Keeping Track of Caches Found

0x284C

I have a "found" file in EasyGPS. I use the "comments" field to record the number (my find number) and date like this: 123 11-04-02.

If I want to view the caches in the order found, I just click on the "comments" field. Note: The earlier finds need to have preceding zeros for this to work correctly. i.e. 001, 002, ... 099. I'll just start a new file when I finally reach 1000; I didn't want to keep entering an extra leading zero until that time.

Worldtraveler

I carry my own log book. When I write a log at the cache, I write the same thing in my own log book. Then When I post my find I type the same thing from my own log book.

So, usually I post the same thing on the website that I wrote at the cache. Once in a while I add some additional comments.

It works for me.

Smitherington

David J. Brown

I maintain a Streets & Trips map showing all caches within 100 miles of my home. I color code the pushpins for various categories such as "my found". I maintain it weekly with a pocket query of new caches.

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

"Pi 'r not square, Pie 'r round you dummy!"

I keep track of everything in a 3 ring binder, that I have sectioned off in 3 sections. I always print out the cache pages before I go find them, and stick 'em in a plastic sheet protector. When I get to the cache I'll do my trading, sign the log, and write and pertant notes on the page I printed, such as date, time, and anything I don't want to forget to include in my online log. I keep all my finds in there in "chronological" order. The pages that I print of that I'm planning to do that day go in the section just behind my finds, and anything that I didn't find or didn't get to that day, I note on there as such and move them to the last section.

quote:
Originally posted by 0x284C:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I track on my geocaching page, http://geo.mrsnazz.com.

Nice Page....what software did you use to create the pushpin map of your found caches?

I used a program that I wrote, which brings in gis shapefiles (for the county/city/water boundaries) and projects waypoints to match from a textfile of the caches that I've visited. Then I screengrab and throw the image into photoshop to add the dropshadow and border box.

scott johnson, could you elaborate on how you use a travel bug to keep track of your cache finds?

the method sounds interesting and i would like to use it but i'm not sure what you mean by:

"Just remember to log it in, and then pick it up again, when you do so. Otherwise someone will go there trying to find the bug."

log it in, then pick it up? how does this keep track of your geocache finds. also, do you have to go back to the cache again, a second time to pick it up?

i would appreciate some help understanding this.

thanks.

Yes. You need to register the bug as left at the cache, and then do a second step of "finding the bug" to take it back.

The bug then keeps a record of where it has been and how far it has traveled. I am just over 8,000 miles of geocaching this year (according to my bug log).

quote:
Originally posted by the jackal1:

scott johnson, could you elaborate on how you use a travel bug to keep track of your cache finds?

the method sounds interesting and i would like to use it but i'm not sure what you mean by:

"Just remember to log it in, and then pick it up again, when you do so. Otherwise someone will go there trying to find the bug."

log it in, then pick it up? how does this keep track of your geocache finds. also, do you have to go back to the cache again, a second time to pick it up?

i would appreciate some help understanding this.

thanks.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.

You guys actually build spreadsheets and databases, write pages of notes, log personal TB's in and out - all to keep track of caches you ALREADY FOUND????? I don't get it... Our website keeps track of these automatically (if you log 'em online).

Once I find a cache, I lose interest in it pretty fast. The really fun, creative, and unusual ones I remember; if I don't remember the others, it's no big loss...

Before ya'll bring out the flame throwers - I am impressed with all the elaborate and clever methods some of you are using to track your finds, and if that's how you get your cachin' kicks - then I say, go for it! I guess it's sort of like hunters and fishermen who put animal heads and fish on the walls, or trophies for other sports.

But for me, the big fun here is in the hunting itself. Life's too short to spend time obsessing with the past, so I build my databases and write notes to help me find the caches I haven't visited yet, not the ones I already found. JMHO

quote:
Originally posted by Genius Loci:

You guys actually build spreadsheets and databases, write pages of notes, log personal TB's in and out - all to keep track of caches you ALREADY FOUND????? [/Quite]

Yep! icon_razz.gif

I don't get it... Our website keeps track of these automatically (if you log 'em online).

...And can be lost and gone forever with out even noticing its gone unless you keep up with your find count. then check all your found caches ONLINE HERE agenst any other way you track your own finds.

and, yes it did happen to me and everyone who posted a find to a local cache here that got archived wich lost all log entries and reduced counts by 1.

quote:

Once I find a cache, I lose interest in it pretty fast. The really fun, creative, and unusual ones I remember; if I don't remember the others, it's no big loss...

But we remember then all icon_wink.gif

quote:

But for me, the big fun here is in the hunting itself.

We all can agree to that icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Life's too short to spend time obsessing with the past, so I build my databases and write notes to help me find the caches I haven't visited yet, not the ones I already found. JMHO

The future is soon to be the past, you must trash alot of future work? icon_frown.gif sorry had to be said.

Have you ever tried to fine one, then realized you have been there before?

icon_confused.gif

to each thier own, happy caching!

icon_biggrin.gif

More rules = Less fun!

ntga_button.gif

NTGA member

I haven't found my first cache yet (or even received my GPS, a SportTrack Pro), but my plan is to use my Tablet PC and Windows Journal for keeping track of my Geocaching activities.

I can take screen captures of topo maps and aerial photos and place them along my digital ink hand written notes. Journal will enable me to search the notes. I'll then put the pictures from my digital camera along side everything else.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

quote:
Originally posted by Genius Loci:

You guys actually build spreadsheets and databases, write pages of notes, log personal TB's in and out - all to keep track of caches you ALREADY FOUND?????

Yep. And I'm pretty darn proud of mine.

Actually mine keeps track of all of the ones in the Chicago area - found and not found, archived and not. It's sort of a mini-mirror to the site. I can real-time query the database with some additional criteria I built in. That's how I can come up with interesting statistics like this post. But it also montiors my Photographer's Caches, my travel bugs and their movements (and Scooby Doo and Shaggy) and, with verifying the data daily with a Pocket Query, I produce data for pages like this.

My database also allows me to create standardized HTML code for my blog of cache finds on my website www.markwell.us.

It gives me HTML code that allows me to print off satellite imagry and topographical maps (as well as cache pages) of the ones I might be planning on hitting. It also keeps track of my Geodashing potential points and shows me what caches are in close proximity (and my past finds as well).

And hey - it gives me something to do when I can't get out and cache!

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching