Music On Cache Pages

There is a way to do it, but I must encourage you to not do it unless there is a "button" for the page-viewer to push to hear the song.

I have a very slow dialup connection (24K) and having music load at the same time the page is loading REALLY slows down my browser.

geoholic,

You are about to be flamed by 38 people who will say "please don't use sound on your cache page" in 38 different ways, many of which wil not be nearly as polite as idiosyncratic. Please don't take it personally. It is meant in a loving way, as when my mom reminded me not to pick my nose in public. It is two weeks later and I am still mad at her about that.

Somewhere around reply number 22, a helpful webhead will explain that you'll need to link to a sound file hosted offsite, using the html command for a background sound. This responsive answer to your question will be lost in the shuffle, so be alert for it!

To the next 38 posters, please be gentle. He is just asking a question is all.

For that 1/2 minute while it is downloading and playing, it can slow my downloading of other information to a crawl . . . so, using a button would be best.

I know this has been brought up before, so if you do a forum search, you should find where this was addressed in detail, including the HTML code that is necessary.

Oi! You! Frog-headed Bubblestein! Stop picking your nose this instant!

Geoholic, bear in mind naughty people who cruise geocaching.com from work, too, and shouldn't oughta. Whenever something unexpected and obviously not work-related comes tumbling out of my cubicle, I say the magic badwords. You don't want me saying bad words, do you?

This should help.

It even has it's own disclaimer:

Before you go any further, think hard: Do you really want to do this? Background sounds have a way of annoying people. There someone is, happily surfing the net, when suddenly their computer starts playing music for everyone to hear, perhaps everyone in the office area, who are now finding out that our formerly happy surfer isn't really working
Edited by JMBella
Somewhere around reply number 22, a helpful webhead will explain that you'll need to link to a sound file hosted offsite, using the html command for a background sound. This responsive answer to your question will be lost in the shuffle, so be alert for it!

To the next 38 posters, please be gentle. He is just asking a question is all.

Do I have to wait that long? :):)

For now I throw my name in as one who says please please link to the file and don't make it play automatically. Music on pages is really annoying! With a link to it you give people a choice. :)

<Font size=+2>Music Controller</font size><br>

<embed src="Insert URL of Midi file or Wav File" Autostart=FALSE Width=144 Height=56 Loop=false></center></p>

The key is the Autostart=FALSE - that will make it so that you actually have to click on the play button on the music to make it play.

Example in action.

Edited by Markwell
<Font size=+2>Music Controller</font size><br>

<embed src="Insert URL of Midi file or Wav File" Autostart=FALSE Width=144 Height=56 Loop=false></center></p>

The key is the Autostart=FALSE - that will make it so that you actually have to click on the play button on the music to make it play.

Example in action.

You didn't blink and miss this post, did ya?

It was the one Keystone warned you about.

Now I think we have about another 25 flames...

DON'T PUT MUSIC ON YOUR CACHE PAGE!!!

Some people (not me, of course) waste time at work by web surfing. Those who are addicted to geocaching (not me, of course) may visit GC.com during work hours. For them, music that plays automatically is a pain--and so unnecessary!

ok ok 21 if i counted right (see EDIT)

PLEASE DO NOT PUT MUSIC ON YOU CACHE PAGE!!!

the reason..

i have music going on my computer ( head phones) when ever i am on and web page music

well you know what that does..

sorry...

EDIT: ok so

this fourm is now serving 20

beaten to it!! by 1 min!!!! :)

Edited by Charles Iverson
Now - don't do it.

How many are we up to?

Enough, I should think. :) Hopefully, by now the OP should have enough information to make an informed deicision to go ahead and do it anyway. :D

Is there any requirement that we actually have 38, Keystone? :D Maybe someone could search and see if there's anything in the 'guidelines' or the 'creed'. I'm not too up on that, myself. :D

Don't do it. For the love of little green apples, PLEASE!

Hey if it makes any difference now, I had the same thought and searched (rather poorly) the forums but fearing that I was about to get eaten alive by the folks here (a majority are real PROS, it's scary) I sent an email to Keystone who is my local approver and he was able to provide some helpful input. I would suggest contacting your local approver for help on cache listings in a private email, cut out the middleman and go straight to the supplier.