Geocaching Map Enhancements

jri

On 4/23/2021 at 5:26 PM, arm-chair said:

same problem for me. It happened once before and I think it was a cookie issue

Last time a link on the pages to cookiebot.com was causing the problem - blocking cookiebot.com, using your favourite adblocking software, resolved it. This time it looks different, I've tried blocking all external links and GME still won't play. Someone's going to have to look at the source and see if they can figure out what needs changing, I'm hoping @JimJinks is going to pop along soon - he's resolved earlier issues, when @jri wasn't around.

I have come up with a temporary fix, it was the logged in detection which was not working, it looks like the element at the top of the page has changed.

//loggedin: (!!document.getElementById("ctl00_uxLoginStatus_divSignedIn") || !!document.getElementById("uxLoginStatus_divSignedIn")),
loggedin: true,

I commented out first line, line 133 (with //) and added second line as line 134 to force logged in status to be true.

I then had to re-add the OS map source to GME settings as it had disappeared.

2 minutes ago, wendykmj said:

Hi Jim, being rather thick today..... just cannot remember how to amend the GME source code as you have suggested.  Can you explain please?

Many thanks

Wendykmj

Depends on what browser and script manager you are using.

For Chrome/Tampermonkey click the extension icon on the toolbar (black square with two dots) and select Dashboard.

Find "Geocaching Map Enhancements" in the list and click name to open editor.

Make changes to listing and click File & Save

On 4/25/2021 at 12:17 PM, JimJinks said:

I have come up with a temporary fix, it was the logged in detection which was not working, it looks like the element at the top of the page has changed.

//loggedin: (!!document.getElementById("ctl00_uxLoginStatus_divSignedIn") || !!document.getElementById("uxLoginStatus_divSignedIn")),

I commented out first line, line 133 (with //) and added second line as line 134 to force logged in status to be true.

I then had to re-add the OS map source to GME settings as it had disappeared.

I've not been successful at doing this amendment.  Got into TM ok, accessed the edit functions and found the first line to be listed at 138.  Made the changes as shown but still do not get the GME options shown under the down arrow.

I was on V0.9.0, I reverted to V0.8.0 - correct line numbering 133 with the older version but still not working for me.

Noted I have a red cross at line 29 (on both versions of the script) that shows "/* global $, amplify, DMM, FileReader, GM, GM_xmlhttpRequest, Groundspeak, L, LatLon, mapLatLng, MapSettings */"

Any idea whizz-kids?

Edited by Sue and Bernie
Further invest with older script installed.
14 hours ago, longwhatton34 said:

I use GME in Firefox with Greasemonkey and can't see how to update the script to show OS maps in the mini map. If I can update it will it also show the line from the original coords to the new ones?

Click the monkey icon on the toolbar, select "Geocaching Map Enhancements" in the list, select edit. Make the change and click the diskette in top left to save.

All normal function on the mini map is restored.

Edited by JimJinks

Ah, yay! I was about to report that the minimap is still non-functioning, in the openuserjs forum, but found the link to this post (in the UK/Ireland forum!) with the temporary fix.

Will GME be getting an update soon to deal with all the web changes that have been happening by HQ recently?

For now, glad to have the mini map enhancements back, even if it's just a hotfix :)

eta: for ease of fixing, locate the loggedin value line, comment it out and just set it to true:

Edited by thebruce0
On 5/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, JimJinks said:

Click the monkey icon on the toolbar, select "Geocaching Map Enhancements" in the list, select edit. Make the change and click the diskette in top left to save.

All normal function on the mini map is restored.

Thanks Jim, I didn't have a clue so I just copied and overwrote the script and checked a couple of caches. The OS map and blue line are both back in the minimap. Cheers

Anybody else that have problems with this script changing links to images in found logs on the cache page?

After the actual image it adds &pop=and a base64 encoded string containing the waypoints for the cache. This only happens when the cachepage contains more than one waypoint. With one waypoint, everything is OK

Example of link on the cache page

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/b3a348db-b782-43e4-bf5f-5cdcb1388a21.jpg&pop=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

Example of what the base64 string decodes to

{"primary":[{"lat":59.36797,"lng":11.24368,"type":2,"name":"Bøkollen","isUserDefined":false,"oldLatLngDisplay":"N 59° 22.078' E 011° 14.621'"}],"additional":[{"lat":59.3721,"lng":11.23783,"type":217,"name":"Dueholveien (Parking Area)","pf":"P0"},{"lat":59.37238,"lng":11.23902,"type":221,"name":"Veien mot Bøkollen (Trailhead)","pf":"T0"}]}

On 6/2/2021 at 8:29 PM, reybr said:

After the actual image it adds &pop=and a base64 encoded string containing the waypoints for the cache. 

If you want to get rid of this, after line 1274 which says

uri += b64encode(JSON.stringify(cache_coords));

add a new line which says

uri = "";

I think the intended purpose of this bit of code is to pass the WP information to the larger map but it is affecting other links as well.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, JimJinks said:

I think the intended purpose of this bit of code is to pass the WP information to the larger map but it is affecting other links as well.

I had almost forgotten that it used to work that way.

Thanks for the workaround. Works great :)

18 minutes ago, Flying-Kiwi said:

I've lost the blue line again on the cache page small map between original and corrected coordinates. Have tried various browsers and gme versions but no luck.  Is this a common problem or just me? 

I rarely use that map, so can't say for sure, but I don't think GME is active for that map and hasn't been for a couple of years.
I don't see the caches placed at their corrected co-ords on that map, so this probably is a Groundspeak problem not GME.
It could have been like this for ages  for all I know.

Applied the fix last year and it worked fine. Noticed recently that the blue line was missing again so updated everything and reapplied the fix, to no avail. 

image.thumb.png.b6d4209b8d3f1f2136b0130b75070c6d.png

The GME works fine on the big "browse" map, it's just the cache page tile map which is acting up. Not a disaster worthy of sleepless nights but annoying not to know what the problem is.  On my map I don't see specificaly that Leaflet is being used like on   2Abendsegler's  example, is that a clue?

I’m following the recent posts to this thread with huge interest. Like Flying Kiwi, my mini map lost its GME compatibility some months ago and it’s a huge pain as I use that little map all the time. 

In addition, I always found the blue line with secondary icon (and green tick) immensely helpful when plotting adjusted cache locations and nowadays it doesn’t appear on either the mini map or the larger map. If anyone can help me restore the missing blue line/green tick combo on either or both maps, it would make such a difference and I’d be very grateful. Equally, I’d like to get the mini map back to its previous format where I can select ordnance survey, etc. too.

Will those having problems please specify type of browser (Chrome/Firefox/etc) and script manager (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey)  being used.

Also provide a sample URL (copied from the address bar) of a cache details page where it's not working.

Edited by JimJinks
47 minutes ago, JimJinks said:

Will those having problems please specify type of browser (Chrome/Firefox/etc) and script manager (Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey)  being used.

Also provide a sample URL (copied from the address bar) of a cache details page where it's not working.

Have tried with Chrome (Tampermonkey), Firefox (Greasemonkey), Edge (Tampermonkey), none will work with mini map.

Does not work on any cache page I have looked at, here is 1 example. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC9ND6Y

image.png.74a50fb5e3d7995fb93bf246ce3c9bb1.png

image.png.bb2be6695ce6b5d5c9a6217c185dd545.png

11 hours ago, JimJinks said:

This is what I get for that cache. It works fine on my machine. (same on both chrome/TM & firefox/GM)

map.jpg

I see your mini-map is using Leaflet, as is 2Abendsegler's. My map does not specify Leaflet in the right bottom corner.  I can't find anywhere on the site where I can change this for the mini-map. What am I missing??

The "Leaflet" in the lower right corner is available, for example, if "Openstreetmap" is set as the default map by GME. The maps intended by GME can be selected using the white button with hover effect in the upper right corner. If you move the mouse over this button with hover effect, the intended maps are displayed. The button with hover effect is missing on @Flying-Kiwi image. The intended maps for GME can be set in the Browse Map via the GME button "Configure Geocaching Map Enhancements".

It seems that the small map is not changed by GME. However, GME is active on the site, which can be recognized by the "Drag & Drop" border of the mystery icon next to the cache name. Without GME there is no border here.

You could disable all add ons and all scripts except GME to make sure no conflicts with other scripts are responsible for the problem.

You could also look at the output in the console. GME outputs information there and errors can be identified there. To call up the console, you can press the following keys at the same time: Ctrl, Shift and K. You may then have to select the "Console" tab at the top left. And maybe just mark "Error", "Log" and "Information" on the right (no "Warnings"). So something like this:

Unbenannt.JPG.8fd6c74fbdb187e53b6526e96b1d0237.JPG

A screenshot of the content of the console at this point in time might be helpful.

What we can already see. GME seems to be waiting for the page to load. There are probably more similar posts below.

The messages in Dutch are from the browser language and appear to only affect CSS. In the second line please only mark Fouten, Logboeken and Info. Then we have the interesting messages. Can you please post a screenshot again with all these interesting messages?

Regular, it should look something like this.

Unbenannt.JPG.66aa81d7eb1d81c46fb2bb833de2580a.JPG

The latest official version is 0.8.2, I believe. This is my version. There I have incorporated the corrections from JimJinks (here in the forum) and from Vylda (openuserjs.org). It is clear that there will be a wild growth of versions if corrections are no longer maintained at a central point.

thebruce0 had reported a problem in openuserjs.org in January 2020 that the minimap was not loading fast enough. The messages in your console indicate that exactly this problem should be fixed. In my version, such coding does not seem to exist. However.

If you want, you can try installing a copy of the GME using this link. This is my own source. Be aware that this too is just wild growth. A copy of GME is actually created in your script manager. You must deactivate your previous GME script in your script manager so that GME does not run twice. If this doesn't work, you can simply delete the script again.

3 hours ago, 2Abendsegler said:

The latest official version is 0.8.2, I believe. This is my version. There I have incorporated the corrections from JimJinks (here in the forum) and from Vylda (openuserjs.org). It is clear that there will be a wild growth of versions if corrections are no longer maintained at a central point.

thebruce0 had reported a problem in openuserjs.org in January 2020 that the minimap was not loading fast enough. The messages in your console indicate that exactly this problem should be fixed. In my version, such coding does not seem to exist. However.

If you want, you can try installing a copy of the GME using this link. This is my own source. Be aware that this too is just wild growth. A copy of GME is actually created in your script manager. You must deactivate your previous GME script in your script manager so that GME does not run twice. If this doesn't work, you can simply delete the script again.

Yes!  Your link worked perfectly in Firefox. I once again see a blue line. It didn't help in chrome which is curious but I can live with that. Your point about wild growth is very valid. Thanks for the help.

image.png.3a99963e2065deb04051608cbbb44688.png

On 11/30/2022 at 1:50 PM, JimJinks said:

Hello there

I am unable to get your (JimJinks) patch to work on my laptop running Tampermonkey 4.18.1 on Google Chrome 107.0.5304.123 on Windows 10. I am seeing the word 'Leaflet' at the  bottom of my mini map. I have also tried to add 2Abendsegler's patch which has given me some additional functionality on the larger map (the buttons at the bottom left of the map now show pictures on them, as opposed to before when I simply had to remember what each button did) but that hasn't improved the mini map. I have tried disabling all other Tampermonkey scripts.

Here is a sample URL of a page with the non-working mini map

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8BEHV_exercise-in-geekdom-no-18?guid=753d71b3-6925-4dee-8429-06bff18f3c89

Chrome launches add-ons earlier than Firefox. This can lead to that elements are not loaded when the add-ons start. That probably leads to the problems with the minimap. However, if only "Leaflet" is displayed, GME should have edited the minimap. What exactly isn't working on the minimap? Do you have a screen shot?

On 12/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, 2Abendsegler said:

What exactly isn't working on the minimap? Do you have a screen shot?

The screen shot I have attached is one of my own archived puzzles on which I HAVE adjusted the co-ords. Have used this one so as not to give the game away on other COs' puzzles.This is using the browser screen combo noted above on a laptop where the larger map DOES show the GME map options - but not the blue line or green tick.

The selection of various maps (including Ordnance Survey) which should appear in the top right hand corner does not appear at all.

The map which is selected is some weird version of an open source map which has yellow footpaths which I'm not used to, or familiar with and is not the same as the larger map. 

The icon at the original location does not appear.

The blue line from original location to adjusted location does not appear.

The green tick showing me which is the adjusted location does not appear.

Mini map GME not working.JPG

I made some improvements to the script:
This should fix all known issues.

The icon pallet is displayed with all relevant icons on all relevant maps.
(Browse map, trackable map and maps of the hide process.)
 icon pallet

The map layer icon and list are displayed on all relevant maps.
(Browse map, minimap in listings, trackable map and maps of the hide process.)

map layer icon

map layer list

The blue line based on the changed coordinates is displayed on the minimap in listings.
blue line on minimap

The config link in the user menu is displayed on all relevant geocaching pages.
(Browse map, listing, trackable map page, hide pages with a map.)
config link

The cache list and label button pallet is displayed in the sidebar of the browse map.
cache list and label button pallet

The transfer of all waypoints from browse map links based on listings has been reactivated. In the browse map, such links lead to the display of all waypoints from the listing.
waypoints in browse map

The Drag & Drop transfer of all waypoints from cache type icon in listings to a browse map has been reactivated. In the browse map, such Drops lead to the display of all waypoints from the listing.

Compatibility improvements to allow use with scripts "GC little helper II" and "GCTour".

Installation:

With the link below, you can install the described and improved GME script. A copy of GME is actually created in your script manager.

You have to deactivate your previous GME script in your script manager so that GME does not run twice, which doesn't work. This is also necessary because both scripts use the same memory area with your settings. You should do it before you install the improved GME script version. If you don't know how to deactivate or delete a script, then you should not install the improved GME script.

If you want to switch back to your previous GME script later, you can do this via the script manager, deactivate the improved GME script and activate the previous GME script.

Link to install the improved GME script.

Problems:

You can report problems with the improved GME script here. Please provide the version number. This then shows which script is involved.

@mellers, @Flying-Kiwi and others:
I also tried to solve the problems with the minimap in listings for some chrome installations. Since I could not reproduce the problem and only suspected the cause, a solution is not certain. Please test it and let me know.

I intend to fix problems with the script in the future.

Edited by 2Abendsegler
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 1/11/2023 at 8:33 PM, 2Abendsegler said:

@mellers
I also tried to solve the problems with the minimap in listings for some chrome installations. Since I could not reproduce the problem and only suspected the cause, a solution is not certain. Please test it and let me know.

I asked my tame SYSADMIN to install the new script and sadly I saw no change. An hour or so later, GME stopped working entirely and he had to remove it and all scripts.I now have  no GME facility at all. He says this may be a problem with WINDOWS (although GME is the only thing which doesn't work at all now) and the only thing he can suggest is to  rebuild my laptop completely, now. I will let you know what happens when he does this and I start again from scratch.

Too bad the problem with the minimap hasn't been fixed.

Did you disable the previous GME installation?
Which script manager are you using?
Which Windows version are you using?

You can deactivate the improved script in the script manager, then it will no longer run. And you can activate your previous script, then it runs again as before. In my opinion, more would not have been necessary in the event of a problem.

The installation of a script takes place under a script manager. If problems arise due to the installation of a script, then the problems are in the script manager. If necessary, the script manager would have to be reinstalled with all the scripts. However, it is very unlikely that such a problem will exist. And the culprit would then not be the script, but the script manager.

It is almost impossible for problems in the script manager to affect the browser despite reinstalling the script manager. This is especially true for effects on the operating system.

A new installation of the operating system or the browser is not necessary because of the installation of a script.

Greetings from Germany
Frank

For the record I installed 0.8.2.2As.4 a few days ago and worked perfectly, and just installed 0.8.2.2As.5 and it's working fine too.
The minimap started working for me at some point, I think it was before I installed the newer versions but may have been as a result of a clear cookies and cache which I did.

From my point of view, running Firefox on Linux, the script is working perfectly.

• Upvote 1

@mellers
I saw that the answers to two of my questions are already in one of your earlier posts. Windows 10 and Google Chrome are not problematic. And Tampermonkey is the best choice for stable processing in my opinion.

The only question that remains is whether the previous GME script has been deactivated.

I just sat down with my "sysadmin" and we tried to determine a scenario where at least one of the GME runs at first and then at some point it doesn't anymore. Only one scenario seems conceivable to us at the moment, although that also seems quite improbable.

If both scripts are running at the same time, the local storage, where GME saves your settings, might be destroyed if both scripts try to save at the same time. As I already described in my post from 11.01, both scripts use the same local storage area. This is one of the reasons why only one script should run. If the local storage is destroyed, it is conceivable that both scripts try to read the storage and abort in this process.

In this scenario, however, there must have been at least one error message from the improved GME script that indicated that GME was already running.

If you think this scenario is possible, you can check a destroyed local storage relatively easily. Provided Windows 10, Google Chrome and Tampermonkey are still unchanged and there are no more scripts in Tampermonkey as you described. Select the improved GME script link and install the improved GME script again. Open the browse map page and check if the GME icon palette is displayed. If not, it could be the scenario described.

If you now press the keys Ctrl, Shift and C at the same time, a screen opens. From there, select the "Console" tab (with me "Konsole"). Here you can delete the local storage area for GME. It is a locale storage area of your browser. Different messages can appear above. Enter the following in the console one after the other:

delete localStorage.GME_parameters
delete localStorage.GME_custom

For the first delete it looks like this.
Unbenannt1.JPG.c66532ffc8f6cdff5ba765dc92ff987d.JPG
After press "Enter" there should be "true". After doing the same for the second delete it should look like this.
Unbenannt2.JPG.38f1da7618929affcb70859f007f096d.JPG

Please be aware that all your GME settings will be gone with this. If you have established your own maps, it may be difficult to enter these settings again.

If it was a destroyed local storage, then the GME icon palette should be displayed after a refresh of the browse map page.

Greetings
Frank

PS: If you don't understand my bad English, please ask.

Edited by 2Abendsegler

@2Abendsegler

Thank you so much for your kind attempts to help and the comprehensive set of instruction, which we had no difficulty in understanding.

Unfortunately, while we were able to carry out every step as you described on the two Chromium-based browsers installed on my PC (Chrome and Edge), GME is still not working for me.

We:
- checked that there were no 'old' scripts still installed
- checked that there were no additional script managers still installed
- deleted the local storage in the consoles on both Chrome and Edge using your instructions and received the 'true' confirmation message each time

and yet when I refreshed the browse map there was still no GME icon palette and, as before, no indication at all that any extension was installed, even after closing and restarting each browser.

image.jpeg.e8f1c43895c15a4c61c88b23be881841.jpeg

local storage deletion confirmation

image.thumb.jpeg.8b4f60afed9e57128cfa948c358ac1fa.jpeg

only one script installed in TamperMonkey

image.thumb.jpeg.28f1e1f5b01125e110108dcc05064764.jpeg

still no GME icons or functionality

If it helps at all, my machine is running
- Windows 10 Home version 22H2 (19045.2486)
- Google Chrome 109.0.5414.75
- Microsoft Edge 109.0.1518.55

I think my best course of action is to get my friend to re-install windows on my laptop from scratch as and when he has the time to do it.

When you opened the browse map or a listing after installing the improved GME script yesterday, were there one or more pop-ups with messages? Do you still remember the content of these messages?

You could try the following:

• Please check if Tampermonkey is also activated in the browser. If you click on the icon in your browser, you can see that.
  • Please shut down the laptop and restart it with the power button. And then repeat your test with browse map.
  • Please delete the improved GME script from Tampermonkey, on the right side of the line there is a delete button. The installation is 23 hours old and apparently it's the installation that caused the problems. Reinstall it from this link (it is the same as above). And then repeat your test with browse map.

If none of that works, you could still try to restore the old state.

• Please delete the improved GME script, on the right side of the line there is a delete button.
  • There are deleted scripts in Tampermonkey, I assume there are all scripts that have been deleted since the problems. Please select the tab in Tampermonkey with the trash can and you will see them.
  • You could now restore all relevant scripts from there, including the previous GME script.
  • Please note that there may also be ancient things that you no longer want.
  • Then delete the improved GME script there, it could also be there several times.
  • And then test again whether the old state works again, on the browse map and elsewhere.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:01 PM, 2Abendsegler said:

When you opened the browse map or a listing after installing the improved GME script yesterday, were there one or more pop-ups with messages? Do you still remember the content of these messages?

You could try the following:

• Please check if Tampermonkey is also activated in the browser. If you click on the icon in your browser, you can see that.
  • Please shut down the laptop and restart it with the power button. And then repeat your test with browse map.
  • Please delete the improved GME script from Tampermonkey, on the right side of the line there is a delete button. The installation is 23 hours old and apparently it's the installation that caused the problems. Reinstall it from this link (it is the same as above). And then repeat your test with browse map.

If none of that works, you could still try to restore the old state.

• Please delete the improved GME script, on the right side of the line there is a delete button.
  • There are deleted scripts in Tampermonkey, I assume there are all scripts that have been deleted since the problems. Please select the tab in Tampermonkey with the trash can and you will see them.
  • You could now restore all relevant scripts from there, including the previous GME script.
  • Please note that there may also be ancient things that you no longer want.
  • Then delete the improved GME script there, it could also be there several times.
  • And then test again whether the old state works again, on the browse map and elsewhere.

@2Abendsegler

I tired all of the above with no success. My friend subsequently deleted the installation of Chrome, Tampermonkey, Greasy Fork and all ad blockers and other scripts then re-installed Chrome and I was able to get an old version of GME (with some functions missing) to work for about 10 minutes, which then stopped working completely after that time. Bizarre.

Over the last 3 days, my friend has completely wiped my laptop and reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. With a brand-new clean installation and nothing else on it (no scripts or ad blockers), he installed the newest version of GME as the first and only 'extra', which has given me some limited functions of it on Edge. He's forbidden me to use Chrome now as he doesn't like its tracking across the internet.

I do now get the blue line and green tick on the mini map

I still don't get the blue line and tick (nor any waypoints) on the larger map.

I'm approximately back to where I started albeit that I now have some functions on the mini map working which weren't before. It doesn't appear to provide everything you describe but I'm still grateful for your help and your continued interest in the script to help maintain it. 

3 hours ago, mellers said:

I was able to get an old version of GME (with some functions missing) to work for about 10 minutes, which then stopped working completely after that time. Bizarre.

This is really bizarre. But with the new installation you seem well positioned for the near future.

3 hours ago, mellers said:

I still don't get the blue line and tick (nor any waypoints) on the larger map.

I think you have used the wrong link.

Please try this:

Unbenannt.thumb.JPG.a5db9ca0f549c05ec63b69382e91c4a7.JPG