Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

Same here. OS Maps have stopped working in GSAK for some reason. Have applied all the latest patches etc.

Looks like BING are doing all they can to prevent users from using alternative mapping OR to ensure users have to sign up for a key.... leading to more cost to users eventually maybe?

Who knows?

A colleague mentioned that a smartphone biking app which used to have OS map support has suddenly stopped as well.

Still no luck getting my OS maps back in GME despite logging out, clearing cache, trying other browsers.

I've also noticed that the GME link to MAGIC Maps leads to a map which shows 'SSSI Impact Risk Zones' rather than SSSIs

There might be a workaround if you use pocket queries: Download the gpx-file -> convert into KML (for example by using gpsvisualizer.com) -> import into "My places" on bing maps. Worked for me. Didn't need any app key's or similar. You might need to sign up to bing.

There might be a workaround if you use pocket queries: Download the gpx-file -> convert into KML (for example by using gpsvisualizer.com) -> import into "My places" on bing maps. Worked for me. Didn't need any app key's or similar. You might need to sign up to bing.

If you go to the GSAK forum and search for the OS Map issue you will find that it has been "solved" for the present by using a slightly different GSAK Macro (how it's done is described clearly when you find the item and it's all very easy to follow)

For the moment then no more worries about getting your own API key etc etc etc

I have had OS maps working for a few days, testing out my method to see if there were any pitfalls. So far, so good. Follow these steps to see if you can get it working also.

1) Go to Bing Maps Key and follow the instructions there to get a personal key. I got a "Basic" key as a "Trial" key only lasts 90 days. I think a Basic key gives you 50000 tiles per day but I can't be sure. If there is a usage limit, best not to share your key with anyone else.

2) Insert your key into the following string, replacing the 'xx...xx' bit.

{"alt":"Ordnance Survey by Bing","tileUrl":"https://t{s}.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}.png?g=3440&productSet=mmOS&key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "subdomains": "0123", "minZoom":10, "maxZoom": 17, "attribution":"Ordnance Survey imagery from <a href='https://www.bing.com/maps/'>Bing Maps</a>", "name":"osbing"}

3) Add the above (revised) string into GME as a Custom Map source, both http (cache page) and https (big map).

4) Select OS maps from the drop down as your preferred map source.

I've just done this and it works! A massive thanks to you JimJinks.

I have had OS maps working for a few days, testing out my method to see if there were any pitfalls. So far, so good. Follow these steps to see if you can get it working also.

1) Go to Bing Maps Key and follow the instructions there to get a personal key. I got a "Basic" key as a "Trial" key only lasts 90 days. I think a Basic key gives you 50000 tiles per day but I can't be sure. If there is a usage limit, best not to share your key with anyone else.

{"alt":"Ordnance Survey by Bing","tileUrl":"https://t{s}.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net/tiles/r{q}.png?g=3440&productSet=mmOS&key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", "subdomains": "0123", "minZoom":10, "maxZoom": 17, "attribution":"Ordnance Survey imagery from <a href='https://www.bing.com/maps/'>Bing Maps</a>", "name":"osbing"}

3) Add the above (revised) string into GME as a Custom Map source, both http (cache page) and https (big map).

And it's stopped working again....

And it's stopped working again....

Is anyone else having issues with Chrome disabling GME? I plug it in and it works fine, but then (normally after a restart of the PC) it shows up in Chrome's list of extensions as disabled. It's not difficult to save the script, remove the extension, and then reinstall, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Anyone found a way around it?

Is anyone else having issues with Chrome disabling GME? I plug it in and it works fine, but then (normally after a restart of the PC) it shows up in Chrome's list of extensions as disabled. It's not difficult to save the script, remove the extension, and then reinstall, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Are you running the script through Tampermonkey?

Are you running the script through Tampermonkey?

I think so but will check.

Isn't it nice of Chrome to be taking such good care of me? Heaven forbid I should just choose what software I want to run.

Went to the tampermonkey install page and it came up saying that THAT had been disabled by Chrome, although with an option to just reenable it. Have now done that so we'll see what happens.

After using the Bing maps quite successfully to show OS mapping on the geocaching map display, it has stopped working! I have tried creating a new map key in case I had exceeded the allowed downloads but the result is the same. I can not recognise the map that is displayed but it has slightly less detail than Mapquest. The map does change when selecting OS by Bing and the correct attribution does appear in the bottom right corner of the map. The map just is not an OS map. Looks like a change in Bing but I am nor sure what. This with Firefox on OSX on two machines. Is anyone else experiencing this?

After using the Bing maps quite successfully to show OS mapping on the geocaching map display, it has stopped working! I have tried creating a new map key in case I had exceeded the allowed downloads but the result is the same. I can not recognise the map that is displayed but it has slightly less detail than Mapquest. The map does change when selecting OS by Bing and the correct attribution does appear in the bottom right corner of the map. The map just is not an OS map. Looks like a change in Bing but I am nor sure what. This with Firefox on OSX on two machines. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Still working fine for me, so far, both on Chrome and Firefox on Win7.

Many thanks to Muddy_Puddles for confirming that the method still works. Encouraged by this I continued investigating and found that the OS map on the small map on a cache page did work but once I selected View Larger Map I saw a Bing map rather than an OS one. This confirmed that the Bing map key was working correctly and suggested that it was a GME configuration problem. Then I saw this in the GME configuration page:

Where did my custom maps go? Geocaching.com now serves is main map page via a secure https connection and other pages via normal http. Unfortunately, GME's configuration can't be shared between http and https, so you may see a different selections on cache pages and the main map. To get them back, access this configuration screen from the gear icon on the main map or the Profile menu on most other pages, then use the "Export custom maps" and "Add mapsource" functions on the Manage Maps tab to cut and paste your custom map configuration from one set of pages to the other.

This looked hopeful and I accessed the settings from the gear menu on the main map page and added the custom map line ending up with two Ordnance Survey by Bing custom map settings. Now I can see OS mapping on cache and map pages as intended. The odd thing is that it had worked previously without doing this. But all is well again and I can enjoy caching with knowledge of where footpaths and bridleways are located.

Sorry for this cry for help. I'm sure there should be enough info available for me to solve it myself but I have failed.

Firstly, I admit to letting my premium membership lapse due to the increase in cost and being too busy to make use of it - I mention in case premium is a prerequisite for GME to function. I have also made the transition to win 8.1 from XP. I am using chrome. I'm pretty sure when I setup GME in win 8.1 back in January that OS maps worked. Currently I have discovered they do not. Both in the second map on the cache page or the full size map the layers menu shows the option to select the OS map but they do not show, it appears to be bing maps which is not on the list but I guess is the default. I do have leaflet selected according to map preferences.

I have read the https info above but cannot make sense of export etc and can't find the original page of the quote for more info. Not sure this would be the issue if I can't see OS on the cache page and the full size/larger map page.

GME shows up as v 0.7.2 from the gear icon and v1.0 extension in chrome.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Phil

EDIT: Sorry I seem to have asked a bit prematurely. From working my way back there seems to be the bing maps key issue which at the moment does not seem to have a simple solution; already stalled at the what url to use for the key. The more we get the more things break!

Edited by wphil

Not sure if this might help anyone having difficulty with OS maps, but here goes.

I decided to do some general clearing up of Chrome - browsing history, download history, cookies, plug-in data & the (browser) cache, that sort of stuff. OS Maps stopped working, it looks like the clear-out deleted the Bing map source I'd added. GME was still there, I just didn't have OS maps in the drop down or in the GME settings. So I had to find the original post explaining how to add Bing maps (thanks again, JimJinks), dig out my original key - which is still valid - and recreate it all so now I'm back to normal. Not sure I know why a simple browser clear out should have deleted a mapsource (and if it was explained I'm not sure I'd understand !), but maybe that's why some people find OS maps suddenly stops working for no apparent reason ?

wphil: sorry this is a bit late, but posts #636 & #644 in this thread give the detailed instructions about how to add in the mapsource to both sets of GME settings, once you have your Bing maps key.

Now if only I could get GC maps NOT to freeze just when I need it (usually on a Sunday morning when planning the afternoon walk), I'd be a happy bunny !

Quite frustrating that we in the UK used to have access to an OS map which displayed all of the caches on it which meant you could get to the spot before homing in with a gps if neccessary .But now that's all gone ,seemingly never to return.

Don't understand the various "workrounds" as they're a bit gobbledygoop for us none techies :rolleyes:

GME's configuration can't be shared between http and https, so you may see a different selections on cache pages and the main map. To get them back, access this configuration screen from the gear icon on the main map or the Profile menu on most other pages ..

If you are wondering (as I did), where "the Profile menu" can be found: click on the down arrow to the right of your Geocaching userid.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with GME version 0.73? I can't see the controls over geocaching.com's map anymore. Additionally, corrected coordinates are not shown in the cache page map anymore. Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm not sure what you mean by the controls but I'm not having any problem with seeing the right types of map in the top right hand corner of both the small and big maps and the icons in the bottom left hand corner of the big map are also fine foe me.

However, like you I'm not seeing the corrected co-ords on either the smaller or larger maps. This is almost certainly the result of a code update from geocaching.com and will need someone to look at the GME code to accommodate the change. I know that jri isn't able to maintain the add-on any more (well, at the moment at least), so I'm hoping that another savvy user will come along and write the fix for us.

Any offers?

Ok, I am not seeing the icons in the bottom left hand corner of the big map. However, I am able to change maps types in the top right hand corner. I hope that another savvy user will come to rescue the script:)

Try toggling the left-side panel of the large maps screen. Once you slide it out of view you should see the GME configuration icons in the bottom left-hand corner, and sliding the left-side panel back to visible moves the icons over for you.

The latest (Feb 2016) changes/updates to cache pages mean that GME's script settings are no longer available from the drop-down menu, so you can't (re)configure the cache-page map to select other maps, including the OS map. I'm guessing this means a script update is needed. So far, the main (big) map page is still working fine. If (when?) that breaks, I really will need to start learning how to create scripts.. or just hope someone (JimJinks? :)) comes along and fixes stuff again for us.

The latest (Feb 2016) changes/updates to cache pages mean that GME's script settings are no longer available from the drop-down menu, so you can't (re)configure the cache-page map to select other maps, including the OS map. I'm guessing this means a script update is needed. So far, the main (big) map page is still working fine. If (when?) that breaks, I really will need to start learning how to create scripts.. or just hope someone (JimJinks? :)) comes along and fixes stuff again for us.

Still working for me on the cache description page (drop down menu at top and map options on small map).

I notice that this page is now delivered using HTTPS (like the big map page), whereas before it was HTTP. This should mean that only one settings storage area is used, so if you can access the settings page from elsewhere it will apply to the cache description page also.

The one thing I do miss (and which I'm desperately hoping someone will be able to fix) is the corrected co-ordinates indicator on both the small and large maps.

With Unknowns and mulitcaches, GME used to show the original location of the cache AND the new corrected location with a line drawn between the two. So helpful when you'd solved a puzzle to see if it was in a plausible location, like on a footpath and not within the saturation radius of another hide. The adjusted location icon would show a green tick next to it on both maps to differentiate between the two.

At the moment, the small map shows only the NEW location (which you can't see Ordnance Survey maps with) and the big map shows only the OLD location (hopeless to gauge where the final location is in relation to other caches and landmarks).

A fix to that would a marvellous and much appreciated step forward again.

Still working for me on the cache description page (drop down menu at top and map options on small map).

Bah. I hate it when it's "just me". The drop-down GME settings menu is there on the big map page and my Profile page, but not on any cache listing, so (for whatever reason) it would appear that GME is no longer working on cache listing pages for me. It's not a big deal, but I would like to know why so I can fix it.

Bah. I hate it when it's "just me". The drop-down GME settings menu is there on the big map page and my Profile page, but not on any cache listing, so (for whatever reason) it would appear that GME is no longer working on cache listing pages for me. It's not a big deal, but I would like to know why so I can fix it.

If you are up for editing the script, try commenting out line 2644 i.e. change it to:

// return;

as I believe the detection of being logged in is not working due to a html change to the page.

If you are up for editing the script, try commenting out line 2644 i.e. change it to:

// return;

as I believe the detection of being logged in is not working due to a html change to the page.

Bingo. I'm guessing it must have taken some time to track it down, so many thanks for doing so.

I've since looked at the test for "loggedin" in the script. It appears that "ct100_divSignedIn" has been changed to "ct100_uxLoginStatus_divSignedIn" on the listing pages, but changing the script to use that test didn't work, so I may be on the wrong track. Thus I'll leave any further script edit suggestions to you!

// return;

Ummm, for those of us who are script-illiterate but willing to have a go, is there any chance of someone providing some instructions about how to do this ? Where do I find the script itself, how do I back-up the original before fiddling with it, what do I do to persuade Chrome to use the new version after I've edited it, etc ? Thanks.

// return;

Ummm, for those of us who are script-illiterate but willing to have a go, is there any chance of someone providing some instructions about how to do this ? Where do I find the script itself, how do I back-up the original before fiddling with it, what do I do to persuade Chrome to use the new version after I've edited it, etc ? Thanks.

I am illiterate in these matters but just managed to do this successfully in Chrome and Firefox. In Firefox left click on the monkey icon, then Manage User Scripts, right click on the Geocaching Map Enhancements and choose Edit, scroll down to the right line and add // in front of return, click on save. That worked for me. If it goes wrong just go back and take out the //. It's similar in Tampermonkey for Chrome. Right click on the Tampermonkey icon and choose Options.

Edited by Pieman

Thanks Pieman, just what I needed ! Couple of additional steps in there for Chrome I had to puzzle out, so for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't know their way around these things, the steps that worked for me are:

1. Right-click on Tampermonkey icon

2. Select "Options"

3. Select tab "Installed userscripts"

4. Click on GME

5. Scroll down to line 2644, add the "//"

6. Click the "Save" button.

Job done, OS maps and corrected locations of solved puzzles are now back on the small maps on the cache pages.

Thanks Pieman, just what I needed ! Couple of additional steps in there for Chrome I had to puzzle out, so for the benefit of anyone else who doesn't know their way around these things, the steps that worked for me are:

1. Right-click on Tampermonkey icon

2. Select "Options"

3. Select tab "Installed userscripts"

4. Click on GME

5. Scroll down to line 2644, add the "//"

6. Click the "Save" button.

Job done, OS maps and corrected locations of solved puzzles are now back on the small maps on the cache pages.

Thanks so much to TheCelts for posting this extra bit. Not only does it act as a helpful step-by-step guide for those of us who haven't got a clue what we're doing, but it indicated to me that it could solve my problem with missing corrected locations too!

Up until this point, I thought this workaround was only for people who weren't seeing OS maps at all (I was seeing them still). It appeared that in replying to the user with the OS map problem it was only that issue which would be solved but it's solved my corrected co-ords issue too.

So many thanks to ALL who contributed to this. It makes SUCH a huge difference.

I used to use OS maps in Chrome but then they decided GME was not one of theirs so disabled them...have tried reloading them again yesterday but Chrome wont let them work...Have loaded GME on Firefox with Tampermonkey and still no joy..and only Bing Aeriel shows in menu.....very frustrating as OS maps are so much better for planning a route...now I do a screen capture from Streetmap then put it in Paint and add a red circle of all the caches I want then print it out....