FTF rules

paulg92

dear people,

what are the accurate rules for a FTF log??

greetings,

paulg92

I don't think the dear people visit these forums. I've seen dog people and cat people here though...

Might want to ask them.

edited to add the quote. Mostly to prove to a certain cat person I can.

Edited by Bloger

dear people,

greetings,

paulg92

There aren't any, FTF isn't official. Many variations exist, and many forum arguments happen over what really constitutes FTF.

The base idea is simple. If you find it first, and sign the log, you can claim FTF. Although some will even argue about the signing the log portion.

There are no FTF rules. FTF is a figment of your imagination. :)

Really, FTF is something created by geocachers, not geocaching.com, therefore there are no "rules" (or guidelines, either).

It is a side-game that is not endorsed or sanctioned by geocaching.com.

Have you ever seen any (official) stats regarding it? NO? Well, that is why.

Simply put, an FTF is just the first person to sign a virgin log, nothing more, nothing less.

There aren't any rules, per se. In some areas a few norms have developed. It would be pretty exhausting to try to outline every aspect of the FTF side game - the post would surely put people to sleep - but has something specific come up that you're not sure about?

I wouldn't be able to tell you definitively what the 'rule' is, since there really aren't any, but I could try to tell you what most people do, most of the time.

Really, FTF is something created by geocachers, not geocaching.com, therefore there are no "rules" (or guidelines, either).

It is a side-game that is not endorsed or sanctioned by geocaching.com.

Simply put, an FTF is just the first person to sign a virgin log, nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed!

...its still fun though!

Edited by danno68

I think ultimately the CO has the final decision, in the context of the cache listing itself. Otherwise, FTF having no official rules or stats due to the nature of online logs vs first hand on-site verification, means it's entirely a personal thing, up to the person who wants to claim it. *shrug* Were you first to spot the cache? First to touch it? First to sign it? First to solve it? Too many questions to determine a 'true' ftf.

For personal practice:

I tag my finds as ftf only if I'm the first either to spot the container (a general etiquette for posting a cache as found when out with a group as well) or if I'm caching with the person who finds it and we're both searching.

If I meet up with someone who's already searching and they find it first, I won't consider that a ftf. But if I head out with a friend for the ftf, and either of us finds it, I consider it a shared ftf (though it's up to them whether they consider it shared or not a ftf, if I find it first).

FTF is so subjective, I think it's good that there's no definitive 'rule' for it on the site. Do what fits you best =)

(comparing your self-defined ftf stats against someone else's though is where it can get finnicky if someone gets competitive :P )

But yes - the race for FTF is fun. Just let it remain that - fun :)

Edited by thebruce0

My personal rule is: The first group of cachers collectively signing the blank log is FTF - all of them. It doesn't matter if the CO has a different concept of FTF or if other cachers disagree, this is my rule and I'll stick to it :P

dear people,

greetings,

paulg92

There are no rules. All is fair in claiming a FTF.

Actually, FTF is not a game. It simply is a designation of the first person to find a new cache. Some cache owners recognize who was the first person to find their cache, others don't. Some cache owners leave a special prize for the first to find their cache, others don't. Some people keep track of the caches where they were FTF, others don't. Some people make it a competition; they try to be FTF and beat out others who are trying to be FTF. Some people just happen to get a FTF because the were the first to find the cache, they weren't trying to be FTF.

Sometimes, cache owners will give coordinates for an unpublished cache to some friends. These people might find the cache before it was published. They are the FTF on the cache. But sometimes, those who want to make it a competition think this is unfair. Some people will count the first to find a cache after it is published as the FTF (particularly if they are competitive about getting FTF).

(context of listing) - that is, if the CO decides to announce FTF on the listing, it's entirely up to the CO.

The cachers mentioned or not can still deal with the 'stat', or not, however they wish :)

Not that that's a rule of course, just common sense =)

don't let it get you down, bro

ftf is a fun side game, but it's just a fun side game :omnomnom:

Sometimes, cache owners will give coordinates for an unpublished cache to some friends. These people might find the cache before it was published. They are the FTF on the cache. But sometimes, those who want to make it a competition think this is unfair. Some people will count the first to find a cache after it is published as the FTF (particularly if they are competitive about getting FTF).

I, and some others that I regularly cache with will allow people to log a cache as a "beta tester" prior to cache publication, that way they don't have to go back to the spot to log the cache once published if they were with me when I placed it or I asked them to check the location for me.

It only seems fair to allow the "official" FTF (whatever that is, to the person that is first to find the cache without prior knowledge of wherer the cache is placed after it has been published for all to find. I owuld never claim FTF on a cache that I had prior knowledge of it's location and would not care for it much if someone esle claimed FTF with the same prior knowledge, although there would not be much I could do about it if they did.

Not sure if that makes sense but it's what I do...

Oh boy.

No rules. FTF is first to find

Sounds like a rule to me :P

Define "find". Define "first". Define "rule".

There is nothing official.

There is no rule.

FTF is what any one person wants it to be in the context for which they are using it (whether the CO on their listing or a player in their profile).

Be competitive if you want, but you'll probably just cause a lot of grief with people who treat FTF differently than you. Not worth it... just have fun.

If you're the first person to find the cache then you are FTF. There are no rules.

and sign the physical log.

SS

If you found it you found it. It's a fact. It's not something one decides or votes on. It just is.

Whether or not a CO will allow or delete an online find can hinge on whether or not you signed the log. But that's another topic altogether.

dear people,

greetings,

paulg92

I don't think the dear people visit these forums. I've seen dog people and cat people here though...

Might want to ask them.

Talking about "deer" people maybe? That would be me! Love deer jerky & summer sausage!

Edited by hoosier guy

-snip-

The rudeness here no longer surprises me like it used to. Pathetic.

I didn't find the post you quoted very rude at all. Yours, I did.

My point has been proven once again.

dear people,

greetings,

paulg92

A FTF is an interesting phenomena that seems to have evolved over time. Initially, I don't think anyone considered the first person to find a cache to be "special" or worthy of a prize, etc. But, I've noticed that newly published caches are very popular and garner a great deal of activity by many geocachers hoping to be the FTF. However, once the FTF logs his/her "feat", the activity level declines. Some CO's offer a prize and have clearly recognized that the FTF, with or without rules, is here to stay.

-snip-

I didn't find the post you quoted very rude at all. Yours, I did.

My point has been proven once again.

So in ohter words, it's rude to call somebody rude when they say you're rude... :blink:

Edited by FobesMan

DanOCan's Personal FTF Rules

- If I am the first person to find a cache and sign the logbook I claim a FTF.

- If I am with a group of people and I am the first to see the cache I will claim a FTF. If the others in the group also want to claim a FTF that's fine with me.

- If I am with a group of people and someone else spots the cache I do not consider it to be a FTF for me.

- If the cache owner has allowed someone to beta test the cache I do not consider it a FTF.

- If I am present when someone else hides a cache I will refuse to sign the log until I return on a subsequent visit. Then and only then will I even claim a Find. If the cache has since been published and I meet my above criteria for a FTF then I will claim it as a FTF.

- I reserve the right to create exceptions or decide on anything not covered by the above rules.

FTF is different to each person. It's an entirely made up number.

Personally, who cares? FTF isn't always what it's cracked up to be. Sometimes, you're just the first to find out the coords are 69 miles off, or the place is off limits, or on a railroad track....

Sure, it's nice, and I did get a warm glow getting 2 in one day, out of state, but I like to see that it was found, and what the comments are. Too many short logs like TFTC, or Found It, and I can almost tell it won't be "worthy" of looking for. I love "worthy" caches. Worth going after. You can tell by my start date and only 1080 logged finds (I am behind in logging) that I'm not in it for the numbers. My best test for a "worthy" cache is the number of photos in the gallery on the cache page. I don't go by favorites, or number of finds on it. And I long ago gave up caring about getting there first. I let everyone else do the initial cache recon, and let me know how nice it was. :D

But if I were to have to confirm and award a FTF prize (which are not a requirement) on one of my own hides, it would be the earliest dated log in the physical logbook. Not the first one on the first page, and I am not going to have a lab test the ink to find out if someone fibbed, but it would be the earliest dated log in the book.

Edited for atrocious typing.

Edited by Planet

-snip-

Have you got a better reply to the OP's question? If so, that would be much more useful than simply berating somebody who did answer.

dear people,

greetings,

paulg92

I guess you didn't realize what a can-o-worms that question would open, did you?

Briansnat probably gave you the simplest, most accurate answer. The website does not officially recognize the FTF race portion of the game. The local "rules" are completely dependent upon the cachers and in some cases, the cache owners. Some people love it, some hate it, and others don't really pay it any attention at all. If you do chose to get involved in it, you may meet a lot of your fellow cachers in the field, but you also may run into situations that end up causing grief. Be prepared for that part, although I hope it never happens to you.

Personally, I'm one of those that really doesn't care. I have been the first to find some caches, and those are necessarily no more or less memorable than any other cache that I've found.

I have my own standards, and others have theirs. Doesn't matter to me what other people think or what the cache owner thinks. I have a bookmark list of my FTFs and I add to it according to my own whim.

That's true. There are many that would see the subject of this thread, and simply say, "Yes, it does."

However, doesn't a forum regular usually let us know what an FTF and two quarters will get you at the local vending maching?

The vending machine at my school takes 6 quarters for a can of A&W rootbeer, and those are my favorite.

I think we should all work together to create a huuuuuuge PDF guide outlining every single aspect of FTFs so that it can be publicly distributed.

dear people,

If you have a few hounds[people who rush out on notify] in your area. rules won't be an issue because the same few people will be getting all the FTFs and if you don't have a cachemobile[car, truck] don't even bother.

Groundspeak seems to also be giving notifies to smartphones before normal email addies so its all about the haves vs. the havenots.

Groundspeak seems to also be giving notifies to smartphones before normal email addies so its all about the haves vs. the havenots.

Huh? I don't think so. An email address is an email address. Most people with phones have notifies sent to their phone's sms/mms email address so it comes out as an instant message. People with a "normal" email address may have their client set up to pull mail in only ever 5 or 10 minutes. But the emails all go out at the same time.

Huh? I don't think so. An email address is an email address. Most people with phones have notifies sent to their phone's sms/mms email address so it comes out as an instant message. People with a "normal" email address may have their client set up to pull mail in only ever 5 or 10 minutes. But the emails all go out at the same time.

Ssshhhhhhhh. I like being a have.

If you're the first person to find the cache then you are FTF. There are no rules.

SS

If you found it you found it. It's a fact. It's not something one decides or votes on. It just is.

So much for no rules and no opinions :lol:

I agree with signing the log. If you don't sign the log (or rather, if you don't look at it), how do you know that you were first? And if you don't sign it, how would the next cacher know that they were not first? Signing the log is essential for the FTF game, which is also why I find FTFs on earthcaches and the likes kinda silly.

-snip-

Have you got a better reply to the OP's question? If so, that would be much more useful than simply berating somebody who did answer.

Yep. "There are no FTF rules." would have been sufficient.

-snip-

Then why didn't you post that instead?

-snip-

:rolleyes:

SS

So much for no rules and no opinions :lol:

I agree with signing the log. If you don't sign the log (or rather, if you don't look at it), how do you know that you were first? And if you don't sign it, how would the next cacher know that they were not first? Signing the log is essential for the FTF game, which is also why I find FTFs on earthcaches and the likes kinda silly.

If I find something first, I found it first. If you found it first but didn't sign the log and then I found it, I may think I am FTF but you are still FTF regardless. I may get "credit" for FTF, but it doesn't change the fact that you were FTF.

-snip-

:rolleyes:

There is no rudeness in this thread. The rudeness is a figment of your imagination.