If you could, how would you design your perfect GPS.

Luckless

I was changing out the batteries in my GPS and thought why couldn't my GPS have a rechargable battery like a cell phone? Ooh and maybe a built in camera. My niece's digital camera has a crank so she can charge it by cranking, wouldn't that be great for my GPS when I'm out in the middle of the woods and my batteries go dead. SOLAR POWERed, yeah!

Voice interaction for basic functions. For example, being able to speak commands like

"go to Riverside cache"

"add waypoint --pause-- second stage --pause-- north 30 degrees 10.456 --pause-- west 094 degrees 08.654"

"add waypoint --pause-- new cache --pause-- current position --pause-- average location"

"waas on, waas off"

Combine iPhone, Garmin Nuvi and Garmin 60Cx (my favourite of my garmins so far -- and I have a 62S).

Paperless, rugged, water resistant, great antennae, iPhone quality camera, 3G access, wifi, waypoint averaging, waas, large display, ergonomic, great for hiking and driving, text messaging, IM, lifetime maps, long battery life, usb rechargeable like my iPhone, anti-theft protection, apps (navigation apps, geo tools, other geo game apps, etc).

I was changing out the batteries in my GPS and thought why couldn't my GPS have a rechargable battery like a cell phone?

No thanks. What if the batteries go dead while on a hike in the forest? Not too many trees have electrical outlets. I like being able to just reach in my pack and replace the batteries.

SOLAR POWERed, yeah!

Not so good for night caching. :rolleyes:

I carry extra batteries. I also have a compass on the oft chance my GPS just dies. Don't know how much good that will do me though.

I was changing out the batteries in my GPS and thought why couldn't my GPS have a rechargable battery like a cell phone?

No thanks. What if the batteries go dead while on a hike in the forest? Not too many trees have electrical outlets. I like being able to just reach in my pack and replace the batteries.

SOLAR POWERed, yeah!

SOLAR POWERed, yeah!

the new oregon 600 has a rechargable battery,plus it has slots for AA batteries also. Best of both worlds.

What I would really like is a port on my Garmin Dakota 20 so I can plug into my car's power and charge/run while on-the-drive. My batteries will last for 8 to 10 hrs or so but if i'm activley navigating (say on a road where it lights up to tell me where to turn) it drains in 5 hrs or less. Then I have to pull over on my recent trip to southern CA to change the battries. A solar panel would be AWESOME!

Otherwize i like my inter-changeable batteries for hiking. A quick stop, swap out and swap in, boom i'm on my way again.

Just note that I use rechargeable AA batteries in the GPS. They seem to last longer than Alkalines.

Edited by Saddle Mountain Man

It would solve all puzzle and multis for me and just take me to the final coordinates.

That takes the fun out of it!

To me fun is getting out there and poking my hands around in random dark, damp holes not playing alone with my 27" Mac.

Edited by Roman!

I was changing out the batteries in my GPS and thought why couldn't my GPS have a rechargable battery like a cell phone? Ooh and maybe a built in camera. My niece's digital camera has a crank so she can charge it by cranking, wouldn't that be great for my GPS when I'm out in the middle of the woods and my batteries go dead. SOLAR POWERed, yeah!

Magellan came out with a GPS with a built in rechargeable battery some years ago. The criticism was strong and they dropped it. I think field replaceable batteries are essential in a GPS unit meant for the outdoors where you can be away from a power source for a day or more. I wouldn't mind being able to plug in the unit to recharge my Eneloopes though.

I like the form of the DeLorme units but I would prefer the display of the Garmin units. DeLorme uses such small fonts and icons. No touch screen, fine for the car but not for the outdoors.

I'd like at least 2,000 waypoints in memory and a file system where you can keep virtually unlimited cache waypoints on the SD card in neatly organized files is essential.

Waypoint projection is nice to have.

Wireless capability would be a bonus and I'm sure it is on the way in the next generation of units.

Edited by briansnat

From briansnat

I'd like at least 2,000 waypoints in memory and a file system where you can keep virtually unlimited cache waypoints on the SD card in neatly organized files is essential.

My Garmin Dakota can store caches in the SD card. has nice cache-filter settings too.

Wireless capability would be a bonus and I'm sure it is on the way in the next generation of units.

Talking WiFi and Bluetooth or just short range transfer? Dakota's already got short range transfer to other wirelessly-enabled Garmins.

As for me, what GC needs to do for thier website is create an app for iphone/ipad. That would be cool for roadtrips (since wifi spots can be few-and-far between in Eastern oregon).

As for me, what GC needs to do for thier website is create an app for iphone/ipad. That would be cool for roadtrips (since wifi spots can be few-and-far between in Eastern oregon).

There is already an active discussion forum on bug reporting for the iphone app, so I am pretty sure that there is already an app out there for you. But would an ipad be useful for caching in the woods?

Linky

Edited by wimseyguy

I generally am happy with my existing gpsr (Montana) because of its support for voice directions when driving, the choice between a rechargeable battery and regular batteries, reasonable accuracy and field notes, configurable screens. But I also find myself caching with the iphone in most situations. So combining the best of both would include:

1. Wherigo support. The separate iphone app works for me, but if I am caching with the handheld it would be nice to have it on the same unit (as I did with my old Colorado).

2. High definition screen that supports photos on the cache description. I use geosphere to view any cache page where content is important -- which displays beautifully -- but if a handheld had a similar display then I would probably use it more. I also use geosphere for the way that it filters and displays a group of caches. I have not seen any handheld that does that as well, so again, a unit that combines the two. . .

3.. Wireless transfer from phone to gpsr. I currently maintain databases of unfound puzzles and challenges on geosphere and transfer that to the handheld using email and a computer. It would be great to do it directly. The alternative might be a unit that was designed with easy access to an sd card.

4. GLONASS support.

I do not need cameras on my gpsr - I have real cameras and/or the iphone (with all of its photo editing capability) for that. So unless the capabilities of the gpsr cameras that I have seen were expanded greatly, I would not include that,

And of course the unit would never have any software or hardware problems.

Edited by geodarts

I'd like a heads up display that would show me the arrow and distance to GZ in the corner of my field of vision once I am on foot. This way I can concentrate on where I am walking and enjoy the view without glancing down at the screen.

Has anyone seen Google Glass yet? I think it would be amazing with a Geocaching application. Completely hands free which would let you keep your balance and footing easier and be able to keep an eye one distance while focusing on looking for hiding spots and the cache itself.

One of the examples shows a basic nav screen, could be almost revolutionary.

Maybe this is a newbie thing, but I'd like it still be pointing in the correct direction if I stop

Mine is that way too. Forget the arrow. Have to use the distance to waymark reading.

Interesting to follow this thread and see all the innovative things I hadn't heard of.

I'd like a heads up display that would show me the arrow and distance to GZ in the corner of my field of vision once I am on foot. This way I can concentrate on where I am walking and enjoy the view without glancing down at the screen.

I was going to say. One that integrates with Google Glass

Has anyone seen Google Glass yet? I think it would be amazing with a Geocaching application. Completely hands free which would let you keep your balance and footing easier and be able to keep an eye one distance while focusing on looking for hiding spots and the cache itself.

One of the examples shows a basic nav screen, could be almost revolutionary.

If you think Google Glass is impressive, take a look at

which describes something called Sixth Sense. Now imagine how it could be used for geocaching.

Here goes:

Amazingly rugged. A semi could drive over it, and then I could drop it off the Eiffel Tower without damage (maybe a scratch or two).

Absolutely 100% completely waterproof under ANY conditions. Take it by submersible to your local seamount at 5000 feet below sea level...it floats to the surface, undamaged.

4G cell, WIFI, Bluetooth and satellite connectivity!

Completely intuitive interface that even your Gramma could figure out.

Fabulous battery life...24 hours or more on a single set of two ordinary alkaline AA cells.

500 GB of memory so it can hold the complete details (including every log) for every cache in the entire world.

All this in a package no bigger than a typical cell phone.

Affordable! $250 US max.

Fabulous accessories like heads-up glasses, and a heads-up display for my vehicle.

The ability to read the cache description to me as I navigate to the location, and an option to let me know that I may not be prepared based on attributes on the cache page.

There may be more, but this should cover it for now.

Designers, GET YOUR BUTTS IN GEAR! :lol:;)

Here goes:

Amazingly rugged. A semi could drive over it, and then I could drop it off the Eiffel Tower without damage (maybe a scratch or two).

Absolutely 100% completely waterproof under ANY conditions. Take it by submersible to your local seamount at 5000 feet below sea level...it floats to the surface, undamaged.

4G cell, WIFI, Bluetooth and satellite connectivity!

Completely intuitive interface that even your Gramma could figure out.

Fabulous battery life...24 hours or more on a single set of two ordinary alkaline AA cells.

500 GB of memory so it can hold the complete details (including every log) for every cache in the entire world.

All this in a package no bigger than a typical cell phone.

Affordable! $250 US max.

Fabulous accessories like heads-up glasses, and a heads-up display for my vehicle.

The ability to read the cache description to me as I navigate to the location, and an option to let me know that I may not be prepared based on attributes on the cache page.

There may be more, but this should cover it for now.

Designers, GET YOUR BUTTS IN GEAR! :lol:;)

CRAP!

I left our survey-grade accuracy within 30 seconds.

:)

A nice feature but the heat seeking missle launcher is likely to increase the form factor.

Naahh, just a voice prompt telling you to 'Step-up the pace!'

If I am going to deploy something, it'll be a micro-helicopter with a GPS jammer in it. :P:lol:

In that case, all your GPS needs to be able to do is send a launch code and coordinates for the target to your home base. No sense in carrying around missles or micro-helicopters with you.

A nice feature but the heat seeking missle launcher is likely to increase the form factor.

If I am going to deploy something, it'll be a micro-helicopter with a GPS jammer in it. :P:lol:

In that case, all your GPS needs to be able to do is send a launch code and coordinates for the target to your home base. No sense in carrying around missles or micro-helicopters with you.

Even better... so no one has to get hurt,

An application that notices other cachers getting close to the new cache, and sends out a notification to their phone mentionning that the cache has been disabled by the CO for a reason or another.

They turn around, but you keep going!

FTF... all the TIME!

:P

Even better... so no one has to get hurt,

An application that notices other cachers getting close to the new cache, and sends out a notification to their phone mentionning that the cache has been disabled by the CO for a reason or another.

They turn around, but you keep going!

FTF... all the TIME!

:P

Of course, in the future all physical logs will be replaced with NFC (near field communication) chips which you can hack remotely so that instead of logging the cache they're rick-rolled.