What's the name of the first cache you ever placed?

How did your first cache work out? Still going?

Learned a few things or did pretty good on the first attempt?

Spirit of Nature (Manito Park)

"Spirit" was place in January of 2003; it's been found 508 time to date. I've moved it around within the bounds of geocaching rules to keep it fresh. Its been muggled several times but because it was my first I just keep it going. A whole new "generation" of cachers are finding it now and the comments remain good. So yes, I think I did really well in my first attempt; I attribute that to the fact that I had a hundred finds under my belt when I hid it. I knew by then what was a bad cache and what was good. This one has stood the test of time.

Edited by MedicOne

My first (and currently only) cache, Cache a Trois, was place 9-10-07....and it's STILL GOING! lol Actually, I didn't realize its almost been a year. I'll have to do something special for its year anniversary.

The logs have been positive so I guess I did something right. Did a lot reading here before I placed it and worked on it for months. But it was placing this cache that I discovered multis aren't very popular. I had a topic on that and was surprised with the replies.

I am just about ready to place another two caches in this park in hopes that the numbers folks will be more likely to visit this relatively hidden park. I WAS planning another multi but...seems that's not popular.

I do wish the DNFers would post their DNFs so my logs would be more accurate. But at least my cache has almost made it to the year mark! :)

How did your first cache work out? Still going?

Learned a few things or did pretty good on the first attempt?

GC191RD Socrates' Stash

Been there for awhile now and learned things about finding a good hiding place that falls within regulations that will last awhile. The first container got muggled right after the FTF but since replacing it, has stayed in pretty good condition!

May switch up the container soon to make it a bit more difficult to find! Har har! :laughing:

Ample Micro. It was placed along a street called Ample. It was a Micro. The GC code was "XTC" which was too awesome.

I learned some things. It was a warm up to hiding caches. I was a bit frustrated at first because nobody came looking for it and then when the experienced cachers came for their FTFs, they couldn't find it. I'd hidden it so simply. But it was hiding it simple that was the catch.

I archived it not too long ago because Ample wasn't a pretty place to bring people and I think I'm better than that now.

"Posted on the Bike Path" placed on 11/7/2004.

I've got a couple lessons learned with this cache, so of which have been their own forum topics:

1) Don't submit the cache for review unless the cache is physically in place. The FTF were already looking for the cache when I showed up to place it, even though it was -10° F that morning. :laughing:

2) Even if the the cache is along a public bike path fifty yards from the nearest business and a couple hundred yards from the nearest private residences, muggles will still become interested in the different kind of activity. Employees at the business thought cachers were "spies" sent by their boss to watch them and the residents were just curious (according to notes left in the cache). After replacing the cache a couple of times, I moved it from the place with the best view to a location out of view.

3) Fence posts will hold a cache MUCH bigger than a magnetic bison.

4) With more caches to choose from as time goes on, people are less likely to look for a cache that is more than a few feet from the nearest parking (the number of annual visits continues to drop).

Elves in the Forest, GC791E, is still going strong, with 157 finds as it approaches its sixth anniversary this week. Typical of its time period, it's the first cache in a nice suburban park, and takes the finder on a walk up a stream valley. I hid the cache after geocaching for two months and finding 41 caches. It's gone missing once, which gave me the opportunity to replace a broken plastic drybox with a standard ammo can.

With this cache, I began my tradition of including the word "Elves" in all of my cache names. Call it The Leprechauns' branding strategy.

Handy information for those wanting to try the hamstercaching contest, caches hidden by elves, who knew!

My first cache was called Thing One and it will be revived someday. It was hidden by a scenic overlook and attached magnetically to a city waste receptacle, that was fine in the early winter but by the time spring/summer arrived the waste receptacle really began to fulfill it's role as the first waste receptacle on a popular dog walking route. The nature of the hunt was changed dramatcially and the cache was no longer too pleasant, it became a crappy experience. I archived the cache and it has not been resurrected but one day it will be. Thing Two, my second cache, is still going strong today, it was hidden in a nice location that turned out to be even nicer in the spring/summer.

I hid my first cache, Unnatural Pile of Rocks (GCXBN0), back in July 2006. Had to replace it once (swastikas and caches don't mix!), but it's still going strong. 116 finds, 8 DNFs. :laughing:

A lot of people would hate it. Doesn't bother me! It is not a micro in a rock pile, I assure you. :laughing:

Spoiler for Mayberry, NC cachers!

Our fist cache was placed as a P and G. It's been up for about 10 days and has 6 visits.

We named it "Closed for the Reason" because it is a bird house that has the entrance hole closed.

Closed... received it's first travel bug yesterday.

One log entry by Night Hawk states

"When I read the name of the cache I wondered what it meant. I laughed when I saw the cache. The horses here are VERY friendly... The loved the attention I gave them. They KNOW where the cache is if you need help finding it.

Here is our first one: Elementary My Dear???? GC17VGA

We did learn a few things from it I guess:

- some people don't like flax bush hides (but funnily enough they still look for it!) and we probably would not do a similar hide now.

- it is extremely difficult to get co-ordinates that please everyone

- some people don't even read cache pages, never mind hints. We still continue to place caches where actually reading the page is helpful - even essential! - and we continue to give hints.

It is a bit over a year old and has had 33 finds and 4 DNFs.

Annie

Our first cache placement was Bond Lake Adventure Cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ed-aaaee077ed39

It was hidden on 8/5/2004 and has 74 finds to date. The cache is a 3-part multi with the total trip being just over 2 miles. We did some maintenance on the cache a few weeks ago and it just reminded us of how much we love this placement; we've always tried to hide caches that we felt we would enjoy finding and continue to follow that motto to this date.

Mine is Clevenger Canyon Cache. I placed it six years ago. About 14 months after I placed the cache they banned caching in the park. The rangers didn't want to hike up to get my cache, but I removed it in a spirit of cooperation and converted it to a virtual to keep it going. Then about a year later, we talked them into allowing caching back in the park with some rules and if you applied. However, by that time Groundspeak had banned new virtual caches. So I decided to keep it as a virtual. Good thing I did because a little over a year ago we had a massive fire and the original cache would not have survived. Today the cache doesn't get visited very often, but when it does those cachers seem to really enjoy it. It is in one of my favorite spots in the county. The US army marched through and fought in that valley during the Mexican-American war back in 1848. :anicute:

Edited by TrailGators

Our first hide is Rugrat's Surprize. We only had 26 hides under our collective belts, and the paltry cache page reflects our inexperience at the time. My own rather biased standards have risen quite a bit since then, and if it wasn't for the personal historical significance of the hide, I would've archived it long ago. I'm kinda proud that our first hide, (like dang near all our hides), was an ammo can, and that it was hidden so well that many cachers have actually stood on it without knowing it.

Mine is Cache From Utopia, GC4ECF, hidden 4/19/2002. It was gone for 5 years but I recently resurrected it. Just like it's first incarnation the first stage gives me fits. I didn't know any better when I was starting out and hid it too close to the trail. When originally placed it was the 3rd cache in Arbor Hills Nature Preserve but now there are 17, I think.

My first hide is still doing well - a mountain view picnic area about 1 mile from the interstate. It is called Draper Mountain View set up in 2002 I think. I cached for about 1 year before hiding my 1st. Still amazed with GPS techknowlogy. All my hides since 2002 are doing well - I only have 4 of them. I am very Picky where I hide them.

Edited by GPS-Hermit

Elves in the Forest, GC791E, is still going strong, with 157 finds as it approaches its sixth anniversary this week. Typical of its time period, it's the first cache in a nice suburban park, and takes the finder on a walk up a stream valley. I hid the cache after geocaching for two months and finding 41 caches. It's gone missing once, which gave me the opportunity to replace a broken plastic drybox with a standard ammo can.

With this cache, I began my tradition of including the word "Elves" in all of my cache names. Call it The Leprechauns' branding strategy.

and most of them are either quite evil, or in very senic locations

my first was a multi in a graveyard near me. after maybe finding 20 caches (and 1 multi), i decided to place my first cache near where i have my Boy Scout meetings. called it "Don't Be Scared By the Ghouls". i used Stacker3 vials as my stages, which weren't waterproof, and after not being able to find the third stage myself, i decided to archive it. did i mention that i didn't have a GPS yet? had to borrow my friends. lasted a few months

First cache I placed is called "Early Maridia", and is still running. Then again, it was only placed about a year and a half ago, so it's still young. Although I need to make a new container for it... someone closed a keyring onto the seal when clamping it shut, ruined the seal, and now moisture gets in :angry:.

"Berger Park", placed 7/1/07. 55 finds to date. I've moved 1700 miles away, but still need to sell my condo that is nearby, so go back frequently. Fortunately, after I placed a note asking the next person who looked for it to replace the log, they did so. When I finally do sell, I'll probably archive it.

Our first hide is still active. GCQ4J5 Pau Hao Brown Cow hidden on 8/13/05 2 months and 30 something finds into our geocaching career. It is an ammobox, which we'd bought long before we'd ever heard of geocaching. We always knew we'd find a use for such a cool container! Back then it took almost 3 weeks for anyone to go look for it, now even caches that require much longer hikes are found within 24 hours.