I have been given notice!

ATMouse

I don't know why these things seem to happen to me. Maybe having grown up as a dreamy child with a tendency to read about fantastical creatures and ancient stories has left me open to wonderfully out-of-the-ordinary experiences.

As many of you here know, I have been a volunteer for the Allegany State Park Geobash for several years, and this year as well. I was working at the ASP Bash store and heard a sort of scrabbling noise, for all the world like claws on the hardwood floor. No one was in the store but me, or so I thought. Still, I looked around and spotted what looked like a small dog in the shadows under a table. I blinked as the "dog" stretched out a set of beautiful wings and walked out into the light. He glistened and gleamed every shade of fiery red, from flame to glowing ember. He was beautiful.

"Hello, Ddraig Goch *", I managed to say, for clearly this was a Welsh Red Dragon. I was flabbergasted, to say the least. He looked at me solemnly and spoke in a gravely bass voice. "Good day, Menyw **". There was an awkward pause on my side at least, for how do you make small talk with a dragon?

"I'm sure you are curious why I am here," he rumbled. "I've been sent to assist you with your quests."

Quests?!?

"I'm not sure I understand," I said.

"You search for things, yes?" he asked. (Goodness, dragons are polite.)

"Well," I temporized, thinking furiously, " yes, I geocache, I suppose that is a quest."

"Dragons have many special powers and talents. You humans would be wise to tap into our powers in your searches. I've been watching this clan gathering..."

"Event cache," I corrected helpfully.

He gave me a stern look. A stern look from a Red Dragon would quell anyone - and believe you me, I need a fair amount of quelling for it to take.

"It seems nearly the same - I will tell you that dragons enjoy puzzles and treasure much the same as you humans. In fact, a dragon family helped create The Dragon Spinner decoder geocoin and my family, the Welsh Reds, thought we could do as well." He preened a bit. "We Welsh Dragons are rather above the common herd."

He made a brisk "hrumpft" sound and reached up to place an object on the table between us. I knew, I knew, I KNEW what it was before my hand reached for it - a geocoin! Weighty and deeply detailed with mystical knot patterns, a 3-D dragon on one side and an iconic red enamel dragon on the other, and notches for ROT-13 decoding on the spinning disc, it was a magnificent thing.

"What do you want of me?" I squeaked, my throat tight. "Dragons need proper announcing," he told me slowly, as if I were a not-too-bright-child. "This one you may keep but you need to let others know: The Welsh Red Dragons are coming." As he spoke, the Dragon seemed to grow and yet to become less substantial at the same time until he filled the room with glowing red that faded into the afternoon light coming through the windows.

I have the geocoin... here in front of me, even as type. Believe it or not, but I have the proof: The Welsh Red Dragons are coming!

P1020641a.jpg

IMG_1686a.jpg

*- Welsh for "Red Dragon"

** - Welsh for "woman"

...edited for two stupid verb tenses...

Edited by ATMouse

I really have enjoyed reading this story and congratulations on being the first to meet this Dragon and get the first geocoin. It is absolutely stunning. What a remarkable experience you encountered. This will be one you will never forget I'm sure. Dragon's have power so more power to you ATMouse.

That's a very nice introduction story. And the coin looks great. Are these dragons visiting in other countries too? I'd like to get my hands on a nice coin like that. Even if I have to pay for it (well, I'm Dutch you know, they like to have things for free :lol: )

What a beautifully detailed coin! All the goodness of interlace (and dragon) are there. And it's a spinner, so cool! I think my favorite thing about it is its all-metal front. It's really well done.

Kudos on an awesome lead-in, too. Great story! I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the dogs I see from now on. ; )

Fantastic story regaled about how you came to be in possession of such a beautiful geocoin. Congratulations.

I take it that it is a coin that will be sold, or is it a mystery geocoin?

This coin will be for sale. I can't imagine a dragon letting go of a hoard that easily! :lol:

I'll tell you plainly: when my hand reached for the geocoin, there was this twitch on the dragon's face that raised the hairs on my arms. :unsure:

I keep looking at the geocoin, at the detail, the crispness of the knotwork...I wish I had been the artist for this one. I'm a lucky admirer, I'm afraid.

Edited by ATMouse

Fantastic story regaled about how you came to be in possession of such a beautiful geocoin. Congratulations.

I take it that it is a coin that will be sold, or is it a mystery geocoin?

This coin will be for sale. I can't imagine a dragon letting go of a hoard that easily! :lol:

I'll tell you plainly: when my hand reached for the geocoin, there was this twitch on the dragon's face that raised the hairs on my arms. :unsure:

I keep looking at the geocoin, at the detail, the crispness of the knotwork...I wish I had been the artist for this one. I'm a lucky admirer, I'm afraid.

Very mysterious! :ph34r:

I don't know if I would have been as brave as you were if I were to be in that same situation...but I do have to say that my first instinct upon reading the forum heading was to scroll down and omit the reading altogether. I am glad to say that I didn't scroll down as your story was an entirely enthralling read. Now when I did finally get to the end and spied the coin I was breathless! What a gorgeous piece of metal. I hope I have the opportunity to purchase one of these..with what I don't know ( we just bought a house!) but I'll find a way...

These will be available at the Welsh MEGA on the Oakcoins stand.

So they're just a production coin from Geoswag?

TMA

Sounds like it. Someone was too keen to spoil the magic ATMouse was weaving. :(

Oh well.

I was gobsnobbered to read The Brat Pack's post, 'cuz it sounded like the geocoin will be an event coin, which is not what I understood.

So I did some sneaky checking..and it's true, the dragons will be making sure their beloved homeland will have geocoins to sell. But true to ANY dragon, sensible, hard-headed folk that they are, hoards need to be maintained and there will be a general sale, not just at the Welsh Mega. (Sigh...wish I could go...)

As to "just" a production coin, TMA, we've done a bunch of trading over the years and I'll tell you this is a terrific geocoin and I am humbled that I was chosen to introduce it to the forums. Any geocoin that goes on sale is a production coin, after all.

I gotta say I asked if this was a mystery coin (ya can't tell the WHOLE story of meeting a dragon, after all!) and the dragon made a rude sound. :blink:

Dragon are practical folk.

It is a good looking coin...

but

I just want to say this - Don't over-romanticise red dragons. <_<

They may be real cute when they turn up unexpectedly wanting to promote their wares but those of us who live with them daily have learnt to treat them with some caution and a degree of scepticism.

When you've had a flock of half a dozen of them descend onto your birdtable in the yard and scoff everything within 3 minutes and, in passing, melt the metal nut holder in their excitement...

When you've seen the neighbour's german shepherd grabbed and lifted skyward, never to be seen again...

When you've seen the local cricket pitch dried to a crisp because red dragons decided to roost there overnight...

When the local farmer's automated Dragon Scarer keeps you awake at night as he tries to protect his leek crops...

Yeah... Well, just sayin'...

They may be good for the Wales Tourist Board but they're getting just a bit too numerous in some areas.

MrsB