New Feature that should be designed "CACHER SEARCH"

genegene

This is a Yes or NO Question, not a debate or argument topic. so please just say yes or no.

After downloading the new Google Earth I noticed a little dot and then clicked on it and found it was a picture. I found out that if there was more then one picture, that 1 dot would have multiple dots coming off of it to tell you there were other pictures in that same spot.

So here goes the pitch to Groundspeak

Copy Goggles picture bubble and instead of pictures put geocachers names there. You can put it in the form of a search: Country, State/Province, County. When you pick the county, it will bring up a map of the county and that map will have an out line of all the towns. each town will have a dot in it and when you hover over that dot the names of all the geocachers that live in that town or zip code will then appear. NOT THERE HOME ADDRESS, JUST TOWN. When you click on there name it will then take you to there profile page where you can contact them if you so chose. With the current way of finding someone in my area, I need to look at the logs and then pick a name and see where a big percentage of there cache finds are and then deduce whether or not they live in the area. It takes forever to do it this way.

This is just my idea of a better form of contacting one another other then the current form.

P.S. This feature would be open to everyone and not just a P.M. feature

Now the question for every one is this: would you like to see this idea or something like it done on Geocaching.com YES OR NO

Edited by genegene

This is a Yes or NO Question, not a debate or argument topic. so please just say yes or no.

After downloading the new Google Earth I noticed a little dot and then clicked on it and found it was a picture. I found out that if there was more then one picture, that 1 dot would have multiple dots coming off of it to tell you there were other pictures in that same spot.

So here goes the pitch to Groundspeak

Copy Goggles picture bubble and instead of pictures put geocachers names there. You can put it in the form of a search: Country, State/Province, County. When you pick the county, it will bring up a map of the county and that map will have an out line of all the towns. each town will have a dot in it and when you hover over that dot the names of all the geocachers that live in that town or zip code will then appear. NOT THERE HOME ADDRESS, JUST TOWN. When you click on there name it will then take you to there profile page where you can contact them if you so chose. With the current way of finding someone in my area, I need to look at the logs and then pick a name and see where a big percentage of there cache finds are and then deduce whether or not they live in the area. It takes forever to do it this way.

This is just my idea of a better form of contacting one another other then the current form.

P.S. This feature would be open to everyone and not just a P.M. feature

Now the question for every one is this: would you like to see this idea or something like it done on Geocaching.com YES OR NO

Sorry, it's called a "discussion forum". If you don't want discussion, I suggest going into your bathroom and talking into the porcelain bowl instead of posting here.

Now, as far as the topic at hand goes....

sorry after your opening line anything else you had to say was irrelevant. Not getting either answer your desire.

Such a feature would need to be on an opt-in basis. Otherwise there are privacy issues. So, more trouble than it's worth.

Good ways to get lists of local cachers:

-- See who posts logs on caches, week after week, in the area of interest

-- See who posts in the local forums

-- See who attends "local" events (i.e., a pub night, not GeoWoodstock)

Yes

Why not? You're on here, if you can opt out of it, I don't see why it would be a problem. You post location info anyway...

Oh, and I do agree with the OP (even if I didn't follow his directives) - I think if you want to do a Yes/No question, you should be able to. I don't see why the "survey" feature is not allowed... It would simplify such requests as this. There are a lot of people on this board who play devil's advocate by nature on every topic they post on, and make it very difficult to get a simple answer to what, in many cases, is a simple question.

Edited by FireRef

No

And I also agree with the other posters that we should always be able to discuss our answers. Maybe I say no because I didn't understand your intention. Would you rather see a rational discussion about why we disagree? or just a dozen people blindly shooting down the idea?

Besides the privacy issues, I can't see how this would useful at just a town level...with the several hundred cachers in our mid-sized city, that's too many dots for me to find anyone.

If I want to find some cachers in a general area, I'll do a search for geocaches and see which names pop up. A simple click to their profile from there.

Yes

Why not? You're on here, if you can opt out of it, I don't see why it would be a problem. You post location info anyway...

Oh, and I do agree with the OP (even if I didn't follow his directives) - I think if you want to do a Yes/No question, you should be able to. I don't see why the "survey" feature is not allowed... It would simplify such requests as this. There are a lot of people on this board who play devil's advocate by nature on every topic they post on, and make it very difficult to get a simple answer to what, in many cases, is a simple question.

No, the option would be to opt IN, not out. This information is currently private. You don't make a blanket change, then require people who don't like it to opt out.

The OPs imagines interface is ridiculous and impractical. He or she apparently doesn't live it a big city.

It would have to be an opt-in choice for the cachers, which limits the response. Of those that opt in, a large portion will give the wrong information (zip code,hometown,etc.), further limiting it's usefulness.

From a privacy and usefulness standpoint... NO.

No.

Look at hiders of geocaches to see who is active in that area. I had someone e-mail me: You've hidden the nearest three caches. Let's get together and go geocaching. Not where I live, though I do frequent the area. Only 35 miles away. We had some nice geocaching trips. Then again, I have caches in various places around North Jersey.

Yes, I like it.

I have seen a similar feature on another forum site, although using google maps - not google earth. It is an opt in feature - they can't display your location if you don't tell them - and it is nice to get an idea who is in your area, or what area people are in.

Boxers or briefs?

No. Cache listing logs offer enough info on who has found the cache, what the experience was like, and should I add it to my 'go and find it' list.

Diet Dr. Pepper

Paper

No, derailing threads with additional posting requirements is fun. :unsure:

Edited by wimseyguy