Lying about the size of a cache?

I recently found a cache - well, two actually, but one is more blatant than the other - where the "size" meter was horribly off.

The cache was listed as a "normal" size, so we were searching for an ammo can or a lock n lock... something of that sort. When we finally did find the cache, it was a dollar store bubble bottle - with the bubble wrapper still on it. We almost CITOed it before we realized what it was. I was very frustrated... the only reason we went looking for it (it was well out of our way) was because a wanted to drop a TB we had found a week before. And, oddly, the cache description mentioned that there was a camera in the cache that finders were supposed to take their picture with, and put back. Obviously, no camera could possibly fit in a bubble bottle.

So what the heck? Did someone steal the container, and stuff the logbook in a piece of garbage they found? Or it the cache owner just a poo?

The cache was in a park but WELL off the walking trail, and a good ways off the little path near it, you would have had to know something was there to bother going there. And I've never heard of a cacher stealing a container, so I'm more inclined to go with the second option...

The other cache I mentioned was also listed as "normal" but was a sandwich box... which I think is the guideline for "small" in the first place. But meh, compared to the bubble bottle it's forgivable :laughing:

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with both finds as finds at all, but still... a bit annoying.

EDIT: To anyone just joining: If I had done my homework better before posting, I would have known that the original cache container was pilfered (apparently cachers aren't all so honest) and the log had indeed been stuffed into the bubble bottle by some unscrupulous person. Also, the cache owner has been gone for more than a year, so it's not likely this will be fixed. Oh well, at least they left the log. It's a bit soggy now (bubbles bottles are oddly more leaky than I would have thought for something meant to hold liquid), but better than nothing.

Edited by Silfron Mandotheneset

The first one sounds rather odd and I can't imagine what's going on there.

With your second, it's very possible that the cache was hidden before the new "small" category was developed or that the owner feels that's a regular size. There's always a bit of difference of opinion as to the exact definitions of the sizes when the container isn't one of the examples given.

Read down the logs for the cache you found.

March 20 by The Farrill 4 (476 found)

Found what was left of the original cache. The cache pirate jerks at least put your log book inside a soap bubble bottle. You cann't get it out thou. And they left

a pencil on the wood pile for the log book. We hid the bottle so it woundn't look like trash laying around. SL

[view this log on a separate page]

Did you ask the owner of the cache abt the bubble bottle. I hate bubbles, so I think thats gross.

Abt the second, around these parts a sandwich container is a regular size, actually any type of lock & lock would be considered regular sized. Half the time I read the categories and see small and find the cache a magnetic key holder. Ammo cans are not that easily sourced around these parts (all the Army/Navy stores are since gone in my part of NYC). So don't fret abt that one!

We've found caches that would be listed as a micro here called a small in other places such as pill bottles or Altoids tins. Technically, a micro is about a 35mm sized container, so a pill bottle or Altoids tin is proably really a small, but most people around here think of a small as a lock and lock 4 or 5 inches long by 4x3.

We'd call a sandwich container a small around here.

Found what was left of the original cache. The cache pirate jerks at least put your log book inside a soap bubble bottle. You cann't get it out thou. And they left

a pencil on the wood pile for the log book. We hid the bottle so it woundn't look like trash laying around. SL

I'm confused by this reply. Is this an actual quote from the log, since the OP didn't list the cache #, or are you creating a hypothetical scenario to explain what may have happened?

To the OP, I second the suggestion to email the owner and let them know what you found. There may be hijinks at play that the owner is not aware of...

I'm confused by this reply. Is this an actual quote from the log, since the OP didn't list the cache #,...

Looks like a quote from the log of the cache in question, or at least Mach2003's best effort to find the right cache. It explains the source of the container. Meaning the cache owner was ok, the finder who posted was miffed but at the wrong person.

Most generally if you read the logs, you will see something has happened to it.

We went looking for a ammo can the other day and found a decon container about 50 feet from the location.

Owner replaced but didn't update the page. No big deal.

I've also found a match safe when I was suppose to find a large locknlock.

It is what it is, the more help the better, but not illegal.

I'm confused by this reply. Is this an actual quote from the log, since the OP didn't list the cache #,...

Looks like a quote from the log of the cache in question, or at least Mach2003's best effort to find the right cache. It explains the source of the container. Meaning the cache owner was ok, the finder who posted was miffed but at the wrong person.

That is from the cache page... I read a ways down once I got back, but not quite that far.

Thanks for the suggestion about emailing the owner but this log was also on there:

"... Thanks to the Farrell 4 for tidying up the cache. TNLNSL I’ll thanke the Farrell 4 for this cache as the owner is gone from GC.com almost a year, now. This one need a new container and to be adopted or archived."

So that probably won't help. I guess I'll just do my homework better next time :rolleyes: Thanks to everyone fr the responses though.

EDIT: I didn't post the GC# because I didn't know if that was allowed since I am sort of giving out spoilers... If I can post it and anyone wants me to I will.

Edited by Silfron Mandotheneset

..."... Thanks to the Farrell 4 for tidying up the cache. TNLNSL I’ll thanke the Farrell 4 for this cache as the owner is gone from GC.com almost a year, now. This one need a new container and to be adopted or archived."

So that probably won't help. I guess I'll just do my homework better next time :rolleyes: Thanks to everyone fr the responses though....

Like folks said above. Most container size problems are either where they are subject to intrepretation between two sizes, or honest mistakes. I'm not away of anyone who flat out lied about it.

I have one cache where I hid a decon container (which is small) and listed it as micro on accident. Hundreds of finds later someone sent me an email on it. I corrected the size problem within 5 min of getting the email. I wasn't aware of the mistake before that.

Sometimes the cache owner intentionally elects not to disclose the cache container's size, too.

I have one cache that I did not state the size on purpose because the container is traditionally of a certain dimension and by design it was made differently to fool the cacher. The cache logs and notes I have received have made it certain that people enjoy the surprise once they discover it and think it is ingenious.

Whether a lie or a mistake, certain things would get (and have been) "corrected" as soon as I became aware, such as...

- a micro cache with the size listed as "regular" or "large"

- a multi cache or puzzle listed as a traditional

- a terrain 1.5 is really a terrain 4 (they just wanted more visitors tothe top of the mountain)

- bad coordinates (30 plus feet)

What I normally don't correct

- 10 stage puzzle is actually 3 stages.

- Coordinates off by 15 feet

- Cache sizes that are close, such as a standard Altoids tin listed as a "micro".

I edited my own log on the cache page pointed out the issue with pirating. Hopefully it'll save some people some frustration. I guess that's the best I can do.

No....you could post a Reviewer Note suggesting it be archived, and if it is, grab the spot & place a container there yourself - of the size and type befitting your expectations. Maybe rig it up to play, when opened, 'What A Day For A Daydream'....at least the whistley part. That would make it all better all right & there will be peace in the valley. For thee. Oh yeah.

~:rolleyes:

I am aware of it. I've run across 3 caches over the years that were intentionally misleading as to the cache size. I even checked with the owner's ---- VERY annoying.

That's what I like about the unspecified container size option.

I've found a lot of micro's listed as smalls and a lot of smalls listed as regulars. Even some Altoid tins listed as regulars.

But to keep everything in context, with all the nano's out there being listed as a micro, I can see how a new cacher would get confused and think a small would indeed be a regular.

I edited my own log on the cache page pointed out the issue with pirating. Hopefully it'll save some people some frustration. I guess that's the best I can do.

No....you could post a Reviewer Note suggesting it be archived, and if it is, grab the spot & place a container there yourself - of the size and type befitting your expectations. Maybe rig it up to play, when opened, 'What A Day For A Daydream'....at least the whistley part. That would make it all better all right & there will be peace in the valley. For thee. Oh yeah.

~:rolleyes:

Heh, yeah, except that it's five hours away from where I live. We were visiting family out of state :) Otherwise I would definitely jump on replacing it. I've been looking to place my first and that would take a lot of the work out of it and give me some practice just maintaining. But yeah... 5 hours is a looooong way to drive to check a cache :)

That is from the cache page... I read a ways down once I got back, but not quite that far.

Thanks for the suggestion about emailing the owner but this log was also on there:

"... Thanks to the Farrell 4 for tidying up the cache. TNLNSL I’ll thanke the Farrell 4 for this cache as the owner is gone from GC.com almost a year, now. This one need a new container and to be adopted or archived."

So that probably won't help. I guess I'll just do my homework better next time :rolleyes: Thanks to everyone fr the responses though.

EDIT: I didn't post the GC# because I didn't know if that was allowed since I am sort of giving out spoilers... If I can post it and anyone wants me to I will.

That was my first guess as to what probably happened.

- Cache sizes that are close, such as a standard Altoids tin listed as a "micro".

Around here an Altoids tin is a micro. So is a mini-M&M container. A decon container is a small.

Ditto. At least it used to be. Whatever the official descriptions are, I think the classifications have shifted as caches have gotten smaller. The sandwich box the OP found should have been a Small, but I can see where a newer cacher would think it was Regular compared to the all the match containers and film cans out there.

Around here an Altoids tin is a micro. So is a mini-M&M container. A decon container is a small.

Ditto. At least it used to be. Whatever the official descriptions are, I think the classifications have shifted as caches have gotten smaller. The sandwich box the OP found should have been a Small, but I can see where a newer cacher would think it was Regular compared to the all the match containers and film cans out there.

So by today's standards should an ammo can be a large? ;) Edited by TrailGators

So by today's standards should an ammo can be a large? ;)

That's what they seem to think in Oklahoma anyway O_o.

I know I'm new at this but I use these guidelines when searching:

micro - 35mm film canister ish, or quite likely a bison tube

small - decon or sandwich box

regular - ammo can or similar

large - well... haven't found any but I believe they're supposed to be a 5-gallon bucket size or bigger?

But that's just what I took from reading the guidelines.

Most of the caches I've found have stuck to this but I've found a few that were a bit off, but really could go either way. I'll admit I like it when a cache is listed as a micro and ends up being a large pill bottle or something of the sort. Or a small turns out to be a large tupperware. But that happens much less often, it seems.

I have seen (haven't gotten to find it yet) one where the cache is listed as a micro, but in the cache description it says it's a "super duper micro." I thought that was really nice, that way I know not to be looking for a bison tube or a film canister when I should be looking for... er... well something else ;)

In an urban environment, it doesn't make a huge difference if an Altoids tin is a micro or a small, especially if you're standing looking at a metal box or something, but out in the woods, it can make things interesting. We've found "small" matchstick holders in small knot holes in trees before and almost immediately say, "That's no small..."

bubbles bottles are oddly more leaky than I would have thought for something meant to hold liquid, but better than nothing.

Bottles of bubble stuff have ruined quite a few caches over the years, including some of mine. It is one of the few swag items that, (if I see it mentioned in a find log on one of my caches), will cause me to bolt out of the house to remove it. How anybody could possibly think putting a flimsy plastic bottle with a weak seal and flimsy lid, filled with soapy liquid, into an ammo can is a good idea escapes me all together. I'd rather see a log saying "Took trinket, left thermonuclear warhead" than one mentioning bubble stuff. :anicute:

Whether a lie or a mistake, certain things would get (and have been) "corrected" as soon as I became aware, such as...

- a micro cache with the size listed as "regular" or "large"

- a multi cache or puzzle listed as a traditional

- a terrain 1.5 is really a terrain 4 (they just wanted more visitors tothe top of the mountain)

- bad coordinates (30 plus feet)

But altoids tins ARE micros :)

These aren't very big deals in my opinion. Now if I headed out looking for a "Regular" size container and it was plainly a micro, now that would tick me off, you think completeyl different looking for a micro vs regular.

I'm with you on that ... and I'd add that I dislike where prople don't indicate a size at all, whether from laziness, or trying to make the cache "artificially" tougher by not telling the size. Take the time to tick the little box when making the cache page .... and if you want to make the hunt harder, find a better hiding spot!

Another thing that annoys me besides stretching the truth of the size is misrepresenting the placed date. PQs that should be locked because of placed date get larger because some jokes pre-dates his caches. I've talked to him about it and he's perfectly fine with it. Me, I'm perfectly fine with ignoring all of his caches.

What do you label a nano or micro container that is camoed so that the entire cache is the size of a small?

It's the size of the open area inside the container that is used to describe the size. If you J.B. Weld a bison tube to an abandoned rail car then the "camo" can be seen from outer space and weighs several tons, but the container is still a bison tube (micro).