What do you Log?

Best Red

Hello there :)

I have a big pet peeve and it is Bullies in caching.

The main thing that they do is log negativity on caches which I feel should be done privately. I have brought this forward to our forum board, but not many answered and I was quite disappointed. :santa: People like to keep 'face' which is understandable, but I feel that if it isn't brought forward then it won't be stopped.

Then again....I may be wrong right? At least I hope not. :P

The logs are for posting your finds and adventure of the find per se, right? Not to post negativity towards the CO in the sense of being brash. That should be done in an email if need be right?

Ok I am done :D

I am just wondering, what are logs for really? what is your opinion?

Unfortunately, there are people out there that forget that geocaching is a game.

I haven't seen many logs that are negative, but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there.

From my perspective, you are correct in thinking that the logs are for posting your finds and adventure of the find. Even if you have a miserable time searching for the cache, it should be made light that the cache was actually found.

I share the experience of selecting, getting to, searching for and finding the cache, the weather, the condition of the cache container and its surroundings and sometimes trade information. On occasion - that can include a somewhat negative experience. Just a fact.

What I would never leave in a log is any kind of negative personal statement about the owner or any other individual.

IMHO.... online logs are a place to describe my adventure, thank the CO for the hide, and to alert the CO that the hide may need some maintenance or is in good condition (if I know the CO).

Sometimes, in my head, I question the sanity of the hider for picking that location.... and then I question MY sanity for going after it! :P I've walked 8 miles around a lake only to be faced with another 700 ft of steep hillside to climb to get to the cache and then another 5 miles to get back to the car. I was a bit beat after those 8 miles, but I'll be darned if I was going to pass up that cache after coming all that way. I've also gone up a hillside so steep that I was almost on all fours, just to go 450 ft to the hide. In both cases it was well worth it and I wrote up the log to reflect my adventure as a positive experience overall while poking fun at myself.

What do you mean, "being brash?"

If the negative comment is about the hide or the puzzle and it is something that would be useful to other seekers, then it should go in the log. Cache owners who place caches can't expect only glowing praise for everything they do, especially if the cache is lame. Logs should reflect the experience of the finder.

On the other hand, logs that belittle, taunt, or otherwise denigrate the cache hider are not appropriate. Those comments are not of use to other seekers and do not reflect the experience of finding the cache.

For me the log is about the experience. At the simplest I'll write a sentence or two about the circumstances of the find (or dnf as it may be), weather, and so on. Or I might spin a whole story out of it if time and inspiration permit. Usually my logs fall somewhere in between the two.

Minor problems and annoyances, especially those that could affect people seeking the cache, I'll mention. This is usually of the 'there is a bee nest near cache' variety.

Major problems I handle on a case by case basis, I may simply mention it in the log, or send a nice email to owner, or if needed post a NM (or in rare cases SBA). This could be anything from a broken/damaged/muggled cache to an encounter with an land owner or law enforcement official concerned with trespassing.

In general I keep things on the nice side, or at the very least neutral. If I find a cache owner who consistently hides caches that make me want to say something that isn't nice, I simply stop looking for caches by that owner.

I think it's OK to warn future cache hunters if there are problems, it's all down to how you put it across in your log.

There's a difference between logging

"The brambles are out in force all around the cache location at the moment. Shorts and short-sleeved tops not recommended!"

and

"Got thoroughly bloodied pulling this from the hidey hole. Why would anyone decided to hide a cache in dense brambles? Madness!"

I would use the first version myself but others... well... :P

MrsB

When someone goes through the trouble of hiding a cache for my enjoyment, the least I can do is write about my experience in the log. Sometimes those experience may not be good ones, like the time my kids and I got ran off by a pack of coyotes, but I still write about my experience. However, those logs are never anything negative about the actual cache unless it is a simple "the log is wet". If I have a problem with the way a cache is hidden, I will email the CO.

Edited by Hildy Boys

It's a mixed bag for me.

Generally, I put good comments and talk about my adventure finding the cache. I never say anything nasty or ill-willed towards the CO but there are times where I'll say something that could be construed as negative.

Found it, albeit I was pretty ... annoyed by how far back it was. Had a heck of a time trying to find a way to get my short legs and arms to straddle enough to grab it. Should have had rubber boots. Would have made it easier. TFTC

I wrote that log about a magnetic keyholder cache that the previous finder had put WAY too far back in the tunnel making it almost impossible to get to. I was VERY irritated but it had nothing to do with the cache owner.

I have seen some caches that were in REALLY bad locations and have been very tempted to put a note about it in my log but I have refrained.

The logs are for posting your finds and adventure of the find per se, right? Not to post negativity towards the CO in the sense of being brash. That should be done in an email if need be right? ...

Logs are for noting that you found the cache by using some amount of text to fill the space needed to have that smilie stick. What you say in them really doesn't have a set form or rule that goes to it. I might write about the buritto I had for lunch and what it's doing to my cache companions in the confined space of my car instead of anything about the cache.

If they do write about the cache as long as it's true, it's all good even if it's rude crude and tastless in how it's presented. If it's opinion, well those are like a certain body part. Everone has one and you have to let it go, or it will prey on the fun you are getting out of this wonderful activity..

The way I let it go is to usually give them a what for and why not. It never solves the problem but it's part of the letting go process. I can say "Ok I feel better now" and get on with life. Maybe they carry that with them, but they should let that go too.

There you go, no help at all on your problem, but remember one thing. Let that anger go otherwise it's going to own you and destroy your fun. As a bonus that helps you live longer. Yes you will get more rude crude and obnoxious logs to read by living longer but since they won't bug you anymore you will better enjoy that longer life.

I describe how the search went, techniques we tried, difficulties encountered and anything else that may be interesting or important. If a search didn't go too well that will be noted, but so far we haven't encountered any real problems while geocaching. I will never include person attacks at the cache owner such as "what kind of an idiot would hide a cache here?" etc. The Blorenges put it in a good way.

There's a difference between logging

"The brambles are out in force all around the cache location at the moment. Shorts and short-sleeved tops not recommended!"

and

"Got thoroughly bloodied pulling this from the hidey hole. Why would anyone decided to hide a cache in dense brambles? Madness!"

Hello there :)

The main thing that they do is log negativity on caches which I feel should be done privately. I have brought this forward to our forum board, but not many answered and I was quite disappointed. :santa: People like to keep 'face' which is understandable, but I feel that if it isn't brought forward then it won't be stopped.

Then again....I may be wrong right? At least I hope not. :P

The logs are for posting your finds and adventure of the find per se, right? Not to post negativity towards the CO in the sense of being brash. That should be done in an email if need be right?

Ok I am done :D

I am just wondering, what are logs for really? what is your opinion?

Do you have any GCxxxx numbers that might show this issue in action? When you say "our forum board" to what do you refer? Thanks.

Ah, yes, the log.

I love to log. And I love to take pictures. We here at Flying Pig Farm are, well, Hams, to say the least. We take a picture to upload even if we don't find the cache - and we all make disappointed faces - and we take corny pics if we do find it- and we're new, still, and we don't find NEARLY as many as we should!

I have never personally seen a mean or derogatory log entry here in Clay County, Florida. However, I have been taken aside at the two Geocaching Events we attended and told that the CO's of our scant finds love our logs and pictures - they said we always look like we're having fun.

My minor little pet peeve is that sometimes, our pictures are the only ones on the log!

And, we're recently started picking up and toting around Travel Bugs and we had a total BLAST taking pics of the ones that had specific 'missions' - then, we went to log the TB's adventures and found that we're the only ones who logged any photos at all!

I can only imagine how disappointed the TB owner must be to find the TB traveled a thousand miles - but no photos! Unless you send a TB with Psychic Owner Uplink, as a TB owner you're pretty much at the mercy of those Geocachers who pick up your TB!

I think the logs are a record of your adventure. If your experience was not a pleasant one, there is no reason that shouldn't be conveyed in a log.

As a cache owner I'd want to know if someone had a negative opinion of my cache and I think other cachers should also be able to see that opinion and make their own judgment.

So I think the logs are for both positive and negative experiences. Of course you can relate a negative experience without being mean. There is a right and wrong way to do it. It seems however that there are a lot of thin skinned cache owners out there who can't accept any critical logs, no matter how gently worded.

This really isn't a getting started issue so moving to the general forum

Edited by briansnat

Our feeling is that the person placed a cache for us to find, so no reason to be critical. Of course, we may not FEEL that way during the hunt, but our choice remains to share the experience, not the negativity.

If there is some major issue beyond the usual disgruntlement with tricky or poorly placed caches, like a problem with container or something, we might email the cacher privately, but still would not complain. We save our whining for the face to face experience, LOL!

Some people are negative people in general and have a hard time writing a "nice" log.

I know someone who can find something negative to say about any cache. I've heard a few comments about how this cacher would have done it, etc.

Me? I like to leave a log that indicates I am happy the cacher has placed something out in the world to amuse me. On a couple of occasions, however, I have posted a decidedly negative online log. Sometimes there is just enough to push me to the darkside. When I do this type of log I feel it is a service to the next person who might go look for the cache.

Only a few times in 600+ finds have I taken a CO to task over a cache.

One being on private property.

Another for being wedged between tree trunks, two of which were Poison Oak of the tree-like variety

And one for being in an extremely precarious location, which put cachers and property owners at risk of personal injury and consequences.

There are types of caches I loathe, but if I go after one I'm intelligent enough to assign any fault with myself for being so bloody minded to go after it. whistle.gif

Edited by DragonsWest

For me the log is about the experience. At the simplest I'll write a sentence or two about the circumstances of the find (or dnf as it may be), weather, and so on. Or I might spin a whole story out of it if time and inspiration permit. Usually my logs fall somewhere in between the two.

Minor problems and annoyances, especially those that could affect people seeking the cache, I'll mention. This is usually of the 'there is a bee nest near cache' variety.

Major problems I handle on a case by case basis, I may simply mention it in the log, or send a nice email to owner, or if needed post a NM (or in rare cases SBA). This could be anything from a broken/damaged/muggled cache to an encounter with an land owner or law enforcement official concerned with trespassing.

In general I keep things on the nice side, or at the very least neutral. If I find a cache owner who consistently hides caches that make me want to say something that isn't nice, I simply stop looking for caches by that owner.

RobDJr nailed it for me. Although every couple of years I have been know to go off on a rant about micros!

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Sometimes I get to logging my opinions about how I didn't like yet another nasty bush hide that is over 25 feet off the coords.....but I usually end up going back and deleting the bad parts. That way the owner gets an email with my opinion, and the log on the cache page is nice and neutral. Bullying? maybe. But I like when cachers tell me my coords are off, and I like to be told if they hated or loved the cache. A neutral comment can still have an opinion.... such as 'Just another micro in a bus stop'..... or 'I can't remember this one'.

There are times when a negative log is justified. Sure, it would be possible to privately email every negative comment but the logs serve 2 functions :- information for the owner and information for those that might be deciding if it's a cache they want to fine.

In addition a negative log can be used for education (to point out inappropriate hide locations, poor choices of container etc) for both hiders and seekers. If all negative comments had to be emailed privately then many comments would never be made and cache owners may not learn that there are things that can be done to improve their future hides.

Unlike some people I dont regard all caches as gifts that I should be grateful for. (I wouldn't be grateful if someone wrapped their garbage and gave it to me as a Christmas present either). A little education goes a long way. Anyone that's stayed with this game for a while has learned a lot over time.

I'm not sure that I've seen anything in logs that I'd consider bullying. If that was the case the cache owner would probably be within their rights to delete the log or report the person to Groundspeak.

Edited by sdarken

When the CO has a history of dropping the container, marking the coordinates, and posting the cache with no intention of doing maintenance, I will post a "normal" log on his first few caches, but after a while I start sounding harsh. When I mention in my log that the object the cache was hidden in is no longer there, or that I found only the lid of the container, and the CO doesn't even disable the cache (probably because he has other caches disabled for 6 months, and has no time/intention for maintenance), next time I DNF one of his caches in the same circumstances I'm more likely to submit a bitter log, and to follow up with a SBA after the NM log.

Sometimes I might sound harsh even if my intentions are good. When a cache is on the top of a slippery hill, with a dense forest, 35%-45% inclination with no trails and no view, and my log says "True 4* terrain, there's no trail and the hill is slippery; took me one hour for the last 500 meters (with 400m elevation change); unfortunately there's no view from the top because of the forest" - that's the pure truth.

Some people view any criticism an a personal attack against them, and instead of learning from their mistakes they belittle the finders. On the other hand, there are cachers who see their own shortcomings as the fault of the hider, and post nasty logs. If I come across such people I ignore them.

I just had an experience yesterday that irritated the heck out of me. I went to look for a micro and when I got there I found out that it was hidden in the median of a major intersection in Milwaukee. Now I know there is no way the CO got permission to hide it there, and there is no way someone would find this cache without drawing attention to themselves.

I didn't even attempt to look for it becuase there had to be 20 cars sitting around me waiting for the traffic light. So I just moved on to the next one. All that being said, I didn't log anything nasty about the hide. Some people may have been okay with it, it just wasn't for me.

I think the logs are a record of your adventure. If your experience was not a pleasant one, there is no reason that shouldn't be conveyed in a log.

As a cache owner I'd want to know if someone had a negative opinion of my cache and I think other cachers should also be able to see that opinion and make their own judgment.

So I think the logs are for both positive and negative experiences. Of course you can relate a negative experience without being mean. There is a right and wrong way to do it. It seems however that there are a lot of thin skinned cache owners out there who can't accept any critical logs, no matter how gently worded.

Of course, there are also plenty of people who make themselves feel better by being rude to others or make them feel so cool by coming up with new ways to be rude (such as DPM).

I see this from two different perspectives.. which may or may not be valid.

1. I always try to say something nice, neutral, or nothing at all. Although, there are some wildly stupid and trashy caches where I just can't help myself.. think ziplock bag hanging in a pine tree or OBVIOUS private property violations (outside of the implicit/explicit permission argument at a Walmart).

2. On the flip side, in my mind, over sensitivity happens at epidemic levels and needs to stop ASAP. Use of the term BRASH is relative, and what you consider brash might not be brash to someone else.. you could be interpreting a log with a completely different tone than was intended. And correlating that to bullying is simply laughable. Sorry.

I also agree with Mrs. B. I do point out things to look out for in the log (e.g. barbed wire, bees nest)... I also will make comments/suggestions which can be seen as constructive criticism (e.g. in this remote forest a larger container could be considered). I always try to be polite, never aggressive, and to emphasize the positives.

Of course, there are also plenty of people who make themselves feel better by being rude to others or make them feel so cool by coming up with new ways to be rude (such as DPM).

Wow. digging up 6 year old posts. Someone obviously has a lot of time on his hands. Well that or he has been obsessiong over a 6 year old post for quite some time (think it's your 3rd mention of this in the past month or so). BTW it's not a term I've ever used in a log other than as a joke between friends.

Sometimes a log can be taken the wrong way by the CO. For instance I was out the other day and found a cache in a guardrail at the end of a dead end road. It's a 1.0/1.5.

In the description "This is a standard drive-up micro that will help break up an evening of multis or caches with tougher terrain!"

My log "Quick find while we were in the area today. Hardly worth while letting geodog out of the vehicle."

There is a dogs allowed attribute for the cache. There is a field beyond the guardrail but it was very icy,

I received an email from the CO that said too bad I was disappointed by the cache and suggested another for me to try. I replied and assured him that it was what I was expecting to find but I had let the dog out of the vehicle for all of 3 minutes, so she didn't get to run around.

The main thing that they do is log negativity on caches which I feel should be done privately.

It's hard to form an opinion without seeing an example of a log, but I also don't feel it's right to call out others in a public forum so I'll just give my opinion overall.

If I'm reading logs for caches I'm planning on doing, I don't mind reading a log that tells of negative things at the cache. As a finder, they help me decide if I want to do a cache or skip it.

That said, there's a right way and a wrong way to write a negative log. Rather than saying, "Your coordinates stunk. Obviously, you don't know how to work a GPS," one could write, "My GPS had me a 65 feet away at N40...." One is a personal attack, the other is just a statement about the cacher's experience.

Or

"Are you blind? Didn't you see the hypodermic needles when you placed the cache? How stupid can someone be? You're lucky no one got hurt!" Not a good log. Instead, "Future finders, be careful. There are some hypodermic needles near the cache. Not sure if the owner is aware of them or not, but the cache is not in a safe area." That tells of the negative experience and makes it clear the cache is one you might want to skip, but it doesn't attack anyone.

Wow. digging up 6 year old posts. Someone obviously has a lot of time on his hands. Well that or he has been obsessiong over a 6 year old post for quite some time (think it's your 3rd mention of this in the past month or so). BTW it's not a term I've ever used in a log other than as a joke between friends.

What in the world are you going on about?

I wrote several negative comments in logs yesterday ... mostly dealing with my own misfortune at finding GZ buried under half a ton of snow from plowing operations that took place over a week ago and the fact that the weatherman TOTALLY missed it for yesterday's forecast. I DNFd several caches that were clearly on the ground somewhere and not worth messing with until things melt down a bit more around here.

Also noted a cache that was a good 50' from posted and could use some better coordinates -- even though the cache name gave away the correct location. 50' is beyond my "ignore it" radius.

I often comment on the condition of a cache, including something as simple as "Cache is in good shape". In just one case, I noted that there had been several prior posts of the log being wet mush, and agreed with previous posters about the construction problem that was causing it. At the same time, I replaced the mush with a clean, dry log and something that would protect it better, and offered to drop by the COs house with the old log.

I also wrote several positive comments in logs yesterday regarding the things that caches had taken me to see, the use of some quality containers and hide locations, and noted on a couple of 3.0 difficulty caches that turned into 'cache and dash' situations that it was just blind luck that allowed me to record them that way -- not the quality of the hide. Perhaps it was just some good caching karma for dealing with the doggone snow forcing DNFs on many otherwise easy ones.

Place a cache, and you'll get my impressions.

Placing a geocache is sort of like art. You have invested some emotion, time and effort into creating the cache. Once creating (placing) it, you have to stand by it and let the public have their say. Everyone is different, like the saying, "Another mans art is another mans garbage" or something to that affect.

If there is criticism for the cache, I will post it in the log but its never derogatory to the CO. If the CO takes the criticism as an attack on their judgment, I cannot make your skin thicker. There was one time where a CO sent me some negative emails regarding a post, I simply rewrote the log at "TNLNSL, TFTH".

Logs should be used to record your experience at a cache, both good and bad. I appreciate it when other cachers mention things like "too many muggles around" or "trashy area" or "homeless camp" just as much as when they heap glowing praises on a cache -- all of those things help me decide which caches to do and which caches to avoid.

I log every time I find a cache, to get the credit and sometimes i have something to say about the area, sometimes finding the cache has a good story to go with it.

Sometimes the cache needs attention i try to include those details

I log a DNF only after trying to find it an appropriate numbers of times depending on ratings and other cachers logs.

I am always respectful when I log, the COs are people too. I try to treat people as i expect to be treated.

I try to see things from their perspective and realize these are people with real lives.

thats my $0.02 cents.

I only came close to being negative twice. Each cache was listed as a traditional but turned out to be a puzzle. My log went somewhere along the lines of "lots of people like to do puzzles Im not one of them. Recommend you adjust the type so puzzle fans can enjoy your work." No rudeness, just a gentle nudge and a warning to other cachers. One was clear from the cache page that it was a puzzle. The other had a key hide at GZ that said "this is not the cache" and a 6 digit code.

I am in British Columbia and as for showing examples....well that would be like calling out someone and I don't want to do that. There are a few someones in particular, who get my goat. :)

Yes it is them attacking and bullying the CO particularily....directly speaking to them in the log....some cache owners will delete the logs.

I just thought that one of the things (#6 to be exact) of the Geocachers Creed was "Be Considerate of Others"

http://www.geocreed.info/

I understand saying something about the cache like the mud, or bees nest or needles etc., but saying how someone put it on private property and it should be archived and how could someone be so stupid to think that they could put a cache here. Straight out going for the CO in a log isn't appropriate in my books at all. I consider that bullying.

"Oh another micro? Oh I hate micros...Micros and forests...two things I hate and this is both of them... "<---that isn't considerate, that is not nice at all. That is just rude.

I understand it is just a game :)

I just wondered how you all felt, I figured there would be some that saw it as ok, and some that didn't. As they say, you are hooped if you do and hooped if you don't :)

I guess there isn't any right or wrong....BUT....if we are to follow the geocreed :) (I win hee hee)

Placing a geocache is sort of like art. You have invested some emotion, time and effort into creating the cache. Once creating (placing) it, you have to stand by it and let the public have their say. Everyone is different, like the saying, "Another mans art is another mans garbage" or something to that affect.

If there is criticism for the cache, I will post it in the log but its never derogatory to the CO. If the CO takes the criticism as an attack on their judgment, I cannot make your skin thicker. There was one time where a CO sent me some negative emails regarding a post, I simply rewrote the log at "TNLNSL, TFTH".

That's assuming that time and effort went into hiding the cache. :)

I've been known to be frank. I'll tell you what I think of the cache. (And I'm working hard to say nice things about run of the mill caches...) If I think it is great, I will tell you so. And it you hide a take-out food container under a thirty pound rock, I will take you to task for that. (The Smashed Cache.) Soggy flm canisters as well. Those have nothing to do with investing 'emotion, time or effort'.

I logged that one cache was located 'in the second ugliest place that I'd ever found a cache'. Cache owner thought that was hilarious! And wanted to know which one was worse. (Some people have a sense of humor.) (Worse was a dilapidated pier, with a homeless camp, and rats larger than some dogs.)

I had a log deleted because 'you never have anything nice to say about our caches.' (With good reason. this one was a ziplock bag hidden behind the handicapped parking sign nailed next to the entrance of a restaurant.) (Or maybe it was the result of my DNF where the coords took me to the security camera out the back door of the Kmart?) Another CO took exception to my mentioning that it was a 'boring park'. Well. It was. At least to me. And asked me not to hunt any more of his caches? No problem! I no longer hunt the caches hidden by either CO. Oh, well.

Not bullying. I'll tell you what I think. Which is why I'm quoting brodiebunch. "You have invested some emotion, time and effort into creating the cache." If you have, I will thank you. If you haven't, I'll wonder why you bothered.

...... but saying how someone put it on private property and it should be archived and how could someone be so stupid to think that they could put a cache here.

..... "Oh another micro? Oh I hate micros...Micros and forests...two things I hate and this is both of them... "

Yep. Both of those are examples are rude. Don't forget that some geocachers are kids that just don't seem to realize they are being rude or don't care. Sometimes people fool around with people they know well. That second example could be one person ribbing the other.

From the geocaching home page: "In the last 7 days, there have been 389,166 new logs written by 58,313 account holders. " I would imagine that only a tiny percentage have anything rude in them. The geocaching community is a cross-section of the community at large though (except perhaps in the forums), geocachers are pretty kind to each other.

If you think about it, geocaching only exists because the people that play are relatively kind and thoughtful :- (Hiders spend money to place caches with swag for others to enjoy. Finders don't remove or destroy caches and hopefully, trade even).

Here's an interesting example of the difference in logging style for "problem" caches. I had planned a shot at a FTF just north of Civitavecchia, Italy a few weeks back. GC1Z87N. Compare my log to the only other one that followed. The second one was subsequently edited to tone it down a bit, but the final sentence still says it all. Truth to tell, I have to agree with the 2nd log -- while the view from the top of the hill was fantastic, the actual cache site bit big time. Unfortunately, I was on the clock and without anything at all to do a proper CITO except to make a bit of a pile of the junk in hopes someone could pick it up.

Anyway, two different styles. Mine was a description of the site as found. The second added some editorial content that surely did fit:

My Log:

I thought I would be lucky and get a first to find on this one during my brief stay in Civitavecchia - but no luck. I took a taxi and approached it from the top side. Approach from the bottom is, as the CO says, rather difficult.

GZ put me where I expected to be, but after beating around in the bushes for 15 minutes, I found nothing but lots of bags of discarded poop, a grandmother's type shopping cart, a rake handle, and lots of bottles. The taxi fare from downtown Cit'a and back with a 15 minute wait for the hunt was 39.10 euros, but the taxi driver had pity on me and charged me 30 euros even. This was my most expensive DNF!

I hope the next person to try to make the find has better luck!

The log that followed:

Just like Ecanderson: after climbing up from the beach, I discovered the small path leading to the parking lot (trailhead at N 42° 10.204 E 011° 44.458, in the middle of the parking lot: NOT the large path leading down the beach!). I called up Simpleflower and our dog, but after 20 minutes of rummaging through the bushes, we gave up. At least, we've had a big chance to do some CITO - or at least the second half of it - filling two big plastic bags with all kind of garbage.

Sh***y place for a cache, in my opinion.

Edited by ecanderson

My favorite logs to write are "stream of conciousness" pieces that the location or the cache title brings to mind. Sometimes there is a particular adventure along the way. But usually things are much more mundane and occasionally there is information that I think needs to be mentioned. The cache that is 100 feet from the posted coordinates. The one behind posted no trespassing signs that did not dissuade the owner or bother the reviewer. The cache that was placed in bays or dying trees that are infected with Sudden Oak Death. All of these things are important for future finders to take into consideration.

I also appreciate it if somebody gives me information so that I can resolve unintended problems. I have disabled or moved caches as a result of a log.

Sometimes I have expressed my opinion that caches should not be hidden directly in infected areas that require a finder to risk spreading the pathogen. That is a losing battle so these days I just point put that cachers should take precautions. But in any event there is no need to make a log personal. If I have decided to look for a cache then there is no need to be rude and if I decide not to look for a cache I can explain the reasons without attacking the owner.

Edited by Erickson