbled across a Firefox plugin to put geocaching.com searches in your toolbar search box today, very useful and quick way to get to a cache page, or search by zip code, and many more things.

The Google maps could do with a dot or X to mark the location!

I bought Opera because I was so impressed with it, and I've been using it for more than 2 1/2 years. :laughing: It is a fantastic program, and more sophisticated than Firefox. I love the "built-in" Notes and can't live without my Mouse Gestures.

However, I will be using Firefox more frequently for the cool features it offers that are related to Geocaching.

Last time I tried Opera, it crashed. Now I know that's not how it's supposed to work, but I couldn't be arsed to fiddle! FF is what all the hip kids are using nowadays, so it's the one new stuff is going to be developed for, which is partly why I switched (from Safari).

Anyway, what's taking everyone so long with Valley's End?? It's been available for over 2 hours now, with no logs!

Last time I tried Opera, it crashed. Now I know that's not how it's supposed to work, but I couldn't be arsed to fiddle! FF is what all the hip kids are using nowadays, so it's the one new stuff is going to be developed for, which is partly why I switched (from Safari).

Anyway, what's taking everyone so long with Valley's End?? It's been available for over 2 hours now, with no logs!

Opera vs. Firefox. Thats like Garmin vs. Magellan.

There ain't no converting a person who uses one to use the other. :ph34r:

At least we both agree (probably) that either one is much better than Internet Exploder (which I can proudly say I've never used).

Sticking to the GPSr analogy, IE must be the equivalent of Cobra . . . :laughing:

I would have tried for Valley's End, but from my end of the county, I would still be on the road, even if I started out as soon as I saw it had been approved. At the price of gas now . . . I can only cache when I have to run other errands. :lol:

EDIT for grammar . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic

I would have tried for Valley's End, but from my end of the county, I would still be on the road, even if I started out as soon as I saw it had been approved. At the price of gas now . . . I can only cache when I have to run other errands. :laughing:

Talking of gas prices, are there any good public-transport-friendly cache series' in SD? Would be good to get folks out of their Stupid Ugly Vehicles every now and then :ph34r:

Keep your eyes on the approval status of my new one (no puzzle involved), submitted 9.40am today:

Valley's End

1:25 PM still waiting......

Oh yeah. I'll have another batch of puzzles to be released shortly in the next week or so.

(4/2.5) Quit Poking Me! (GCM3BC)

(4.5/2) Searching for Bobby Fischer (GCMJWN)

(5/4) Unnamed Cow Spots and TT Puzzle Cache, though we like so far the title:

:laughing:

Santa Maria! Time to go to Home Depot and get another stack of 2X4's! How many in a gross?

D!

1d4be251-65cb-4bf9-87ff-5331a6e62ca7.jpg

Congratulations are in order.

On the way home from the ranch today I stopped by to return $kimmer's new laptop, Palm Zire 31, and Garmin 60CS. With an hour of instruction I left her loading up paperless caches for this week's outing with Splashette. So far only one phone call for support that she didn't need in the end.

She is thrilled with her new hardware and happy beyond words about being able to achieve PDA and GPS database loads for their outing.

$kimmer, you've come a long way for a grandmother. Now get out there and nail y'r two-thousandth.

You go girl,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I was checking out the Apple site to see if the new OS X "Tiger" had come out. It's supposed to be released soon. They have a fantastic preview with full screen animated demos and movies. OS X is already great, but Apple seems to outdo itself each time. If you never experienced a Mac true-GUI operating system take a look at the stuff this new OS does. Make sure and run the full screen demos for each feature.

Take the Tiger Tour

Parsa

Congratulations are in order.

On the way home from the ranch today I stopped by to return $kimmer's new laptop, Palm Zire 31, and Garmin 60CS. With an hour of instruction I left her loading up paperless caches for this week's outing with Splashette. So far only one phone call for support that she didn't need in the end.

She is thrilled with her new hardware and happy beyond words about being able to achieve PDA and GPS database loads for their outing.

$kimmer, you've come a long way for a grandmother. Now get out there and score 'em.

Harmon

OOohhh. Does this mean the rest of us can expect personal lessons & equipment set-up, too? :laughing::ph34r:

OOohhh. Does this mean the rest of us can expect personal lessons & equipment set-up, too? :laughing:  :ph34r:

a974f92e-17ec-439f-95a9-edd4ce5a7bb5.jpg

You bet it does, at the paperless caching event on April 14th. Be there.

What you have to consider is that $kimmer is a very able cowgirl. She not only raised and trained horses but also was a PRCA rodeo judge. She judged during my bronc-riding days and happened to be one of the judges that scored my very be$t ride.

Frankly I owe that ol' gal, big time.

Yeehaw!

Harmon of The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

:blink: Okay guys, I need help with this "Geocoin" I picked up out of "No Hinty on McGinty" this morning.

I've tried to figure out how to log it, but the number is not in the database. :sad:

It is a California Geocoin with the geocaching.com web site address. The date on the coin is 2004.

What am I missing here . . . ? :blink:

:blink: Okay guys, I need help with this "Geocoin" I picked up out of "No Hinty on McGinty" this morning.

I've tried to figure out how to log it, but the number is not in the database. :sad:

It is a California Geocoin with the geocaching.com web site address. The date on the coin is 2004.

What am I missing here . . . ? :blink:

Did it actually show up as a travel bug on the web page, and when you are entering a log for caches you've found does it show up on the bottom of your log with a number next to it?

If not, it's not a travel bug, and you can keep it or trade it.

Parsa

It didn't show up when I put the "No Hinty on McGinty" waypoint into the search for Travel Bugs. Two other TBs did show up, but not this coin. The number on the coin only has four digits, unlike TBs with their six digit number.

California geocoins are being tracked on a different site....which...I can't remember. Somebody...help. Nevermind, I found it, go here...

Ca geocoin site

D!

Hello SD Cachers,

This is just a quick note to update you on the Paperless Caching Event in case you are not watching the cache.

The event planning is going well. We have had a great response from folks volunteering to help out with the one-on-one training. In addition, we have had some generous donations to give out as door prizes. Check out the cache page at the link above to see a partial list.

Lastly, we are going to have a drink and snack table, so feel free to bring your favorite snack/desert to share (It looks like Harmon is hoping that someone brings pineapple upside-down cake).

Thanks,

Rocket Man