Is There Any 4x4 Geocaches ?

I am new to this Geocaching lark , and found my first two last weekend with a nice walk in Maulden woods. I was just wondering if there were any GC's hidden on routes accesable by 4X4 vehicles ? As I think this would be fun too !

Prehaps its not in the spirt on Geocaching , or maybe I have found a whole new sport !!!!

Cheers

Crazycucumber

Are those the 4x4's that are allowed to park on the zig-zag lines outside of schools in the mornings? It's gotta be worth having just for that!  B)

Only if they've got their four little amber "I can park anywhere I dadgum well please" lights flashing. :smile:

Edited by Pharisee
Have done one with Pyoung1s in his 4x4 TB P99 GPS

drove close to a few that day.

If you like 4x4 there are some shots taken by me on my web site

one of the better oneshere

Cool , glad to see there are a few I can do . Looks like I will have to plant a few Caches on some 4x4 routes too.

Deego , There is a nice little pay and drive site near me in Bedfordshire called Devils PitPictures of me on it Here ( you need to click on the My Toyota Hilux Surf menu Option ( and nothing else !!! )

Thanks for the info guys

Its about time all by-ways were closed to any form of transport powered by an internal combustion engine. Keep 4X4 caching out of this country please!

Please read the following article by what I believe to be a respected scientific organisation: http://www.britishecologicalsociety.org/ar...s/reports/1779/ In summary (related to the post objecting to 4x4 use of green lanes) it concludes that recreational vehicular use of green lanes does not constitute a significant threat - agricultural vehicles cause more disturbance - and that neglected lanes can have a lesser diversity of micro-habitats. Something to think about!

I think that with 4000 sq miles of countryside being opened up to pedestrians through the recent coutryside act there is plenty of room in the countryside for all of us. I am a 4x4 owner and enjoy green laning. I am always courteous and polite to other users and I avoid causing disruption to the countryside. I also enjoy walking in the countryside - I would object to 4x4 users driving off-track, aggresively or being discoutreous - we all should. But we should be as understanding as possible about different peoples choice of hobby.

As long as a 4x4 cache does not require "winch challenge" or "comp safari" type driving there should be no problems. It seems to me that this hobby takes in all sorts of user groups: sailors, climbers, ramblers, urban pedestrians, pilots, cyclists - the more variety the better surely? Just as long as people use an appropriate form of transport and do not violate or abuse access permissions such as horse-riding on footpaths or climbing private property or off-roading on tracks without vehicular rights of way.

Regards

Neil

Crazy Cucumber - you might also want to consider Trigpointing. Sometimes when I do this I wish I had a 4x4, my laguna struggles. My next car will be a Discovery for this very reason.

EDITED owing to overreaction. Sorry, off topic as well. I came home as soon as I could to delete it. It's a fire I do not wish to stoke.

Edited by Kitty Hawk

You looking to grab some caches during the school run or before after the thrice weekly shop?

.....dons serious hat.

I'm of the opinion that this activity shouldn't be encouraged on byways in Britain either. Our wilderness is fragile enough without the encroachment of unnecessary vehicles on byways. Fair enough, the byway MAY be designated for any vehicular traffic but earth chewing 4x4s weren't around when that designation was made.

The way I see it, the UK can't possibly have ANY caches which need to be accessed by 4x4, even the most inaccessible should be walkable to. You have to make a judgement as to if you're capable to reach such a cache. Even if you could reach it by 4x4, you should be capable of walking to it, to prepare for that eventuality (I mean, let's be honest, very few of these "4x4s" are designed for off-road use nowadays as products are designed for their market, not some past purpose). In that case, why not walk anyway? It's healthier, safer, cleaner and less damaging.

I walk a lot and far too much "let's take the 4x4 up bridleways" and "let's bike down the footpath" is going on. I've been physically threatened by a 4x4 driver who was taking the family to a Peak District beauty spot down a footpath because he didn't want his kids getting muddy. I've been verbally abused by mild-mannered looking housewives who were watching over their kids on their Christmas mountain bikes tear up a recently (and painstakingly) restored forest footpath.

Before both sides of the argument, kill each other with stares at twenty paces :huh: . My I remind everyone what the majority of 4x4s are on the road for, forgetting the school run fashion brigade :P .

One group purchase them, due to them being practical work vehicles (especially in rural areas), the second large group have them to tow caravans (due to caravans getting heavier, and the need for a vehicle with a higher Gross Vehicle Weight, to stay within the advised 85% weight range)

Unfortunately, because of a very small no, all 4x4s get tarred with the same brush, including those who off road, in a "legal" manner, and who show "respect" to others who are on foot/horse back!

Remember that geocaching is not exempt from having a small no (globally) who find/plant caches in such a way as to give the rest of the community a bad name!

Dave :huh:

Edited by Mancunian Pyrocacher

Arguments aside, it occurs to me that I know of an extensive network of byways (not a million miles away from the one I quoted above) which may make a nice 4x4 drive round multi cache. Hmm. I will give that some thought (and nick the other halfs 4x4) and sus that one out.

I am not anti 4x4 but I also do admit to being very bloody minded, and when the umpteenth one came up behind me on the Ridgeway, one time I was walking, so that I had to scramble up out of the ruts and onto the bank to let them go past (and splash me) I just decided that yes, they had a right of way but so did I, so after that I just walked along and they either had to trundle along behind me or try to get past me.

BTW, I go walking, geocaching, 4X4ing, mountain biking, angling, horse riding, canal boating AND I have one of those techo walking sticks to poke holes all over the countryside with. From this perspective I would say..... IT'S ALL THE FAULT OF BABY BUGGIES, LET'S BAN THOSE!! :huh:

You looking to grab some caches during the school run or before after the thrice weekly shop?

.....dons serious hat.

I'm of the opinion that this activity shouldn't be encouraged on byways in Britain either. Our wilderness is fragile enough without the encroachment of unnecessary vehicles on byways. Fair enough, the byway MAY be designated for any vehicular traffic but earth chewing 4x4s weren't around when that designation was made.

The way I see it, the UK can't possibly have ANY caches which need to be accessed by 4x4, even the most inaccessible should be walkable to. You have to make a judgement as to if you're capable to reach such a cache. Even if you could reach it by 4x4, you should be capable of walking to it, to prepare for that eventuality (I mean, let's be honest, very few of these "4x4s" are designed for off-road use nowadays as products are designed for their market, not some past purpose). In that case, why not walk anyway? It's healthier, safer, cleaner and less damaging.

I walk a lot and far too much "let's take the 4x4 up bridleways" and "let's bike down the footpath" is going on. I've been physically threatened by a 4x4 driver who was taking the family to a Peak District beauty spot down a footpath because he didn't want his kids getting muddy. I've been verbally abused by mild-mannered looking housewives who were watching over their kids on their Christmas mountain bikes tear up a recently (and painstakingly) restored forest footpath.

I have to comment :huh:

Having been shouted at and had logs thrown at my Landrover for driving up a road, that happens to lack tarmac, by a walker. I think this kind of behavior goes on on both sides of the arguement.

I was carrying very heavy Scout tents to the campsite at the end of the track. Sometimes walkers forget they are walking on a road!!

Edited by Icenians

Just out of interest. Why do people object to 4x4 on principle?

For example. Mine uses less fuel than my Vauxhall Carlton, is shorter than a lot of cars on the road, it's a Defender 90. It'll still be around long after the Carlton meaning the environmental costs are less averaged over it's life.

I don't get accosted in carparks if I drive the Vauxhall, yes it has happened in the Landrover.

Just out of interest. Why do people object to 4x4 on principle?

I don't object to them as 4x4's, but can't understand there attraction as a 'fashion symbol'. I reckon 90% of 4x4's on the road are used as a family car, never pulling a caravan, scout tents or whatever. A people carrier would probably serve them better, but hey, they're not as cool! :huh:

Getting seriously off topic, but on a similar note, is it possible to switch off the front fog lamps on a BMW? :huh:

Oh No! Now I've done it...

Oh Boy !

I should of guessed that I taken a hornets nest and shaken it !

To qualify my original question , I jsut wanted to know if there were any on legitimate routes , I too enjoy walking , but dadgum it shoot me down if I have more than one hobby !

4x4 arguments go on and on forever with green types and alike , all the cliche material is dragged up :- " School Run " , "fashion box on wheels " etc etc

I do not believe this is the place to have this argument , and thought that the diverseness of the geocache community would welcome a different way to find cache's , opening up the sport / hobby to a wider audience.

To all those that contributed in a contructive way without having to recall a story where a 4x4 ran you over to get to a cache before you ! THANKYOU

I will be trying out some of the suggested routes as soon as I can ( give me a wave if you see me ! ) I may even walk some of them!!!!

Be nice a fluffy all.

CrazyCucumber.

Getting seriously off topic, but on a similar note, is it possible to switch off the front fog lamps on a BMW? :huh:

It does not appear possible to switch off the front fog lights on many BMWs. Unfortunately, many BMWs were assembled incorrectly, and the fuse which feeds the indicator switch was mistakenly connected to the front fog lights, hence fog lights are always on, indicators never work.

Heavily modified citroen Saxos also seem to suffer from this problem.

Getting seriously off topic, but on a similar note, is it possible to switch off the front fog lamps on a BMW?  :huh:

It does not appear possible to switch off the front fog lights on many BMWs. Unfortunately, many BMWs were assembled incorrectly, and the fuse which feeds the indicator switch was mistakenly connected to the front fog lights, hence fog lights are always on, indicators never work.

Heavily modified citroen Saxos also seem to suffer from this problem.

And when the fog lights are on the whole of the right side of the car also becomes strongly magnetised to often extreme extent.

You can observe this when a BMW pulls onto a motorway and is immediately pulled to the right hand lane by the steel crash barriers. The force holding the car is so strong that movement to the left hand lane when the driver needs to leave the motorway must be rapid and as close to the junction as possible.

North%20Fen.jpg

Diveable...... probably.

Walkable..... yeah, right !!!

Yes, it is a byway and a legitimate playground for the local 4x4 fraternity but byways are also meant for walking along as well.

And in the near future I will place a cache in a site worse than that, you cannot possible walk to it (well you could, but wouldn't fancy it) so you HAVE to use a 4x4, hence a 4x4 cache !

Did Steel Gates a couple of weekends ago. Parked the Volvo just off the edge of the byway at the start co-ords (don't block the gate to the barn as it's in use 24/7!) and tried to MTB the route round the multi. Spent most of the route pushing the bike! Conditions are so bad at the moment only those with proper XC tyres, good ground clearance and a bit of off road driving experience will get round without suffering a similar fate as the bike! Don't forget your wellies! Oh, and if you're thinking of having a go, read the previous log entries about the second gate!

Didn't bother with North Fen as I could see a similar fate with the MTB!

If you're going to have a go 4x4 pair up otherwise don't forget the winch. What winch?! Bugger! Where's the local farmer with his tractor!!

Any time you want to come to South Africa ......... we've got some cool 4X4 sites.

One which has a couple of pics is the "Quarry Cache" where we managed to 'sink' a LandRover Discovery! Way cool!!!!!

Nice shot :D:P

not a caching shot but I have a picture of a landy nearly as stuck here. It did not stop running even while they pulled it out :DB) I SO need one :D

I was awarded a BMW company car when I was about 25. I had it three days before the wife acknowledged that my Mondeo had gone. She hated it, and it made me drive like a BMW driver.

My next car was a Volvo V70, which was fantastic. I could ignore the rules of the road as long as I went slowly and shrugged alot to make it clear I was a stranger to the area.

There's this one that I did on Sunday, although you could do it in a Smart car, because the byway is in such good nick.

Glad to hear that the local powers that be have re-opened that Byway. When I checked it out earlier this year it was closed to everything, even pedestrians and you could see why. I drive a serious and very high 4x4 and I would have got even that stuck!

Byways should be kept open to all traffic. Horses regularly churn up bridleways much more than a couple of 4x4s. Unfortunately there are some byways, particularly around me which get far more traffic than they were designed for. The subsoil in a lot of areas is also too soft for heavy weight vehicles, persons and horses!

As a 4x4 recreational user I try to keep off any tracks that I am going to leave tracks on, I regularly go on AWDC off road days when we can play around in as much mud as we like without going anywhere near a right of way!

It is the responsibilty of local councils to keep rights of way in good condition, it's good to see that Berkshire are taking their job seriously. I must go back sometime and try it (via Headley Ford of course!)

Byways should be kept open to all traffic. Horses regularly churn up bridleways much more than a couple of 4x4s. Unfortunately there are some byways, particularly around me which get far more traffic than they were designed for. The subsoil in a lot of areas is also too soft for heavy weight vehicles, persons and horses!

Some of the by-way routes I have seen recently around here have clearly been used by M.O.D tanks, their 4x4 MOG trucks and heavy landies.

You really would need a tractor to get thru now in winter.

Powered vehicles such as 4x4s and trail bikes have done massive damage in various areas such as the Dales and the S Pennines.We have had run ins with trailbikers churning up aN SSSI in the nesting season who later on the same day knocked a 71 year old gamekeeper down and then threw his mobile and van keys into a drain. In the Dales as far as I know greenlaning is going to be stopped because of the damage already done.As for the comments about the scientific paper quoted Iam not convinced at all.

Can I suggest (respectfully) these edits to the earlier post:

SOME USERS OF Powered vehicles such as 4x4s and trail bikes have done massive damage in various areas such as the Dales and the S Pennines.We have had run ins with SOME trailbikers churning up aN SSSI in the nesting season who later on the same day knocked a 71 year old gamekeeper down and then threw his mobile and van keys into a drain. In the Dales as far as I know greenlaning is going to be stopped because of the damage already done.As for the comments about the scientific paper quoted Iam not convinced at all.

Please highlight the selfish users of 4x4's indeed take their numbers and report them to the Park Authorities and or the Police as necessary(see above), but please don't lets fall into the trap of inferring that all are in the same bag.

Those trailbikers were criminals, nothing less.

I've not read the paper quoted so will reserve my opinion until I can.

Alan (a non fourwheel drive driver)