Rookie Of The Year

El Diablo

Ok, if we can nominate ourselves, I nominate me! :ph34r: I've only been a "member" for one month and already I have created three and a half avatars for other members, bought a compass/flashlight and travel bugs from the geocaching.com store, downloaded and paid for GSAK as well as given others advice on several different topics that I know at least something about, and spewed my humble opinions all ove the forum pages.

So I say Go Me !!!!! :)

This is tough!

Someone put up a list of the rookies for us. I have seen several insightful posts from new folks over the past couple of months, but would have a hard time singling any one out (because my memory is so bad).

I think I might have a hard time telling who is new, also.

I agree. I have a hard time remembering who is new in the last year and who is not. Plus I just plain have a bad memory and could simply forget someone.

Rookie of the forums eh? (Shameless plug: If it was rookie cacher it would be my daughter cmilk (chocolate milk) who has earned the nickname 'cache magnet')

I do have a couple people in mind, but I need to review the Getting Started forums a bit more.

Edit: Oh yeah, are we talking people who've signed up in '04?

Edited by Elf Danach

Well, I went and checked out dates on that Elf, 'cause I think that he's one of the most well-rounded of cachers...but he's also not so new. Takes time to become a pro. :)

So, yeah, it is tough. I remember a couple who have been prolific posters, from that thread the other day, but posting a lot isn't always posting well.

I'll nominate Explorer3. This family has only been caching for 3 months and have contributed greatly to our local geocaching scene. With over 100 finds, more than a dozen hides including a letterbox hybrid and thoughtful, interesting logs. The forums are such a miniscule part of this sport. Actually hiding caches, trading properly, and searching for hides are the key.

Can I nomimate myself as "most promising new user"? I've only been at it one month but I've already found 30, hidden 2, attended a local event and been written up in my local newspaper for geocaching -- as well as received one caching-related speeding ticket, and started to get active in the forums.

... come to think of it, 30/2 probably ain't all that hot compared to some, but hey. When the paper wrote that article I had only 4 cache finds to my name. :) I've about doubled that number every week since then :ph34r:

Can I nomimate myself as "most promising new user"?  I've only been at it one month but I've already found 30, hidden 2, attended a local event and been written up in my local newspaper for geocaching -- as well as received one caching-related speeding ticket, and started to get active in the forums.

... come to think of it, 30/2 probably ain't all that hot compared to some, but hey.  When the paper wrote that article I had only 4 cache finds to my name. :)  I've about doubled that number every week since then :huh:

Jay, I must be right on track! I started six days ago and have found six caches. Tomorrow, I'm scoping out a spot to hid my own. Now I know who I have to beat!

:ph34r:

I'll nominate Explorer3. This family has only been caching for 3 months and have contributed greatly to our local geocaching scene. With over 100 finds, more than a dozen hides including a letterbox hybrid and thoughtful, interesting logs. The forums are such a miniscule part of this sport. Actually hiding caches, trading properly, and searching for hides are the key.

Now that the obviouse has been pointed out to me I have to agree. Caching had stagnated arund here due to too much spillage from maggotville. Explorer3 pretty much came out of nowhere and led the charge to revitalize caching in the area.

Rookie of the year? Pyewacket by far. In less than one year she has become a valued contributor to these forums and one of the key movers behind Today's Cacher magazine.

Oh, my...I can't tell you how flattered I am; a nomination from one of the cachers I most admire. Thanks, Brian. And Jerry and Elf, too. :blink:

Rookie of the year?  Pyewacket by far. In less than one year she has become a valued contributor to these forums and one of the key movers behind Today's Cacher magazine.

Oh, my...I can't tell you how flattered I am; a nomination from one of the cachers I most admire. Thanks, Brian. And Jerry and Elf, too. :blink:

I was gonna second the nomination until she said she admired Brian...

:D:lol:

Edited by Stunod
Rookie of the year? Pyewacket by far. In less than one year she has become a valued contributor to these forums and one of the key movers behind Today's Cacher magazine.

i agree. i don't know where she gets the energy. pye is something rare. a truely nice person from her head to her toes. she gets my vote. :blink:

i agree. i don't know where she gets the energy. pye is something rare. a truely nice person from her head to her toes. she gets my vote. :blink:

Mushy post alert...

I don't have the energy to go caching nearly as much as I'd like, but, to be honest, I truly do live vicariously through the cachers with whom I'm in contact here in the forums, the chat room, and Today's Cacher. Those who can, do. Those who can't as much as they'd like, write about it to maintain the passion. I'm very lucky in that regard; writing about caching, and reading what all of you write holds my enthusiasm for caching, which has done more for me than any of you will know.

After going for SO long, feeling left out of so much, I've literally been moved to tears today, knowing that the people I admire and appreciate believe that I'm a viable part of this community. When I say I'm humbled by this, it's an understatement.

Never have I been in touch with such a diverse group of people, yet like-minded in their spirit for caching. It's not all about the numbers...unless you count the friends you've made and the number of times your self-esteem has doubled.

I may be premature in making this "speech"; I haven't won a trophy or anything, and there are other "noobs" who have made many valuable contributions. Even if there's no "winner" of "Rookie of the Year", it doesn't matter; I've already won the camaraderie of people I respect and admire.

Thanks, peeps.

I just started these forums this year and would have to vote for myself. :D

Ok then since A...s was so quick to nominate himself, and then dispute my nomination of BS I guess I'll second his self-nomination. :blink:

Besides he's the only one who wants it bad (so far). :lol:

I don't want it bad, I was just trying to be funny. :D

It seems that the most votes have gone to Pyewacket, including mine.

So, El Diablo, just what does the Rookie of the Year win? Inquiring minds & all that....

I think she should get at least a certificate....

I agree. She already has a staff coming. (I swear Tee I'm working on it.) Maybe a certificate or a trophy would be good for you ever gets the most votes.

El Diablo

Man, I was lookin' forward to about a week of discussion....and then someone went an messed it all up by nominating such a great choice.

I may be premature in making this "speech"; I haven't won a trophy or anything, and there are other "noobs" who have made many valuable contributions. Even if there's no "winner" of "Rookie of the Year", it doesn't matter; I've already won the camaraderie of people I respect and admire.

And such a gracious spirit....I think the rest of you should geocide so you can return for next year's "Rookie of the Year" award...seems to be taken. :blink:

I think the rest of you should geocide so you can return for next year's "Rookie of the Year" award...seems to be taken. :blink:

Not so fast...We still have the 2nd annual "Most influential poster" of the year coming up in December.

Last year the winners were Briansnat and Criminal.

El Diablo

OK, here goes. It has taken me 24 hours to get set up to post here so I hope this works. I'm not really a cacher, I'm just a cacher's mate. Not a catcher's mitt :) Most of you would probably recognize me better if I was Mr. Pyewacket. I don't know if you will consider my vote valid or not, but if you would be so gracious as to let me, I'll vote for Pye. I too like Pye. :lol: She has become, sometimes to my chagrin, a most avid cacher. She doesn't get to cache as often as she would like, and she would probably do so more often if my schedule would permit. As she herself said, she lives the cacher's life vicariously through all of you. She spends enormous amounts of time working on the magazine. She buys all kinds of paraphernalia. She's got bags of stuff that hangs on her chair or trips me up in the dark. :) She does tend to go on a bit when posting advice, but believe me, she is most sincere. And she really did get choked up, wet eyes and all, when she saw the outpouring of support she got as a nominee for Rookie of the Year. My thanks to all of you for being such good friends and great companions :) while I finish my (thank goodness) last year of school. Maybe when I get my diploma and have more time I'll take a more active role in geocaching. We both appreciate you more than you know. Thank you.

Not to rain on the Pye parade...

But I nominate AuntieWeasel.

Since we're talking about "forum rookie" (no offense at all for a great online publication and effort from Pye), but Today's Cacher isn't actually part of the forum so I tend to discount it for the moniker being discussed here.

AWeasel started 02/04 according to the forum software and posted one of the longest topics that did not involve Abject Silliness, a list of pictures, or a flamewar.

While I can't vouch for every single one of her 479 posts, I know that a quick browse of a few pages of them hasn't turned up a single one that wasn't fairly witty and almost always useful.

That and I'm going with a campaign slogan of:

A Vote for AuntieWeasel is a Vote for Bob Rodent (R.I.P.)!!

puppy.jpg

WOW. Now we do have a contest. I must say the Bob the Rodent argument has, for me at least, raised indecision as to the here-to-fore locked up Pyewackit vote.

I miss Bob. :mad:

Edited to add: Thank you Pyewackett for all your hard work on the e-zine, and for your wonderful insight you've shared on the forums.

Auntie Weasel, thanks for being such a caring individual. For me, it is a tie between you both.

Edited by Captain Chaoss