Lots Of Cash In A Cache.

Has anyone found a lot of money in a cache??? There is a lot of money in this cache and was wondering if anyone has some links to others like this one.

Waypoint: GCHREH

There is a lot of other things in the cache like a camera, a model car, some postcards etc...

I meant ot post this in the "The Hunt / The Unusual" area can some one move it for me

Edited by Selina_and_Eric

At an event I attended, one of the participants told a story of when she was looking for a cache, she found a plastic sack under some things by a log. So thinking it was the cache, she picked it up and brought it to her car. When she opened it, she found several hundred dollars and a small collection of drugs.

In her story she said she brought the things to the police immediately, but I often wonder... :rolleyes:

Jamie

actually, that's what got me into geocaching...

...when I started reading the cache-pages, it seemed as if there is

hundreds and hundreds of dollars out there...

...turns out that you have to be FTF or STF or TTF, and even so it is only

20 buxx... most *real* caching days I spend more then that in gas alone!!!

geocaching ain't gonna make you rich :D

I was out in the Jackson, WY area back in August, and, reading thru the logs at the time for some local ID and WY caches in that area along the ID/WY border, I noticed that a local Idaho cacher had recently placed $100 bills as trade items in at least two local caches. We never bothered going after those caches, as we were busy placing some extreme caches, but we did stumble upon a cache along the ID/WY border (near Teton Pass) in which someone had left three gift certificates for restaurant in nearby Victor, Idaho which is locally rather famous. We took nothing, leaving the gift certificates for someone who would really enjoy them, and left a $1 bill as a trade item. Which reminds me, we have never left large sums of money in a cache (although we once left 6 custom imprinted T-shirts at the Blood & Guts in Virginia cache), but we often leave a $1 bill or some foreign currency (Indian rupees or Nicaraguan bills) in caches as trade items.

Any onther caches people know about with money in it or valuables ?

There should be an icon for this in the caches.. just like the travel big and geocoin caches have. Say any geocache with lots of cash or items of more then $50 value .. Like a dollar sign next to it or something.. even if the treasure is for FTF

any onther caches?? anyone??

Edited by Selina_and_Eric

There should be an icon for this in the caches.. just like the travel big and geocoin caches have. Say any geocache with lots of cash or items of more then $50 value .. Like a dollar sign next to it or something.. even if the treasure is for FTF

That would be pretty cool! Actually I first heard about geocaching on the television program, can't remember what it was on... but anyway, it was talking about some caches containing money. It'd be great to find some in a cache, but the feeling of finally finding the cache after lots of time spent looking is the best part!

That would be pretty cool! Actually I first heard about geocaching on the television program, can't remember what it was on... but anyway, it was talking about some caches containing money. It'd be great to find some in a cache, but the feeling of finally finding the cache after lots of time spent looking is the best part!

My opinion is much the same. I do not cache for reasons of monetary gain, although the presence of oney can make a cache more fun to watch (add to watchlist, etc.) We have never gone after a cache because it contained money, and, in fact, I have passed up seeking nearby caches which I knew contained significant sums of money in order to do things closer to my heart, such as placing an extreme geocache in backcountry. So, it adds one more fun element, but no more, for me. It is fun watching the scramble to find any kind of significant prize, not just money!

actually, that's what got me into geocaching...

...when I started reading the cache-pages, it seemed as if there is

hundreds and hundreds of dollars out there...

...turns out that you have to be FTF or STF or TTF, and even so it is only

20 buxx... most *real* caching days I spend more then that in gas alone!!!

geocaching ain't gonna make you rich :ninja:

What does TTF stand for?? can not find that HERE

Hello hunters!

I am a producer for CBS News and I would like to interview someone who will be looking for a cache in NYC. I would also like to talk to someone who has sponsored a cache in the city. Are there any recommendations or volunteers?

Thanks for your help.

Megan

Feel free to contact me: mwarren@cbs.com

Edited by hllyhobbie

I changed my mind about having the icon for caches with cash or other big items in it.. I have choosen the route to make the caches that I set that have a lot of money or big items in them to be MOC.. I did a search on other MOC caches in my area and it seems that they seem to lean more to the quality caches I was looking for.. not all MOC caches have anything great in them but the people looking for them have more love for geocaching and tend to be nicer to the cache then non-members seem to be..

Thanks for the exclusion, S&E! In my area, non-members create and maintain at least as many of the 'better' caches as members. In fact, I have a 5/5 out there now with a FTF prize of pure gold bullion (currently amounting to 1/10 oz.). I really appreciate when someone proves a cache of mine CAN be found.

Well, I FTF'd a cache that contained several dollar bills and a $10 lottery ticket. I didn't take the bills or the ticket, and opted for a plastic stegosaurus... Wasn't sure why there was money in the cache (other than "Where's George" dollars I've found before). Seemed risky. But now that I read this thread it clears things up.

On one of my hides I left $0.02 as a FTF prize.

Of course, it was a 2 cent coin minted in 1865! (1865 was important to the cache.)

Paul

I placed a high swag cache. Everything in it is worth between $5-$10. No one will find it by accident, and there is in all at least $100 worth of swag in the box. Though I posted to trade even or up......first cacher took a $8 rappalla fishing lure and left a sea shell. Sigh.

Of course, it was a 2 cent coin minted in 1865! (1865 was important to the cache.)

Paul

I placed a high swag cache. Everything in it is worth between $5-$10. No one will find it by accident, and there is in all at least $100 worth of swag in the box. Though I posted to trade even or up......first cacher took a $8 rappalla fishing lure and left a sea shell. Sigh.

Well, at least a sea shell is not as bad as a broken and dirty McToy! Some folks just do not get it, I guess!

:)<_<:)

Paul

I found that post kind of freaky, because just a week or so ago I found an 1865 two cent piece with my metal detector in a park filled with caches. :( It was actually around 800 ft or so from one of them. :D

oldestcoins.jpg

Our newest Psycho Urban Cache, called Psycho Urban Cache #11 - Strange Island Getaway (GCVJ29; it is premium-member-only), and which is a multi located on two islands in a rough river, was published today (on 4/23/2006) and it contained a ten dollar bill and an unregistered Signal the Frog 2006 Geocoin as the FTF and 2TF prizes. Best of all, although the cache was found today by the first three finders, they chose to take only the Signal the Frog geocoin and they deliberately and kindly left the $10 bill for a later finder, so it is still waiting there for someone else! By the way, these three early finders really paid their dues today in finding this two-stage cache -- the river was almost two feet over the danger level set by NOAA and MD DNR for use of the river by humans in watercraft, and they were soaking tire, wet, muddy and quite bloody by the time they finished the challenge! (Better yet, Sue and I were there and we got to watch all the fun!) :laughing::unsure:

"On one of my hides I left $0.02 as a FTF prize.

Of course, it was a 2 cent coin minted in 1865! (1865 was important to the cache.)"

HOLY BLEEP!

I just googled for "1865 2 cent piece" and found an Ebay auction for that coin that ended at $4,450.02!

Edited by Sparrowhawk

"On one of my hides I left $0.02 as a FTF prize.

Of course, it was a 2 cent coin minted in 1865! (1865 was important to the cache.)"

HOLY BLEEP!

I just googled for "1865 2 cent piece" and found an Ebay auction for that coin that ended at $4,450.02!

Yes, that must have been my coin! :- )

Mine went for about $15-$20 plus about $5 shipping if I recall...

Paul