Avoiding Muggles

Torchbearer

I haven't had to deal with any muggles yet but some of the caches I have planned to hunt in the future are pretty busy places. How does one search discretely? What do you say to someone who asks what you are doing? I would hate to ruin a good cache because someone thought I was doing "something strange" and then have to explain what I was looking for. I've read that in that instance a person should pick the cache up and inform the owner of the cache what took place but I would hate to be the one to have to do that. Being a new cacher, I would never forgive myself If I ruined it for everyone else. I guess if I did have to explain myself it would be one way to promote the sport. What suggestions can you experienced cachers give me on this?

Thanks

Torch ;)

How does one search discretely?  ...

What do you say to someone who asks what you are doing?  ... What suggestions can you experienced cachers give me on this? 

There are a few common strategies. One is to use the GPS as a "cell phone" ( or use a real cell phone if available ). People talking in cell phones can do lots of things without drawing any attention. Other people have been using hard hats, clipoards and similar props to act "official". I haven't tried that myself, so I can't wouch for its effectiveness. If approached by muggles, especially officials of any kind, just tell the truth. Anything else will just get you and/or the cache into trouble. And by telling the truth you maybe create a new cacher in the process ;)

Edited by Tzoid

Here are two personal examples of how you can deal with muggles:

#1 from July of last year in Vermont

"I work on Active Duty for the Vermont Army National Guard and sometimes search for caches while in uniform (I just cant help it). Going up to work at Camp Johnson in Colchester on Friday, I figured I would stop by and get a "find" for both the nearby BM and the cache. I drive by it every day, but just couldnt stop for one reason or another. Today was the day though. Not many cars, so I start the walk up the trails to get the BM first. While climbing up, someone was coming down the trail (at about 0800hrs).

By the way, I stumbled across the "mother-lode" of off-lable activities further up also.

I searched half-heartedly for the BM to no avail, and as I was coming back down, the gentlemen whom I saw earlier (looking just a little scared) was walking briskly back up the trail towards me. "I found something...something military. I dont know what it is, but I did not want to go near it." Dont forget I was in uniform with my GPSr and I knew at once that he found the cache and I would get credit for the easiet find ever recorded. "Show me," I said. He lead me right to it but would not go near it.

I couldnt play the game any longer so I explained to him what he found. His look went from frantic to complete embarrassment in about 2 seconds. He actually thought it was a Al-Queda bomb plot and I was in the woods looking to uncover the ammo can. Uh no, sounds good, but not the case. He thanked me for all the hard work we in uniform do, quickly, and I mean quickly left and drove away. I recovered the cache (might want to move it). TNLNSL."

#2 from last week in Oklahoma.

"As your self-appointed unofficial geocaching ambassador of good will, it is now safe for all future-finders to attempt and find this cache. I had what started out as an ugly confrontation with the landowners (which would default to being the cache owners too wouldn't it?) as to what I was doing.

I pulled up, and went to the wrong fence to start, but quicly figured it out and went to the other side when a pickup pulled out of the driveway to the house that overlooks the cache. I walked back to my car and pretended to make a phone call. They (husband and wife I learned later) pulled up, "ya'll right?" "Yup, just making a phone call thanks." "Then why the hell you on my property? Them's is my fences and I own 140 acres that side and 220 acres this side." "Just making a phone call is all, thanks for asking." "Right, phonecall my a**!" I then rolled up my window and they drove away. I though it was over until I looked in the rearview only to see them slowly stop, turn around and come back down the road. I said to myself screw it and grabbed my datasheet and got out of the car to flag them down. I figured this was stupid, and I could make it alot easier for anyone else. They stopped and rolled thier windows slowly down.

I told him about what I was doing and explained to him what some people like to do for fun, but there was no harm meant in being on the fenceline. "If that's what you boys do on the internet...that's fine with me. Then you aren't lost?" I showed him the lat/long on the sheet and told him frankly I know EXACTLY where I am. I got a nod. I told him I was just wasting some time before I head home to Vermont and that I was at FT Sill working. By the time I was done, everything was happy, and I know know that they sell horse trailers (anybody need one?), and that his father is a retired CSM and his uncle is retired Army as well.

So, anyone and everyone that comes in the future will go unheeded and will be able to log a quick (at least that is what I thougt it was going to be) find. Oh yeah, TNLNSL and logging some TB's too."

Take your pick. I have others too, but these are the best examples.

What Tzoid said, plus I like to take pictures in conjunction with caching. You can do all kinds of odd things while holding a camera up to your face and people will accept it as normal picture taking behavior. I often kneel or even get prone when really shooting pictures so doing it near a cache looks no different to the muggle.

Ditto on the photography angle. If you've got a digicam it's even easier, because you can take as many snaps as needed, and discard as much as you want when you get home. Then just say you are a freelance photographer working on some new project, like how nature thrives and adapts in the face of urban and suburban landscapes. That's the discrete method attempting to keep the cache a secret, but there is nothing wrong with the truth either. The beauty of the photography bit, it's basically true too, just not the whole truth.

I find telling the truth works extremely well in most situations. I usually have a copy or two of the brochure from Geocachers U in my bag as well. It saves time on the explanation.

If my gut feeling is that the person is someone likely to steal or otherwise harm the cache after I leave I usually use a cover story about looking at a plant, insect, or animal in the area.

I "walk my dog". In general I don't like crowds so I stick to caches out in the boonies, an almost fool proof way to avoid the muggle issues all together.

I tried the dog thing, but she draws too much attention. Apparently, a Husky in the desert attracts muggles, especially muggle children. Who would have thunk it? :D

I like the clipboard idea. :P It's funny how much 'authority' we give to a $1.00 clipboard. :D Look, he must be official... see the clipboard? :D:P

I have a small series of caches that are deliberately placed in muggle-high traffic area. Ironic as it may seem, the series has been quite popular. There are quite a number of tricks to avoid muggles finders have posted, and are actually fun reading.

MM- Levin Enlightened

MM-St. Andrew's Wee Foundation

MM-St. George's Longbranch Prey

MM- Any Sign of Eagletrek's Succession?

"MM" stands for "Muggle Madness," and it is very obviously displayed and explained on the cache pages, so folks know what they are getting into.

The most popular form of muggle avoidance seems to be to go when the weather is poor and muggles stay indoors. Another is to go during obvious off-peak times. Then there's a spattering of "other" techniques that are the amusing ones to read.

I solve this problem by hunting high visibilty caches during odd hours. I cache on the way to work 0540 to 0640, and sometimes around 2300 hours, after working a double shift.

If you hunt these caches during quieter times, you'll have less eyes on you.

Being a new cacher, I would never forgive myself If I ruined it for everyone else.

If you "burn" a micro in a high visibilty location, don't lose too much sleep. Mostly, these caches cost the cache owner under a dollar to create, so they aren't high value caches. Some caches are just asking to be muggled. Examples include caches hidden under lampposts, in busy shopping centers.

Do your best to be discreet, and try caching during the hours I suggested. Another option is to buy the Groundspeak Vest, and carry a clipboard.

I personally wouldn't use these items, because I have a dislike for high visibilty caches.

In my view, and based on how I hide my caches, cachers shouldn't have to look over their shoulders, due to "high muggle traffic."

I use a camera and or binoculars, then they think I a a bird watcher or some other nature type person, once some asked me if I was doing bird research, I told them the only birds I know about are the ones that show up on Thanks Giving or the Birde fro Kentucky Fried chicken :o

I have also used the change pick up for cover, this is good when looking for a cache in an urban setting. one cache I was looking for I figured was under mail box in a spot that was full of muggles, I just droped a bunch of change next to the mail box. When I was picking up the change I just grabed the cache from the base of the mail box. Then I just walked away to sign the log, in order to replace the cache I untied on of my shoes and stopped by the mail box to replace the cache while tying my shoe.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Several years ago I was working on a documentary for our local Public Television station. One of my assignments was to gather some photographs and survey information for a neighborhood that was historically significant to our area, yet filled with so much blight that all but 4 of the houses were going to be bulldozed. But since the homes were over 100 years old, we wanted to have pictures before they were leveled. Here's the problem... the neighborhood was in a very bad part of town - famous for it's crack houses and other things that could get you killed if for no other reason than the sport of it. Needless to say, I was scared to death to go into this neighborhood let alone go crawling around several abandoned houses. My solution? I put on my navy blue suit, a tie, and my hard-hat. I had a cell phone on a lightweight strap hanging from my neck, and my hand-held ham radio clipped on my belt. I was carrying a clipboard as well as my camera. There were several people milling about on both sides of the street when I boldly parked my car and got out. I purposely looked at the first house on my "list", jotted down a few notes, took a few pictures, then walked closer to the house until I was almost inside. I could tell that there were many of the "local residents" watching me. One guy finally came up and asked me what was up. I identified myself as being "from the city" and was getting some last minute pictures of the buildings to ensure that when they came down, there wouldn't be any health hazzards or dangers to the other houses on the block. Since the possibility of rat infestation existed, I said I was also checking to make sure that when the buildings came down, the rats wouldn't run and get into the other homes...including his. He not only bought the story, but I heard him tell his buddies to stay away from me...I was working. In other words, they thought I was "the man."

My point to this is that if you look the part, act bold but discreet and respectful, and act like you belong to your surroundings and not be considered doing anything you SHOULDN'T be doing, then the muggles won't pay any attention to you. In other words, you become invisible. Of course, that's awfully hard to do when you have a bunch of kids screaming "I FOUND IT!!!!! I FOUND IT!!!!!!"

I find telling the truth works extremely well in most situations.  I usually have a copy or two of the brochure from Geocachers U in my bag as well.  It saves time on the explanation.

If my gut feeling is that the person is someone likely to steal or otherwise harm the cache after I leave I usually use a cover story about looking at a plant, insect, or animal in the area.

Me too. But just in case, we carry a copy of a local newspaper article in which we were featured Geocachers. Beautiful.

Edited by Team cotati697
I haven't had to deal with any muggles yet but some of the caches I have planned to hunt in the future are pretty busy places. How does one search discretely? What do you say to someone who asks what you are doing? I would hate to ruin a good cache because someone thought I was doing "something strange" and then have to explain what I was looking for. I've read that in that instance a person should pick the cache up and inform the owner of the cache what took place but I would hate to be the one to have to do that. Being a new cacher, I would never forgive myself If I ruined it for everyone else. I guess if I did have to explain myself it would be one way to promote the sport. What suggestions can you experienced cachers give me on this?

Thanks

Torch :)

An Orange Vest, Yellow Hat, and a Clipboard makes you totally invisible to muggles.

I have to have my access card and employee ID clipped to my belt when at work. I have gotten into the habit of having the bus pass attached to the back. This usually stays attached when I'm hunting for caches over the lunch hour or just after work.

Ended up walking through some police activity one lunch hour. My eyes were on the GPS and an occasionaly glance to ensure I'm still on the sidewalk. Just as I made it through it dawned on me that the I neede to go the other direction. As I turned I took in all that police activity and decided that I wasn't going to march back through that! Looks like a couple of the "guards" had stepped aside to let me through. :unsure:

Just recently a cacher emailed me that they had taken one of my caches with them as a bunch of muggles had decended into the area while they were signing the log. They waited but the muggles waited longer. He came back a couple of days later to put it back.

Problem solved: We wage an unholy war on the muggles of the earth. And we will be victorious I tell you! Unless they find out bases on the geocaching.com website. Plus all the swag we have to buy for our base caches will depete some of the money that should go to weapons. But when we wipe out the muggles, it'll be all caching, all the time, everywhere!!!

Muhahahaha

One is to use the GPS as a "cell phone" ( or use a real cell phone if available ).  People talking in cell phones can do lots of things without drawing any attention.

I hid my GPSr in my shoe, which I pretend to talk to like a phone. No muggles bother me. In fact, nobody even makes eye-contact with me. :grin: Urban caching problem solved...

89e5ca25-004c-43ab-9c94-8a9e44284e0e.jpg

serious response:  I say I'm on a scavenger hunt.  Most people understand that, or think they do, and leave you alone.

I'll double the serious response: I completely agree with WalruZ here. Scavenger hunts have enough history associated with them, and account for our strange behavior in a completely understandable and fairly accurate way.

Actually, I often just say: "I'm geocaching, it's like a scavenger hunt using a GPSr." That approach removes a lot of the mystery and people realize that I'm having more fun than they are.

If you still want stealth, you can just pretend to be writing text messages on your "cell phone". That allows you to still look at the screen.

Honesty works best.

Sometimes I have felt that the cache should be protected.

My strategy goes like this:

What people see is not the same as what the percieve.

The GPSr could be some kind of measuring tool.

(other than what it already is)

Perfect for measuring something coming out of an air vent or so...

Poor cell phone reception is a reality in many places in Sweden. I use that as an excuse to walk around acting silly with the GPSr in front of my face and sometimes listen to it with a bothered expression on my face.

GameBoy-clone.

Use the steer-by-tounge-technique for the final touch.

It is amazing how much loitering that people will tolerate from you if you are talking on a cell phone. I have found that the line between "suspicious behavior" and loitering can be delineated with the presence of a cell phone or camera, as others have pointed out.

I have known cachers that have had great success with the clipboard, hardhat and orange vest gear; seems like too much effort for me.

Have also known some of those crazy cachers who are able to "act" unusually to make the muggles leave. One cacher admitted to me that he stood near a group of "unsavory" folks in one park and pretended to be reporting descriptions and license plate numbers in to the "authorities" and they all left, post haste.

I've used the GPSr as a "digital camera" to justify my obvious interest in a particular POI. I also use time-of-day / bad weather discretion, particularly for playground areas (not a good place for caches anyway). I also use the "I'm here on offical busines" and no one ever asks exactly what business that is anyway..

But my best decoy is useful when you're 20 ft into the woods off a local park trail, and need just a moment of "cover" while some walkers go by. I assume a "position" behind a tree and stand still. Either the muggles don't even see me, or they assume I'm taking a pee.... either way they don't acknowlege me.