Mico's

i whent caching today with to of my mates and we covered 25 caches ,

good day yes it was but i recon about 19 of them where micros ,now i dont acctualy have a probb with micros but when you are say in a forrest a deep forrest and you find a stupid littel micro where they could easly be a large ammo can or even you could hide a container waggon .............................

yes this happned today the cache owner i wont name lets see if they come forward and explane why as they have all the other micros i mechiond :P

Yes I agree totally with this, Micro's are great in a town or built up area but when you are in the countryside put a box out. I do think that some people see it as a cheap option, as all you need to supply is some paper and if you are generous enough a pencil (Micro case free at Jessops).

Milton (aka Moote)

Horses for courses, just as it is up to the placer to place, it is up to the finder to choose which caches to look for. I quite like looking for micro's even in the woods, as they can be much more craftily hidden.

I feel it is a shame to critisise after you have found the cache, far better to read the description and then not bother visiting if micro's dont float your boat.

YEAH MICROS SUCK!! okay they might be good whilst doing a multi leading you to the cache box but the country side was made for one thing and one thing only to put lunch boxes filled with toys in to :P

But on the other note micros are cheap and easy to replace and are sometimes hard to find making it a bit of a challenge so im gonna say micros are cool but cache boxes are WICKED!!! :)

Edited by Da Rubber Chicken

I left a micro last week which no-one has visited yet. I decided to leave a micro for a change, the others I have left were all regular sized. The pill container cost £2.00, the sticker on the outside cost 50p. I then spent a bit of time creating an insert so that the finder can email to confirm they have found it. A 1 litre tupperware box in Woolworths cost 79p!

I chose a micro as I hadn't left one before, not because I was to mean to make a regular sized one. :P

I left a micro last week which no-one has visited yet. I decided to leave a micro for a change, the others I have left were all regular sized. The pill container cost £2.00, the sticker on the outside cost 50p. I then spent a bit of time creating an insert so that the finder can email to confirm they have found it. A 1 litre tupperware box in Woolworths cost 79p!

I chose a micro as I hadn't left one before, not because I was to mean to make a regular sized one. :P

Golum

I think we all have Micro's to our names, but some people actually propagate them all over the place. Some also just look as if they drove up parked, opened the window then chucked it into a verge. Most just pop into Jessops and ask for film cases saving buying a case. We do love Micro's I can point you to several really good ones, but basing all your placements on Micro's is usually bad.

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

I have placed three traditional caches and 5 micros (although two caches were muggled and are now micros). I think this is because I live in a city and it is just not easy to place a full size cache without significant risk of it being muggled at least once a year.

I must sat that I don’t like a cache, be it a micro or not, that has been placed without thought or effort. Finding the cache needs to be fun and challenging, or the location needs to be worth visiting for me to enjoy it.

My view is that a cache being a micro does not make it an unenjoyable cache, but I agree more unenjoyable caches are micros than not.

I will add that I am no fan of “Disposable” caches that are of little cost as they are expected to be muggled at some point.

Update : Silly typos :-)

Edited by alistair_uk

I just had a quick scan through all the local caches (SE Wales) within 30 miles = very few micros. The ones that are micro that we've found are either well-hidden or well-disguised. I really enjoyed :) hunting the micro micros in London a few weeks ago because it was very different from our usual "game". IMO, a good micro should be very hard to find, at least half an hour's search! :P Mrs B

I am considering another micro in a place which absolutely heaves with muggles!

I've wandered around the site a few times and there really aren't any places big enough for tupperware so I think a micro is the most appropriate size. I've also considered (am considering) another in the middle of town where again a lunchbox simply won't do...

I have never found an urban cache but I can imagine the difficulty of finding a suitable place (I was a city boy once... :P )

I prefer hiding caches to finding them and here in Cumbria there are hundreds of places that cry out for them! If a micro is the only option I'll leave one, although like Da Chicken I do like a big box full of goodies!

Just look at the Ratings - In general people don't enjoy micros - yet I bet they'ed scream if they were all removed. Good for getting the numbers up and good for placing in places where you think they may get muggled - In town centres for example.

I'm pretty certain that the micros I have hidden couldn't sensibly be replaced with anything larger, with one exception maybe. *Ponders*

I like the range - From micros to Ammo cans... each has a place...

Just look at the Ratings - In general people don't enjoy micros - yet I bet they'ed scream if they were all removed.  Good for getting the numbers up and good for placing in places where you think they may get muggled - In town centres for example.

I'm pretty certain that the micros I have hidden couldn't sensibly be replaced with anything larger, with one exception maybe. *Ponders*

I like the range - From micros to Ammo cans... each has a place...

Looked at some of the positions of your Micro's post, 3 are in Towns, so look great for Micro's, Tamar bridge looks like a really good one because it is by an historic bridge. You do have one in the countryside but that might be OK, you in no way have flooded the place with the things, a very nice spread indeed I think.

Milton (aka Moote)

Edited by Moote

Tamar bridge looks like a really good one because it is by an historic bridge

Thats a good example. A micro is the only option. Brunels Railway bridge is an amazing structure, especially when seen from River level. Yet it's in the Top 97% of caches! i.e it's not very popular, so whats the point of leaving it out?

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

Thats a good example. A micro is the only option. Brunels Railway bridge is an amazing structure, especially when seen from River level. Yet it's in the Top 97% of caches! i.e it's not very popular, so whats the point of leaving it out?

Well I'm down there over Christmas and would love to do it so please don't remove it :P Also I will promise that I will give it an honest write up and honest score on G:UK

Milton (aka Moote)

I can't believe that one's only in the top 97%! I loved that cache of yours. It was amazing looking up at the bridge from down there, especially after traveling over it so many times before.

Two of my ten active caches are micros. They're my two joint placements in Devon with Maz62. One is at a location that couldn't possibly sustain a larger container. The other is at a location where a larger container isn't possible at the spot we wanted to take people to. We considered a multi with a larger container elsewhere, but decided the whole area would be too risky, and the final container would have to be a drive away to be safe, so we settled for a film container.

Both of them get good logs, and we feel we made the right decision in placing micros.

When seeking caches, I'm quite happy with micros as long as they aren't in the middle of a forest! During the last few days I've found four caches, which as it happens were all micros, and I've enjoyed all of them (even if Maz did beat me to the find on the first two!).

Nothing wrong with placing micros if the area cannot support a larger container, or it has a high foot fall of people passing by.

I use this as a guide:

-If the area can take a larger container then place a larger container.

-If the area cannot take a larger container, then place a micro.

-If the area cannot take a micro, then make it a virtual. (although I don't think you can do this anymore)

I like well-hidden micro's, and even in the countryside they can work well. One of the best Cheshire caches I've found is a micro (and 5* difficulty) - there was certainly space nearby to hide a tupperware box but the way the micro was hidden was highly amusing. So I didn't think a bigger box would have made it any better. It's not about the size of container (to me), it's the whole experience: everyone is always saying how it's the walk or place visited that counts rather than the tupperware, anyway.

I think what some people are really talking about is not liking poor caches, or those that are microcaches simply because it was an easy option. Perhaps a poor micro is worse than a poor traditional cache: but it's not poor just because it's a micro.

I don't think anyone has to apologise because they've used a smaller container, although perhaps they might if they've not used any imagination when hiding it!

HH

I loved that cache of yours. It was amazing looking up at the bridge from down there, especially after traveling over it so many times before.

Nooo thats Tamar Bridges - on the Devon Side.. mine is The Right Side of the Tamar on the Saltash side... Though Spannermans rates only slightly higher...

Doh! (I remember now-yours is the one that Stuey couldn't find! :P)

Anyway, back on topic...

I think we've been lucky with the micros that we've done as I'd quite happily say that a lot of our favourite caches have been of the smaller variety.

Just adding my tuppence on a different view of the micro versus container issue.

We've only recently started caching and our team consists of me, my husband and our 3 year old son.

The poor lad gets sooo disappointed with micros as he absolutely loves the rummage around to see what he wants to take out.

Having toys in boxes is an absolutely wonderful way to teach him (and other young youngsters) to get out and enjoy walking in the countryside. Before discovering geocaching he just would not walk anywhere - insisted on the pushchair (big 3 wheeler so can go cross country) but since geocaching he will walk miles with the promise of "looking for treasure". We got him up a steep hill today in a freezing wind and he loved it (after he got over the initial tantrum :P ). If we ended up with a micro at the end of it more often than we have done he'd lose enthusiasm, so please do make sure the larger caches are placed. I'm sure as he gets older the thrill of the hunt will enthuse him, but at 3 he needs a bit more.

And - as a keen walker who used to walk miles and miles pre children, i'm so pleased we can get out into the country again!

VB

:)

mattwaggie wrote:

-If the area cannot take a micro, then make it a virtual. (although I don't think you can do this anymore)

Unfortunately that's true - virtuals are no longer accepted. I came across an object yesterday that would have made a truly stunning virtual, but it wouldn't be accepted. There's no chance of hiding even a micro anywhere in the vicinity, so that location is a caching no-go area now.

A recurring theme here, is that people are surprised and disappointed when finding a micro rather than a full-size cache. Are you sure that they weren't shown as Micro caches on the cache description page? This is puzzling - it's never happened to me.

:P

HH

It depends really, I have looked for Micro's which are in a suitable location or planned to be cunning but you knew that before setting off, then again you see a Micro listed and you know little about it other than what you read go there and you think Why? They could have put a big box there.

A good micro as you pointed out earlier today is Marylebone Station, but I had no idea at the time it was going to be as good as it is.

Then there are Micro's just placed in a large bowl in a tree whit loads of locations for something bigger close by, (don't want to name and shame that would be inappropriate).

You can't know every location in this country and therefore sometimes making a judgement on the cache can be hard until you actually arrive at the location, then I guess it becomes a come on lets just sign the log and move on moment.

Milton (aka Moote)

Moote,

I get your point about micros where there doesn't seem to be any advantage so it may as well be a regular cache.

I was trying to say that micros aren't necessarily worse than regular caches, and that they aren't obliged to be used only because a regular cache would be too obvious. So using the example again, it's clear that a regular cache could be placed at "Marylebone Station", but (IMO) the cunningly-hidden micro is much more fun. There are plenty of other examples too.

Obviously if you have kids and they need to find "treasure", you'd avoid too many micro caches - but the good ones are fun for kids too!

HH

Micros certainly have their place. Fruitty, Mattwaggie and I found a lot of them yesterday.

Let's start with the good:

A cunningly hidden one in a city centre that had us looking for a good while with coords of a trad in a nearby park.

A very clever and unique hide on a county lane which we all liked even though it frustrated us for a while. This area could easily have supported a trad, but the hide made up for it.

A well secreted micro only one minute off the A1(m), no place for a trad, ideal 'break your journey' cache.

The bad:

A micro shoved into a piece of tree bark in the middle of a very muddy wood with dodgy GPS coverage. A well hidden ammo can would've been a challenge to find.

The ugly:

A micro in a very busy layby littered with rubbish, picture posted elsewhere. The sad thing is, the area was interesting and we all enhoyed the walk to the final across an historic feature.

So, I feel micro's have their place, for sure and a smiley is a smiley. Keep those imaganitive, well placed, well hidden, 'great place, no room for a trad' micros coming, the more the merrier. Maybe less of the 'chuck the film cannister outa the window' one?

Nearly all of my caches are placed within Edinburgh, and I would like to think I have a good range of sizes of containers, going from having the smallest to the largest containers within Edinburgh.

I always go to the location first and see what size of container I can use. Always wanting to go bigger rather than smaller. But despite being in Edinburgh I have a few micros and small caches hidden in what can be described as a rural area, but it is so difficult to hide anything larger.

My very first cache was a 2 litre container, didn't get good feedback due to it's hiding location having offices across the canal from it. Not surprisingly it got muggled. I left it archived for a year, and then replaced it less than 100 metres away (not a large distance) as a micro (35 mm film canister). It now gets really good feedback. So there are times when a larger container can be hidden, but it just isn't practical to do so.

Bonnie and I have placed a couple of micros ( cache plug time :D ) along with a couple of normal size ones.....

A turnip for the books

New N Old/Tru N Bold

And if you read the logs ( some by seasoned cachers ) they have really enjoyed finding them. One has actually said that it was the best container he'd ever seen.....

Both of these sites could have supported a larger cache but we thought that we would put a bit of extra effort into the container to make it as ,if not more enjoyable, than a normal cache.

We have found quite a few micros and while I agree that a small percentage of them seem to be have been placed for the sake of it, most have been in great places which we have enjoyed visiting.

I think that there is a very good case for micros if they have been thought about....

I like well-hidden micro's, and even in the countryside they can work well. One of the best Cheshire caches I've found is a micro (and 5* difficulty) - there was certainly space nearby to hide a tupperware box but the way the micro was hidden was highly amusing. So I didn't think a bigger box would have made it any better. It's not about the size of container (to me), it's the whole experience: everyone is always saying how it's the walk or place visited that counts rather than the tupperware, anyway.

I think what some people are really talking about is not liking poor caches, or those that are microcaches simply because it was an easy option. Perhaps a poor micro is worse than a poor traditional cache: but it's not poor just because it's a micro.

I don't think anyone has to apologise because they've used a smaller container, although perhaps they might if they've not used any imagination when hiding it!

HH

Thanks, I have used a few micros... and not just for cost...In the right place they are fine. But double lock boxes take some beating. MaxKim

Mark and Lynn like micros as its about the find for us however if we do too many in a day the geokiddies get annoyed. Fortunately we can tell by looking at the waypoints on the GPS what container we are heading for so sometimes avoid micros.

We had a choice yesterday between finishing on a micro or regular and chose the regular as the kids had only had one swap in the day.

I just say that if you do not like them, do not bother to find them! Some of them we have found really quite devious and thats the challenge! Most of them are certainly not your usual neat pile of sticks or stones to locate thats for sure. That drilled out log takes a lot of beating, especially in a wood! :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic, but what is the general opinion of nano caches. My first though it that that tend to be so small for a reason, and a reason related to the challenge and not because of cost or the space to hide a cache. This though is based on hearsay as I have place one nano and never found or even looked for one elsewhere.

Slightly off topic, but what is the general opinion of nano caches. My first though it that that tend to be so small for a reason, and a reason related to the challenge and not because of cost or the space to hide a cache. This though is based on hearsay as I have place one nano and never found or even looked for one elsewhere.

I like nano caches, I have two placed in Edinburgh, and I can assure you they aren't placed due to cost or ease. They cost nearly £4 each, not a lot I know, but they also need a constant check on how many people have logged it, as I can only get 20 at a time on the logsheet inside it. So I frequently have to change the sheet inside.

I like nano caches, I have two placed in Edinburgh, and I can assure you they aren't placed due to cost or ease. They cost nearly £4 each, not a lot I know, but they also need a constant check on how many people have logged it, as I can only get 20 at a time on the logsheet inside it. So I frequently have to change the sheet inside.

Very good they are too. It was hard to see where else and how else a physical cache could be hidden at these locations any other way. Also shows that there are alternatives to virtuals that do work in almost any location.

Micros placed around the richmond north yorks area by ourselves and recently visited by your self (op)along with two other caches on your 25 in a day recent visit to our area have been placed for the following reason.

Having started caching in the above are there was very few (two in richmond) in the surrounding area yet the area is, historical, scenic and reasonably accesable from the A1 so we decided to do something about it. Laying caches out to complement the existing ones, placing them with views or walks that give views that visitors normally do not see and the caches do come in alll sizes. For example four micros you picked up lead to a large ammo boxed stuffed with the usual goodies and includes a picture history book of richmond that stays in the cache, unfortunatly you and the others did not complete the multi for what ever reason.Another reason for placing some micro`s is to link other peoples caches that lay on the edge of our area to richmonds.These caches usally involve a good walk and stunning views but because they are not in a cluster , number collectors do not usually go to them, so with micros along the road to those we hope to incourage more cachers to those locations. Laying micros between our own and other regular caches also links them for cachers who like to walk from cache to cache and that gives them a break along such walks. We also know cachers who have limited walking abilities, although they are not registered disabled, so we have put out drive by caches, usally with micros which will not be easily seen insitue or in hand by muggles. Micros laid in woodland are usally given a clue within the title or in crypt to aid the searcher to the hide and again the majority on a walk will lead you to a large cache container.

Hope the reply is not over long and recieved as the answer to your question and not percieved as a criticsm of it, for often in print feelings and meanings can be miscrued. To you or any cacher planning a visit to richmond please contact us or some of the new cachers in our area for cache should you require cache info. Colin wrote this reply and linda is rickspoonkable for any errors or spelling mistakes as she is at work and not here to edit. :ph34r::lol::ph34r:

Micros certainly have their place. Fruitty, Mattwaggie and I found a lot of them yesterday.

Let's start with the good:

A cunningly hidden one in a city centre that had us looking for a good while with coords of a trad in a nearby park.

A very clever and unique hide on a county lane which we all liked even though it frustrated us for a while. This area could easily have supported a trad, but the hide made up for it.

A well secreted micro only one minute off the A1(m), no place for a trad, ideal 'break your journey' cache.

The bad:

A micro shoved into a piece of tree bark in the middle of a very muddy wood with dodgy GPS coverage. A well hidden ammo can would've been a challenge to find.

The ugly:

A micro in a very busy layby littered with rubbish, picture posted elsewhere. The sad thing is, the area was interesting and we all enhoyed the walk to the final across an historic feature.

So, I feel micro's have their place, for sure and a smiley is a smiley. Keep those imaganitive, well placed, well hidden, 'great place, no room for a trad' micros coming, the more the merrier. Maybe less of the 'chuck the film cannister outa the window' one?

The good, the difficuty rating needed a micro and as our larger post points out micros in the area have been placed for a number orf reasons.

The bad, the micro led to a large ammo box as part of a multi, the title and clue helps on this find.

The ugly, the title will give away the hide and should not have cachers looking in the wrong place and as you say it is part of other caches. The council do clear the area you photographed and we also take the trash out of our area when informed and do take trash out other peoples cache areas.

The feedback, from yourself and others who log of course are acted upon and we will revisit the ones you and the others may have had reservations about, one already as been altered. One where you readings were away from the hide was easily found by cacher the next day and our etrex took me back to it today,so do gps vary that much.