2nd Annual Forum Poster Of The Year

El Diablo

I can't decide yet. I have to ponder.

In the meantime, can you define "positive?" There are a few people that I would consider who have been what I would term "argumentative." But they were generally respectful in argument. I am also referring to people on either side of various arguments. E.g. I don't have a problem with people raising concerns/complaints etc. when they do so in a thought out and respectful/non-personal attacking way, and I think some of those have "led the forums" by both arguing respectfully at times and by generally being helpful at times to new people etc. I also know of people who have argued the other side in respectful/non-attacking ways and were also generally helpful at times to new people etc. Of course sometimes things got heated, but debate is generally heated when people care about the issue(s), and the lack of nastiness while giving well thought out opinions, epecially when they are strong opinions, is something I highly respect. But if "positive" means non-argumentative or non-debtaing, I would have to rule them out.

It might not matter though, I am thinking now of a couple of people who generally are just plain fun and helpful.

I have to ponder. Give me a day or two..... <_<

In the meantime, can you define "positive?" There are a few people that I would consider who have been what I would term "argumentative." But they were generally respectful in argument. I am also referring to people on either side of various arguments. E.g. I don't have a problem with people raising concerns/complaints etc. when they do so in a thought out and respectful/non-personal attacking way, and I think some of those have "led the forums" by both arguing respectfully at times and by generally being helpful at times to new people etc. I also know of people who have argued the other side in respectful/non-attacking ways and were also generally helpful at times to new people etc. Of course sometimes things got heated, but debate is generally heated when people care about the issue(s), and the lack of nastiness while giving well thought out opinions, epecially when they are strong opinions, is something I highly respect. But if "positive" means non-argumentative or non-debtaing, I would have to rule them out.

It might not matter though, I am thinking now of a couple of people who generally are just plain fun and helpful.

I think you just describe it.

El Diablo

I want to nominate MonkeyBrad.  He doesn't speak often, but when he does, he always has something intelligent and well thought out to say.

Monkeybrad is one of the people on my list of about 10-12 or so.

List for what? <_<

Sorry just can't help myself while you are wearing that avatar outfit. :o

I don't think Scoot will like that very much. Get your head out of the gutter. lol.

I'd like to nominate the Off Topic leaders- Stunod, The Leprechauns, Team GPSaxophone & hydee. For taking on a job that everyone thought would be impossible to do. That part of the forums is so much better than many people thought it could be. It is due in no small part to them. I would also like to add that everyone one else in that corner of the sandbox is also deserving of mention. There is a lot more sand thrown about out here than in there.

I nominate carleenp. Not because she led the forums or anything like that, but because she was able to type over 100 words without using "angst". Send her a hiking stick <_<<_<:angry:

I'd have to say Markwell is up there. He had disappeared for a while, but has made a resurgance and his posts are always very helpful. Cybret is also a candidate. He's usually in the Getting Started forum, ready to help any newbies with questions.

Of course CarleenP is always a key contributor and never has a bad thing to say about anyone. Oh well, there was that once, but he deserved it.

Robespierre has also been a solid contributor with helpful suggestions in the Gerting Started forum. And there are people like Lep, Johnny Vegas and Doc Dean who are always ready to help out and have valuable things to say.

And Criminal is always there for comic relief. I know his posts are always good for a chuckle and sometimes a real ROTFMLO.

I'd like to nominate the Off Topic leaders- Stunod, The Leprechauns, Team GPSaxophone & hydee. For taking on a job that everyone thought would be impossible to do. That part of the forums is so much better than many people thought it could be. It is due in no small part to them. I would also like to add that everyone one else in that corner of the sandbox is also deserving of mention. There is a lot more sand thrown about out here than in there.

Wow, I was a contender last year. I knew I wouldn't win though.

I knew I wouldn't be mentioned for the main forum this year, but wow..... I feel kinda slapped for not getting mentioned in OT. :lol:<_< I'm gonna let my neighbor's cat leave a present on your side of the sandbox. :D

BTW Carleen gets MY vote. :D

Edited by Snoogans

I am going to do this by forums, and only the ones that I know enough about. Plus I can't narrow it down to one person in many cases:

For Getting Started: Cybret and Markwell

For Off Topic: Snoogans, Stunod and Criminal

For CITO: MissJenn

For Great Plains: Welch

For Spanish Speaking: Garri

For General: Briansnat, Coyote Red and Mopar (Those three in a thread tend to make for some interesting reading and they often "lead" topics)! <_<

Edited by carleenp

I enjoy the input from many of the geocacahers in this forum. However, two of these geocachers over the last year have been my favorite ...

flask - she seems like a wonderful person and she writes some of the funniest things in the forums. Many times her humor comes at her own expense, but is very funny none the less.

Jeremy - yes I know he's the boss and I am not brown nosing. His leadership has been questioned so many times in the forums, it's not even fair. However, he always manages to standup for his belief and confronts all who disagree. This is usually done in a witty and many times very funny manner. He has had me ROTHLMAO more than anyone else.

Honorable mentions to: Mopar, CR, uperdooper, Briansnat and all the mods and approvers who volunteer their time so that all of us have a nice big sandbox to play in ...

Jeremy - yes I know he's the boss and I am not brown nosing. His leadership has been questioned so many times in the forums, it's not even fair. However, he always manages to standup for his belief and confronts all who disagree. This is usually done in a witty and many times very funny manner. He has had me ROTHLMAO more than anyone else.
I vote for KA. He has always kept a level head and leads us to where we need to be.

Well, I learned to use color the other day, so that qualifies me as in-the-running for the color award.

Before Jeremy was mentioned - who has been uncharacteristically active of late, and most effectively so, I would have mentioned my leading candidate: Keystone Admin. for consistent leadership, for managing to solve situations with little ire, for bailing out other Admins on occasion.

Wow, I was a contender last year. I knew I wouldn't win though.

I knew I wouldn't be mentioned for the main forum this year, but wow..... I feel kinda slapped for not getting mentioned in OT. :P:P I'm gonna let my neighbor's cat leave a present on your side of the sandbox. :D

BTW Carleen gets MY vote. :D

Snoogs, no slight was intended....just didn't want my post to be TOO long , so I just mentioned the mods by name. You of course are included in the part I put in bold in the above quote.

FYI: thats not a giant Tootsie Roll my dog left for you in your sand pail. :P

I nominate Upinyachit..... :unsure:

yeah, him! i miss him.

if i can't have him, i vote for whomever has that "24-hour modding/topic locking" keystroke sequence most readily available. yeah, that's my guy. real leadership qualities.

but seriously... the only kind of award i really want to see here is "least likely to be nominated for anything" award. by its very definition once you are nominated, you are ineligible to win.

the only award i ever got that really meant something was the coveted mark hawley award which i recieved in 1986. the prize was an indiana state tourism poster, a plastic spoon, and a ceremonial stuffing into the luggage rack of a bus.

i also won "miss unphotogenic 1984" and in 1985 i was the runner-up for "most likely to have an unhealthy relationship with a teddy bear".

i am generally suspicious of any award for which your friends can nominate you.

My vote is for Lep/KA. Almost always the voice of reason, with just the right touch of abject silliness. As a plus, he's got lots of interesting tent stories! :unsure:

I have to agree, They do a heck of a job, and I doubt I'd be able to do it as well.

If we have a newcomer award, I'd like to put up Star (Geocaching Goddess and Provider of Milk Bones). She's only been active in the forums for less than 6 months and it prolly responsible for close to 300 of our posts here.

Wulf

Edited by Team Tigger International
I nominate Upinyachit..... :lol:

Well if you use the criteria that Time magazine uses for "Person of the Year", then you would base the award on most influential, and that could be good or bad.

In that case, I'm surprised nobodies nominated the obvious choice: Ringbone!

Certainly one of the most oftly quoted cachers on the forums :unsure:

Hmmm, I see posts nominating KA. I left him out of mine because while I nominated moderators in several instances, I didn't want to do that for moderators in the general topics forum. I figured I would focus on posters there. But I do agree! So let me add a category to my list for moderators and nominate KA. :rolleyes:

...Well if you use the criteria that Time magazine uses for "Person of the Year", then you would base the award on most influential, and that could be good or bad....

Best led and most influential are two very differnt things. So for best led.

In the mod Catagory I'd have to go with KA. Hydee could take a lesson or two from him at least based on PM's I've seen.

In TPTB catagory I'd have to give a nod in Jeremy's direction for a slightly more open discussion at times. However as open discussion has taken a real beating lately, I can't quite make it into a nomination.

As for the rank and file, anyone who has the balls to take a stand on an issue they believe in come hell or highwater gets a thumbs up. However they also seem to get banned. So, in best led by way of learning and still slugging away I'm going with NFA. He took a beating and he's still here with a lesson or two learned on how to do things. Honorable mention goes to quite a few people who have had their turn on the soap box. More than a few names you recognize and if I tried to list them all I'd leave out more than a few.

In the sycophant catatory, well, there is no independant thought there so you can't lead anything. No nominations. If you are aren't a free thinker you can't lead a match to gasoline and start a fire.

Edited by Renegade Knight

me, me! i'm a spiralling sycophant!

and what's up with NFA? did i miss something?

one thing i've learned here is that people who spout the party line go to great lengths to say that they're not spouting the party line. i've also learned that the best way to stifle meaningful discussion is to simply label dissenting voices as "malcontents", "detractors" or "crybabies".

i'd like to go on record as saying that i really, really like gc.com. i like the services it provides and i like the way it's run.

with that in mind, i notice that some people who are not employed by the frog seem to wholeheartedly embrace every last policy and position of the frog simply because the frog said it. there's a pervasive attitude that truly supportive people cheerfully accept all of this site's policies as the ONLY GEOCACHING standards.

truth is that there are a lot of ways to play the game and that people who play other ways are not necessarily irresponsible, unethical, nor are they crazed fringe elements. i approve of this site's policies and standards for the most part. i just take a view that they may not be the only acceptable variations out there.

soooo... what's the definition of "positive"? "toes the line"? "provides meaningful dialogue?" "comic relief"? "advocates for their own viewpoint?" "never diagrees with anybody?" "responds thoughtfully to questions?"

i'm guessing that CR and RK and maybe even NFA won't even be in the running. but they get my vote.

Hi,

There are so many people who, by my definition, make positive contributions to the forums that any attempt to list them would be the act of an insane person...here's a list:

• Briansnat
  • RK
  • Flask
  • CarleenP
  • Markwell
  • CR
  • snoogans
  • KA
  • Elias
  • Stunod

nfa-jamie

Hi,

There are so many people who, by my definition, make positive contributions to the forums that any attempt to list them would be the act of an insane person...here's a list:

•  
  • Briansnat

• RK

• Flask

• CarleenP

• Markwell

• CR

• snoogans

• KA

• Elias

• Stunod

nfa-jamie

Those are all good nominations for one reason or another. The great thing about doing this nomination is to let people know what thaey say in the forums does make an impact.

I still go with KA. He always seems to get us back on track and to focus. Carleenp is still the close second followed by Briansnat.

NFA is starting to make a presence. Stunod is very steady. RK has always been one to make you think on a different plane....closely followed by CR. I haven't quite figured him out, he just seems very angry.

Snoogans is another person that can make you stop and think. Of course Markwell is just legendary, not as active as he once was...but getting better.

One I haven't seen mentioned is jul66l3r. I hope I spelled his name right. Anyways he is a lot like RK...a person that will make you look at the subject from a different perspective.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo