Whats The Farthest Cache You Have Hunted

cad-guy

I am realtively new at geocaching, and am right now just looking for caches locally, but I can see how a person might want to travel to get some caches. I am curious, how far have you traveled from home, just to get a cache. I don't mean you happen to be on vacation, and start looking, but really just how far to get a FTF or a travel bug or something.

Just curious

As others have suggested, I suppose there is a slight difference between traveling to find a cache and finding a cache while traveling. However, since we started geocaching, we always check before leaving on any trip to see if there are caches we will be able to hunt.

As a result, our farthest find is 2,460 miles away. Here's the bad news: we also logged a DNF that is 2,191 miles from our home coordinates, with little chance of going back for a second try!

I live in Harrisburg, PA and I went with three other locals to score the oldest cache in PA, which is in Erie.. I dunno, 200 or 250 miles one way? I've also done a run to Maryland, but that wasn't much more than 125 miles one way. But these were some special caches we really wanted to hit - the "top 10%" that the areas had to offer. For example, the Maryland trip was to score the Project APE cache there. I don't go very far out of my way for lamp post micros or parking lot hides. In fact, most times turning off the main road into the parking lot is even too far to go for those. <_<

Hmmm, depends how I look at it.

I once went to a place 60 miles away for a "caching morning" - no other purpose. (between the ride out, the time there, and the ride back, I located about a dozen caches.) Trips further have always been multi-purpose, but do they count if I suggested the other purpose just to get the family to come along while I really went caching?

I check the local lists and slowly expand to find as many near local caches as I can. When I get an opportunity to travel for whatever reason I check to see what caches will be nearby, so I have a good reason to explore the new neighborhood, and meet the locals. My furthest was 7240.5mi from my home coordinates. This did involve getting updated local maps for my GPS, as detailed maps were not available in Japan. <_<

50 miles to complete a shortcut multi cache and 21 miles total hiking to complete 1 cache - 6 visits and yes a DNF for each visit (it was a 12 step multi). A majority of caches I have found have been VERY close to the parking spot. I am working in a circle from my home going out. Being in an urban setting it gets hard to find a long hike cache.

I live in NY and travelled to both Nashville and Jacksonville specifically for geocaching (and hopefully Texas next year). You might call them "geo-vacations." I hitched a ride with some friends who were going to Montreal once just so *I* could grab a cache. I've also gone to MD just to cache and frequently drive to Erie PA to cache (175 miles) just for a day. There are tons of caches around me that I haven't found, but I love to travel. Love of travel (specifically in the car) and geocaching are a deadly combination. =)

I tend to stick to local caches in the winter though, as I hate driving in the snow. Bleh.

Edited by OurWoods

I went out and put about 500 miles on my car in 1 day just to go out caching. I went out into a remote area of extreme NW Kansas/SW Nebraska/E Colorado. Many of those miles were on isolated dirt road. Went for miles without seeing a car that wasn't parked at one of the handful of farm houses. Ended up being gone about 13 hours and only got about 10 caches. But it was loads of fun into an area that I had never been into before. Its the one area in that part of the word that qualifies as rugged terrain.

But that was back when gas was around $2 a gallon.

Okay -- I'll share...

I specifically purchased plane tickets to fly to Chicago on Sat, Sept 17, to find the APE cache (Mission 12:Blind Canal) located nearby. That's 372.3 miles from my home in Nashville.

On Saturday evening, I flew from Chicago to Baltimore MD to find the APE cache (Mission 7:Crab Creek) near that city on Sunday, Sept 18. The mileage difference between those two caches is 605 miles.

On Sunday evening I returned home to Nashville, TN which is 574.2 miles from Baltimore.

So I traveled 1552.5 miles in one weekend specifically to find 2 caches. (Of course I picked up a few more in each place -- 5 in IL and 15 in MD -- but the PURPOSE of the trip was to find the two Project APE caches.

So to sum up:

Airline Tickets: $35 to Chicago, $75 dollars to Baltimore, $54 dollars to Nashville (gotta LUV Southwest!!!)

Hotel: $100

Car: $25

Gas: $40

Time spent laughing and caching with friends: priceless

Can everyone do this? No. But I am lucky that I had some extra money saved up, had a free weekend and have some great caching friends that I met up with in both places. Will I do this often? Probably not, but it was a He** of a lot of fun doing it once!!!

Specifically to find a cache (or Travel Bug)? From home? Thirty three miles to grab a bug! I needed the bug to find a cache. I did take a geocaching vacation. That would seem to qualify. Naw. We specifically took the vacation to log the APE cache: Mission 7: Crab Creek That's 'SW 183.4mi from your home coordinates.'

The furthest cache on that trip was: I-79 TB Rest Stop . 'W 300.7mi from your home coordinates.' But that was an add on. We cached in New Jersey. Delaware, Maryland, D of C, West Virginia and Pennsylania. And enjoyed it! But the APE cache was the reason for the trip.

I'm not sure exactly how far it was but I found a cache in the Fiji Islands and I live in Spokane Washington. OK, OK, I wasn't there for the cache - went for the diving but did manage one cache which was very close to where we boarded a boat to get from one island to the next. My guess? About 14000 miles.

I'm not sure exactly how far it was but I found a cache in the Fiji Islands and I live in Spokane Washington. OK, OK, I wasn't there for the cache - went for the diving but did manage one cache which was very close to where we boarded a boat to get from one island to the next. My guess? About 14000 miles.

Seattle Washington to Suva Fiji is 5,827 miles...

Though not soley for caching, but certainly a high priority are my European visits. Most recently was the Czech Republic and the UK, last year UK, Germany and Austria, before that UK, Germany and Belgium. I just booked an Easter flight to Munich for no other purpose than to use frequent flyer miles before the airline goes under, and to go geocaching and beer sampling. I live in Maryland.

I live near Rochester NY, and for the past 2 years I have taken the first two weeks of September to go to Missouri for caching. (oh yea, and visit my parents :P ) That's just about a 900+ mile trip, and there are some great caches all along the way there and back.

But the furthest I have gone for a single cache is a 3 hour drive from Rochester to a bit beyond Old Forge NY (The Adirondacks). Alaska Rose and I made a weekend of it, and grabbed a few other caches, and a stack of brochures for future visits.

Other than that, I keep it to about 30ish miles. And with gas prices the way they are, I shoot for a cluster where I can park and hunt several just by hiking to them.

As my geocaching name eludes to, I am a full time RV'er. That is, I live in my motorhome all of the time. Normally I winter in south Texas, but occasionally in southern California or Southern Florida. All of my caches are traveled to and at the same time searched for while travelling. (Does that make sense). I have found caches in Key West Florida, St. Johns, Newfoundland, SanDiego, California, and our furthest north at Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. We could see the polar ice cap from shore at the end of the Dalton Highway and logged a First to Find (Never Saddle A Dead Horse).

Always caching away from home or while at home depending on your point of view. :ph34r:

:P

Now that we are talking distance from home only (no vacations) how far or long did you have to hike or bike in miles/hours to log a find from where you left your car??? :)

I don't have a car.

I don't remember how far I've gone just to get a cache.

I once did a ~140 mile roundtrip ride (two days) and managed 3 DNFs and 0 finds :ph34r: , although that was a charity ride for the American Lung Assosciation and there were caches along the way.

As far as caching-only rides, I'd throw out 35 or 40 miles as a rough estimate of my longest ride, although I generally try to make my rides into loops rather than out-and-back rides, because those are just plain boring...

My shortest caching-only ride that I've done thus far is 2.3 mi RT.

Happy caching

Jeff