Cache Hunters/loggers We Love To Hate

Coordinate quibblers: "The coordinates you gave were 2.5 inches off -- you should buy a real GPSr".

Terrain/difficulty nitpickers: "You call that a 2.5??? I found one back home that required me to deep sea dive to a depth of 900 feet and move a 3000 lb. rock with a crane on a floating platform, and that was only a 1.5 where I come from."

Greedheads: "Took everything, left nothing, couldn't be stuffed to sign your log. But I want credit for the cache."

Sometimes you just have to laugh...

:unsure:

Here we go again... I thought this topic had already been started and was called "Elite Memebers".  :anibad:

Other than the previous poster's one comment about the value of trade items, I don't see the connection with the other thread.

Just to share some cheap chuckles, my original post was prompted by a couple of things:

1) The coordinates of one of my caches takes you to a historical interpretive marker located in a small town. The micro container (an ice cube sized plastic container, which is described in the cache info) is quite literally within six to eight feet of the marker -- plus there's only maybe 2 or 3 places it could be located within that radius. In other words, I practically give hunters the location. A recent logger (visiting from the other coast and looking for the cache on his/her lunch break from a seminar) complained that the "coordinates of the cache itself should have been posted" (or words to that effect). :) (My guess here, from looking at the poster's stats [over 1500 caches found] is that he/she is primarily interested in running up a high score, was looking for a quick "cache and dash", and was disappointed. The "norm" for cachers locally is to provide coords that get you to within 25 feet or so of a container and then leave you with the challenge of actually finding it, rather than just leading you by the nose to a cache container)

2) Another of my caches is located in a rocky area with beaucoups hiding places. It also requires a bit of a climb up a rocky ledge in order to reach the container. Figuring that it might be a bit difficult without a hint, I encrypted a set of instructions to take hunters right to the cache in case they got stumped. I immediately got a logger complaining that the terrain and difficulty levels were too high compared to what he/she was used to (this was also a cacher from out of the area, as in #1 above). So I lowered the numbers a bit and, more significantly, removed the encrypted hint. The complaints about the ratings stopped immediately. :o

Here's another type of cacher we love to hate: people who will tear up an area like ATF agents searching for a bomb. I was hunting for a cache a few months ago that was secreted somewhere in or around a fountain on the site of a local hospital/health center. (BTW, the cache had been placed with the center's permission). The fountain was a beautifully-made little homemade job, the kind of thing that people build in their gardens at home. It was really a nice piece of work, constructed of uncemented/unmortared stone slabs. As I was (carefully and unobtrusively) looking for the container, a group of guys (one carrying a GPS) came along and asked "Have you found it yet?" Obviously, they were hunting for the same cache. I watched, horrified, as they began to literally tear apart the fountain in their search for the cache -- they were really pulling the thing apart. Needless to say, facility personnel came running. I spent a few minutes talking with the facility's folks (i.e. distracting them) while the other guys managed to put the fountain back together.

The cache has subsequently been permanently archived. Is anyone surprised?

Edited by Lucky_Strike
The "norm" for cachers locally is to provide coords that get you to within 25 feet or so of a container and then leave you with the challenge of actually finding it,

And that's just due to the inaccuracy factor of the GPSr's right? I mean, you don't REALLY believe hiders purposely post bad coordinates,do you? :D

Here's another type of cacher we love to hate: people who will tear up an area like ATF agents searching for a bomb. I was hunting for a cache a few months ago that was secreted somewhere in or around a fountain on the site of a local hospital/health center. (BTW, the cache had been placed with the center's permission). The fountain was a beautifully-made little homemade job, the kind of thing that people build in their gardens at home. It was really a nice piece of work, constructed of uncemented/unmortared stone slabs. As I was (carefully and unobtrusively) looking for the container, a group of guys (one carrying a GPS) came along and asked "Have you found it yet?" Obviously, they were hunting for the same cache. I watched, horrified, as they began to literally tear apart the fountain in their search for the cache -- they were really pulling the thing apart. Needless to say, facility personnel came running. I spent a few minutes talking with the facility's folks (i.e. distracting them) while the other guys managed to put the fountain back together.

Some people just suck.

There's something seriously wrong with someone who was tearing something apart for one more smilie.

The "norm" for cachers locally is to provide coords that get you to within 25 feet or so of a container and then leave you with the challenge of actually finding it,

And that's just due to the inaccuracy factor of the GPSr's right? I mean, you don't REALLY believe hiders purposely post bad coordinates,do you? :D

I never said nor implied that cachers post bad coordinates. My point is that a GPSr will get you to within 25 or so feet of a location, but not pinpoint it. That's why the one logger (who wanted the "actual coordinates" posted) made me laugh -- the micro couldn't be any closer without sitting out on the sidewalk in plain view.

I also had to laugh at the guys who tore up the fountain (laughing, that is, after I was finished crying). The guy carrying the GPSr said "The cache has to be here! My GPSr says we're within three feet of it!"

I kind of squinted at him. "Get out!" I said. "Lemmie see that!" Sure enough, his unit's display read something like "2.7 feet".

I hope he didn't pay extra for that.

My comment about the local cachers was in reference to the "out of townies" who complain because we don't post "detailed treasure maps" that describe or lead you right to the exact spot. Whenever I see someone who has 1500 logged finds and complains that a cache description didn't disclose the actual hiding spot within 2 or 3 feet, I have to wonder...

This thread wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't so TRUE! I've been behind several people doing similar things. I've seen areas practically roto-rooted while they were looking "inconspicuously," and I have been on cache hunts that rated the terrain as a 3.5 or 4, where an old lady in a wheelchair could've made it. I've heard people gripe that coords are 8 feet off. (seriously!)

Ya gotta love varied interpretation! :D

Dear Cacher,

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy my cache as much as I hoped you would. Based on your note I will review the Terrian and Difficulty levels.

As the owner I know the best way to find my cache (lucky me!) so I have to rely on input from other cachers to know if my levels are accurate.

I do however require that people sign the logbook to claim a find. I hope you have time to return and sign the log.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

ADDENDUM

Buck passers: "Despite the fact that fifteen other cache hunters posted that they found this cache with no difficulty, I couldn't locate it with a GPSr, a Topozone map, and a detailed encrypted clue. Perhaps the owner should invest in five or six more GPSrs to be able to verify his coordinates or else arrange to meet up with a dozen or two other people with GPSrs to verify the coordinates on the spot."

Driveby cache hunters: "My twenty-seventh find of the day. Pulled up alongside the site. Jumped out of my car long enough to sign the log, forget to replace it in the ziploc bag, and beat the cache container with a baseball bat seven or eight times to make sure it'll never seal again and ensure that the next cache hunter will find a soggy, unusable log. Thanks for a nice hide."

:unsure:

Edited by Lucky_Strike

The on-line log said "Lots of muggles. TNLNSL. TFTC."

The next poster said DNF (followed by a en-mail indicating that he had looked in the right spot).

Out I go to check the multi cache, and sure enough, no first leg to be found.

Checked the actual log in the cache, where Mr. Muggles wrote, "Moved the micro container to correct for inaccurate bearing." Funny, the prior 15 finders didn't seem to think so. Moved the micro? Moved it where?!!?!!!!?

No idea where he moved it. Thanks SO MUCH for your "help!"

In spite of the 50% skunk rate on the cache, the fact that I could not find it means it must not be there. Get off your lazy a** and go replace your cache. Clearly it's not there.

Oooooo, nice! :unsure: The "It's not me, it's you" element was exactly what I was driving at. I find the occasional "Go out and buy a couple more GPSrs" log comment to be particularly annoying.

In all fairness, I've had to archive two caches due to possibly faulty coords [1], so I recognize that it *can* happen. The spooky part is that both caches used the same container -- when I archived the first cache, I reused the container for the second one. So the container is obviously cursed. I'm going to burn it and have a priest perform rites of exorcism over the ashes -- just to be on the safe side. :unsure:

I'm about to archive a third cache of mine. It's the second time in the two months of the cache's existence that the container has been ruined by careless cachers (and the containers aren't at all flimsy), and I'll be damned if I'm going to replace the thing every thirty days just because people can't take an extra few seconds to make sure that the *next* hunter has something to find.

Bitter? No, but I'm working on it...

[1] Map services indicated that the coords on the second one were fine. It was just a really good hide -- I camo'd the thing really nicely and even *I* had trouble spotting it when I went back later to check on it.

I had someone log a find on my virtual and state, in his log, "I know right where this is so I don't even have to go there."

I "found" one of those once -- a virtual that was a monument on a Civil War battlefield that I frequent. I knew exactly which monument it was from the description and coords, but I did the owner a courtesy by taking my GPSr out there and checking the coords before logging the virtual. I "didn't even have to go there" either -- but I did. And that's the difference. :unsure:

Checked the actual log in the cache, where Mr. Muggles wrote, "Moved the micro container to correct for inaccurate bearing." Funny, the prior 15 finders didn't seem to think so. Moved the micro? Moved it where?!!?!!!!?

No idea where he moved it. Thanks SO MUCH for your "help!"

I once moved a cache (a magnetic key locker that was found tossed under a bush in the woods about 75 feet from the only metallic structure in sight) by replacing it to where the description indicated. But I also e-mailed the owners to tell them exactly where'd on the object I'd placed it, in case it wasn't on the exact spot. It really sucks to take it upon oneself to move a cache and not even bother to tell the owner where -- especially if the cache is a multi.

I had someone log a find on my virtual and state, in his log, "I know right where this is so I don't even have to go there."

Did you leave his Find, or delete it?

I e-mailed him twice, about four days apart, and gave him a little over a week to change his log or e-mail me the proof. Since he was new, I even gave him instructions on how to e-mail through GC.com. Since I did not hear from him, I deleted his log.

Then I heard from him. Boy, did I hear from him.

I think you should have just writen me, to tell me You would not except what I had done so far and incuraged me to try again instead of just deleting my log with no explanation.

I have looked at the phot's I took and I was write ther is more than one word, I was too busy today to go but I will do it tomarrow morning.

Hopefully you are not this rude to all geocachers I don't know maybe you like this idiot's art work or probably made it or helped to get it in that crumby little nieborhood. But for what ever trivial little reason I still think you should work with people not against them, I will get your word along with all the rest, then log it. delete the log if you like I will just keep posting till you leave it alone.

:unsure: have a wounderful day.

DANGER!!

This was the second cache on our trip. We found Park successfully but could not find Ice. We spent about an hour searching but could not find it. There were just too many possible hiding places. My son managed to disturb a yellow jacket nest in the vicinity and was stung 3 times. I was stung twice. DO NOT GO NEAR THIS CACHE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO BEE STINGS!! Fortunately, we are not.

An early log on one of my caches. This cache is located in a National Forest about 1/2 mile from the road, and somewhere around 40 miles from the nearest town. After logging his DNF he sent me an email suggesting I should go kill the yellow jackets. I can just hear it now "sorry Mister Forest Ranger, but a geocacher got stung and I need to kill these yellow jackets to prevent other geocachers from getting stung."

Out of couriosity, is he still an active cacher or has he gone the way of the 10 and split crowd?

He was a cacher for about 7 weeks. He found 2 caches in that time. The last time he logged onto the site was February 24, 2004. He never did re-log my virtual, but he did post a DNF on another cache four days after that cache had been archived. I still can't figure out how he managed to do that. :unsure:

And that's just due to the inaccuracy factor of the GPSr's right? I mean, you don't REALLY believe hiders purposely post bad coordinates,do you? :unsure:

I HAVE read forum posts of a few cache hiders who stated they have hidden caches 30-40 feet off the listed coordinates just to "keep things interesting" or not to make finding the cache "too easy"

That blows my mind...

Ed

And that's just due to the inaccuracy factor of the GPSr's right? I mean, you don't REALLY believe hiders purposely post bad coordinates,do you? :unsure:

I HAVE read forum posts of a few cache hiders who stated they have hidden caches 30-40 feet off the listed coordinates just to "keep things interesting" or not to make finding the cache "too easy"

That blows my mind...

Ed

Yeah, but with the margin of error in their GPS they may be putting it spot on.

I am pretty new, and still learning so I do not yet own any caches.

However, I have been reading logs of some local caches that I have been planning to find, and I have noticed something I believe is rude, and bad form.

A new cacher (newer than me) who shall remain nameless, has logged several caches where he bashes the caches, and the whole hiding effort openly.

I thought those sort of complaints were for private. I think it's just rude and potentially mean to say, horrible cache...so bad I dont know why I bothered.

What if someone's 8 year old hid that cache, and they are reading logs with mom or dad, think how they would feel.

Anyways, just my contribution.

We have a micro in a small park in the middle of town. The description plainly states "The coordinates will be "iffy". There is a lot of interference from the buildings so it may be tough to get a good reading. Have fun!!!!"

There have been lots of logs that include "updated" or "better" coordinates than the ones posted. Most by cachers with fewer than 10 finds. I have explained to each one of them that due to the very tall buildings surrounding the little park, the slice of sky is so small that you will be lucky to get much help from the GPSr. The hint is of a variety that if you just spend a little time looking in the general area you are pointed to, you WILL eventually get to the right spot. Its just a process of elimination.

Still, I have been chastised more than once about my "bad" coordinates and was told by one cacher once that the posted coords were so far off, I needed to either fix them or archive the cache.

Here's one I got over the weekend:

I went to Vulcan.

I hate micros.

I looked for the cache.

I hate micros.

I found the cache.

I hate micros.

I signed the log.

I hate micros.

I gave the cache ot XXX.

I hate micros.

XXX signed the log.

He hates micros.

I hid the cache.

:grin:

Boo hoo.

boo hoo.

boo hoo.

boo hoo.

ADDENDUM

Buck passers: "Despite the fact that fifteen other cache hunters posted that they found this cache with no difficulty, I couldn't locate it with a GPSr, a Topozone map, and a detailed encrypted clue. Perhaps the owner should invest in five or six more GPSrs to be able to verify his coordinates or else arrange to meet up with a dozen or two other people with GPSrs to verify the coordinates on the spot."

Driveby cache hunters: "My twenty-seventh find of the day. Pulled up alongside the site. Jumped out of my car long enough to sign the log, forget to replace it in the ziploc bag, and beat the cache container with a baseball bat seven or eight times to make sure it'll never seal again and ensure that the next cache hunter will find a soggy, unusable log. Thanks for a nice hide."

:grin: Now that is funny!

December 11 by ------- (12 found)

I Found the first waypoint, but nothing there but bear bottles and a StarBucks cup. Looks like the Muggles got it.

December 11 by -------- (12 found)

I believe WayPoint 2 is missing. There hasn't been a hit on this site in three weeks and there has been a number of wind storms. WP2 seems pretty obvious but no clues found there.

Two different caches, both logged by the same NOOB. This cacher has only been around for a few weeks which shows he/she is a total NOOB. I checked them both and they're still there. Just because he/she can't find the cache they automatically ASSume that the cache isn't there.

Edited by Anonymous'

"November 17 by XXXXXX (1412 found)

Too bad I did not have the most recent logs. I looked and looked for this one. The GPS was pointing to the middle of the field for me too. When you replace it, please try to get better coordinates. "

An actual log. The cache had been deactivated. Cacher looked anyway, couldn't find it (obviously since it wasn't there) but then came up with the brilliant deduction and included it in his last line. A real rocket scientist. Cache isn't there, but next time get better coordinates before replacing. :grin:

Same cacher:

"November 17 by XXXXXX (1416 found)

The first two way points were easy and fun. The area of the final had sticker bushes all over the place. That made for sticky and unpleasnat searching. THey need to do a good burn in there to kill off the multiflora rose! Thanks for a mostly fun cache. "

The cache is hidden within arms reach along a well used trail, provided a person doesn't try bushwhacking. It's a nature area in a park and the cacher recommends burning it off. :grin: So much for preserving nature. Maybe they should put in concrete sidewalks and street lights too. I'll bet a Starbucks would also be appreciated. :grin:

"This cache doesn't seem too popular." -some guy with 2144 finds

Hey, thanks a lot! I placed a cache at the top of a steep hill overlooking a beautiful green valley. Not hard to find, just a bit of a trek. These are my favorite types, exercise and great views. I really don't care if it has 40 finds or three finds this year.

My first cache hide was totally dissed by one of the "premier" cachers who couldn't find it because he "didn't check the coords". Wow.

One of my favorite caches, Hike to Ika Island, has a terrain rating of 5.

It was attempted by someone who had 0 finds at the time (and has found 0 caches since), but with a huge attitude. He wrote:

What a nightmare adventure. We headed out as the tide dropped for a post x-mas adventure and made it within one channel of the island while getting quite wet in the process and we were wearing full chest waders. The crossings were deep but the mud was like cement and we sunk an extra foot in the mud and at one point my wife was stuck chest deep in water and mud and it took the two of us to pull her out. The final channel was just too deep to risk and the current was a little strong going thru there and all kinds of logs and debris were pushing thru. Doing this during hunting season is another big no-no as many duck hunters really gave us a strange look. We tried to circle around the deep channel and walked right into some posted "No Tresspassin signs," and some hunters who own the island. Eviedently this is a privately owned island and they have prosecuted tresspassers before. They were aware of the Geocaching as they had caught somebody a few months before. Signs were very evident and they made it clear that people were not to be on the island. The trip back to the car was misarable as we got more wet and almost had to bum a ride from some duck hunters. We were wet,tired and beat when we got back to the car and there was a note on our car that our license plate had been noted. The owners also told us the cache was removed. I think its best this one gets taken off the list. Fred Garvin

He blamed the cache owner for his own ineptness, including for illegal parking, claimed that the cache was gone (it wasn't). Sheer gratuitous nastiness.

He blamed the cache owner for his own ineptness, including for illegal parking, claimed that the cache was gone (it wasn't). Sheer gratuitous nastiness.

Well according to the page the island was posted. I'd be annoyed too if I went through all that trouble to reach a cache only to find its on private property and was confronted by the owners.

Edited by briansnat

Here's another post by the same cacher I quoted above:

" November 17 by XXXXXX (1462 found)

Nice job. I am glad I had my PDA and converter to figure it out. The description could be clearer that the cache is NOT at the coordiantes. I looked for a while and them read the directions better. Nice set up. "

He complains "The description could be clearer that the cache is NOT at the coordiantes"

The cache description says "From the point of beginning, (the above listed coordinates)go thence West a distance of 6 rods and 14 links to an iron box. Thence North 90* a distance of 5 links to the cache."

That's about as clear as it can get that the coordinates are the beginning point and the finder has to decypher the rods and links to get to the cache.

Of course, the exact opposite is the type of hider who automatically assumes you're the stupid one.

I don't care what you say, the cache is supposed to be in a tree that's 9" from a road that is heavily populated with children - and in a park. I have been there numerous times. I don't care if I have 3 finds or 3000 finds, I know there is nothing in the base of the tree. Grrrr..

After telling me numerous times I was just a noob and couldn't find it, he finally went back and discovered that DUH the cache was missing.

A lot of the people that write these logs just haven't learned that a GPS can't be right on and conditions change. They probably should get the help of an experienced cacher to help them get started. All of the local experienced cachers around here will pitch right in and help. That being said there are some people that still write the unappreciative logs because they can't be satisfied with anything that they didn't do themselves.

Terrain/difficulty nitpickers: "You call that a 2.5??? I found one back home that required me to deep sea dive to a depth of 900 feet and move a 3000 lb. rock with a crane on a floating platform, and that was only a 1.5 where I come from."

I completely ignore ratings, fwiw.

Agreed, it took me 3.5 hours to find a 1/1 in Wichita ...

Well according to the page the island was posted. I'd be annoyed too if I went through all that trouble to reach a cache only to find its on private property and was confronted by the owners.

He was never confronted by the owners on that hike - the island is uninhabited. When the cache owner found out that it was private property indeed, he archived it after all, but that doesn't mean that the ranting person was confronted with signs, let alone with a property owner.

There were no signs at all when I was there before that person, nor where there any signs when I went there again a few months later. The second time I circumnavigated almist the entire island by kayak so I'm quite sure. The ranting person who claimed it was posted never made it nearly as close as I did in my first attempt. He arrived from a rather dangerous direction which must have made getting close quite impossible. Sure, it must have been very frustrating, but that's no reason to make up things.

The notion that the cache was gone was just another nasty and unfounded comment.

He only has himself to blame for his ineptness.

I completely ignore ratings, fwiw.

Agreed, it took me 3.5 hours to find a 1/1 in Wichita ...

I wouldn't admit to that unless I had a reaaaaaly good story to go with it..

on the flip side i 'love to hate' hiders who

A. Mark the cords for their new hide once and then wonder why everyone elses GPS is 60-80 feet off all the time. Or

B. Hiders who put their cache within view and distance of a footpath that is frequented by Muggles and then makes it hard enough to find that it takes you 30 minutes of looking around (with an audience) in a compromised position and then blame you for getting there cache muggled.

on the flip side i 'love to hate' hiders who

A.  Mark the cords for their new hide once  and then wonder why everyone elses GPS is 60-80 feet off all the time.  Or

B.  Hiders who put their cache within view and distance of a footpath that is frequented by Muggles and then makes it hard enough to find that it takes you 30 minutes of looking around (with an audience) in a compromised position and then blame you for getting there cache muggled.

A. I mark my coords once and have never got one complaint of "coords were off" .

B. When I find caches like this, I mention in my "online logs" that the cache was poorly placed and wont last long. Twice I have made this comment about a cache, and both times, the cache disappeared.

Edited by Kit Fox
DNF March 23, 2003 by XXXXXXX  (120 found)

/snip/  ............. But could I find the ******, no sir-ee. A couple of concrete seats with the GPS pointing a couple of feet away but nothing to be seen apart from an active mouse. Then three stone seats but was rushing by then and they were a long way of the co-ords. Is my GPS reading correctly? Doh!

B)  March 25, 2003 by XXXXXXX (120 found)

Found at last. Must have stared it (proverbially) in the face on Sunday and not twigged. Deceptively easy providing your GPS is reading correctly. The cache is very exposed once you realise where it is. Are The Wombles happy with its location as its very much on view.