Nanocaches

I think it's just fine the way it is. A bison cylinder is a micro in my mind. It having a different title wouldn't make me want to find it any more or less.

There are probably half a dozen different sizes of ammo cans, and hundreds of sizes of tupperware. If sizes were to be added for every different unique size of container then there would be too many.

I like it the way it is now, simple and informative.

If it is smaller than 1" in length and 1/4" in diameter, it should be classified as a Nano.

I don't see how anything smaller than this could hold a logsheet. Well, I guess the 1" is wide enough for the sheet, but trying to roll it up to be less than 1/4" is tough. To be a real cache, the container has to be able to hold a logsheet. I have found small magnetic containers that measure 3/8" in length and 3/8" in diameter, but those were parts of multis that only held a little slip of paper with the next stage's coordinates.

If it is smaller than 1" in length and 1/4" in diameter, it should be classified as a Nano.

I don't see how anything smaller than this could hold a logsheet. Well, I guess the 1" is wide enough for the sheet, but trying to roll it up to be less than 1/4" is tough. To be a real cache, the container has to be able to hold a logsheet. I have found small magnetic containers that measure 3/8" in length and 3/8" in diameter, but those were parts of multis that only held a little slip of paper with the next stage's coordinates.

Here is one, unfortunately they are out there, I found one today. They unscrew and a log 1/4 inch wide and 10 inches long fits in there just fine. And so it goes.2bf4cf01-b62e-4ba4-8de5-c81c4dee4f83.jpg

Here is one, unfortunately they are out there, I found one today. They unscrew and a log 1/4 inch wide and 10 inches long fits in there just fine. And so it goes.2bf4cf01-b62e-4ba4-8de5-c81c4dee4f83.jpg

I found one similar to that in Chico at this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4b-97cedfd798e3

It's an incredibly small magnetic container. I used the tweezers on my little Swiss Army Knife to remove the log.

these nano caches are my forte,they can be purchased through oriental trading as flashing earring jewelry for .88$ or through www.floridageocaching.com as mr magneto's for 3$,suit yourselves i'm just an oregon hider and these things are "NANO" micro's,a 35mm cannister here in oregon is considered a small,and a five gallon bucket a luxury.whatcha gonna say now?

2bf4cf01-b62e-4ba4-8de5-c81c4dee4f83.jpg

I just got about half a dozen of those.

And I've found the place to put the first one. It's just a matter of time before I do.

They can be painted with a silver sharpie and end up being Almost the color of a guard rail.

I recently purchased 8 of those on eBay. I fitted them with laminated coordinates and they will become part of a 9 point multi across a 6 mile area. Good times.

Yup, there has been a fad of hiding the "blinkers" (the nanocaches smaller than most fingernails) in the first 6 months of this year in the San Francisco Bay Area. For the most part, they've been hidden with common sense, which means they are visible in plain sight.

Your GPSr's accuracy is in feet, not in fraction of an inch. :ph34r:

These things can be a maintenance nightmare, as the log sheets become full very quickly. It wouldn't be fair to ask us to write like Buddhist monks who can fit hundreds of characters on a rice grain. <_<

It also requires the finder to roll up the log sheet very carefully before replacing which can be time consuming.

They are practical to use if you need to place an intermediate stage of a multi in an environment where larger containers can't be hidden well. Otherwise, I predict the novelty will wear off very quickly for both the finders and the hiders.

For me, bison tubes are considered good micros - not too small, weather-proof, allow more creative attachments, and fit larger log sheets to save on maintenance trips. It still requires the finders to roll up the log sheets carefully, though.

As for the OP's question, I'm against adding a new container type for nanos. It should be up to the hider to mention the specifics of the container size (or not, depending on the intent) in the listing.

Edited by budd-rdc

The guts of one of my caches is a section of a BIC pen. There's also the tiny ID capsule for pets you can get at PetSmart. It holds a small sheet of paper.

That just wrong, just plain wrong :rolleyes:  :ph34r:

Realy wrong if that cacher that is going to place 9 of these for a multi in a 6 square mile area places them "in the woods", I mean come on..!!!!!

Cry havoc! None of them will be in the woods though. I intend to make this a wheelchair accessible cache also.

I think that is a cool idea since they will work in places with a lot of foot traffic.

How low can you go? Ammo cans or not at all. I take school kids caching, and without the swag it's "a rip off, how cheap . . .". I know, the thrill of the hunt, but kids want STUFF. It's the hidden treasure aspect that jazzes them up. One more pill bottle, one more film can. Enough! Ammo cans, man!

That pic looks VERY familiar.

I don't have a problem with those. They are magentic and I've never seen one that wasn't stuck to a metallic object, usually in plain site. Until they start making trees out of steel, I doubt we'll see very many of these in the woods.

How low can you go? Ammo cans or not at all. I take school kids caching, and without the swag it's "a rip off, how cheap . . .".

I take kids out too . . . you know you can avoid caching any of the small stuff by choosing the caches that you elect to explore.

My kids have 'learned' to love the challenge of the hunt and the joy of finding a micro/nano . . . they holler out loud, as if they have discovered gold.

Of course, they are 6 years & older and I have influenced them, somewhat. It's just that the swag gets to be 'me too' very quickly, same stuff and boring . . . it is the hunt & joy of the find that make it fun.

My kids have 'learned' to love the challenge of the hunt and the joy of finding a micro/nano . . . they holler out loud, as if they have discovered gold.

I teach middle schoolers in a 3 week mini course. They're really quite mercenary about caching. Some kids just don't get " the thrill of the hunt". It's all about getting there first and getting the goods. Some kids, just like real people, will develop into life-long cachers with respect for the gestalt of the game. I still like ammo cans better.

Here is one, unfortunately they are out there, I found one today.  They unscrew and a log 1/4 inch wide and 10 inches long fits in there just fine.  And so it goes.2bf4cf01-b62e-4ba4-8de5-c81c4dee4f83.jpg

That pic looks VERY familiar.

I don't have a problem with those. They are magentic and I've never seen one that wasn't stuck to a metallic object, usually in plain site. Until they start making trees out of steel, I doubt we'll see very many of these in the woods.

I have seen two of those attached to trees!

Smaller than one second in length ?! That's quite big!! (unless you're too near the poles)

But I hear that they're good for numbers runs; you can find 60 of them in a minute!

The biggest problem with most of those nano-caches (pet identification tubes and those little round ones that I've found a few times) is getting the log in and out. However, they work great as waypoints since less paper is generally needed. The "micro" category is still good, and if you think the finder needs to know that it's a really small micro then you can make a note of it on the cache page.

I think that micro covers it well enough, and I agree with the poster that said if you hide a "nano," then please note it in the cache description.

I prefer ammo can size caches, and larger. I recently did the biggest cache container I have ever found, in Phoenix while on a trip out there. When the cache owner said "Mine's bigger than most" he wasn't kidding at all, and he proved that size does matter. :D