Small Pocket Knives As Swag? Yes? No?

I've found a few small pocket knives in caches. My first thought is that they shouldn't be there but I guess it depends on one's definition of a knife. I don't feel that large hunting knives, daggers, switchblades belong in caches but what about the small pocket knives such as the small Swiss Army knife. Is it OK according to the rules?

Since the majority of my caches are in the backcountry I personally think knives are ok, they are probably less dangerous than some of the creatures that live there. But guidelines are just guidelines and not rules, so practice your own discretion. After all we usually don't ask permission to places caches, so don't tell what you put in a cache, and don't say what you find.

Knives are great swag. This site does not allow them as a concession to park managers who were worried that convicts (who use chainsaws and other much more deadly equipmetn) on work release programs might pick on up and cause much harm, among other things.

My personal take is that anything with an age restriction on it (meaning kids can't legally possess it) is fair for a trade item. However perception is reality and we do rely on park managers parks for much of our game and so it's a small price to pay.

Actually found the guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx and they say "Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages."

Based on the guidelines, pocket knives are verboten. I actually have a couple small Swiss Army knives that I was debating about using as swag :(

Hmmmmm - it mentions ammo but not guns. Hmmmmmm :laughing:

Edited by Spyder13

here's My 2 cents

I think that it is the parents responsilbility to teach their kids what to do with knives such example as in fire the kid is lets say 12-13 and he drops a candle on the floor which has carpet and it catches it on fire a kid that has never been around fire before (ie camp fire fire works bonfire's) would probaly run outside and watch as the smmal burn spot on the floor grow and burn down there house :laughing::(

the same thing happens to a kid that has been around fire (ie look above) would probaly stomp it out worry how to cover up the burn spot. knife thing same thing if the parent takes the time to teach the how to use it properly instead of telling the kid not to touch it wich we all know tha when you tell a kid it tabo it makes want it more so he would end up cuttongh himself and maybe even a trip to the emergency room.

same thing with guns,fireworks.

so the moral of the story is teach your kid why its dangerous and how to use it properly

and your kid will be safer. tell the don't do it without teaching why and the kid will learn

by trial and erro. because the kid will learn it soon or later so why not teach the kid sooner than later when you are around than when you aren't.

when I was at young age I had a little pen knife my dad bought me and taguht how to use it.

We had when I was at a young age weenie roast on open fire.

I was at a young age taught how to shoot fireworks.

I was taught at a young age how to shoot a bb gun

and I never screwed up with any of that stuff because I knew what it did and why it was dangerous.

So yes I do think taht pocket kinives should be allowed.

sorry about the rant.

I probably shouldn't reply since this topic is definitly beating a dead horse. But, alas, replying is better than doing dishes right now.

So, I think knives are great swag to find, especially for my kids (I already have a perfectly good swiss army knife and don't need another). But, as a concession to the geocaching community as a whole and the widely accepted and discussed reasons for not putting knives in caches, I will not place one in a cache. But, darn it would be cool to trade them. Oh well.

I think that it is the parents responsilbility to teach their kids what to do with knives

You're absolutely right.

However, if a 6 year old finds the cache, and his parents haven't taught him to be careful, it's not the parents who will be having their fingers stitched up in the emergency room.

I think that it is the parents responsilbility to teach their kids what to do with knives

You're absolutely right.

However, if a 6 year old finds the cache, and his parents haven't taught him to be careful, it's not the parents who will be having their fingers stitched up in the emergency room.

That's the whole beauty of it. :(

You're absolutely right.

What are the chances of a 6 year old finding a cache by him/herself?

Paul

You're absolutely right.

If 6 year olds are wandering around alone in the woods, I think their parents have more potential problems than the kid finding a pocket knife.

Actually found the guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx and they say "Use your common sense in most cases...

I do, which is precisely why I have left Swiss Army Knives and Leatherman tools in caches.

What's wrong with just following the guidelines of your listing site?

Is flouting the rules that important to you?

Is having things your way more important than supporting a common consensus?

Do I think pocket knives are dangerous? No.

Has gc.com asked me not to put them in caches listed here? Yes.

OK, no knives in gc.com-listed caches!

End of story!

End of story!

Couldn't have stated it better myself

You're absolutely right.

Paul

The odds of an "under 12" find a cache accidentally are pretty good when you include city parks, bike paths, and similar rural environments near or within the urban boundaries.

Before this was brought to my attention, I left a few small pocket knives and multi-tools in caches. They were new and sealed in that "God, I need a hacksaw to get this out" plastic they use these days. I figured if a kid could get it open, he didn't need the knife to hurt himself anyway. :D

You have to follow the guidelines (rules, actually) to have your caches listed on this site. You have no choice.

What rules? GC makes rules for what can be listed. They do not have the authority to make or enforce rules regarding how a cacher looks for caches or what they do or don't trade in a cache.

What common consensus? Many people who've responded to the various threads about knives say they think pocketknives are OK. I don't think there is common agreement that pocketknives are bad.

No.

I don't agree with their opinions on the matter nor do I feel any obligation to comply with their request.

Sorry, I just bought another dozen pocketknives intended as trade items. People around here like them.

End of story!

I doubt it. This topic will continue to be raised again and again.

That will teach me not to do a full search on a subject before I post :D I didn't realize what a touchy subject this was. When I was racing I was one of the first people on the forum we had. I knew all the subjects. Since this forum has been around a while and I'm new - I'm bound to step in "it" a few times. I'd better remember to use the search more often :D

BTW - the small Swiss Army knife I found I thought was a cool find - but I can see the reasoning behind not having them in caches since this is a family game and small ones are involved. The positive part about this thread was that I did find the guidelines. That was an interesting read.

You're absolutely right.

The odds of an "under 12" find a cache accidentally are pretty good when you include city parks, bike paths, and similar rural environments near or within the urban boundaries.

Actually found the guidelines http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx and they say "Use your common sense in most cases...

What rules? GC makes rules for what can be listed. They do not have the authority to make or enforce rules regarding how a cacher looks for caches or what they do or don't trade in a cache.

I don't agree with their opinions on the matter nor do I feel any obligation to comply with their request.

So I guess your just flouting the rules, oops sorry, guidelines that you feel no obligation to abide by since you don't agree with them. So I guess your not really flouting anything.

Edited by magellan315
...but I can see the reasoning behind not having them in caches since this is a family game and small ones are involved

That's not really the reason. I think most small children tend to hunt caches with their parents.

The reason for the ban is because some land managers object to "weapons" in caches. One park system banned geocaching because of the MENTION OF A PEN KNIFE IN A LOG :D . They didn't even find the knife, yet banned the sport because it violated the park's no weapons rule. I wonder if they ban steak and butter knives at the park's picnic area.

Of course anybody with half a brain knows that a pocket knife is a tool and not legally considered a weapon in most (if not all) states, but if these guys had half a brain they wouldn't have chosen careers as bureaucrats.

Edited by briansnat

I agree with Divine's silent opinion on this one... just use common sense... if the cache is in a city park its probably not a great place for a knife of any kind. Cache is on a dirt road in the hills or at the end of a 3 mile hike... then a knife might be ok and personally I think a pocket knife is a pretty nice trade item. Use your common sense and you'll be fine, and when in doubt just follow the guidline.

In most cases, I generally agree with using common sense when leaving any item in a cache. However, I have found that people's opinion on pocket knives varies so greatly that the guidelines make sense. Just don't leave them.

Schools around here started off some years ago by banning any pocket knife with a blade longer than 3 inches. Then it was 2". Now they are banned altogether in many local schools.

My own mom allowed me to carry a knife at 8 years old but was appalled when my sister gave her 10 year old a small one.

I carried a small knife for most of my life until I accidently got it confiscated at a college football game where they asked me to empty my pockets. Post 9/11 world has a lot of rules I agreee with and many I do not.

Best to keep all involved happy as we can and not complaining too much. I would rather see caches continue to be there rather than banned over something as silly as a $3 pocket knife.

Thread hijack warning: What do you think about P38 can openers as trade items?

While I think they are neat and all, they seem kinda dangerous to be left loose in a full cache. Since the blade is share an exposed, it would be easy for someone to get hurt when extracting the contents of the cache.

--Marky

While I think they are neat and all, they seem kinda dangerous to be left loose in a full cache. Since the blade is share an exposed, it would be easy for someone to get hurt when extracting the contents of the cache.

--Marky

I leave them in caches (I secure the sharp end with masking tape), but they are as much a weapon as Swiss army knives.

The reason for the ban is because some land managers object to "weapons" in caches. One park system banned geocaching because of the MENTION OF A PEN KNIFE IN A LOG :D . They didn't even find the knife, yet banned the sport because it violated the park's no weapons rule.

I would hope that people keep this in mind, remeber that what you may consider a non-issue is a major one for the land managers. Having worked with one to create a geocaching policy, knives in geocaches was a major concern. In the future remeber Briansnats post, it only takes one person, yes that can include you Gorak, to ruin the opportunities for Geocaching for many.

Geocaching has so few rules, oops, guidelines, it amazes me when people can't even have a minimum of respect. There are all sorts of great trade items that adults and children will like, so why insist on using the few that protect us from geocahing being banned.

While I think they are neat and all, they seem kinda dangerous to be left loose in a full cache.  Since the blade is share an exposed, it would be easy for someone to get hurt when extracting the contents of the cache.

--Marky

I leave them in caches (I secure the sharp end with masking tape),

I probably wouldn't give them a second thought if left taped up like you do.

--Marky

Use your common sense in most cases

Around here, there are some caches that I wouldn't worry too much about putting a small knife into, but I haven't, and probably won't for a few reasons - a.) It's against the guidelines, I try to keep TPTB as happy as possible :D and b.) I feel that if I was going to leave a knife, I'd rather leave a quality knife of decent quality than a dollar-store POC, and being the poor HS kid I am, I can't afford to leave good knives everywhere I go (See also: section a.)

On my second cache find, I was caching with my friend, and there was a small Buck keychain/knife in the cache... He still has it, and it goes most places with him (EXCEPT school, airport, etc!)

In short: If it's a rugged, multi-mile hike to the cache (like this), I don't think there would be too many people that would mind finding a quality knife in the cache (But plenty who would be glad to have it!) If however, it's a park-n-grab thrown-in-the-bushes-at-the-local-dogpark cache, I'd be less likely to leave anything that could offend someone (AKA TNLNSL...)

Ok, I'll shut up now :D

Happy Caching

Jeff

Of course anybody with half a brain knows that a pocket knife is a tool and not legally considered a weapon in most (if not all) states

Not to mention most (if not all) other countries.

You kidding? I pulled out a little pocket knife to help someone open a bottle of sherry in England recently and a gasp of horror went around the room. Common opinion was that it was illegal -- because of the locking blade, I think, but the mere fact someone would walk around with a knife in her pocket is clearly what freaked everyone out.

I'd be amazed if the UK stood all alone on that score.

I just found my first cache ever. I was with my daughter and when we were looking throuhg it we saw a pocket knife that was for a manicure set (little blade, nail file, scissors) and my daughter wanted to trade for it. I saw no harm in that. I made sure she traded even, and even got het to pick up trash on the way out. She is mature enough to have one so I saw no harm.

My .02

Of course anybody with half a brain knows that a pocket knife is a tool and not legally considered a weapon in most (if not all) states

You kidding? I pulled out a little pocket knife to help someone open a bottle of sherry in England recently and a gasp of horror went around the room. Common opinion was that it was illegal -- because of the locking blade, I think, but the mere fact someone would walk around with a knife in her pocket is clearly what freaked everyone out.

I'd be amazed if the UK stood all alone on that score.

They are just too handy. I don't see how you can have a civilization without someone having a pocket knife in the room. Leathermans are not yet universal but they should be. :D

You're absolutely right.

As much as I agree with what Auntie Weasel said....

I like knives.  I like them a lot.

My common sense says to follow the guidelines. Anything less is a matter of personal interpretation.

Please let's not use England as an example. The British couldn't cook a decent meal to save the queen and you think they are a good judge of civility? Look at the newlyweds for crying out loud? :D These are also the same people who have banned nearly all guns in their country only to see the violent crime rate skyrocket.

* Greymane quietly steps off his soapbox. * :D

Back to the topic. The rules (guidelines, call them what you will) are set in the best interest of the game. Constructive input and debate will change those rules from time to time. Sometimes for the better, sometimes not. The rules will cause some to leave the game, while at the same time encouraging others to join. It is the nature of all things involving large groups.

Football is not a perfect sport. (Yes, I actually said it.) The rules change from time to time. Some rules make it better, some don't. You just have to ride the waves and if you can't handle the change....move on to something else. :D

Please let's not use England as an example.  The British couldn't cook a decent meal to save the queen and you think they are a good judge of civility?  Look at the newlyweds for crying out loud?  :D  These are also the same people who have banned nearly all guns in their country only to see the violent crime rate skyrocket.

I really don't know why you felt the urge to lay cheap shots at England and bash some individuals, but I found without really searching this page:

The risk of becoming a victim of crime has fallen from 40% in 1995 to 26 per cent according to British Crime Survey (BCS) interviews in 2003/04, the lowest level recorded since the BCS began in 1981.

Yet despite the total number of crimes estimated by the BCS falling over recent years, two-thirds of the public still believe that the national crime rate has been rising.

And this page:

Most violent crime recorded by the police is low level thuggery that involves little or no physical injury to the victim.

We also have one of the lowest homicide rates among EU member states, and London is below average for EU capital cities.

Yet violence of any kind is destructive to society, and although violent crime has fallen by 35% since its peak in 1995, and has remained relatively stable since 2000, we are doing all we can to continue bringing it down.

I didn't find any reference to if the pocket knives are legally considered a weapon in England. Not that I searched very thoroughly.

I didn't find any reference to if the pocket knives are legally considered a weapon in England. Not that I searched very thoroughly.

Ok, now I found the Knives Act 1997.

Uh, ok. A roomful of Englishmen and -women gasped when they saw your knife. According to the Knives Act 1997:

"(1) If a police officer of or above the rank of inspector reasonably believes-

( a ) that incidents involving serious violence may take place in any locality in his police area, and that it is expedient to give an authorisation under this section to prevent their occurrence, or

( b ) that persons are carrying dangerous instruments or offensive weapons in any locality in his police area without good reason,

he may give an authorisation that the powers conferred by this section are to be exercisable at any place within that locality for a specified period not exceeding 24 hours."

...so did everyone freak out because they believed a ) that incidents involving serious violence might take place, or b ) you were carrying that dangerous instrument without a good reason? Or could it have been similar case to where 'two-thirds of the public still believe that the national crime rate has been rising'?

...so did everyone freak out because they believed a ) that  incidents involving serious violence might take place, or b ) you were carrying that dangerous instrument without a good reason? Or could it have been similar case to where 'two-thirds of the public still believe that the national crime rate has been rising'?

They freaked out because none of them was in the habit of carrying a pocket knife, nor knew anyone who was in the habit of doing so, and they found the sight of my little knife coming out of my pocket startling.

So...

You kidding?

...no.

IANAL, but it seems that a pocket knife is not legally considered a weapon in England, if you have a good reason to carry it.

Back to the topic.  The rules (guidelines, call them what you will) are set in the best interest of the game.  Constructive input and debate will change those rules from time to time.  Sometimes for the better, sometimes not.  The rules will cause some to leave the game, while at the same time encouraging others to join.  It is the nature of all things involving large groups.

The point I am trying to make is, who gave GC the right to create rules/guidelines as to how people cache and what they trade? GC is merely a listing site and, as such, their only authority in this game is to define rules as to what they will or won't list on their site. Period. They have no more authority or right than I do to define rules as to how the game is actually played or what people trade or don't trade.

When it comes to hiding caches that I list on GC, I obey their rules/guidelines and do not leave anything in my cache that would violate their rules. That is what I agree to when I submit a cache for listing on this site. But that is where my obligation to GC ends. I understand their reasons for wanting to restrict certain items from being traded but I feel no obligation whatsoever to abide by those restrictions if I do not agree with them or I don't believe their reasoning applies to a particular situation. Many of the rules/guidelines are designed to address concerns which are US-centric. I happen to live in a different country where the laws, culture and public attitudes differ greatly from the USA.

IANAL, but it seems that a pocket knife is not legally considered a weapon in England, if you have a good reason to carry it.

Oh, criminy. Okay, let's play dueling sources, then.

Here's a story I remember from my last trip over in January:

Violent crime has risen sharply in the past few years, and public anxiety about it has increased even more so. It is important to keep matters in perspective. Murder remains mercifully rare in this country, and the police have a good record in solving cases of murder and manslaughter, partly because many of these crimes are "domestics". Nevertheless, there is a deeply disturbing trend towards the increasing use of lethal violence in crimes against property.

<snip>

Last week it was reported that a man driving to a business meeting was arrested and generally mistreated by police after they discovered a pen-knife in his briefcase during a routine anti-terrorism road block. There was never any suggestion he might use it as a weapon: the police were simply flaunting their "zero tolerance" of knives.

From The Telegraph. Actually, I was looking for the report of the item in the second paragraph, which I remember reading at the time. It was a pretty extraordinary first-person account of what this guy went through, but this'll do to make my point. Incidentally, the Home Office has become notorious in recent years for changing how they calculate violent crime to diddle the figures.

Not that Auntie needs any help but.....

From the nottinghamshire police dept:

The Offensive Weapons Act 1996 means that you can go be sentenced to imprisonment for up to two years and/or be fined if you are carrying a knife in public without a good reason. The police can arrest people on the streets who are committing this offence.

Knives: questions and answers

Q. Can I carry a knife with me?

A . Not unless you have a good reason to - for example, to use at work, for religious purposes or as part of a national costume. There are very few good reasons for youngsters to carry knives. If the police prosecute you for carrying a knife in public or at school, you will have to prove that you were carrying if for a good reason.

Q. Why can’t I carry a knife

A. A knife in the wrong hands can be used to maim or even kill, which means that the law has to be very strict on the carrying of knives.

Q. Can I buy a knife?

A. From January 1, a shopkeeper will be breaking the law if he sells a knife to anyone under 16

Q. How old do I have to be to carry a knife?

A: It does not matter what age you are, the police may charge you with a very serious offence if you haven’t got a good reason.

Q. What if I carry a small pocket knife?

A: If the blade is under 7.6cm (3 inch) you will not be charged with simple possession. But if the police believe that you are carrying it as an offensive weapon they can prosecute you under a different law.

Q. What would happen if I do carry a knife?

A. If you do not have a good reason to be carrying it (see Q1), a court may find that you have committed a serious criminal offence.

Q. Can I go to prison just for carrying a knife?

A. Yes, for up to two years.

Q. Is it only knives, or are there other sharp things I am not allowed to carry?

A. It is an offence to carry an article with a blade or sharp point in public or at school without good reason.

Q. I can use knives in the kitchen, so why can’t I use them outside the house?

A. You can. The offence, under section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, is that of carrying a knife in public without good reason (see Q1).

Q. What if I have to buy a kitchen knife from a shop for my Mum/Dad?

A. From 1 January, if you are under 16 you will not be able to do this. The best thing is to have a responsible adult with you if you are making such a purchase.

Q. What should I do if I see/know of someone/a friend carrying a knife?

A. The police will take the details from you and pass them to our information unit.

Q. Can I carry a knife to protect myself from people who attack me in the street?

A. No. The law does not allow you to carry a knife or any other weapon for self-defence.

Q. I can hide my knife in my pocket and the police won’t even know I have got it, so how can they stop me?

A. The police have special powers to stop and search people for knives, and the Home Secretary has said that he is going to make these powers even wider. Hiding a knife provides no real protection against being caught.

Q. I have some kitchen knives to dispose of what do I do with them?

A. There are no set instructions but a good method is to wrap the blade in several sheets of newspaper and place it in the dustbin on the day it is due to be emptied, however individual local authorities may have there own set procedures/methods, if you need further advice you should telephone your local council