My first hide isn't popular

Hi all,

I hid my first hide, a micro, and it was approved on Oct. 6th. GC1Z6MH No one has found it yet and I'm a little depressed. LOL It's called Find Some Micro Fun for Kids! because my caching partner is 11 years old and he doesn't like micro's. I put in a geocoin and some quarters for the FTF and hope that it's a kid and have asked that a small item that fits in there be left behind to make this micro more fun for the next kid.

I'm impressed that people who aren't caching with kids haven't claimed it yet, but sad that people aren't caching with kids! LOL

Any input on my cache?

1. Your cache is less than a month old.
  2. I zoomed out to the

1. 2000' scale level on the map and only get 7 caches
    2. 1 mile scale level on the map and only get 13 caches

meaning the cache density is not likely to attract people.

[*]The name "Find Some Micro Fun for Kids" is likely to have the opposite effect.

[*]Lots of people that wont filter out micros, will filter out "Other".

[*]Terrain 3 will reduce visitors.

Just give it time.

No disrespect intended here but you are probably going to have problems with your container. Film cans aren't the best choice and when you put 'em in a plastic bag the problems just compound. In the camping department at Wally World they have an orange match safe for under a buck. They work way better. All the plastic bag will do is hold in moisture.

As for people coming out to find it trust me, they will. If it isn't easy to drive up to they may not visit often but you can't stop 'em from looking.

How has the weather been the last couple of weeks in your part of the world? that can affect caching, especially when there's some walking involved. Too hot, too cold, raining?

Your 3 star terrain will stop a lot of cachers, while making the hide more interesting to a few.

Also, by not updating the placed date to the publish date, your hide wasn't "new" and didn't go out in the new cache weekly email, which means the locals may not have seen it.

Although really, I think they're all staying away because you misspelled camouflage :smile:

There's terrain three north of me, been out over a week, no find. Until yesterday, temps in the nineties here. Too darn hot for such a long sunny walk. Cool yesterday and today, I expect that cache will have a find this weekend.

Duhhh...Yeah my mistake about the GC... I had a look at the map as well and there isn't a large density... That could be good or bad... Good - serious cachers in the area will sooner or later go to it because there isn't alot... Bad - low density doesn't attract a lot of people especially the "it's all about the stats" types... Another positive - it's near an EC, which tend to draw cachers in... Be patient, someone will want the FTF status...I want one but Ohio is a little too far away..!!

Thanks, guys. Nelson Ledges has one traditional, one multi and one earth cache. I failed with the earth cache, but found the others. It has been kind of cold and rainy here, but it was beautiful today and will be through Thursday. It's a nice place to hike and you can bring a dog...just didn't know it would take this long!

I went with a film canister because my son had this slug geo coin that won't fit in anything smaller and I want this micro to have something in there to trade so if a kid finds it, he'll think micro's aren't so bad after all. But ya can't put a log and a trade item in a micro, so I put the log in a plastic bag outside of the film canister and put both in a Ziploc bag with a geocache sticker on the outside. I want this to be a fun micro for kids...are their micro containers as wide as a quarter? This match safe that was mentioned...will that fit a quarter?

Shame, shame on me for spelling camouflage wrong! Where's the spell checker! That needs to be the next new feature!

I want this to be a fun micro for kids...are their micro containers as wide as a quarter? This match safe that was mentioned...will that fit a quarter?

A typical match safe won't hold a quarter, or a TB tag, but one Pathtag will fit in the lid. I could get my cool compass sig item into a match safe, but it would never come out again. A quarter will fit in a 4-inch "beach safe" tube, with room to spare. It's tapered, and about the width of a film can, and twice as long. I've only found a couple of beach safe caches, and they were rather wet inside, but they do have an o-ring seal. You can wedge a Travel Bug dogtag into one (probably not a good idea), and that would require a very small TB traveler attached.

5139933.jpg

I have a film canister cache, hidden 2 months ago. There's a foot-long, 2-page cache log rolled up inside, so swag can still fit, and I monitor the cache to prevent a full log. It's survived one of the rainiest Septembers I've ever seen. I suspect that the lid is the main problem with these things (developing damage to the seal from wear). So, if you have an issue with water getting in, have a few extra canister lids on hand and swap one out occasionally (or the whole canister).

Edited by kunarion

Quite a few things can play into the factors of a cache being found quickly or not, as some have already mentioned in their posts. Trust me it will be found by a cacher soon enough. :lol::smile:

Hi all,

I hid my first hide, a micro, and it was approved on Oct. 6th. GC1Z6MH No one has found it yet and I'm a little depressed. LOL It's called Find Some Micro Fun for Kids! because my caching partner is 11 years old and he doesn't like micro's. I put in a geocoin and some quarters for the FTF and hope that it's a kid and have asked that a small item that fits in there be left behind to make this micro more fun for the next kid.

I'm impressed that people who aren't caching with kids haven't claimed it yet, but sad that people aren't caching with kids! LOL

Any input on my cache?

Thanks, guys. Nelson Ledges has one traditional, one multi and one earth cache. I failed with the earth cache, but found the others. It has been kind of cold and rainy here, but it was beautiful today and will be through Thursday. It's a nice place to hike and you can bring a dog...just didn't know it would take this long!

I went with a film canister because my son had this slug geo coin that won't fit in anything smaller and I want this micro to have something in there to trade so if a kid finds it, he'll think micro's aren't so bad after all. But ya can't put a log and a trade item in a micro, so I put the log in a plastic bag outside of the film canister and put both in a Ziploc bag with a geocache sticker on the outside. I want this to be a fun micro for kids...are their micro containers as wide as a quarter? This match safe that was mentioned...will that fit a quarter?

Shame, shame on me for spelling camouflage wrong! Where's the spell checker! That needs to be the next new feature!

While they're not totally waterproof, we've had very good luck using spice type containers. The plastic with screw on lid that hold a vast variety of things like chili powder, garlic salt, etc,,,. Depending on the spice, it can take some effort to get the smell out. This being said, we've never had one of those containers muggled by a critter... Anyways, just a suggestion since they are easy to come by and will hold a log, small writing utensil, and quarters as well!

Trust me it will be found by a cacher soon enough.

Exactly. Try and stay calm. If you'll take a peek at the found logs for the surrounding caches, you'll see that the latest find on any of the nearby caches was about three weeks ago. I've had caches sit for about a month before someone finally ambled out to make the find. Sure, waiting that long isn't much fun, but be sure that if you hide it, they will come...sooner or later.

You call it "Find Some Micro Fun for Kids" yet it has a 3 star terrain rating. The definition for 3 star terrain says

Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

You placed a micro targeted at kids, even though you admit that your own child doesn't care for micros. Many don't. Unlike adults they are often more about the "treasure" than the hunt. For that reason some cachers filter out micros when hunting with their children.

Also, some geocachers filter out micros children or no children, so that might reduce the potential pool of finders right off the bat. But ultimately I think the fact that it is not in a cache dense area is the reason it hasn't been found yet. The sport today is mostly about numbers and few geocachers will make a special trip if they only get one smiley for it. If they've already found the other caches in the area a single new cache is not likely to draw them back.

Edited by briansnat

Yep, you want visitors (especially kids) and you put out a micro....in the woods...

Lock&locks aen'tt the cheapest, but they'll hold a LOT of goodies for the youngsters...and adults! :D

I can't tell you how many micros in woods we simply passed on while out caching the last few weeks. We hit a few and ten just started passing the rest by. I can't figure out why, when a MAC TRUCK would be hidden easily, a micro was used. :(

While they're not totally waterproof, we've had very good luck using spice type containers. The plastic with screw on lid that hold a vast variety of things like chili powder, garlic salt, etc,,,. Depending on the spice, it can take some effort to get the smell out. This being said, we've never had one of those containers muggled by a critter... Anyways, just a suggestion since they are easy to come by and will hold a log, small writing utensil, and quarters as well!

I have one of those. scrubbed, boiled and sat a month with lid off, hid and first finder notes cache really smelled good[it was a garlic salt container]

How has the weather been the last couple of weeks in your part of the world? that can affect caching, especially when there's some walking involved. Too hot, too cold, raining?

Your 3 star terrain will stop a lot of cachers, while making the hide more interesting to a few.

Also, by not updating the placed date to the publish date, your hide wasn't "new" and didn't go out in the new cache weekly email, which means the locals may not have seen it.

Although really, I think they're all staying away because you misspelled camouflage :(

There's terrain three north of me, been out over a week, no find. Until yesterday, temps in the nineties here. Too darn hot for such a long sunny walk. Cool yesterday and today, I expect that cache will have a find this weekend.

I agree with all this. Especially misspelling Camoflauge. :D The fact about the publish date and never having a "new" icon was a good catch, I'm sure that was a factor. There's not too many caches in the park, and the few that are haven't been found in at least a month. Personally, and this is just me, I'd be extemely unlikely to drive out to a State Park to look for a film canister.

I have to say though, if this cache with it's write-up and intention was placed near me, I might have taken my micro-hating 10 yr. old out for the FTF prize by now.

I feel your pain. I've recently placed two caches in my area (less than a month ago) and only one person has found them. I thought for sure they would be more popular. One of them is a regular 1.5/3 and the other is a small 2/1.5. I figured the terrain on the one would scare some people. And they are both (easy) puzzles. Being my first hides, I was hoping for rampant chaos to find them. Live and learn I guess.

I feel your pain. I've recently placed two caches in my area (less than a month ago) and only one person has found them. I thought for sure they would be more popular. One of them is a regular 1.5/3 and the other is a small 2/1.5. I figured the terrain on the one would scare some people. And they are both (easy) puzzles. Being my first hides, I was hoping for rampant chaos to find them. Live and learn I guess.

Puzzles aren't as popular as traditionals...at least for me. I ignore any and all puzzle caches simply because I'm not out to solve puzzles but to find caches. Some people may enjoy puzzle solving, but I'm not one of them. I'd imagine this to be a big factor in your lack of finders.

Puzzles aren't as popular as traditionals...at least for me. I ignore any and all puzzle caches simply because I'm not out to solve puzzles but to find caches. Some people may enjoy puzzle solving, but I'm not one of them. I'd imagine this to be a big factor in your lack of finders.

If you want a lot of finders forget puzzle caches. Many cachers filter them out. I know I do, particularly when I'm traveling.

None of the nearby caches had finders since September so it's not too surprising this one hasn't been found (when I checked last night). The most recent find is a geocache along the highway.

And, of course, the owner's profile says he's from Amish Country. I don't know about the geographical distribution of the Amish, but I imagine there's not too many Amish geocachers around...

None of the nearby caches had finders since September so it's not too surprising this one hasn't been found (when I checked last night). The most recent find is a geocache along the highway.

And, of course, the owner's profile says he's from Amish Country. I don't know about the geographical distribution of the Amish, but I imagine there's not too many Amish geocachers around...

Yes, SHE lives in Amish Country, and I used that to define my region for any other Ohio cachers out there. The bigger Amish settlement is in Holmes County, if you're at all interested.

To another poster, as I said in my description, it's meant for older kids like my 11 year old son and this state park actually is more rocky than tree covered. The other caches hidden are at the back with dirt trails and trees, mine is in the front with big boulders. I think my hint was pretty evident, but that's prob. what most hiders say and I sometimes don't understand the hints given.

I know it'll be found eventually, it is fall and the weather isn't the best for walking on rocks. This park is very popular with families of older kids (not safe for toddlers) as I am there a lot with my own and the dog. I had been reading posts of other people's first hides and time between published and FTF's and it just got me sighing about mine.

Thanks to The White Urkel who said he'd take his 10yr old for the FTF because that's what I'm hoping for!

I know it'll be found eventually, it is fall and the weather isn't the best for walking on rocks. This park is very popular with families of older kids (not safe for toddlers) as I am there a lot with my own and the dog. I had been reading posts of other people's first hides and time between published and FTF's and it just got me sighing about mine.

If we lived in the area... we'd definitely search for it with our jr. explorer.

We're not scared of a micro in the woods. :D <----

You could guess forever though as to why nobody has found it yet.

I wouldn't waste any time trying to guess... don't worry about it.

When you least expect it - it will be found.

Your puzzles look really fun. I wish they were local.

I went with a film canister because my son had this slug geo coin that won't fit in anything smaller and I want this micro to have something in there to trade so if a kid finds it, he'll think micro's aren't so bad after all. But ya can't put a log and a trade item in a micro, so I put the log in a plastic bag outside of the film canister and put both in a Ziploc bag with a geocache sticker on the outside. I want this to be a fun micro for kids...are their micro containers as wide as a quarter?

I don't know why you're dead set on hiding a micro, and then trying to convince people that micros can be fun while at the same time admitting that a micro isn't big enough for what you want to do. Maybe you have ideas for two caches here. At any rate, what's done is done. It's hidden. It's a micro.

One micro container that will hold a quarter is a "buoy-shaped" floating keychain. They are about as big around as a film can, but have a pointy lid that pops off. Here's a photo, not guaranteed to last, at a promotional products site. You can sometimes find them at your local Wally World, in the boating section.

The other way you could make a micro more fun, other than with swag and tiny geocoins, is to make it a fun hide. A micro disguised as something, that's obviously out of place, at least for a cacher. Or making fun of yourself by listing it as a micro, but putting it in a bigger container (and I don't mean a sandwich bag).

Edited by msrubble

A film canister in a large park with a 2.5/3 rating....

Thats not my idea of fun.

Searching for it will wreak havoc on the vegetation that its near.

I have to admit that I would definitely pass on a 2.5/3. Also this does not help from the park rules.

Park rules prohibit off-trail hiking and beverage containers on hiking trails
The other cache near there specifically says he got permission for people to bushwhack to that cache.

I have to admit that I would definitely pass on a 2.5/3. Also this does not help from the park rules.

The other cache near there specifically says he got permission for people to bushwhack to that cache.

No beverage containers? I never hike without a water bottle.

Sorry, that just seemed to jump out at me.

Solve them, and just log a "remote find" on them. :D

There are two parts to this park; trees and rock. My hide is on the rock side. There is no vegetation in this area. People who know the park will know where it's at if they read my info cuz I said it wasn't far from the road. People who don't will know when they get there as it's off to the left of the entrance and not toward the back, where the trails and woods are.

I did get permission to place it, didn't need permission for bushwacking because it's rock! I didn't mention the permission in the info, but the reviewer notated it when it was published.

I went with a film canister because my son had this slug geo coin that won't fit in anything smaller and I want this micro to have something in there to trade so if a kid finds it, he'll think micro's aren't so bad after all. But ya can't put a log and a trade item in a micro, so I put the log in a plastic bag outside of the film canister and put both in a Ziploc bag with a geocache sticker on the outside. I want this to be a fun micro for kids...are their micro containers as wide as a quarter?

I don't know why you're dead set on hiding a micro, and then trying to convince people that micros can be fun while at the same time admitting that a micro isn't big enough for what you want to do. Maybe you have ideas for two caches here. At any rate, what's done is done. It's hidden. It's a micro.

One micro container that will hold a quarter is a "buoy-shaped" floating keychain. They are about as big around as a film can, but have a pointy lid that pops off. Here's a photo, not guaranteed to last, at a promotional products site. You can sometimes find them at your local Wally World, in the boating section.

The other way you could make a micro more fun, other than with swag and tiny geocoins, is to make it a fun hide. A micro disguised as something, that's obviously out of place, at least for a cacher. Or making fun of yourself by listing it as a micro, but putting it in a bigger container (and I don't mean a sandwich bag).

If you read my info page, you would understand why I'm "dead set" on hiding a micro. If you cached with older kids, you'd understand why I wanted to do this. When I say I want to find a coupel of "mama caches" to my boys, they don't want to come because they aren't fun.

I'm still new to this. I will look around for a container that's wider so I can fit more goodies in there. I put a lot of info in my cache page and the hint to help an older kid find it. I don't have two caches in mind for this. I want kids to want to find this micro because there is actually something in it. I will check on it often as it's not far from my house and replace the baggie if need be.

When we are out caching we pretty much ignore micros as a rule, but I like your idea of a micro that's fun for kids. Maybe families aren't going for it because a lot of families either have multiple children of their own caching with them or bring their kid's friends along. My kids have the most fun digging through the cache to see what others have left behind. When the cache is only big enough for one piece of swag there's not much digging through. And then there's the question of "Which kid gets the piece of swag?"

Edited by runawaybunny

Solve them, and just log a "remote find" on them. :D

Thanks runawaybunny. I want the cachers to interaction with the story. That's why TheWhiteUrkel's idea of remote logging wouldn't work (sorry TWU :D ) The cacher has to actually go there to solve the puzzle. Can't do this one from home.

Back on track.....

Weather does play a big role in caching, especially with children I would think. If it's cold and miserable out, nobody wants to be climbing around looking for a micro (unless they are a smiley addict.) I for one will probably find less than a handful once the snow starts to stick.

For whatever reason, people often don't like puzzles and will ignore them. There's nothing wrong with that because people cache for different reasons. Add in the higher terrain on the one, and they'll probably get found less than a traditional.

The Cache Cachers,

I remember my first hide, a micro in the woods (groan!). I was new to the hiding aspect of the game and it was a while before someone got around to finding it so I know how you feel. What I've learned is that hiding needs to be a selfless act. Do it because YOU want to do it and release expectations of what will become of your 'babies'. Statements like "Looking for an older child to be the FTF..." are just not realistic. I've come to enjoy the random nature of paths that my caches take.

Relax, take a deep breath and sit back and smell the roses!

The size and type of container you're using has been discussed here a lot.

A really good alternative that will fit your quarters is:

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=959

or

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=960

Nalgene is known among hikers for their great water bottles, but they also make small versions of those bottles. They have MANY different sizes.

REI carries many of these small bottles. Look in the travel section or in the section with their dinnerware.

Because these are nalgene they are guaranteed to be water-tight.

Don't bother with the off-brands sold as travel bottles in the drug store. They may last a short while, but in the long run they won't hold up outdoors. and they don't come in such a variety of sizes, especially in the wide-mouth sizes.

If you read my info page, you would understand why I'm "dead set" on hiding a micro. If you cached with older kids, you'd understand why I wanted to do this. When I say I want to find a coupel of "mama caches" to my boys, they don't want to come because they aren't fun.

With all due respect, I still think you are confused. I understand that you want to hide a micro to prove to your child and to other cachers that micros can be fun. But the container you prepared isn't big enough for something else you want to do, which is to offer a cache that's big enough for travelers and swag. You're trying to have it both ways. Some micro containers can hold swag, but it must be tiny swag. It's part of the definition of micro. If you want a cache that's big enough for trading and for small travel bugs, you need a small.

Right now you have hidden a container that is disappointing to you, and that you suspect would be disappointing for kids, because it's too small for swag or coins. You tried to get around that by putting inside something that would not be a suitable container on its own. So you've got a disappointing container inside a substandard container. Your desire to hide a fun micro is coming into conflict with your wish to offer a cache where kids can trade decent-sized swag and drop off travel bugs.

That is why I said you might have ideas for two caches here.

Micros aren't popular? One was published near me and didn't last more than 25 minutes. As I was driving away with the FTF, two more geocars were driving in.

OK, really I am just happy to have the FTF and bragging a little.

It's a tough FTF chase around these parts. Your cache wouldn't have lasted more than a day with an empty logsheet in these areas.

A fun "film can" would be something quite different than what holds 35mm film. I know of a "film can" that is actually a large container painted to look exactly like a film can. It was listed as an unknown size (I normally don't like that size), but the owner said you're looking for a film can so everyone automatically assumed a 35mm plastic container. Well, when you got there, it was a big, large container. It was really cool and fun.

With all due respect, I still think you are confused. I understand that you want to hide a micro to prove to your child and to other cachers that micros can be fun. But the container you prepared isn't big enough for something else you want to do, which is to offer a cache that's big enough for travelers and swag. You're trying to have it both ways. Some micro containers can hold swag, but it must be tiny swag. It's part of the definition of micro. If you want a cache that's big enough for trading and for small travel bugs, you need a small.

Right now you have hidden a container that is disappointing to you, and that you suspect would be disappointing for kids, because it's too small for swag or coins. You tried to get around that by putting inside something that would not be a suitable container on its own. So you've got a disappointing container inside a substandard container. Your desire to hide a fun micro is coming into conflict with your wish to offer a cache where kids can trade decent-sized swag and drop off travel bugs.

That is why I said you might have ideas for two caches here.

Right now the log is on the outside of the container because I filled it full of quarters for the FTF. One someone finds it and claims that prize, then I can put the log in there. Some travel coins like the slug that's in there and path tags will fit.

Thanks to Sol Seaker for posting those links.

I have every right to put in there what I hope will happen with my cache. I know very well that most people won't give a hoot, and that's OK with me. But there is probably a mom or dad out there that can say, Hey, JR. Let's go find this micro, there should be something in there for you. Doubt it, but possible.