whats the term for a geocacher that doesn't log anything online.

OK so heres the deal this really bothers me, I'm new to geocaching and find it a really fun sport, but I'm very much bothered by the fact that many people don't log there finds online, as an example i stopped at GC1ZWRC the other day, and did a quick sign the log and off i went, then when i got home i went online to log it there, as it turns out the guy before me on the site had left a coin, i didn't see a coin, so i went back thinking a was loosing my mind,no coin but noticed maybe 6 people had logged the book between me and the guy that logged the coin but none mentioned taking the coin.

that what bothers me, so now I'm thinking most likely people looking online will think i took the coin and mistrust me, this bothers me also.

so whats the fix for this, should i always avoid caches noted as having coins or bugs, or should just make a note i didn't see any coin?

also if someone can get online to download the cache data cant they almost as quickly log there finds.

maybe people that don't sign up for premium accounts shouldn't be able to pinpoint caches in google maps and see the location of the cache, and download it to there gps if they have one.

i ran across one cacher the other day that didn't have a gps, but had a whole notebook of printed cache pages, this bothered me also, i was polite to him, and we talked about our finds, but he wouldn't tell me his screen name, and i suspect he was a total freeloader.

sorry about the rant, any suggestions on a good term for the unlogging geocacher can reply to this thread.

thanks

Lansharque

I believe, with time, you will be educated as to what geocaching is all about. It is all about different things to different people.

For the coin thing. Note that you did not see the coin.

For the cacher who didn't give his name, perhaps he's a geothief. Who knows for sure.

As far as not logging online. A real geocacher who doesn't log anything online is.... a geocacher.

The website logging was added AFTER geocaching was started. Many people don't log online. I find it odd also but I do not judge them for it.

Probably can't stop "freeloaders", they have been here since before recorded history. :D

About lost 'coins or TBs, it happens. We only hope that people read up on how to move/log/track them, etc. Too, some people have no honor and pirate all things beautiful -- that isn't new, either.

There is a chance that the people caching before you have not had an opportunity yet to log online. Somebody traveling from NY, Fla, or UK perhaps hasn't yet gotten to a terminal to do so. Not all people "rush" to log online, but rather wait until they have a bunch to do (beats me as to why).

Yes, some never log online. There isn't nor ever was a requirement to do such.

There are also people that never use a GPSr. Some are "old school" and prefer the challenge of using only compass and maps -- an almost lost art in today's electronic wizardry.

Why another legit geocacher would not share their username is a quandary. You may be correct in your suspicions, but then, you may also be wrong. :D

First and foremost, you can't control what other people think so don't try. It won't work. Either way, I doubt someone would mistrust you in this situation. If someone took the coin to steal it, they may not log anything at all.

It's a bummer when people don't log things as promptly as we'd like, but it's just part of it. People get busy and stuff it's not worth worrying about. I've never found the cache inventory to be very accurate. If I were you, I'd just log my find and make a note saying that there was no coin in it when you were there.

As far as using Google Maps to find caches, I see nothing wrong with that. I want my caches to be found. If someone finds my cache via google maps instead of a GPS that is more logs for me so I'm happy. If someone wants to go outside and search every nook and cranny in the state and happen upon my cache by pure luck, I'm cool with that too and would appreciate it if they'd log thier find in the logbook or online.

Interesting that the guy wouldn't tell you his screename. You wouldn't happen to be a cacher in Rome, NY would you?

Edited by simpjkee

Finding the cache and signing the log is one thing I have no problem with (although I do appreciate the log entries for my own caches). My issue is the reverse: those that log online but never signed the log.

Yes, note in your log that there were no coins. The CO can verify on his next maintenance visit and then mark them missing (assuming enough time has passed to allow late loggers time).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty
its kinda odd to me that someone would take the time to download the caches to there device, and not take the time to log them to the site the next time they went there.

There are lot of odder people in the world than doing that. Each to his own. No angst necessary for someone else's behavior that causes noone any harm.

maybe people that don't sign up for premium accounts shouldn't be able to pinpoint caches in google maps and see the location of the cache, and download it to there gps if they have one.

i ran across one cacher the other day that didn't have a gps, but had a whole notebook of printed cache pages, this bothered me also, i was polite to him, and we talked about our finds, but he wouldn't tell me his screen name, and i suspect he was a total freeloader.

Wait, so you think only people with money should be allowed to geocache? I for one am glad that Groundspeak has said basic geocaching will always be free. And what does paying for a premium membership have to do with logging caches online?

I am one of those that do not log finds. I enjoy looking for them, but no interest in logging them.

Me too.

I pretty much lost interest in logging cache finds online somewhere around 2000 caches. I kept logging off and on until somewhere over 2500, then pretty much quit logging cache finds online altogether.

I do log Travelers... TBs and geocoins; that's a different story.

Trying to interpret your rant I think that's what you meant to convey; that people should log traveler movements online, and with that I agree.

However, there may be several days (for many reasons) before a cacher who moved a bug can log it online.

The bottom line, however, is that if you want folks to do things your way, if you have control issues and want to regulate the behavior of others, you probably won't enjoy this game very much!

Don't pet the sweaty things. :D

Whether people log or not if of no consequence to me. The only hitch I see is once you log you can adjust your PQ's so they don't show up anymore which is nice. Although you could also just put them on your ignore list after finding.

At my age and not being sure what I did yesterday that is helpful.

Whether people log or not if of no consequence to me.

If most people stopped logging online, I would stop hiding caches. The online logs are motivational. But I'm not worried, logging online far outnumbers and makes up for the few that don't log.

Question for those that don't log online. Do you bother signing the physical log. If so, why? What's it matter?

We introduced my sister to geocaching a couple of weeks ago. She took a GC to France with her on holiday, she also picked up a traveller. She is now stuck in France with no way of logging anything! I'm sure she will when she gets back. Sometimes circumstances just don't allow you to log as soon as you'd like.

By the way, I'm a "freeloader" as I don't have premium membership. I will get it when I have the cash, in the mean time me and my family are loving the sport.

Denise

Whether people log or not if of no consequence to me.

Exactly so!

If most people stopped logging online, I would stop hiding caches. The online logs are motivational. But I'm not worried, logging online far outnumbers and makes up for the few that don't log.

I hide caches for other people to enjoy. Sounds like you only hide caches for your own enjoyment.

Question for those that don't log online. Do you bother signing the physical log. If so, why? What's it matter?

Yes, I sign the cache log, that's how you prove that you've been there.

The cache owners (the ones who read their cache logs, not all do) and the cachers who were with me (I rarely cache alone) know where I've been, that's enough for me.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

if you don't log online, don't you end up going back to the same caches twice by mistake? I think I would - but then I'm a scatterbrain :D

I have! Several time as I approached a cache it has struck me that I've been there before, but it's pretty rare.

I rarely cache alone, and most of the time the people with me will not have found the cache, so it's fun to know where it is and watch them hunt it.

I log all my finds online. The cache owner spent time, effort and money to hide the cache. The very least I can do is to let him know I found it (or not as the case may be). I see it as a matter of simple courtesy.

To answer the OP, I've heard the term "Ghost Cachers" used for those who don't long online.

Edited by briansnat

I estimate that about 1/3 of the in-cache logs on several of my real local caches are from folks that never logged online. I've talked to a few of them and they have thier own reasons. Anything from a paranoia about sharing anything online to just not caring enough to log online. I don't like it but - Not a big deal.

I hide caches for other people to enjoy. Sounds like you only hide caches for your own enjoyment.

What briansnat said:

"I log all my finds online. The cache owner spent time, effort and money to hide the cache. The very least I can do is to let him know I found it (or not as the case may be). I see it as a matter of simple courtesy."

What if there's a problem with the cache? Do you log a DNF or a NM to alert the owner to the problem? Do you contact the CO privately? As briansnat said...it's a matter of simple courtesy.

Why do you have to prove anything? You're no longer counting finds, so what's it matter that you sign the physical log? It might only serve to irk the CO to see that you signed the cache log but did not log online.

Not that I get overly concerned with people logging their find online or not, but if no one logged their finds online, how would you know they were enjoying it?

Not that I get overly concerned with people logging their find online or not, but if no one logged their finds online, how would you know they were enjoying it?

Good question. I hide caches for others to enjoy. I can tell that they are enjoying them thanks to the online logs. If people didn't log them online I'd have no idea if the effort I expended was worthwhile and I probably would have not continued to hide caches.

My guess is the TAR will say, check the physical logbook. But nowadays most people sign the physical logbook with the date and their trailname only (no comment). And what if the COs physical logbook is a logsheet where there's no room for comments? Or what if the logbook gets destroyed (e.g. water damage) or the whole cache goes missing - the CO may never know if the cache was enjoyed if people didn't log online. Of course, the CO could fancy himself a master at cache hides, and doesn't require any feedback because he knows that they are all gems.

Edited by Lone R

I have 3 Premium accounts.

I haven't logged anything online since last May, yet I've found about 4,000 caches since then.

I enjoy finding caches. I don't enjoy logging them.

How does any of this hurt your enjoyment of geocaching?

I cache with a young fellow that did not log his finds on line for several weeks do to computor problems. When he was able to get to my house to borrow the comp. he logged them. He likes to read what others have said about the area and the sites and also pass on what he saw.

What briansnat said:

"I log all my finds online. The cache owner spent time, effort and money to hide the cache. The very least I can do is to let him know I found it (or not as the case may be). I see it as a matter of simple courtesy."

What if there's a problem with the cache? Do you log a DNF or a NM to alert the owner to the problem? Do you contact the CO privately? As briansnat said...it's a matter of simple courtesy.

It depends. If I know that someone with me will log a NM or NA then cool, I don't need to. If I am alone or don't think my partner will log it then yes, I do.

Why do you have to prove anything? You're no longer counting finds, so what's it matter that you sign the physical log? It might only serve to irk the CO to see that you signed the cache log but did not log online.

Because signing the log is (a) how you play the game and (2) REQUIRED.

I haven't logged anything online since last May, yet I've found about 4,000 caches since then.

I call cachers who don't log online but sign the log book "Ghost Cachers" as Brian already mentioned.

I call cachers who fall behind by that many "slackers". :)

I mostly do enjoy posting online, so at some point I will log my finds from this past weekend. Probably before I get out to find more caches. But I'll never just do the cut n paste thing, or 'posted from my superdevicephonethingy' with really cool software that allows me to not think about it. But that's just me, YMMV.

Edited by wimseyguy

Recently I had to archive a cache. It was a bit too fragile for it's fairly public spot and was damaged too much to leave it out.

So I had the chance to compare the logs to the signatures. There were 57 online logs, three of which I couldn't match to physical signatures, and two of those were by the same cacher with one of them logged after it was archived. As near as I can tell there were 59 different signatures on the log sheet. I consider that pretty close and was happy there were not more smilies that hadn't signed the log sheet. The one that bothered me most was the FTF, who found it before it was published, took the FTF coin (not mine, I felt pretty bad about that) and despite the fact that he claimed to be a cacher never logged it online and doesn't seem to exist. So there are some real world numbers for what it's worth. I would rather everybody logged online too, but am satisfied with the majority that do.

Required by the guidelines of the website that you're not logging finds online too. :)

Can you see how that's kind of, I don't know what the word is... counter-intuitive?

(I don't care if you log them on line or not, but the reasoning reads kind of peculiar.)

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

Doesn't this mean that logging it online is also required?

Anyway, personally I think it's bad manners not to let the cache owner what you thought of the cache. Do you write a full log of your caching experience in the physical logbook?

Required by the guidelines of the website that you're not logging finds online too. :)

Can you see how that's kind of, I don't know what the word is... counter-intuitive?

(I don't care if you log them on line or not, but the reasoning reads kind of peculiar.)

I wasn't referring to Groundspeak's requirement, I was talking about the geocaching police here in the forum.

To understand it you have to know the history.

The weekend before GW5 in Dallas TX I and seven friends made an attempt on the 24 Hour World Record.

I made the call that when we came across a micro or very small container which would take a long time to remove, sign and replace the log that we would just sign our team name "DRR" (Dallas Record Run) with a Sharpie to the outside of the container.

We did that on approximately 1/4 of the 312 caches we found that day.

Not a single CO complained, but the forums exploded with criticism... you would think that we had raped their garden gnomes the way some folks were acting about it.

So, to try to quell controversy I did not log any of the caches that we found.

That seemed to mollify folks and the issue died down, except for some few who bring it up to this day.

After that not logging my finds was easy to do, so I pretty much quit logging all but events.

I made the call that when we came across a micro or very small container which would take a long time to remove, sign and replace the log that we would just sign our team name "DRR" (Dallas Record Run) with a Sharpie to the outside of the container.

We did that on approximately 1/4 of the 312 caches we found that day.

Holy cow. I had no idea that you were one of the garden gnome violators involved in that debacle!

No one that I have ever cached with has ever logged anything online. I always do, that is how I track my finds. I also like to share my fun experience and (if taken) photos.

I call cachers who don't log online but sign the log book "Ghost Cachers" as Brian already mentioned.

I call cachers who fall behind by that many "slackers". :)

I mostly do enjoy posting online, so at some point I will log my finds from this past weekend. Probably before I get out to find more caches. But I'll never just do the cut n paste thing, or 'posted from my superdevicephonethingy' with really cool software that allows me to not think about it. But that's just me, YMMV.

I almost always "post from my superdevicephonethingy". But I never brag about it. Lets face it, NO ONE CARES. Usualy my logs are done from GZ or as soon as I get back to my car. I know that I will not have much time when I get home, so doing it at the time is better. When I do have time, I go back and add more info to my logs.

We introduced my sister to geocaching a couple of weeks ago. She took a GC to France with her on holiday, she also picked up a traveller. She is now stuck in France with no way of logging anything! I'm sure she will when she gets back. Sometimes circumstances just don't allow you to log as soon as you'd like.

By the way, I'm a "freeloader" as I don't have premium membership. I will get it when I have the cash, in the mean time me and my family are loving the sport.

Denise

I don't believe the term "freeloader" was used in those terms. The way I understood it, at least, was to refer to those that use caches for their own recreation, but aren't willing to give back to the hider by posting an online log. I don't know of anyone that feels that a non-PM cacher is "freeloading" in any way.

Good question. I hide caches for others to enjoy. I can tell that they are enjoying them thanks to the online logs. If people didn't log them online I'd have no idea if the effort I expended was worthwhile and I probably would have not continued to hide caches.

I'm with you guys on this one.

If I found anybody "signing" any of my caches like that, I'd surely delete all the Found It's; to be clear, it's not the team name I'd object to, it's the Sharpie on the outside of the container. I'd consider that vandalism, not log signing.

If I found anybody "signing" any of my caches like that, I'd surely delete all the Found It's; to be clear, it's not the team name I'd object to, it's the Sharpie on the outside of the container. I'd consider that vandalism, not log signing.

Got any garden gnomes?

Got any garden gnomes?

So we have a confession and a crime of cache vandalism... I feel another geo-court-case coming on!

Light up your torches and sharpen those pitchforks....! :)

Got any garden gnomes?

So we have a confession and a crime of cache vandalism... I feel another geo-court-case coming on!

Seriously, TAR has already been judged and sentenced for this. There really is no reason to have another go at it.

Got any garden gnomes?

Seriously, TAR has already been judged and sentenced for this. There really is no reason to have another go at it.

Yes, but I think he should suffer for the rest of his life for this crime against the geocaching community - hopefully someone here has his address.... just so that he knows we know where he lives.... just sayin'

No violence was encouraged or intended toward Alabama Rambler in this session of online goading.

JK -- :)

That makes me curious about how you track your finds. I want to keep my online logs up to date because that means the PQs I get each week won't be cluttered with caches I've already found.

And do you log NMs online or otherwise contact the cache owner?

also if someone can get online to download the cache data cant they almost as quickly log there finds.
Logging "almost as quickly" as downloading cache data? I don't think so. I can download data for hundreds of caches in less than a minute. I spend more time logging even the most trivial find, and on more than one occasion, I've spent more than an hour logging just a handful caches.

Anyway, there are several reasons why someone might sign the physical log, but not log online. For example:

• Some started geocaching before one could log finds online, and never bothered to start logging online.
  • Some were put off by "drama" of some sort, and stopped logging online in response. What kind of "drama"? TheAlabamaRambler described the controversy surrounding the Dallas Record Run. Others have been put off by cache owners deleting logs to enforce ALRs. Others have been put off by cache owners who deleted logs that weren't "good enough" (e.g., too short, too critical of the cache location). And I think I've seen other forms of "drama" described in the forums, but I can't recall examples offhand.
  • Some are concerned about privacy, so they don't log online (even using a pseudo-anonymous nickname).
  • Some just don't bother logging online because they don't enjoy it.
  • Some actually do log online, but they just haven't gotten around to logging their recent finds online yet. At times, I've gone a week or two before logging my own vacation finds. I've met other cachers who have been months :) behind on their online logs.
  • Some have never visited Geocaching.com and don't have Geocaching.com accounts. They go geocaching with someone who does have a Geocaching.com account, and they care enough to sign the physical log, but they haven't bothered to visit the site themselves. Sometimes my non-geocaching friends and family fall into this category.

In what way would he be "a total freeloader"? It sounds like you expect Groundspeak to get a commission every time someone uses a GPSr to find a geocache.

Wait, so you think only people with money should be allowed to geocache? I for one am glad that Groundspeak has said basic geocaching will always be free. And what does paying for a premium membership have to do with logging caches online?

No sorry maybe I said that in haste, thinking back long before i signed up for my account i was looking at caches online and it interested me enough to sign up for a premium account as soon as i had a GPS.

Easy Steps to Geocaching

1. Register for a free Basic Membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

Doesn't this mean that logging it online is also required?

Anyway, personally I think it's bad manners not to let the cache owner what you thought of the cache. Do you write a full log of your caching experience in the physical logbook?

I'm not sure how you would interpret it if logging online is mandatory, but i feel its kinda a courtesy to the CO, I'm sure most COs don't physically go out and check on all there caches unless its noted online there is a problem, then reading the log is to late.

I haven't placed any caches but I'm sure there is some excitement in seeing the logs online about peoples adventures finding the cache.

I'm getting so many different opinions about weather logging online is necessary or not, that I'm kind of starting to believe its all in how an individual wants to play the game. I for one will continue to log both and possibly it will help, or give someone that moment of joy knowing there cache was found and enjoyed.

Freeloader? Um, excuse me? "One who does not contribute or pay appropriately; one who gets a free ride, etc. without paying a fair share"

Are you saying all basic members who have not place a cache themselves are bad people, because they do not (or not yet) contribute?

Almost every child under the age of 16 is a bad person because they take food, clothing, education and shelter and give nothing back?

Is every football, baseball, basketball fan who does not have a paid club membership a bad person because they enjoy the game on TV but do not pay?

Let me contribute this: I am so offended by this.

its kinda odd to me that someone would take the time to download the caches to there device, and not take the time to log them to the site the next time they went there.

Well if they could simply upload their finds then it may be a different issue but it is much simpler to download the caches than it is to log each one.

One click to download 20 vs going to every page, clicking log your visit, clicking and selecting type of log, clicking the text box and typing text and clicking submit log entry.

Heck downloading 1 cache at a time is less labor intensive than logging 1 cache at a time. Sometimes when I do a string of crap I wish I could just upload a bulk of blank found its and be done. Then you have the caches that I outright refuse to log, yep they are found by me and not logged, I track them in GSAK and that leads too...

The Premium Member that sets up PQ's and only uses PQ's, everything is tracked in GSAK or some other method not related to GC.com's tracking method.

Some are going to see these people as Miss Fortune others will recognize Sir Prize.