MY FIRST CACHE MUGGLED!

Crab_Soul

sometimes there are areas that just can't support or need a cache. Just because the front yard is convenient to you doesn't mean it is a good place for a cache.

i know i just wanted to have one as a test. i completely understand that a cache without a cool thing to look at or do just isnt worth it.

I would ask that you not enter any additional submissions until you own a GPS. I see that you derived the coordinates from Google Earth. We do not accept caches like that. You need to have a GPS and you need to get the exact coordinates for the cache site using a handheld GPS and not Google Earth or any other online program.

Allow me to add that I have found that the base mapping used in most online maps may be easily off (that is, may deviate) from true location coordinates by anywhere from 30 feet to over 400 feet, in many cases. I have seen even worse in some areas, particularly in forested areas. To me, there is no excuse for not using a GPSr for recording waypoint coordinates for a geocache that you are emplacing.

mtn scares me...

As well he should, my good Sir. Many a hapless forum poster, (your's truly included), have felt the solid "Thunk" of his admin bricks. :blink:

were the bricks hollowed out with mirco caches inside? :D

in his pic he has dark red glasses like cyclops from x-men..... maby he has laser vision too?

mtn scares me...

As well he should, my good Sir. Many a hapless forum poster, (your's truly included), have felt the solid "Thunk" of his admin bricks. :D

were the bricks hollowed out with mirco caches inside? :blink:

in his pic he has dark red glasses like cyclops from x-men..... maby he has laser vision too?

I think he has several types of bricks to choose from. Every one is likely a learning experience that I don't want to have. :D

That is very true pbbj. Google Maps or Google Earth are not suitable for hiding geocaches, they simply do not have the required accuracy, only a GPS actually works. .........

Perpetuating a myth here. In much of the US the satellite images are at last as good as a hand held GPS. The advantage of the GPS is the numbers are easy to read by most anyone, while the satellite images need to be properly interpreted.

ugh... it looked like a sprinkler head too...

now i have to make a new cache near the first spot be a hell of alot harder.. and this was a small sized cache. too...

Sprinklers heads are a real bad idea. I can upon a site once where three real sprinkler heads were vandalized by a cacher(s) who presumably thought they were the container.

However, the Listing Requirements/Guidelines state (as noted above) that a GPS unit MUST be used in order to obtain the coordinates for listing a cache.

You are correct, but I'm not arguing the rules only the reality. However, that being said I don't want to look for a cache that was placed via a satellite image unless I'm sure the hider knows exactly what he or she is doing. The GPS is a tool that makes most everyone more or less equal in skill level for establishing a set of coordinates so we can be relatively sure of the margin of error to expect. If caches were hidden via individual interpretation of map data they would literally be all over the map. The problem is not with the maps, it's with the map readers.