How far out of your way have you gone?

A few weeks ago, I left my office to go about 7 miles west and found myself driving almost 16 miles east to get there, just to get an FTF on the way (I didn't realize Hammack was in England at the time).

So, I was wondering, how far out of your way are you willing to go to find a cache?

"I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"

I once traveled to an alternate dimension.... wait.... that was a different sort of trip.

TBH - I once drove 40+ miles in the opposite direction (after traveling 120 to get there) just so I could pick up 2 caches.

--------------------------------------------------

If you drop your keys into molten lava just let 'em go 'cause, man, they're gone.

Like Renegade Knight;

My caching "turf" is about 700 miles North South and 600 miles West - East.

How often I get around there depends on work but Red and I have traveled 350 miles one way just to cache.

And we hope to expand our hunting area more.

As for going out of our way, 100 miles would about cover it; sometimes; maybe; once and a while ?

logscaler

welllllllll do you mean from your home?? Cuase I would never plan a whole weekend 700 mile trip/vacation around caching --wink -wink - nudge -nudge

Do you get funny looks from co-workers -when you say your going into the woods with a 200$ gadet to find kids toys?

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

I rarely travel more than 20 miles from my home to look for a cache. We have plenty here, so there is no need to.

I will look for caches while traveling, but I won't go too far to do so. If it's more than 5-10 miles out of my way, I won't bother.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

I tried to be FTF yesterday morning. I drug my daughter out of bed at 7 AM. drove 110 miles round trip, only to be second. We got home around noon, hopped in Hubby's truck and drove another 150 miles in another direction, not to be FTF this time, just first this year.

It was a fun day!

OG

Prophetically Challenged

I made a 600 mile round trip to pick up Titan 34D. It was really only an extra hundred out of my way. The first 500 miles was to attend The Texas Challenge event cache. Well worth the trip on both counts.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

This isn't meant as a threadjack but...I have a theory that as you go through the first stages of the caching addiction you snap up all the cool caches close to home, then (stage 2) you begin to expand out to new areas that are further and further away, then (stage 3) you reach some sort of caching critical mass where you either completely lose your mind and turn into a anyplace anytime cacher or you put the gps unit away because the next cache is "too far".

Ohhh and to stay on topic at least a little :unsure: I would safely say a 75 mile radius around Casa De Q2XL.

Edited by Q2XL
...I have a theory that as you go through the first stages of the caching addiction you snap up all the cool caches close to home, then (stage 2) you begin to expand out to new areas that are further and further away, then (stage 3) you reach some sort of caching critical mass where you either completely lose your mind and turn into a anyplace anytime cacher...

That's it! I'm in "stage 3" :bad: I have 4 caches available in a radius or 44 miles from home but they don't "click" on me. So, i have to travel more than 300 miles to search for a nice cache... :blink:

I live in Erie, PA which is just about 100 miles from Cleveland, Pittsburgh, & Buffalo. I've taken numerous drives to all three areas for my cache runs as I've already found every cache within 50 miles except for a few recent new ones.

Edited by Tprints

I've cached in 9 states so far. I went to Augusta, Maine to go to an event and meet brdad, JustJen, Noreastah, YeOldProspector and a bunch of other cachers. I have driven to New Jersey, New York, and Long Island to meet up with other cachers. As far as my gas money will take me I guess would be the answer. I'm not done caching yet.

I drove 350 miles and 12,000 feet, then walked to 14,000 feet, for FTF at GCADC9

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-986aad7fb539

I'd missed it's initial placement by a few weeks the year before.

I've driven 400 miles for FTF at GC788F east of Mt. Whitney, and got FTF at GC382A on the way. On another trip, STF on the bonus 6th cache of Snoogan's 4WD series.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGF8P

Oh, drove 1800 miles to and through Vegas to bag 150 caches on a long weekend, and catch the air show at Edwards.

58492662-43cc-464b-b908-8e3b8ffb2da9.jpg

Edited by bthomas

I am definitely a stage 3 cacher, anywhere, anytime. Although our local area is not completely exhausted we have taken to hunting farther away from home. Mainly this is to let our home area build back up so we can have big hunts like in the old days (6 months ago). It is also great to see what the trends are in other parts of the country.

Edited by Monkeybrad

I live in Norhtern VA so I do most of my caching around home but I have a cottage in Lancaster Co., VA (on the Rappahannock River near the Chesapeake Bay) and I travel that 125 mi quite often. I drove around "sightseeing" near the cottage one weekend and did a "little caching." I think I put about 200 mi on the car in one day. :)

I was FTF on a local cache down near the cottage though! So far there hasn't been a second finder. Might have something to do with the 4 mi hike in sub-freezing wind. My mustache was frozen when I finally got back to the car. :) Is that going too far?

Did a little caching on the way home last time too... finally got my wife to go on a cache hunt with me. She's still kinda ho-hum about the idea though. :)

I'm still at it though.... What the heck! I'm havin' fun!