MY FIRST CACHE MUGGLED!

Crab_Soul

ugh... it looked like a sprinkler head too...

now i have to make a new cache near the first spot be a hell of alot harder.. and this was a small sized cache. too...

With no DNF's how do you know it's gone?

Edit: Did I read it right that you placed your 1st cache 2 days before you had your 1st find?

Edited by WatchDog2020

now i have to make a new cache near the first spot be a hell of alot harder.. and this was a small sized cache. too...

With no DNF's how do you know it's gone?

Edit: Did I read it right that you placed your 1st cache 2 days before you had your 1st find?

heres the funny part. i looked out side and saw someone walking around with a gps. and then i looked at my spot. and i was liek s@$^@$^ its gone!! so i told him and we were both chatting about it ect.

and you are right watchdog. but it just got reviewd yesterday.

roar. this is going to be hard to find a spot big enough to hold small items.

Edited by Crab_Soul

Replace it and try again. Also, if I can be so bold. On you cache listing page take out the exact instructions on how to find it.

Looking at the area the cache is in I'm betting neighborhood kids got the FTF.

would it be safe to put it in our water meter hole?

like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/mak506/111594435/

no real kids on this street. there are a few "thugs" but i dont seem them except at night. and youd have to have a flashlight to see the cache at night.

im sure it would be bad to put it in the same spot eh..

Edited by Crab_Soul

IMHO - I'd say try the same spot again

what dose imho mean?

hmm.. im afraid. since its in sidewalk view. that the same person my walk the same rout and find it again and do the same crud..

i did have the offcial geocache note inside by the way.

In my humble opinion

What about higher up in the same tree?

IMHO - I'd say try the same spot again

what dose imho mean?

hmm.. im afraid. since its in sidewalk view. that the same person my walk the same rout and find it again and do the same crud..

i did have the offcial geocache note inside by the way.

In my humble opinion

What about higher up in the same tree?

Its about a 4 ft wide oak tree haha

You should probably temporarily disable the cache until you get a new container in place, or if you're going to put your cache somewhere else with a different hiding technique archive it and start fresh with a new cache page.

Also, as I'm sure the person you spoke with mentioned, using GoogleEarth coordinates on the cache page instead of a GPSr is a bad idea. It's not nearly accurate enough.

You should probably temporarily disable the cache until you get a new container in place, or if you're going to put your cache somewhere else with a different hiding technique archive it and start fresh with a new cache page.

Also, as I'm sure the person you spoke with mentioned, using GoogleEarth coordinates on the cache page instead of a GPSr is a bad idea. It's not nearly accurate enough.

gotcha. ill be moveing it to under the bridge near my house. dressed as a peice of electrical equipment

gotcha. ill be moveing it to under the bridge near my house. dressed as a peice of electrical equipment

You may want to consider what non-cachers may think when they find that if it has wires sticking out, or even if it doesn't.

Edited by Castle Mischief

You may want to consider what non-cachers may think when they find that if it has wires sticking out, or even if it doesn't.

im jankin someone eleses idea

2b12e29c.jpg

ill be moveing it to under the bridge near my house.

Check out the Guidelines before you make the move. Many Reviewers won't publish a cache in close proximity to a bridge.

yea i was thinking that. but i remmberd that was bad so i scrapped that idea.

i need a way to keep it in walking distance so i can check on it eh...

i might move it to behind my dads studio. but theres quite a bit of homeless...

Edited by Crab_Soul

maybe go find a few more caches so you can get a better idea of options before re-enabling your cache?

i have plenty of an idea. its just the area around me is mostly residential. and all of the parks already have caches in them.

just looking for a place to put it within walking distance so i can check on it better

maybe go find a few more caches so you can get a better idea of options before re-enabling your cache?

i have plenty of an idea. its just the area around me is mostly residential. and all of the parks already have caches in them.

just looking for a place to put it within walking distance so i can check on it better

You could always put it under the bumper of your car, it would make for an interesting hunt - a true cache and dash experience. Link the cache page to your twitter account and post where your going next...

If there is a business nearby you could get permission to hide one there. If you hide it in some kind of garden ornament it looks like part of the businesses landscape. Hope you can find something soon.

yea there are a ton of ways i could make micro caches. but at the momment i want to make a medium or small sized cache. checking on the trade items is interesting to me

My first cache was ripped apart by some large wild animal and strewn across a mountain. This sucked because A) the cache wasn't published, and 2) I had to pick everything up.

Keep trying, having caches get stolen builds character...

lets see... i had a cool mercedis hood ornimant inside.... i had a weird stone keychain.. an evil rabbit figureine... a big fake diamond.. and a giant green marble...

and i kinda liked the stone keychain...

Crab_Soul,

I saw that you said you "Looked outside" and saw it was gone so I'm assuming it was in your yard.

Get an ugly stupid lawn gnome, carve/grind the opening in the bottom and stick A cache inside.

Some punk sees you placing something that doesn't belong (like a sprinkler head in a yard without a sprinkler system or breaks the pattern of the existing system) then they are likely to check it out but a gnome statue belongs in any yard.

Crab_Soul,

I saw that you said you "Looked outside" and saw it was gone so I'm assuming it was in your yard.

Get an ugly stupid lawn gnome, carve/grind the opening in the bottom and stick A cache inside.

Some punk sees you placing something that doesn't belong (like a sprinkler head in a yard without a sprinkler system or breaks the pattern of the existing system) then they are likely to check it out but a gnome statue belongs in any yard.

theres an oak tree out past my sidewalk that has a hole at the bottom and i fit a whole paintball tube in it.

i looked out and saw the hole empty. then i saw the geocacher looking at the other trees so i ran out to get a closer look and talk to him.

the thing is. it kinda looked like it was a sprinkler or something the way it was. so i dunno.

another louisiana cacher said someone has been running around stealing caches so i dunno.

would make sence since it sat for 5 days and disapeard the day of publish.

Just like to point out that many regulars in the forums would have problems with any one of the hides mentioned below.

Many think that "sprinkler head hides" encourage cachers to disassemble real sprinkler heads, rendering them inoperable.
Unless it's a small bridge, this may be against guidelines.
dressed as a peice of electrical equipment
There have been numerous threads discussing the problems of electrical equipment hides.
but theres quite a bit of homeless...
Caches hidden in homeless camps are generally looked down upon by many.

You can decide for yourself if these types of hides are for you or not, I won't pass judgment on that in this thread. Seeing mention of these 4 sometimes-controversial hide styles mentioned by a cacher with 1 find and 1 hide in short succession makes me ask this:

Sock puppet, or troll? :(

Hopefully I'm wrong. If so, I wish you luck in your caching endeavors. ;)

Crab_Soul, ...

Or a Mingo. Yeah-h-h....pink flamingo -- at'll stick.

~*

Just like to point out that many regulars in the forums would have problems with any one of the hides mentioned below.

Many think that "sprinkler head hides" encourage cachers to disassemble real sprinkler heads, rendering them inoperable.
Unless it's a small bridge, this may be against guidelines.
dressed as a peice of electrical equipment
There have been numerous threads discussing the problems of electrical equipment hides.
but theres quite a bit of homeless...
Caches hidden in homeless camps are generally looked down upon by many.

You can decide for yourself if these types of hides are for you or not, I won't pass judgment on that in this thread. Seeing mention of these 4 sometimes-controversial hide styles mentioned by a cacher with 1 find and 1 hide in short succession makes me ask this:

Sock puppet, or troll? :(

I was going to wait until he proposed a piece of steel pipe with threaded caps located at an elementary school playground before coming to that conclusion. ;)

hey i may be a newbie but im not a moron.

bridge idea SCRAPPED along time ago. forgot that part

if someone is retarded enough to rip apart someone elses sprinkler system go again... its wouldnt be to hard to make one out of a few plasic peices. but thatd only a micro cache.

the electrcial equipment dosnt seem to have many flaws to me as long as its MARKED. and have it marked with a geosticker or someother obviouse hint such as

Ground

Electric

Outlet

as i showed you.

and i never said i was going to put a cache in a hobo camp.... i just said they have been known to be in the area. but then again. this is louisiana. they are everywhere.

My first cache was ripped apart by some large wild animal and strewn across a mountain. This sucked because A) the cache wasn't published, and 2) I had to pick everything up.

Keep trying, having caches get stolen builds character...

Funny stuff tonight! I don't mean to laugh at your predicament, but I would just never see the words "ripped apart by some large animal" in reference to any cache around here. Very urban! Unless you get to the Everglades. Beware the gators!

IM NOT A TROLL!!!

im a level 6 FROST GOBLIN!

Trolls don't really deserve reasonable answers but level 6 frost goblins are a completely different story! As long as the questions seem reasonable they should get reasonable replies. Just because a level 6 frost goblin is a kid doesn't mean he/she shouldn't be able to come here and ask for advice.

My advice would be to not hide caches that look like sprinkler heads in trees next to the sidewalk in front of your house. :)

sometimes there are areas that just can't support or need a cache. Just because the front yard is convenient to you doesn't mean it is a good place for a cache.

i know i just wanted to have one as a test. i completely understand that a cache without a cool thing to look at or do just isnt worth it.

sometimes there are areas that just can't support or need a cache. Just because the front yard is convenient to you doesn't mean it is a good place for a cache.

i know i just wanted to have one as a test. i completely understand that a cache without a cool thing to look at or do just isnt worth it.

I would ask that you not enter any additional submissions until you own a GPS. I see that you derived the coordinates from Google Earth. We do not accept caches like that. You need to have a GPS and you need to get the exact coordinates for the cache site using a handheld GPS and not Google Earth or any other online program.

alright. i just got over excited i guess.

also trying to make sure geocaching is worth spending the money on a gps.

hmm.. i just saw a youtube video of a guy who was useing his laptop to geocache... but he was seeking not hideing.

mtn scares me... :(

Edited by Crab_Soul

hmm.. i just saw a youtube video of a guy who was useing his laptop to geocache... but he was seeking not hideing.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm starting to have flashbacks about a gang of middle school kids a few towns over tossing film canisters into the bushes of every fast food joint in town, and hiding tupperware containers in front of people's houses in residential neighborhoods. They did however, have GPS's. Or I suspect only one they passed around. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm starting to have flashbacks about a gang of middle school kids a few towns over tossing film canisters into the bushes of every fast food joint in town, and hiding tupperware containers in front of people's houses in residential neighborhoods. They did however, have GPS's. Or I suspect only one they passed around. :)

mtn scares me... :)

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm starting to have flashbacks about a gang of middle school kids a few towns over tossing film canisters into the bushes of every fast food joint in town, and hiding tupperware containers in front of people's houses in residential neighborhoods. They did however, have GPS's. Or I suspect only one they passed around. :lol:

Hello Crab Soul

The hiding spot you chose was very visible, I am prretty sure I can see it from up here in Canada.

Was this the knot you hid the cache in?

Muggled.jpg

You have a pretty good spot to hide some type of small cache with a little bit of camo cover tape very close to where you live. Go two blocks east on College and then turn right on to Thornhill, the intersection of Thornhill and Blvd is a nice woody spot free from observers. :(

BlvdandThornhill.jpg

I can even see where someone dumped some mattresses, perhaps you can pick those up and throw them in the trash while your there? :(

DumpedMattresses.jpg

mtn scares me... :)

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm starting to have flashbacks about a gang of middle school kids a few towns over tossing film canisters into the bushes of every fast food joint in town, and hiding tupperware containers in front of people's houses in residential neighborhoods. They did however, have GPS's. Or I suspect only one they passed around. :lol:

Hello Crab Soul

The hiding spot you chose was very visible, I am prretty sure I can see it from up here in Canada.

Was this the knot you hid the cache in?

You have a pretty good spot to hide some type of small cache with a little bit of camo cover tape very close to where you live. Go two blocks east on College and then turn right on to Thornhill, the intersection of Thornhill and Blvd is a nice woody spot free from observers. :(

I can even see where someone dumped some mattresses, perhaps you can pick those up and throw them in the trash while your there? :(

Too cool!! Wicked post! But the hider still needs to get a GPSr.

Lol thats not the cache spot but ok.

how the heck did you find that spot on thornhil from canada ?!?!?

yea i was thinking about that spot on thornhill. but i think some other people were already useing it.... a while back when i used to climb it to go to school we found a stash of weed hidden in the guard rail up top. so that kinda discouraged me from useing that... but that was a few years ago.

further up if you can see the white box looking thing between the caution signs in the pic. thats a part of a drainage system. i would climb that going to school becouse its faster than walking all the way to the next street. buts got a removeable cover and i could put a relatively regular sized cache in there. would have to water proof the crap out of it.

Its not a storm drain like your thinking. its hard to explain but i can get it in there fine...

Edited by Crab_Soul

Too cool!! Wicked post! But the hider still needs to get a GPSr.

That is very true pbbj. Google Maps or Google Earth are not suitable for hiding geocaches, they simply do not have the required accuracy, only a GPS actually works. The OP lives in an a area where there are some geocaches but there are plenty of spots near his first geocache that are suitable but without a GPS the OP wil just have to wait.

To Crab Soul

If you choose to hide a geocache over on Thornhill and Blvd do yourself a favour and don't put it in a drainage grate or anything like that, simply place it away from an area where people would normally walk and cover it with some leaves.

The concrete feature that you mentioned looks like it receives regular foot traffic so I would try across the road in the bushes, not too far in though, just behind a tree or aomething. The key thing is that if you put it where people do not normally go it should not be seen and will not be muggled!