Tricks 'n' Tips

SidAndBob

Over time everyone figures out many ways to improve their caching experience, but most people are probably still missing out on some improvements, or find them the hard way.

Here's my top 10 11.

1. Get a lanyard for your GPRs. It shouldn't be so long the the unit hits the ground if you drop it.

2. Get a screen protector or a case before it's too late.

3. Always mark the location of your car before you set off on a hunt.

4. Load all traditional caches (and virtuals) into your GPSr as POI with the hint in the description. You need a GPSr that supports POI, but it's great for impromtu caching visits.

5. Carry plenty of rechargeable batteries and make they've been recharged. This is a bit obvious, I know.

6. When chosing other equiptment (like a camera) try and chose items that use AA batteries, so batteries are interchangeable. You can get a cheap device that allows a PDA to be recharged from AA batteries too.

7. Keep useful info on your PDA, like a picture of a phone keypad, answers to mystery caches, spoiler photos and clues picked up from other caches in a series.

8. Load PQ ebooks onto you PDA for the whole area. A good backup if you mess up your gpx download for some reason. (This may have just disappeared having just read another thread).

9. Keep keys is a zipped pocket or similar.

10. Set up some rules in your email client (we use Outlook) to move GC.com emails to different folders and set up sounds to play when those rules are triggered. This way you will know when one of your caches has been found, a new cache has been published, your trackable has been moved etc.

...and one more

11. Get a PDA stylus which incorporates a pen.

I'd love to hear some ideas that we've missed out on...

Don't go to the toilet int he woods till you have found the cache :huh:

Now THAT is a top tip! :(

Always have a pencil on you for when the log is damp and a biro won't work

Always have a couple of spare stubby pencils so you can leave one in a cache that doesn't have one - saves the owner a maintenance trip

Carry a small torch and a small mirror

Carry a felt-tip pen for when the log is so wet, you can't use pencil or biro

Tweezers are great for removing splinters, thorns and tiny tiny cache logs.

Wear a hat, so that the things that would scratch your scalp, only get the hat.

I'm guessing the mirror might be handy for looking around corners, when you can't feel where a sneaky nano is hidden.

Amongst other bits and bobs in my geocaching bag are:

Surgical Gloves - for really messy/dirty caches

First Aid Kit

Wet wipes - cleaning hands etc

Whistle - you never know when you might need to attract attention

Torch - looking under dark tree roots etc

Snacks for Evan - you never know when children will be hungry.

Swiss Army Knife - stones in horses hooves etc

Small monocular - wildlife watching

Edited by scanker

A digital camera is often a great geocaching tool. I use it for looking in places I can't see into, keeping information on stages of a multi in case things go wrong and I want to check back, and in a couple of cases I've had to count things which have been very difficult with the naked eye, so I've taken a photo and zoom in when looking at the pic.

Don't go to the toilet int he woods till you have found the cache :lol:
Take a Labrador: Perfect cover and great company :lol:

On several occasions we've pretended to be looking for the dogs' ball while grunging around in a hedge

Having a dog is a godsend for service station motorway mayhem caches :lol:

... Find the cache before letting the dog go to the toilet! :)

G

My top tip..

Change GPS from the compass arrow to the map and zoom in.. it is usually more acurate than the ickle arrow.

Found many a cache this way.. while arrow is still making up its mind!!!!!

Moss T :(

'Tis the method I also use, Mr Trooper, sir. Very rarely do I use the navigation screen now as I much prefer to use the map.

I’ve just been looking at some caching logs and I’m amazed at how many there are from cachers who have “found the area” or “the rocks/logs the cache must’ve been under” but, even with no sign of the box or damaged contents, they’ll still log the cache. So my tip is:

If you get even remotely near the cache, say you’ve found it as it IS, after all, about the numbers. Who deletes logs anyway?

Carry a small torch and a small mirror

Just have to ask, why a small mirror??? :(

You mean, apart from being able to check my hairdo?

I use it to:

Look on the other side of fences where the bars are too close together to stick my head through

Look up high, it's like a periscope

Look down low, my knees aren't as springy as they used to be

Look into holes that I can't get my head close to.

My top tip..

Change GPS from the compass arrow to the map and zoom in.. it is usually more acurate than the ickle arrow.

Found many a cache this way.. while arrow is still making up its mind!!!!!

Moss T :blink:

'Tis the method I also use, Mr Trooper, sir. Very rarely do I use the navigation screen now as I much prefer to use the map.

Me too. And tell it to stop navigating. It assumes you're going the right way sometimes!

Oh... take a wheelbarrow to carry all this kit in :ph34r:

My 5 that I've found useful....

Wear "combat" trousers rather than jeans etc, then you can have a pocket each for your camera, phone, wallet, keys, pen & paper etc etc

Get a head torch - much easier than fumbling around in the dark holding the log book, pen and a hand torch.

Get a small power inverter to convert 12V from the car cigar lighter to a 240V 3-pin socket supply. - really useful for charging phones, PDA's, Laptops, battery chargers etc.

Get an Aquapac for your PDA/GPSr.

Carry plenty of fluid/water with you, and keep some in the car in case you get stuck in a motorway jam.

Edit:- Oh, and number 6:- make sure the pen you carry doesn't have any sharp edges or metal clips which can ruin your phone or cameras screen when you put it in the wrong pocket :ph34r:

Edited by Nediam

A leatherman so you can sharpen the pencils in the micros

Small mirror can be used to signal in an emergency.

I allways carry a space blanket and disposable poncho (from Tescos £1 the pair, when they have them)

Whistle, just in case your phone dosnt work and you have a accident (3 sharp blasts international distress signal)

2 water bottles (Mrs G and me)

Hat for when it rains.

:o

Whistle, just in case your phone dosnt work and you have a accident (3 sharp blasts international distress signal)

We carry whistles. One blast means "Where are you?" or "I'm here".

Two blasts means "muggle in view", which isn't only useful at caches, it's also useful at certain other times.

Three blasts means "I found it". I hope we don't attract the attention of International Rescue.

This was a reply I made to a different thread however I think it is a very useful tip!

If you use CacheMate when out on the hunt you can add notes to any entry at any point. Just tap where you want to add your notes to insert the cursor then type away.

This works in the main description, names, titles, logs etc.

If I am on holiday or a big caching day I use this to rename the title/name to include a count (ie 01-this cache, 02-that cache) so I can easily see what order I did the caches in (although the time is stored if you use the 'Log' section to its full capability.

Always have a pencil on you for when the log is damp and a biro won't work

Always have a couple of spare stubby pencils so you can leave one in a cache that doesn't have one - saves the owner a maintenance trip

A leatherman so you can sharpen the pencils in the micros

I use my leatherman to chop pencils into pieces - and carry a pencil sharpener to create a mini pencil that'll fit any sized container! :(

I also carry in the car a small selection of cache boxes (and a few 35mm containers ;)). They don't cost much and you can really help out by replacing a worn out, leaky container for the owner.

Gloves are a good idea... wish I had them over lunchtime today. I was on an old bridleway hunting for a rock inscribed with a clue in the thick undergrowth when I looked up to see a chap starting down the path towards me.

Obviously I discontinued my search and headed back to the car. As I reached the chap he said "Are you from the DOT?" (Department of Transport) I replied in the negative. "Are you sure your not from the DOT because I've been on at them to get these drainage channels cleared." I assured him I wasn't connected with the deaprtment. Then the question every geocacher fears the most .... "What are you doing then?"

I had to think on my feet but I came up with this:

"I'm searching for a small digital camera that my kids dropped while blackberry picking.... no luck I'm affraid."

Then I got a surprise, he said "Show me the spot and I'll get my big sythe and the strimmer out to cut back the nettles and brables to see if I can find it for you.... I clear these paths on a regular basis so walkers can get through, but it's about time the DOT did it and not me!"

Result! I'll give him a ring tomorrow to see if he found the camera, then go and have a look for the stone myself!

Top tip:

Enlist a muggle to clear the paths of nettles and brambles for you.

Cust.

We carry whistles. One blast means "Where are you?" or "I'm here".

Two blasts means "muggle in view", which isn't only useful at caches, it's also useful at certain other times.

Three blasts means "I found it". I hope we don't attract the attention of International Rescue.

Does having voice activated PMR radios count as cheating then ?? :) £15 from maplin. There are wrist mounted ones now.

When in full blown search mode 4 of us have radios so we can just press a button and say muggles certainly better than shouting "people coming"

Our top tip write a log that will help you remember the cache in a couple of years time when you look back it will be worthwhile.

I'd love to hear some ideas that we've missed out on...

I carry a: -

1. Torch

2. Water

3. A walking stick (always handy for proding down holes, beating down nettles etc)

4. Pens/Pencils/Sharpeners

5. Digital Camera

6. Gloves

7. Spare batteries

8. A hat

9. A magnetic compass for when the C60's electronic compas decides to point West but reads North :)

10. Mobile phone which I use to load the .prc files on to save paper and for emergencies.

Marking the waypoint of where you left the car is a very good tip.

Also, ALWAYS tell someone (or leave a note) of where your going, you never know if something is going to happen to you and you can't use the phone, whistle or mirror (to signal passing airliners :sad: ) to get help.

TLHM

When setting a collect the clues cache try not to use the first two numbers of a date.

This is because nearly all dates on buildings or objects start 17,18 or 19 and very very occasionally 20 a few quick plots at home and people will crack the final location.

Also try not to make people get every number as they will nearly always be able to guess the first part of the coordinates from the start location try to make your clues lead to the last 3 digits of the N and W co ords.

Also remember that the last of the 3 digits is ignored by many as just keying in a 5 gets you close enough.

So if the final cache is at N 99 99.999 keying N 99 99.995 will get you into the earch area.

If possible make them add up numbers to find the final co ords so

For example cache is at N 99 99.(A + B + C + D + E +18) W 002 99.(F+G+D)-18

Of course these hints and tips work the other way round :lol::lol:

Always carry a tube of anti-histomine, works a lot better than a dock leaf when the inevitable fall into the nettles happens! :lol: As has happened to me on more than one occasion in the very short time I've been Geocaching! Also rather handy when you get bitten by insects such as the rather nasty Horse-Fly that took a chunk out of me last time out :lol: .......Ade

Make the maths clear, too. Not forgetting BODMAS, people have different interpretations.

(A+B/C) could mean either A+(B/C) or (A+:)/C.

Oh.... have some anti-bacterial gel close by.

No. (A+B/C) always means A+(B/C), and it's not at all ambiguous.

Multiplication and division takes precedence over addition and subtraction. Bodmas is right.

Make the maths clear, too. Not forgetting BODMAS, people have different interpretations.

(A+B/C) could mean either A+(B/C) or (A+:)/C.

Oh.... have some anti-bacterial gel close by.

No. (A+B/C) always means A+(B/C), and it's not at all ambiguous.

Multiplication and division takes precedence over addition and subtraction. Bodmas is right.

But unless you knew that multiplication and division takes precedence it is ambiguous....