Rank these in order of importance

Not sure if I can rate properly numerically so I'll group them instead..

MOST IMPORTANT

==============

The challenge of getting to the cache

The challenge of the final find

Discovering new places

Statistics and numbers

SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT

==================

Meeting other cachers

LEAST IMPORTANT

===============

Travelbugs and trackables

Swag

Discovering new places

The challenge of getting there

Meeting other cachers out and about

One of the best benefits for us/me has been that being into exploring the great outdoors long before getting into geocaching one of the things I do is design a new exporation via topo maps and garmin topo software, now I can somewhat verify the possibility of doing such routes by seeing geocaches along the route. Usually if there are geocaches along the route it is a good chance the offroad route is passable physically and legally.

You forgot one!!!

Spending Quality time with Family!!

Discovering new places

Travel Bugs & Trackables

Meeting other cachers

Statistics & numbers

The challenge of getting to GZ (and sometimes can be frustrating) pending where you are...etc.

We don't do anything with swag. TNLN

1. Discovering new places

2. The challenge of the final find

3. The challenge of getting to the cache

4. Statistics and numbers

5. Meeting other cachers

6. Swag

7. Travelbugs and trackables

You know, it's interesting how immediate my answer was--didn't have to think about this one bit. There's a huge gap in between every single one.

Discovering new places

Swag

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

1,2 and 3 to me can be summed up with "Exploring and finding"

I'm pretty much with StarBrand on this, except I'd make a change:

Discovering new places

The enjoyment of getting to the cache

The enjoyment of the final find

Swag

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

I'm not really into challenges. I filter out D/T over 3.5. I want to find the cache, I want to enjoy the experience.

I also like pawing through swag even if I don't take anything. I like to leave and take handcrafted sig items or gc related swag.

Edited by Lone R

Well, I guess approximately in this order:

1.Finding new places

2.Challenge of finding the cache.

3.Challenge of getting to the cache (excluding rock climbing and scuba-diving!)

4.Meeting other cachers (love events)

5. Travel bugs, although this may move down the list with 6 going missing in 6 months...

6.Statistics and numbers

7.Swag (my kids like the swag, but I've only found 3 things ever, that I wanted to trade for) Usually, it's junk.

You didn't list doing the write-ups. I really enjoy reading and writing the logs. I don't write TFTC, nor do I like reading TFTC on my caches. A big part of caching (to me) is sharing your experience with others.

Edited by FloridaFour

It depends on what I'm interested in doing on any given day. Geocaching's flexibility is one of the things I really like about it.

If I'm in the mood for socializing, then I can go searching with another geocacher. If I want some alone time, then I can find a good hike in the mountains. If I want a challenging find, then I can work on a tough puzzle or look for a 4-star difficulty cache.

Discovering new places

The fun of getting to the cache (a challenge isn't necessarily fun and fun isn't necessarily a challenge)

The fun of the final find

Meeting other cachers

Swag

Statistics and numbers

Edited by GOF and Bacall

statistics and numbers may not be the end of all things, but I like them too. I like making an effort to get a good mix of different types of cache type hides, so I see nothing wrong in that. I would put swag and trackables at the bottom. Trackables have not been fun in my area thanks to one individual who keeps them in bulk and for like 13 months at a time.

Often times, if you make an effort to solve puzzles with higher terrains or do challenge caches, or do wherigos and earth caches...you will end up discovering new places at the same time, so its a win win.

Edited by lamoracke

My list from Most to Least:

Discovering new places

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

Swag

I consider Discovering New Places as more important than all the others combined.

I love the statistics and how they relate to Challenges (calender, Fizzy, etc) and enjoy finding lots of caches. But I like finding lots of caches I enjoy, not simply finding lots of caches, period. For example, I avoid GRIM PTs.

Challenge of getting to a cache ranks real low on my list because in SE Florida that usually translates to a "bushwack through thick palmettos". I don't think that's much fun, especially since getting there via machette is considered bad form. If I lived farther north and it simply mean going off trail I would rank it much higher.

My list changes completely depending on if I am caching with my friends, or if I am caching alone.

With friends:

The fun of getting to the cache

Discovering new places

Swag

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

Alone:

Discovering new places

The fun of getting to the cache

Statistics and numbers

Meeting other cachers

Swag

I'm pretty much with StarBrand on this, except I'd make a one change:

I'd make the same change. The use of "challenging" as a qualifier for getting to and finding the cache implies that the greater the challenge the more enjoyable it is. Instead of "The enjoyment of getting to the cache" I might write "The experience of getting to the cache".

I would also separate "statistics" and "numbers". I don't really care about the raw numbers but do enjoy some of the statistics (for example, coloring in states and countries on the map).

My ranking might go something like this...

Discovering new places

The experience of getting to the cache

Statistics

Meeting other cachers (this is low only because there are relatively few geocachers in the area

numbers

I'm surprised "FTF" hasn't been mentioned yet....or souvenirs

Discovering new places

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

Swag

Typically the journey is more interesting than the destination, almost all of our stories revolve around arriving at a cache.

I really feel that 3 & 4 are tied, though. We have really had a great time meeting other local cachers, and I just went on my first trip with other cachers the other day. It was rad.

My #1 wasn't on your list. :)

Being a cache owner & hosting events

Discovering new places and helping others discover some of my favorite places

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

Swag

Discovering new places

Meeting other cachers

Swag

Statistics and numbers can't place this because numbers would be at the bottom. I don't cache to increase my find count. It means nothing to me. However I do enjoy statistics.

Discovering new places

Swag

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

1,2 and 3 to me can be summed up with "Exploring and finding"

I'm pretty much with StarBrand on this, except I'd make a change:

Discovering new places

Swag

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

I'm not really into challenges. I filter out D/T over 3.5. I want to find the cache, I want to enjoy the experience.

I also like pawing through swag even if I don't take anything. I like to leave and take handcrafted sig items or gc related swag.

I concur with this. Challenge does not equate to enjoyment for me. Some challenging ones are fun and some not so much. But enjoying the process is important to me.

I would just swap trackables and swag around. I enjoy trackables just slightly more than swag. But I love to paw through swag too.

Discovering new places

Meeting other cachers

Statistics and numbers

Swag

That's my order. It's about finding new places and pushing my limits.

I don't get any satisfaction from the final find. If you've shown me a great place I just want to find the cache, not go through some needle-in-a-haystack search or have to pick a lock.

As for swag? As long as you have a logbook and (if I'm lucky!) a pencil that's all I need to see in the cache.

1) Getting my whole family involved in a game they absolutely love, & are admittedly obsessed with. There's a place in it for everyone & we all like different aspects of it better than others. The rest is how it's ranked for me.

2)Discovering new places

3)The challenge of the final find

4)Meeting other cachers

5)Travelbugs and trackables

6)The challenge of getting to the cache (it's low on the list for a reason that I don't care to get into)

7)Statistics and numbers::actually this doesn't really matter to us at all in terms of finds..we just enjoy finding them, but we really want to put some good hides out there.

Swag :: didn't rank. Sorry, Swag, but I just don't care for you.

Although I will leave swag in caches that are low, & my stepson would rank this much higher on his list! ;)

Edited to add: if it's actually cool signature swag it gets a higher rank. But that seems to be rare..

Edited by RhinoInAToga

Discovering new places and sharing with others! (We were recently on vacation and took the hosts of the B&B we stayed at caching in their town. It was wonderful showing them something they didn't know about in their town.)

Meeting other cachers, but most especially caching with friends.

The challenge of the final find (I love puzzle caches)

Statistics and numbers (working on a streak, 65 days and counting!)

Swag (I always leave something, because I wouldn't want to disappoint kiddo's)

1. The challenge of getting to the cache

1. Discovering new places

2. Meeting other cachers (Haven't met many yet but I hope to meet more)

2. The challenge of the final find

2. Statistics and numbers (I am a geek and love the stats function)

3. Swag (My kids would rank this higher though)

7. Travelbugs and trackables (Not to interesting, yet!)

Thanks for making me think about this in a way I hadn't before.

1.)The challenge of the final find (To me this is what it's about. It is the game for me.)

2.)The challenge of getting to the cache (Navigation more so than the terrain.)

3.)Statistics and numbers (I'll admit it. I love the stats.)

4.)Discovering new places (I thought this was going to be higher. But I realized that even if I already knew that rest stop was there, I'm still gonna make the special trip just to get the cache. At this point, I'm pretty sure I know where all the cool spots are in my home town, but I'm still going get all most of the caches that pop up)

5.)Travelbugs and trackables (More than the last two)

6.)Swag (Rarely, but once in a while.)

7.)Meeting other cachers (99% of the time, I prefer not to meet other cachers, in person. I don't attend events for the same reason.)