Favorite Coin, and why

salmondan

I have recently succumbed to the allure of geocoins and would like to learn some more. Best way I have always found to learn something is to talk to people with experience.

Interested in seeing pictures of peoples favorite geocoins if you care to share. Also interested in learning why it was chosen.

Yes, yes, yes, I know it is personal preference, but I'm interested non-the-less.

Thanks.

I like coins with high artistic detail and craftsmanship...while many designs that come out today are cute...much of them seem canned...almost made just to secure a profit or to get yet another coin out there...for this reason, I choose these two:

Astrolabe:

392134f8-26cc-4ea0-a25c-6f8179dcb418.jpg

Tracking Time:

5a23237a-3bc9-48e0-aa0f-0b904981e3bd.jpg

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

As of today it's the Suncatcher.

Before I had heard of it I emailed the other members of ICE and said "wouldn't it be cool to do a coin that looked like stained glass?" and being ever so much up on coins our treasurer Toojin & Bard said "Crake beat you to it" and she sent me a picture. Sure enough he had. It was a good looking coin and I broke my rule about state & country only and got one of each. As soon as I can figure out how I'm going to hang it from the rear view mirror. Hopefully it's UV resistant in it's colors. It will look better than that ratty rock chuck tail I had up there.

I would have to say in a biased tone of voice, that all three of Shop99ers coins would have to be hands down my most coveted, followed by Whitebears complete set. Other than that, I would have to place my vote on the 06' Compass Rose, the Ajetpilot coin (Non-Trackable), and the A.P.E. Coin set.

Like the OP, I have only recently begun my obsession with geocoins. My collection isn't nearly what others have acquired based on preferences and money concerns (sheeesh it can get expensive). But my recent aqcuisition of a Scotland Geocoin is by far my favorite. The reasons are all personal. I have Scottish ancestry and Scotland is one of the few places on earth that I actually long to return too (having spent a while backpacking in the highlands).

91fcb17a-2940-4a3e-b61c-4fd647051ca6.jpg

When we finally get our own coin made, that will probably be our favorite. :):D

Right now, we have several that we like. We recently found a Florida Geocachers coin, the one with the alligator in three-D relief. This is a handsome coin. We hope to have our Cache Hound on our coin in the style of the alligator. What we liked about the one we picked up was the name given to it by the owner. The coin is named, "Where's My Poodle?" Click the link if you want to see a photo (TBVRWP).

We grabbed the coin at the South Jersey Geocacher's Meet and Eat, and we dropped it off in upstate NY last week.

2005 GeoLuau II

luau%20coin.jpg

Remember the days when Geocoins sold out in a matter of minutes

I was chopping firewood outside and thought it was time for a break,

went inside, got some Kool-aid checked the forums and was very lucky to snag one of these Beauties

Deep 3-D , GeoEvent , Dated , Round , Rare , made by GeoCachers and all the stuff I like! :D

It's been in My signature line for over a year so dont even think about trading :)

2005 GeoLuau II

luau%20coin.jpg

went inside, got some Kool-aid checked the forums and was very lucky to snag one of these Beauties

Deep 3-D , GeoEvent , Dated , Round , Rare , made by GeoCachers and all the stuff I like! :D

It's been in My signature line for over a year so dont even think about trading :)

And Mrs. Shop99er and myself thank you for the great compliment.

2005 GeoLuau II

luau%20coin.jpg

And Mrs. Shop99er and myself thank you for the great compliment.

I, too, will add my admiration, if only for the picture, since I've never had one in hand. I have been contemplating a three-dee coin myself based upon something I own, can you say who made it for you, shop99er?

Cheers,

nooks

Nooks, let me know if you want to see one in person.

Favorite coins: Moun10Bike (for personal reasons) & Geo-Achievement coins for design:

geo-ach-0100f-150.jpg

geo-ach-0500f-150.jpg

I call "shenanigans!" on everybody that nominated thier own coin - that's too easy! :)

edited to add pics.

Edited by kealia

Where's my Poodle- Florida coin is hysterical! Anyone know who made this?

I didn't create the Florida geocoin, it's a very cool coin. This is my traveling geocoin though. It's been a big hit so far, people seem to really enjoy it. I thought it was funny :)

Here's a picture of the actual coin, sorry the picture is so big.

fdf800b1-62b2-4edc-8410-f9f8b13c1cf9.jpg

I call "shenanigans!" on everybody that nominated thier own coin - that's too easy! :)

While not my own coin, I am in the process of designing one for Oakcoins that will definately be one of my favorites!!

Remember the coin idea designed on the napkin?

The ROT 13 Dragon Spinner coin!

ROT13_DragonSpinner.jpg

Preview of the mint art should be coming by weeks end. Just a bit more detail to work out. :D

As far as coins already produced:

Crake's Tracking Time Coin and the Geoswag Coin & Pin Club's 9-11 Coin

Why?

Because both are truely beautiful works of art. :D

I hope I don't sound arrogant by naming two of my designs as some of my favorite coins, but I am truely proud of how the 9-11 coins turned out. When I was designing it I never thought it would turn out so beautiful!

If the dragon coins turn out even close to what I'm envisioning in my mind, I'm sure it will quickly be added to you guys & gals favorites list!! :D

D-man :D

I guess if we are talking about adventures and effort in earning a coin, our Tour de Cache (in gold) Photos should be added to the list. The underlined title is a link to pictures. The page with pictures has a link to the listing for the Tour de Cache. We had to find a cache in each of NJ's 21 counties in order to receive coordinates to the final. This was a 22 stage multi-cache, but we earned smileys for each stage. The coin is quite attractive, and we will keep our gold one. Silver versions can be purchased.

Also, we dropped one of each part of a five coin set, Kayakerinme Photos (that's another link) in five different states to get it traveling. The concept and execution of this coin are both top notch.

Many of the coins we have in our collection and that we have released are grand.

I can think of four coins right off the bat, since they qualify as the coins I want most:

Bluegillfisherman, Rupert2, Moun10bike v3, and Johnnie Lacy

My favorite coins are ones that people gift away. All four of those gentlemen handed me coins just because. That's the true spirit of coins, IMHO.

***if I forgot anyone who gifted me coins, I apologize. I don't have my binder next to me <_<