Music On A Cache Page

Chaz

I agree with Doc, I do not like music of cache pages, it is annoying in the same league as finger nails on a black board, as annoying as screaming kids in a nice restaurant, as annoying as missing a FTF close to your home because you went on vacation, as annoying as being stuck behind some one going 20 MPH at 2AM when you are trying to get a FTF, as annoying as watching a politician on TV knowing if his lips are moving he's lying. What can I say- I hate music in cache pages

WHY!?

The only time I might see a reason if it is a mystery cache and you must listen to a WAV-file (or similar) to solve the mystery. Otherwise - NOOOOOOOOO MUSIC!

It is also annoying with flashing things, fiftynine different fonts in 20 different colors, and a lot of junk written especially for IE or Netscape or something else...

Keep it clean and simple...

And very often do not people think that a lot of users have PQ, and it can be horrible to see what is on the cache page on a monochrome screen on a PDA, if people have a lot of colors on the cache page.

Edited by hedberg

The main reason I don't like it is because every time I open one of those pages at work, my computer crashes. Admittedly, I am running Windows 98 and IE 6.0.28 (having recently upgraded from stone tablet and chisel), but still . . .

No fun to lock up the computer while browsing caches (when I should be working).

Check out this page -

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...cd-e6324fbb4b4b

and tell me you want to hear that every time you go to the page -

or worse, notice that is starts with a number - it sorts before letters -

GSAK comes up everytime with this blasting at me - finally found a cache with a lesser number to add in front of it.

It is loud even with my volume down to about 25%

----------

music files take a lot of time to download - this angers most with modem connections.

Edited by CompuCash
This chap has lots of caches in my area, and many have this sound. I startles me every time I land on one of his cache pages. It may not seem like much when you hear it once but about the 10th time that happens in a 20 minute session your nerves start sending out static electricity signals. :D Edited by Thot
This chap has lots of caches in my area, and many have this sound.  I startles me every time I land on one of his cache pages.  It may not seem like much when you hear it once but about the 10th time that happens in a 20 minute session your nerves start sending out static electricity signals.  :yikes:

Oh, geez, Thot, that was HORRIBLE. I couldn't resist clicking on the link. Unfortunately, I was wearing headphones. Or fortunately, considering I'm in an office.

As a rough estimate, I've opened well in excess of 5,000 cache pages, more than a hundred of which had sound files. A grand total of one cache page had sound effects that I liked. For that cache, the spooky background music actually added to the experience of reading about the mystery that unfolds in the multicache. It actually made me want to try the cache, and someday I shall.

None of the other examples of sound effects have done much for me, other than to annoy me.

Respect those odds.

Oh, I almost forgot the link to The Devil's Panties

Ditto here, JV..

I think that the problem with sound is that most of the sounds aren't neccessary for the cache. Nor are they related. It would be one thing to do a cache related to Rascal Flatts and have their music as background, but since 99.9% of the sounds are just there because someone figured out how to do it.........

I say leave it off unless you have some really really really really really really really really really really really really really good reason to put it there - and even then, give it a second (or third) thought before you do.

As Thumper, from Bambi, would wasy "If you can't say something nice then don't say nothing at all." Shees the person asl a SIMPLE question if you CAN'T answer it then DON'T lecture him on you pet peeves. If you don't like music then why do you have a sound card. I read this thread because it might contain some good info but NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It contained more trash then. O'well There was a resent thread on the GeoCachign Topics forum that delt with pictures and music on a webpage so check it out Sorry I dont have the link at had but I copied it just last week.

cheers

Shees the person asl a SIMPLE question if you CAN'T answer it then DON'T lecture him on you pet peeves.

More than a pet-peeve, music on cache pages is an internet faux pas.

Based on the OP's question, people responded by alerting him of this breach of etiquette. I didn't see any ill will toward the person, just repeated discouragement from doing something that is frowned upon.

There's no reason to get out of hand from people expressing their opinions.

Jamie

B) Did I miss something here? :lol: The man asked a simple question. He did not ask for a personal opinion, otherwise this thread would have been labled, B) WHAT DO YOU THINK - SOUND OR NO SOUNDS ON A CACHE PAGE

B) HERE IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR Q. THAT NO ONE ELSE WILL POST!!! :lol:

;) Before we begin know this!!..

:) Groundspeak will not let you upload sound files to them. It takes too much hard driver space due to their size. Therefore you must link to them from an external source.

With that said, you need to obtain a sound file and then put that sound file somewhere on the world wide web. When you signup with an Internet Service Provider (ISP) they normally give you WEBSPACE. This Space is where you need to upload your sound files to. You'll need to talk to your Web Service Provider to find out how to do this. My ISP is Charter Communications and I have 5 Megs of Had drive space for a Website, and I use it to store among other things, Sound Files.

In the body or short description of your cache page simply use the following code to link to the sound. Replace the "http://www.somesound.com.midi" with the path to your sound file. FYI - Loop = 2 tells the web browser to play the song two times.

<bgsound src="http://www.somesound.com.midi" loop="2">

Save your cache page, and then open it. When the page opens, the sound will play automatically. This method is the simpliest code I know and please note, sounds might not play due to the various web browsers. I know on my cache page if I use Internet Explorer you get the sound, but if I use Modzilla or Netscape there is no sound.

For all of you who hate sound on cache pages. There is HTML code out there to embed a media player display and if you want to hear the sound, you simply click the media player's play button. Otherwise the cache page is displayed as normal without the annoying sound.

There is HTML code out there to embed a media player display and if you want to hear the sound, you simply click the media player's play button. Otherwise the cache page is displayed as normal without the annoying sound.

A link to that would be constructive. In fact, it seems like out of respect for our fellow man . . . err. . . person, any instruction for how to add sound should include such a link.

Edited by Thot

B) Ripped this from a website. Not sure if GSpeak allows the EMBED tag to be used, even though it is HTML.

To add sounds to a web page... we will use the <EMBED> tag. This tag supports many common file formats... such as .wav, .mid, and .au. Here is the basic structure of the tag:

<embed src="filename.ext" width=x height=x autoplay=x hidden=x loop=x volume=x></embed>

If you want the file to automatically play when the web page is loaded, set autoplay=true, if you do not want the file to automatically start, set autoplay=false. If you want the control box to be hidden, use the hidden=true attribute. Normally the file will stop playing after it is completed the first time, so if you want it to start over once it is done use the attribute loop=true. You can set the volume setting with the volume attribute, a value from 1 to 100 (default is 50). The control box size that plays the sound can vary from browser to browser, but some versions of Netscape won't show the box at all unless you specify. (145 and 60 are usually good)

Example of the embed tag...

<embed src="http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/davesite.wav" loop=true autoplay=false width=145 height=60></embed>

NOTE: Because this embed tag was not set to autoplay=true, you will need to click the play button to play the sound file.

You may use multiple embed tags within one page, but it is recommended to never set more than one on autoplay. It is also not recommended to use .wav or .au files in the embed tag, because they are very large and take a few minutes to download. (.mp3 also falls into the category of "too large to use".)

I must say, I have never seen a topic in which so many people were of the same opinion.

I must say I've never seen a topic in Getting Started where so many people went OFF-TOPIC by stating their personal feelings, instead of answering the poster's question. Fortunately, a couple cachers finally came through with the answers, hopefully, the OP didn't lose faith and quit reading the thread before someone finally gave a good answer......you'd think the mods would have stepped in and reminded people to stick with the topic of HOW to put music on cache pages, and take the SHOULD YOU put music on cache pages to a different thread......

Na, if he would have gotten the info to start with then it might have happened.  Would you tell someone what kind of shovel to buy if they asked how to bury a cache?

No, I'd tell 'em to find a natural depression to put the cache in, and cover it with a wide flat rock :blink:

But, that wasn't his question, was it?