Mean Logs

I am working on using a deodorant stick container for a intermediate on a multicache or possibly the final. I thought it was water tight, but every time I put a piece of paper in it and leave it sit outside, the cap and paper are moist inside. I can't quite figure out how it leaks moisture, but doesn't leak under a foot of water...

If the size of the gluestick is the issue, where I will be placing this container, nothing larger than this will fit.

Well, if it's the perfect size/shape for the location, and you can't find something else that's water-tight that WILL fit the location, I'd go with the "intermediate stage for a multi" idea. Put the coords to the next stage/final cache on a laminated paper where it wouldn't really matter if it got damp inside.

But in reality even in the worst places I haven't quite privately thought all that. Likely because I tend to brush it off. Although the dumpster comment is pretty accurate. :)

I also recently noted the "interesting camoflage" for a cache (in a trashy area behind a beer box). I didn't leave a log trying to suggest other things though on that one since it wasn't in my area. I just brushed that one off (and it did actaully have a very nice container and such).

For the record, here's one of mine, there are more but I don't feel like looking for 'em.

May 1, 2004 by JMBella (1009 found)

Wow, what a phenomenal location and a great hike to the cache. Found with no problem. I hope that container holds up, they tend not to last too long.

Took: Matchbox car

Left: Benz

Thanks for a great cache.

Received one? No. Left one? Well, I'll let you be the judge of that. Here's the worst I've ever left:

Guess we're the first DNF on this one. The GPS was of no help other than leading us to the greenbelt - once we were in the trees, it couldn't seem to tell which side of the greenbelt it was on let alone where the cache was. We searched around for a while using the hint, but didn't find anything. There was TONS of garbage on the ground, and the whole area seemed to smell of urine. Should have brought the CITO bags from the other cache, I guess. Anyway, we were getting pretty grossed out, and I may have stepped on a bee's nest, so we gave up. We'll try it again eventually.

I tried to exercise tact there, but that cache was just not very good. The little greenbelt the cache was located in had an unbelievable amount of garbage in it. I could hardly look for the cache because I hadn't brought latex gloves, and even if I had had gloves, I wouldn't have wanted to go poking around under all the garbage in there - who knows what I would've found! I wasn't exaggurating about the whole area smelling of urine either - I don't know how it got that bad, but it was pretty awful. It wasn't that the scent was overpowering or anything, it was just that it was inescapable near what I believe to be the cache area.

Bleh.

Anyway, I think the important thing is that while tact is good when entering logs, it's also good to pay attention to what people say about your cache, even if they don't say it in the nicest way.

On another note - about golfball caches - don't drill into golfballs unless you're sure you know what you're doing. They may shatter, and many of the newer ones are filled with liquid which you definitely don't want to get into your eyes (and probably not on your skin, either.)

Edited by Tidalflame
Received one?  No.  Left one?  Well, I'll let you be the judge of that.  Here's the worst I've ever left:

Guess we're the first DNF on this one. The GPS was of no help other than leading us to the greenbelt - once we were in the trees, it couldn't seem to tell which side of the greenbelt it was on let alone where the cache was. We searched around for a while using the hint, but didn't find anything. There was TONS of garbage on the ground, and the whole area seemed to smell of urine. Should have brought the CITO bags from the other cache, I guess. Anyway, we were getting pretty grossed out, and I may have stepped on a bee's nest, so we gave up. We'll try it again eventually.

I tried to exercise tact there, but that cache was just not very good.

I'm OK with that log. It is one thing to just politely state what happened as you did (which happened to be icky) and another to say "your cache sucked, fix it!" or other such stuff. The difference is stating what happened v. being rude. I didn't find your log to be rude. It just stated the facts of the matter.

Edited by carleenp

Here is a virt log I made in 2003. I was going to skip it but then sought it after seeing logs with things such as "hmmm" or "interesting" or "kind of a funky spot although we didn't get out and look around as we felt we were trespassing and the dogs were kind of big!" So out of curiosity I just had to go look. Here is my log (with explanation after):

Not sure what to say. Found it with my friend Jodi and my cache dog, Molly, in the car. The sign says visitors welcome, but also beware of dogs! Looked like a neat place, but we didn't want to get out of the car! Jodi says: *looks like something out of the Animal Cops TV show and the natives are restless! Do we need fazers?* Boy... they come in all sizes there! I waved at and briefly spoke through a slightly open car window to some people who I assume are the caretakers and then carefully drove out of there. I'll email the answer.

The virt had a bunch of really HUGE home made wind sculptures spread across a private property that had the sign that said people were welcome to enter. But when you drove in, barking and growling dogs of all sizes from tiny to huge came running out from all over. There were around 10-12 of them jumping on my car and growling and barking! My own dog went bonkers! The caretakers then rode up in an atv and waved, but I just cracked the window and said "hi, just checking it out, but have to go now." We had to be careful getting out so not to run over a manical dog. We then managed to get the verification from the car on the way out!

At the time it was pretty freaky and lame. But the funny thing is that I ended up really getting a kick out of it because of the whole weirdness of it all! I still recommend that one to people just to shock them (although apparently sometimes the dogs are inside because I have had people tell me they never saw a dog there). :)

Ack, I spelled "excercise" wrong and you quoted me... by the time I noticed my mistake and corrected it, I already knew it would happen.  OH NOES!

Er, uh, I mean, I'm glad you don't think that's too harsh.

:) I hate when that happens! Gotta edit quick! :D

P.S. I fixed it in the quote now. :) (uhm, check your's again for your extra "c" in there) :):D

Edit: And darn if I didn't just have a premature "senior moment" where I had to look up if it should be exercise or exorcise!!!!! :D

Edited by carleenp

I s'pose I was "mean" when I posted this log for GCKGQE (Highrock No. 1):

"I hate to rain on anybody's parade, but I am going to suggest that this one be disabled/archived until the user repairs it. The cache container has been trashed by varmints, and the log paper was strewn all around the site and was soaked. I was tempted to remove this cache entirely because in its present state, it constitutes nothing more than litter." I included two photos in the log.

I wouldn't have been half as mean if the previous finder hadn't also logged the problem in JANUARY and the cache still had not been repaired/replaced in May. (Incidentally, it hasn't been archived yet.)

I met Commander Bob and Major Brat at the WI Goe Campout. I found them both to be very nice, pleasant people.

They both seemed to be the type to not beat around the bush, but I am sure that they did not mean to offend you, rather to offer constructive criticism- which you did ask for in the cache description.

As far as the "100 event logs" thing, there was about 65-70 caches placed for the campout that weekend. I found 56, and had to walk 18 miles to do those. They were real caches, a heck of a lot tougher and harder to get to and find than most of the other caches that I have seen, and the WI Geocachers Association- who sponsored the event- supported logging the caches.

The 100 event logs that they have are from 5 different events, not just the one.

Ok I quit reading at "a deoderant container". Sorry, but as someone who is a "slight" germophobe, I would never be able to do that cache. Yes, even though I would assure myself that of course you had washed it... Personal hygene items belonging to someone else would just totally not be something I could enjoy.

Ok I quit reading at "a deoderant container". Sorry, but as someone who is a "slight" germophobe, I would never be able to do that cache. Yes, even though I would assure myself that of course you had washed it... Personal hygene items belonging to someone else would just totally not be something I could enjoy.

I agree.

biohazard-sample2.jpg

But I like to be polite and aim for something positive as well because I am generally a polite and positive person. Plus I tend to have fun even finding caches with problems. Also, rude negativity causes angst and hurt feelings that are really not necessary

Oh yeah, what about this one?

:)Carleenp  found Maneater (719 found)

You call this a cache? I call it an ABOMINATION!!!!!.  The container screamed cheap the second I opened it.  If you can't afford a decent container HOW ABOUT FINISHING HIGH SCHOOL so you can GET A REAL JOB and afford the $1 for a decent Lock n Lock!!!!!!! Or is cleaning toilets in the Port Authority bus terminal too much for you to aspire to?

You call this scenery? I've seen better views in Taco Bell's ladies room after someone tossed a few bad burritos.

I wish WORTHLESS WASTES OF FLESH like YOU never heard of geocaching. How about going back to flashing little girls in the park and robbing clothing from Salvation Army collection bins and LEAVE US GEOCACHERS ALONE.

A pox upon you and your family for wasting 45 minutes of my life on this no good, lousy excuse for a geocache. In the future I'll know whose caches not to hunt for. YOURS YOU MORON!!!!!!

P.S. TFTC  NOT!!!!!! - Carleenp 

Edited by briansnat
But I like to be polite and aim for something positive as well because I am generally a polite and positive person. Plus I tend to have fun even finding caches with problems. Also, rude negativity causes angst and hurt feelings that are really not necessary

:)Carleenp  found Maneater (719 found)

You call this a cache? I call it an ABOMINATION!!!!!.  The container screamed cheap the second I opened it.  If you can't afford a decent container HOW ABOUT FINISHING HIGH SCHOOL so you can GET A REAL JOB and afford the $1 for a decent Lock n Lock!!!!!!! Or is cleaning toilets in the Port Authority bus terminal too much for you to aspire to?

You call this scenery? I've seen better views in Taco Bell's ladies room after someone tossed a few bad burritos.

I wish WORTHLESS WASTES OF FLESH like YOU never heard of geocaching. How about going back to flashing little girls in the park and robbing clothing from Salvation Army collection bins and LEAVE US GEOCACHERS ALONE.

A pox upon you and your family for wasting 45 minutes of my life on this no good, lousy excuse for a geocache. In the future I'll know whose caches not to hunt for. YOURS YOU MORON!!!!!!

That's ok, it's probably one of Lep's caches.

I don't consider the log in the OP mean at all.

I have left mean logs before. Not many, but a few.

Of course in one case, I knew the hider and was down-right peoed that a cache with hazards and other unusual challenges was listed as a 1/1 and recommended for beginners in the cache description. I felt my log was appropriate and yeah, it was rather harsh. I tend to not mince words. However, the cache owner is a big boy with a few hundred finds and can surely take the criticism. Furthermore, the cache is now properly rated as a result.

Then of course there are newer cachers 'round here with no finds who place caches and the coords are so off, you might as well be in the next zipcode searching. I never hide my frustration in my DNFs for caches I've not found like that. Especially when the coords were 6 miles off! Then again, when they're fixed, I also commend the hider on a good job at fixing/placing said cache.

I've also received a few mean logs. Waterbarron's come to mind, lol. But to be honest, I just let the comments roll away like water off a duck.

One other point, what is a direct statement to some may be viewed as rude by another. No two people's perception is the same.

Edited by AtlantaGal

;)Carleenp  found Maneater (719 found)

That's ok, it's probably one of Lep's caches.

If you click the link it is one of Brian's caches. It must have been so worthless that I don't even remember finding it! ;):):D

Edit: In fact it must have been so terrible that I don't even remember visiting New Jersey!!!! I must have blanked it all out. :o

Edited by carleenp
Ok I quit reading at "a deoderant container".  Sorry, but as someone who is a "slight" germophobe, I would never be able to do that cache.  Yes, even though I would assure myself that of course you had washed it...  Personal hygene items belonging to someone else would just totally not be something I could enjoy.

I agree.

biohazard-sample2.jpg

Ya know... I seriously thought he was kidding.

Check out Lock & Locks. They come in just about every size imaginable.

B00008PC3Z.01-A1VC38T7YXB528.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

... and that's just the square ones. They come round too. Please... do you're area cachers a favor and DON"T use a deoderant container.

Here's an army butter dish I got on ebay. Notice the film can next to it to compare size.

e6_1_b.JPG

As you can see it has a seal and it locks pretty tight.

Okay people…so let’s get this put into the proper perspective, shall we?! First we found a cache on the GPSR then looked it up in the palm. Oh goodie…a three that involves stealth in a very public place. And it’s by a newbie…cool! Okay, so this person needs some help with grammar and spelling, but in his defense…he is a newbie! So off we go in the direction of the cute little arrow on the GPSR. What? Only 65 ft. from the car? Okay, so it’s gotta be right there. Yep, there it is…what the heck? (That 3 star took 22 seconds to find, and that includes the walk from the car!) Oh c’mon, I can’t get the log out of here…it’s stuck on the plastic thing in the middle…oh geeze…look how torn up this is from that plastic thing. Oh well, let’s sign and get out of here.

So here’s the thing: What our friend G-O-JOE neglected to share with the rest of the class is the fact that HE ASKED for people to tell him what they thought of the cache! Too bad he didn’t really want to know. He also neglected to put in anything about the fact that we did remain calm in the cache log. We also did send an e-mail to him personally. If in fact you do not want people to respond honestly, do one of two things, either don’t ask them to or don’t hide any caches! Since he felt the need to give bits and pieces of our log and e-mail and took them out of context, it is our responsibility to correct his “commets” yet again. The following should help (ps…he still hasn’t fixed the cache page and even had spelling errors in his forum post here):

ORIGINAL CACHE PAGE:

Micro Cach For A Micro Park

by G-O-Joe

Use waypoint: GCNVC9

Difficulty: Terrain:

This is a level 3 for hardness because of the very public place it is in and it is a 1 for terrain because it goes no lower.

BE VERRY descret when looking for this cach. It is a glue stick container painted black. It is in a very public place. To help you be inconspicious with this I'm going to tell you that it is in the base of a tree near the edge of the park, BUT it is in the park. This is my first cach like a test run so don't expect anything great and please leave commets about it. This was place with permission from the park service and that info is in the cach. Have fun.

Additional Hints (Encrypt)

short side of the park

in a hole in the very bottom

bark is covering it

ORIGINAL CACHE LOG: (5-31-05)

CB&MB found Micro Cach For A Micro Park (Traditional Cache)

Okay, so you want "commets" about this "cach"...maybe we're not the best people to give those as we have nothing nice to say other than it was a clean park. Being as this is your first hide, we will reserve "commets" here and send you an e-mail. It was a valiant attempt and with a bit of tweeking can be made better.

CB&MB

ps...the container was TERRIBLE!

E-MAIL SENT TO CACHE OWNER WHEN LOGGING CACHE (5-31-05):

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

-- Copy of email sent to G-O-Joe --

Hi MajorBrat here...Commander Bob and I went to your cache hide today. I wanted to tell you a few things about what we discovered. We understand that this is your first attempt at a hide, and since you want feedback...well...here you go!

First and most importantly: FIX YOUR CACHE PAGE!!! There were so many spelling and grammar errors in the cache description that we almost didn't even attempt to find the cache. That's "cache"...not "cach"...

The container was really bad! I understand that you may have chosen it because it was small enough to fit in the hole it was in or that you may have had it lying around the house, but you could have at least cut out the little orange thing in the middle (the piece that moves the glue up).

Also, there is no way this is a 3 on difficulty. Even though some stealth may be necessary at times, it's not more than a 1.5. All you have to do is mark the "stealth" icon and you're good to go there. The fact that you tell people EXACTLY where to find the cache may even make it a 1...but that's our opinion. In fact, all of these things are our opinion.

We thought about not saying anything and just moving along the road, but that's not really our style. And now is the best time for you to learn all aspects of hiding a cache. Sorry if you find any of this harsh, but we call 'em like we see 'em and we'd like to see you do better. Good luck and we'll be watching for more from you.

MajorBrat

RE-LOGGED AFTER DELETION:

May 31 by CB&MB (190 found)

(Re-logged on 6-1) We found this yesterday and logged it but the cache owner deleted our log. He asked for "commets" which we took to mean "comments" yet when we gave them he deleted the log. Gee, maybe we should post the email we sent instead of just a "found it" log. The park was clean, the cache was there, the container needs some attention and the log was torn up. Other then that...FOUND IT!

CB&MB

So, as you can see (or not…if you’re wearing rose-colored glasses), we were more than fair about our response to this cache. Again we say, “If you don’t want to know what people have to say, don’t ask them!”

As for our cache numbers, we have done plenty of caches and you’re all free to look at our profiles. When we cache together we use CB&MB – 191 caches. If we’re alone we use Commander Bob – 1225 finds, 13 hides (including the WGA’s cache of the year), or MajorBrat – 1162 finds and 5 hides. Further research will also point out the fact that we aren’t the kind of cachers who search for the “pussy caches” all the time. We’re very fond of the long hikes that take us to wonderful places and the short ones that keep us looking for an hour only to go, “Duh, how’d we miss that?” in the end.

Speaking of irony: Spencersb

Posted: Jun 3 2005, 12:47 PM

Founding Member of GOWT

Lots of good advice already given. Take the comments and see if there's anything in there that can make your cache better.

I simply couldn't resist the irony, since the log criticizes your spelling:

"Other then that...FOUND IT!" (emphasis mine)

A special word of thanks to Spencersh for pointing out the “spelling” error we made in our log…too bad it wasn’t a spelling error, it was grammatical! We meant to write “than.” (Nice try though.)

Commander Bob & MajorBrat

Okay people…so let’s get this put into the proper perspective, shall we?!

<SNIP>

Wow, I didn't think it sounded all that harsh in the original post, but like so often happens here, when you get the FULL story, it changes everything. Maybe not quite as polite as Carleen, but when everything is seen in context it doesn't even come CLOSE to being mean. Seems like helpful, constructive criticism. Just like I suspected all along.

ORIGINAL CACHE LOG: (5-31-05)

CB&MB found Micro Cach For A Micro Park (Traditional Cache)     

Okay, so you want "commets" about this "cach"...maybe we're not the best people to give those as we have nothing nice to say other than it was a clean park. Being as this is your first hide, we will reserve "commets" here and send you an e-mail. It was a valiant attempt and with a bit of tweeking can be made better.

CB&MB

E-MAIL SENT TO CACHE OWNER WHEN LOGGING CACHE (5-31-05):

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Hi MajorBrat here...Commander Bob and I went to your cache hide today.  I wanted to tell you a few things about what we discovered.  We understand that this is your first attempt at a hide, and since you want feedback...well...here you go!

First and most importantly: FIX YOUR CACHE PAGE!!!  There were so many spelling and grammar errors in the cache description that we almost didn't even attempt to find the cache.  That's "cache"...not "cach"...

The container was really bad!  I understand that you may have chosen it because it was small enough to fit in the hole it was in or that you may have had it lying around the house, but you could have at least cut out the little orange thing in the middle (the piece that moves the glue up).

Also, there is no way this is a 3 on difficulty.  Even though some stealth may be necessary at times, it's not more than a 1.5.  All you have to do is mark the "stealth" icon and you're good to go there.  The fact that you tell people EXACTLY where to find the cache may even make it a 1...but that's our opinion.  In fact, all of these things are our opinion.

We thought about not saying anything and just moving along the road, but that's not really our style.  And now is the best time for you to learn all aspects of hiding a cache.  Sorry if you find any of this harsh, but we call 'em like we see 'em and we'd like to see you do better.  Good luck and we'll be watching for more from you.

MajorBrat

Putting the tact issue aside. CB&CM, you have a lot of geocaching experience. Not in just your 86 physical cache finds but also in your participation in WGA Geo-Campout 2005. In comparison G-O-Joe has found 13 physical geocaches and has attended not geocaching events. You have seen far more physical geocaches and met many more geocachers than G-O-Joe. You had an opportunity to mentor this new geocacher. It is too bad he saw your comments as being mean spirited and not as the constructive criticism you meant to convey.

Not in just your 86 physical cache finds but also in your participation in WGA Geo-Campout 2005. In comparison G-O-Joe has found 13 physical geocaches and has attended not geocaching events. You have seen far more physical geocaches and met many more geocachers than G-O-Joe. You had an opportunity to mentor this new geocacher. It is too bad he saw your comments as being mean spirited and not as the constructive criticism you meant to convey.

Pssst.... Glenn, ya missed the part where that's their team account, they also have another 2400 finds on their individual player accounts. ;)

I think the original log they posted, and the private email they sent with it was a pretty good job of mentoring the newbie. It would be hard to do better then they did, and I suspect Joe would interpret anything less then glowing praise as mean and insulting. I wonder if Joe replied to their private email and if he did; how it rates on the mean scale.

Not in just your 86 physical cache finds but also in your participation in WGA Geo-Campout 2005. In comparison G-O-Joe has found 13 physical geocaches and has attended not geocaching events. You have seen far more physical geocaches and met many more geocachers than G-O-Joe. You had an opportunity to mentor this new geocacher. It is too bad he saw your comments as being mean spirited and not as the constructive criticism you meant to convey.

Pssst.... Glenn, ya missed the part where that's their team account, they also have another 2400 finds on their individual player accounts. ;)

I think the original log they posted, and the private email they sent with it was a pretty good job of mentoring the newbie. It would be hard to do better then they did, and I suspect Joe would interpret anything less then glowing praise as mean and insulting. I wonder if Joe replied to their private email and if he did; how it rates on the mean scale.

My point is CB&MB together have a lot of experience geocaching and as you point out even more as individuals. I know they could teach me a lot about geocaching. But, a message that is ignored or misunderstood because it is interpered by the listener as too critical, or too condesending, or too mean conveys no useful informtion. If all that a listener gets out of the message is that the talker is being mean to them then the real infomation in the meaages is lost and the message is useless no matter how useful the information contained in the message is.

CB&MB

OK not the most tactful log, but far from mean. It's direct. Nothing wrong with that. If someone takes offense at a log like this one, I'd hate to see how they react to a real critical one.

If I were to write it, the TERRIBLE comment about the container would have been in the email, not the log. Other than that I think the log was fine. The owner did ask for comments.

I think the owner deleting the log is so much worse (read: RUDE) than a mean log (this one isn't imho). He needs a bit thicker skin ;)

Speaking as a fairly new cacher myself, why does everyone think poor hides are a result of inexperience? Okay, there are a few people who just don't know what constitutes a good cache, but I think it's much more a matter of common sense than experience. Granted, having a few good finds under your belt gives you a better idea of how you can make your caches REALLY interesting, but even someone who's only found one or two should be able to tell what will create enjoyable caching experience.

Edited by Tidalflame
Speaking as a fairly new cacher myself, why does everyone think poor hides are a result of inexperience? Okay, there are a few people who just don't know what constitutes a good cache, but I think it's much more a matter of common sense than experience. Granted, having a few good finds under your belt gives you a better idea of how you can make your caches REALLY interesting, but even someone who's only found one or two should be able to tell what will create enjoyable caching experience.

Some of the worst caches I have ever found (High crime area, trashy hiding spot, etc) are from cachers with over 500 finds. I purposely skip all of their caches. Everyone of them fit my description of caches I despise.

I have found some very nicely stocked caches, with great placements, by new hiders, so the analogy that all newbies hide bad caches, does not hold water.

Speaking as a fairly new cacher myself, why does everyone think poor hides are a result of inexperience?

I'll agree with that. Two hiders come to mind when i think lame hides. One started when he had roughly 5 finds. The other has over 200 and still thinks their hides are great no matter how many people tell them other. Some people will never get it, but i do feel that some finds before hiding will definately help. I had over 50 before i was ready to place one and have yet to have a bad comment on it. I even got a great comment from the first hider i mentioned who I have told honestly about not liking his cache.

Well, I retract my original comments about CB&MB's response. Note to self: Always wait until the whole story comes to light. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me.

My revised comments to OP: If you don't want criticism, don't ask for it. ;)

Yeah, once the whole story comes out, things are often quite different than they were in the first post of many threads here........

I wonder if Joe replied to their private email and if he did; how it rates on the mean scale.

Nope...no reply from him on the e-mail or on the fact that we re-logged the cache. We didn't really expect to hear from him though. It's sad how he got this thread started (2 days after we sent him e-mail) and then disappeared. As with the initial cache page, we believe that he began hearing that people weren't seeing things his way 100% so he bolted from site. It really is sad how stuff like that happens but we can't control everyone...heck, half of the time we can't even control each other or ourselves. :(

Now...let us take this time to thank those of you who took the time to research the cache, our log, our stats and our style before unjustly persecuting us here. And we commend those of you who were big enough people to, once you had the full story, admit that you may have jumped to conclusions about what our friend G-O-JOE wrote. We aren't rookies and we're not professionals...we simply know what we like, or in this case...don't like, and comment on that in our logs.

We love to cache and would welcome the opportunity to go for a walk with anyone. Drop us an e-mail and let's get moving! Don't plan on a day full of 1/1's though...those rarely happen for us. For us it's usually about long walks, great scenery, lots of mosquitos and ticks and of course the forgotten meals. If you can handle that...let's go! :)

As for the event caches...each one we logged was loaded into the GPSR, and searched for using the traditional methods of Geocaching. None were handed out to us, we earned each of them...so we logged them! Word-play is just a fun way to break up the logging process. The event coordinators and those attending know what we're talking about when we log. :o

Thanks for playing!

I dont think the cache owner was inexperienced. The Finder was inexperienced and impatient.

My own experience has been in my area is that a corp of experienced cachers will offer good criticism and their own coordinates to a new cache. Eventually we'll average out the coordinates and re-post them. They like good experiences, they want others to share that too (God, am I being nice or what this morning?-Geez!)

Also a friend of mine of a scientific type said that a glue stick container may actually be a good container after all as it needs to be air-tight to prevent the glue from drying out. Who knew!!!

My two Yen........

I dont think the cache owner was inexperienced. The Finder was inexperienced and impatient.

My own experience has been in my area is that a corp of experienced cachers will offer good criticism and their own coordinates to a new cache. Eventually we'll average out the coordinates and re-post them. They like good experiences, they want others to share that too (God, am I being nice or what this morning?-Geez!)

Also a friend of mine of a scientific type said that a glue stick container may actually be a good container after all as it needs to be air-tight to prevent the glue from drying out. Who knew!!!

My two Yen........

I wanted to know the experience level of the person who made this statement. I looked at the profile and found this:

Biography:

This is my alias, so I can post to our local geocaching forum as well as the national ones and not have my caches or personal emails flamed. Am not overtly malicious but this allows me the freedom to speak my mind

You were wrong in your statement about which of us is inexperienced. You would have seen this had you looked at the profiles of both of us, or read the thread through before offering up your words of wisdom. Several people have stated the stats of both parties involved here. Your stats on the other hand are hidden from the world. You chose to hide behind your little sock puppet so you didn't have to face the Geo Community. This leaves me to wonder what you're hiding for...hmmm....

I would love to know what your experiences are so please e-mail me w/ your real Geo name so that I can see for myself.

As for the container, a previous post here also showed that it wasn't the container that was the issue, it was the little plastic thing that tore the log sheet up and didn't allow a person to remove or replace the log w/ out further damage. (Ah the glory of speaking w/ out the facts...)

MajorBrat

I am working on using a deodorant stick container for a intermediate on a multicache or possibly the final. I thought it was water tight, but every time I put a piece of paper in it and leave it sit outside, the cap and paper are moist inside.

Try an antiperspirant.

It's sad how he got this thread started (2 days after we sent him e-mail) and then disappeared. As with the initial cache page, we believe that he began hearing that people weren't seeing things his way 100% so he bolted from site.

i was out of town but no hard feelings

I am working on using a deodorant stick container for a intermediate on a multicache or possibly the final.  I thought it was water tight, but every time I put a piece of paper in it and leave it sit outside, the cap and paper are moist inside.

Try an antiperspirant.

B):):):)

Hi MajorBrat here...Commander Bob and I went to your cache hide today.  I wanted to tell you a few things about what we discovered.  We understand that this is your first attempt at a hide, and since you want feedback...well...here you go!

I'll just say thanks from those of us with not many finds who appriciate suggestions from more experienced cachers. My first one would be lame without the help I got on it. I saw nothing wrong with what you said. Maybe the original poster was embaressed. So.

ok points taken i guess i was upset and needed to vent so sorry if i came off wrong and I will fix the page asap no hard feelings and also just wondering is there any way to delete forms topics.

You can't delete it, but you can lock it to stop anyone else from replying. It's in the bottom left corner, pulldown menu which says "Moderation Options" or something along those lines.