Cache page as a memorial?

ArtieD

A message was posted around Fecebook telling of a specific cache in Sandy Hook, CT, on which people were posting condolence messages, and apparently the cache owner is fine with it. Nevertheless, it appears that a cacher (possibly a kid) has posted two NA logs on it, complaining that this is not the place for such things. I guess people have emailed him because he fairly rudely told people to stop messaging him over the deal.

What do you all think about this? If a cache owner is fine with it, do you think there is a problem with allowing people to make it a de facto memorial?

If its my cache, I would remove all those notes and with a warning not to turn my caches into a memorial. Its against the guideline to post on cache page in just manners anyway. Cache pages are about the cache and not about an event that happen nearby. So its off topic and its using the cache page as a forum. Period.

The cache in question is at the town Fire Department and the CO appears to be a member of the department.

If he's OK with the listing being used as a memorial page for members of the geocaching community to use in sharing their hugs, then I don't see any problems with it. I suspect Groundspeak doesn't either.

Since the NA logs have already been deleted by the CO or Groundspeak that issue is moot.

Generally speaking, Groundspeak frowns on cache pages being turned into a forum. However, several times in the past, after major events (the Japan tsunami jumps to mind) Groundspeak has silently allowed a cache page or two to become a memorial. The number of complainers in this thread pales in comparison to the number of complaints they would get if they took a hard line on memorials of this sort.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't type of things.

Yeah, what is the big deal...it seems to happen only on extreme individual cases. The owner is okay and folks obviously seem to want to make condolence messages and they are using that cache (which is the most likely cache anyway) as a means to help express their grief or something. Not sure why anyone would care on a cache that should not affect them in any way.

Because groundspeaks TOS and policy are more important then a way for people to express their feelings to a CO and community that has just experienced the unimaginable. Somehow, I think Groundspeak would let this one slide.

My heart is broken for those who died and their families.

Edited by nthacker66

It depends. I tried once for a friend who died and the reviewer wanted me to change it because geocaching is suppose to be fun and uplifting and not make the cachers sad and depressed. I think they may have mentioned that it is a form of an agenda.

For the cache in Newtown, the cache description, which was the basis for publishing the cache, makes no reference to the tragedy. The condolences are being posted as Notes. The cache itself isn't the tribute, and has no agenda. The Notes being left are what make the cache special.

Although cache logs should never be used like a forum to discuss issues, no one is discussing (arguing about) anything here. Personally, I applaud Groundspeak for making a minor exception to their guidelines to allow these notes to stay.

--Larry

I don't see an NA log on the cache. While the notes appear to be fine right now, I do believe a reviewer should at least be watching the cache page.

The "Needs Archived" logs have been deleted, and I wouldn't expect any more similar logs.

The local reviewer and Groundspeak are very much aware of the cache listing.

I don't see an NA log on the cache. While the notes appear to be fine right now, I do believe a reviewer should at least be watching the cache page.

The "Needs Archived" logs have been deleted, and I wouldn't expect any more similar logs.

From the west coast: Thanks Keystone

There is one memorial cache that I know of. It wasn't originally set up that way but the FTF had an accident on his way back to his vehicle and died. The cache was renamed "Chuck's Last First" (GC3PXG1) to honour the cacher. I gather he was well known to the caching community. I believe his family was fine with the cache being in his name too.

There is a cache near me that is dedicated to a former (late) pupil of a school, the cache is in his memory. The logs are normal found/dnf logs.

Its a humbling experience to hunt and log a cache that is in memory of someones that has died.

The use of a cache page as a condolence book i dont agree with, but a cache in memory of someone i quite like the idea of as long as the logs stay on topic.

As a local to the tragedy, and friend of the cache owner, let me say that the more love that pours in, the more you restore our faith in humanity. We don't mind. It's been a really heartbreaking week. I cry at the least mention. I almost cried when a customer came in today with a small child, because he was so cute and innocent. The smallest thing, like making dinner, has me thinking of children who will never learn to cook, fall in love, go hiking, fishing, camping, to their prom, their wedding, have children of their own.

Please, feel free to show that you care.

The cache owner is the volunteer asst. fire chief. He and his family are OK.

Peace on earth. We were all at a very happy event last week. It seems like a year ago.

Love.

Joy for the holidays to all.

That cache page helped me last night, to know that there is still good out there.

I cannot imagine what that town is like right now. Horrific. If the CO is OK with some condolences, let it stand. This is not typical.

The town is overrun with media. The media are knocking on every door for a sound bite. The media is renting office space and settling in for a good long time. The media should go away.

People are coming from all over with flowers, candles, letters, stuffed animals, banners, money....

Memorials are popping up everywhere.

The street by the school is lined with Christmas trees and people are decorating them with mementos.

The local supermarket put two people on every single register, for security reasons.

And the funerals.... one after another.....

There was a bomb threat at the church during the first service.

A man was arrested for breach of peace... for carrying an umbrella strapped to his back, wearing all black, and a face mask, at the train station two towns away. Someone thought the umbrella was a rifle, or a sword.

Life is going to be different.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Planet

Thank you Keystone, and thank you Groundspeak.

Normally I hate caches being used as a memorial, but this is a pretty huge exception to me.

I agree with Planet that any and all love pouring into the community is a good thing right now. It's good for cachers to have a way to add their love to that. People need to know cachers care too and are there with them in spirit too.

Not in keeping with the intent of Geocaching. Sorry. There are better places.

What happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School was not in keeping with the intent of the school. Of the community. Of the town. Of this country.

Everywhere I go in this area, I see memorials, some sanctioned, many apparently spontaneous. Every single one of them is tolerated, every single one is welcome, every single one is a step in the right direction, an attempt to show love and support, to heal and put so many tiny pieces back together and find some semblance of the whole that once was.

The messages on that page, perhaps not strictly within a narrow definition of "in keeping with", are no different.

Right now, "better places" are an absurd fantasy.

Not in keeping with the intent of Geocaching. Sorry. There are better places.

What happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School was not in keeping with the intent of the school. Of the community. Of the town. Of this country.

Everywhere I go in this area, I see memorials, some sanctioned, many apparently spontaneous. Every single one of them is tolerated, every single one is welcome, every single one is a step in the right direction, an attempt to show love and support, to heal and put so many tiny pieces back together and find some semblance of the whole that once was.

The messages on that page, perhaps not strictly within a narrow definition of "in keeping with", are no different.

Right now, "better places" are an absurd fantasy.

Don't worry about it. This is what happens when you don't properly size your undershorts.

I wouldn't do it myself (and some messages on that cache page don't seem wholly appropriate- one basically eludes that this happened because of a lack of religion in schools for example), but the magic of the Internet is I don't have to spend time looking at things I don't agree with or am not interested in.

If such a listing helps people knock yourselves out, but I will find my own ways to respond.

Well. I went to an event tonight and to get there I had to drive through Newtown. The higway was backed up. Route 6 was backed up. Church Hill was backed up. I knew the back roads so I cut through and knocked off a lot of the traffic jam, but still had to make it through Sandy Hook to get to Rte. 34. It took me about 10-15 minutes to get down the hill. I knew I would be driving through Newtown, so I had signs in my back windows "Media! Show some respect. Leave the mourners in peace."

And I drove into Sandy Hook, and I've never seen it look more beautiful. Christmas lights and decorations, and so many memorials on the lawns. And people everywhere, the restaurants were hopping. And the cars in the traffic jam were being polite! A few out of state plates. And the memorial on the corner was huge. There were two traffic cops at the intersection. And two corners (only two have sidewalks) were packed with the media. There were blinding lights set up, and traffic was moving very sliwly. The whole town was one big traffic jam. This particular intersection in Sandy Hook is dad a normal day. My niece got hit by a car there one day. (She used her karate lessons and pushed off, survived but bruised up) And for them to choose this spot to set up is just ridiculous. There doesn't need to be that many reporters there. My sister was in town today, and told a cameraman not to take her picture. As she's hugging a neighbor, she sees the cameraman peeking out from behind a tree snapping their photo!