Virtual Visit!

daytribe

Interesting idea, but isn't that sort of like cheating?    :)

If you think it is cheating then you are taking life too serious B)

Milton (aka Moote)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't have a strong opinion on it either way.

It was just an off the cuff remark. :)

I only really wanted to know what a virtual visit was anyway. B)

Interesting idea, but isn't that sort of like cheating?    :)

If you think it is cheating then you are taking life too serious B)

Milton (aka Moote)

So what is the point of it? :)

I may as well stay at home in front of my computer and virtually log a few caches. Then for good measure enter a few random Travel Bug numbers and log them too! B)

If you dont find it, then you can't log it. That's the principle of the thing isn't it?

Edited by adrianjohn
Occasionally I see logs on caches that say they are a virtual visit.

That depends if they are logged "notes" or logged "Found it". You can do as many notes as you like as far as I am concerned, but if people log "Found" when they've not been there, then that isn't right... not that I care :) it's not my figures that are being affected.

I was wondering how so many people have several sought-after icons on their profiles! It's SO disappointing to find out how it was done. :)

I'm pleased to say that I don't take the game quite as seriously as those who are so keen to get the icons. It's a pity that they have to bend the "rules" to bypass the inconvenience of actually getting out and finding these things! I feel that the game is degraded a little now for me. :)

HH

(edit to break down long sentence)

Edited by Happy Humphrey
I want the new EU icon, but I will wait till I can see one in the flesh.

Like I said everyone plays their own way :)

well brian it is not long to saturday is it!!!

I would never log a cache I've not found but will play with virtual TBs and Virtual Coins

But we all have different ways we play the game After HH's role in a certain TB race :) I could also quote him

It's a pity that they have to bend the "rules" .................. I feel that the game is degraded a little now for me.

But as I was told at the time it is only a game

So if you want to collect virtual TBs and coins great - E mail me seperately about coins no's

Bob

Leaves stage left muttering to himself

Having put a lot of work into the EU coin, I have to say I'm a bit peeved that people can get the icon just by logging the number from their armchair.

Having said that, I'm the biggest proponent of the "it's only a game" ideal and have posted many times on these forums that as long as you are comfortable with how you play the game then it's none of any one elses business.

So log Moote's EU coin if you feel comfortable with that, but those who wait to see one in the flesh can have that extra feeling of smugness.

Go seek one out. They are worth seeing. No one yet has been able to get a photo of one that does the coin justice.

alex.

I'm the biggest proponent of the "it's only a game" ideal

...and I think you have the right approach: but if it's only a game, why not play it the way it's supposed to be played? The idea of having a separate tracking number for travel bugs and coins was to discourage logging of things that you hadn't actually found.

Only those that take things too seriously will try to find a way around this. I don't really have a problem with that (although it may occasionally annoy me and other geocachers to a minor extent), but will those people please recognise that they might be getting a little too obsessed with the "treasure" at the expense of the "hunt"!

I can also vouch for the quality of these EU coins, which are second to none in my experience :rolleyes:

HH

Even though I posted my coin numbers in the public domain in our local SF bay area forum it was intended for locals that would have the opportunity to see them physically at an event at some point in the future.

I've asked that my coin numbers not be sent out anymore and added a note to the local forum posts that I only expect locals, who plan to see them in person, to log them.

I didn't have that requirement there originally since I didn't expect them to get out like this but I have since added the new requirement to each post.

As with most games at amateur level, you can only cheat yourself. :blink:

It's like knocking strokes of your round of golf!

(don't have time for golf anymore btw. Unlike caching it used to spoil a good walk).

Can't see the point of logging things that you haven't found just to get an Icon!

But hey, whatever lights your candle.

There are no prizes to be won in our game, that I am aware of.

To be honest I'm not a collector of coins, I like the idea of TB's and enjoy moving them on but the kids would rather find a well stocked cache of plastic "Tat" don't think I'll never get away with "Virtual Tat".. .. <_<

..."here kids come and fight over this imaginary plastic toy" <_<

Cheers

Dave

I place a white jeep in my new cache. The FTF shows up and swaps it for another white jeep. I re-vist the cache, take the new jeep's tracking number but leave the jeep i there for the next finder. Since I didn't take the new jeep is this a virtual or a real find. Is it cheating ?.

I place a white jeep in my new cache. The FTF shows up and swaps it for another white jeep. I re-vist the cache, take the new jeep's tracking number but leave the jeep i there for the next finder. Since I didn't take the new jeep is this a virtual or a real find. Is it cheating ?.

I grabbed a stencil bug and dropped it back into the same cache.

You went you found you logged sounds OK to me. This is a variation to the game

Sitting at your computer and logging one virtually does however seem pointless.

A can of worms it certainly is, and like arguments about football, politics and religion, you'll never get everyone agreeing.

Although I can understand that some people feel that you should have physically found or held the coin in order to log it, I see nothing wrong with virtual logging if that's what the coin owner is happy with (mainly as a number of owners are reluctant to release the coin in case it never returns).

However, I do find it odd that people feel this way, but then quite happily go and log finds for caches such as Radio KAOS (where you have to listen to a radio program and email some answers..never having left your chair), and Änglamarken where you just sit at your PC and find an imaginary cache and claim it as a traditional cache find!

Isn't this a bit of a case of double standards?

Russ

Isn't this a bit of a case of double standards?

Russ,

The difference is, that people log real geocoins as if they're virtuals, which kind of devalues the whole geocoin-collecting game just a tad. Not a big deal, but it just slightly diminishes it for others. If there are some genuine virtual geocoins out there, then I can't see any problem with that at all - but I haven't seen any yet! Do you want to set one up? I wonder if Groundspeak would give it a unique icon? ;)

The virtual/locationless caches you mention were designed to be logged like that (Änglamarken does have a real cache as well, but it's two caches really: I guess you can log it twice if you find the physical one as well!).

It might be double standards if anyone refuses to log a geocoin that they haven't found but then logs a physical cache that they haven't found!

HH