Where Did You Learn?

gecko1990

I only learned about it 11/6/04 in the Parade magazine insert in the Sunday paper. By the 9th, I had my first GPSr and on the 10th I had found my 1st cache! :lol: I think I was hooked from the first paragraph! I just found my 25th today, and that is only because my boss won't let me out of work to Geocache! :lol: That dang job!

I only learned about it 11/6/04 in the Parade magazine insert in the Sunday paper. By the 9th, I had my first GPSr and on the 10th I had found my 1st cache! :( I think I was hooked from the first paragraph! I just found my 25th today, and that is only because my boss won't let me out of work to Geocache! :lol: That dang job!

Wow! You've only been geocaching for four days longer than I and you've found 25 caches already?!? :lol:

We've only found eight so far.

*must - resist - urge - to - call - in - sick - tomorrow* :)

TeamTeeGee, I notice that you have placed 4 caches already! There are so many in my area that I'm looking for just the PERFECT spot to place one. I should just bite the bullet, but every one I find seems so much more inventive than the last that I want to get a few more Ideas first!

I noticed this thing called geocaching mentioned in a long time chat bud's profile. I checked it out, thought it would be cool, got a gps from another bud for 40 bucks, and I'm lov'n it. Now that I see it's not just a passing fad for me, I'm looking to get a new gpsr soon. My other half now knows when we make a road trip, there's a few cache spots already mapped out.

I read about it in the local paper back in 7/04. It sounded fun, and the more I thought about the cooler it seemed. Had an etrex within a week and found my first cache on the following weekend. I only found one cache that first day, then spent the next 8 hours looking for another one, couldn't get close to it! Well, that didn't deter me (suprisingly!), and I have been hooked ever since!

TeamTeeGee, I notice that you have placed 4 caches already! There are so many in my area that I'm looking for just the PERFECT spot to place one. I should just bite the bullet, but every one I find seems so much more inventive than the last that I want to get a few more Ideas first!

Well there's the difference. There are quite a few around my vicinity, but in order for me to find twenty-five, I'll have to do a bit of traveling all over my county. Not that there's a problem with that mind you. :lol:

As for the ones we've hidden, I credit my nosey little sister to being my inspiration for "caching" back when we were kids. She was always getting into my stuff so I had to get good at hiding things. I guess it's like riding a bicycle because once we found out about geocaching it wasn't much of a problem to get devious and sneaky once again. :(:lol:

A survey on scubadiving.com asked about geocaching, and not ever hearing the term before I jumped on the search engine, and here I am. Though I will admit, diving and caching don't overlap too well.... "do I hit the surf or the hills, decisions decisions?" My only problem is that I don't have enough time to do each as much as I would like.

A coworker of mine, Jamie Z mentioned it in a carpool one day, and my interest was piqued. We found a local (and I now realize, really lame) micro. I was so excited at the time, I could barely contain myslef. I am now well on my way to placing my first cache, and looking forward to enjoying the game with my family.

Edited by Martindav

Here's the whole story as told in my first log:

Hey, my friends and I were exploring GHSP and found your cache totally by accident. Between the three of us we have about 90 years of camping and hiking experience and none of us had ever heard of geocaching. Now, two days later, I am a payed member of geocaching.com and already bought my first GPS. Needless to say we were very impressed with the game and excited to start playing. We weren't expecting to find treasure that day so we had very little to leave. I did have a credit card size magnifying glass in my wallet, so I left that and we took a piece of paper to write down the web address and signed the log book. We also hid the cache a little better than we found it to avoid someone else stumbling across it by accident. Thank you for accidentally turning us on to this real cool game, can't wait to start playing for real.

Well, not to try to sound whatever....but I was actively posting to sci.geo.satellite-nav when the first caches were being placed and hunted. I thought it sounded like a cool idea but they were several states away from me. I figured it would only be a local thing or very wide-spread (low density)

Time, life, and other interest inserted here......

My wife hears about letterboxing from one of her friends and starts checking that out on line. (This last summer, probably about July) So I take a look and see a link to geocaching and well....here I am thinking, "Wow, that really did take off."

Edited by wolves shepherd

I read about it in a local tech mag (www.wirehed.com) about 2 years ago. They had an article where they took about 4 beautiful local strippers out into the woods for some geocaching fun. (babes are geeks too) Then I read about it again in the blog http://www.wilwheaton.net/ and it sounded really fun. Unfortunately, I never really had the money for a GPSr. Then, just recently, I was able to justify using financial aid funds for a GPSr because I could use geocaching for a project in my Aerobics class. I've found 10 caches in the last 3 weeks. It's been fun.

I was reading an article about where's george and 1000journals and the camera project (I don't remember what it was called) and it talked about bookcrossing and this site.

I was reading articles on the site and there's an article about these two people form northern michigan looking for a cache in a white pipe in three feet of snow. I thought "man, they're as crazy as I am"

So I emailed a local cacher, he took me out to three caches, and I'm hooked.

my ex husband and i had just separated and i knew i was going to have to find new things to do to get me out of the house - so i looked up outdoors activites locally and came across http://www.kywilderness.com there happened to be an article or a post of the forum about geocaching and i was hooked - ordered the GPS that day, and had my first cache under my belt two weeks later.

i just hit 1000 caches yesterday and still goin strong! =)

'neko

the white diamond pirates

wheresgeorge.com

no, looked at the site a couple times over a few months. Thought it was interesting, but not having a gps and no caches 'nearby' (though now it doesn't seem that fair :blink: ) Didn't really interested untill I realized I would be camping in a park that had a cache at the end up of the summer, so i ordered a cheap gps and gave it a try.

In the spring of 03 the Travel Chanel had the top ten treasure hunts and geocaching was around #5. When I got my RINO in October of 03 and was trying to figure out a way to learn how to use it I checked out the GC site and thought "this will be something to do for a couple of weeks until I learn how to use this thing."

GEO.JOE