Is Abject Silliness Dead?

Eric K

So where are we taking refuge?

The AS regulars are in the Off Topic forum in the Cheers thread for the most part. But it's for premium members only, at least for now. Don't know if it will change or not. You know how rumors are.

So far Torry and Webfoot have upgraded.The gang is all there....for the most part. Join us. :o

I would prefer it stay as a premium members benefit.

If premium members want to discuss things off topic that is fine to me. If you are only here to chat off topic and want to leave these forums because you cannot do that, then you might not belong on these forums in the first place. I'm sorry if that seems somewhat cold, but I think people that pay that little $3.00 per month should get a little more than those that don't, such as the added benefit of an off topic discussion area.

Not even trying to count AS, it looks like the OT forum has generated over 6,000 pageviews in the 1/2 a day it's existed. Way more then all the other forums combined. I think if GC.com is going to spend money to host a resource that has nothing at all to do with geocaching, the LEAST they should do is restrict it to the people helping to pay for it.

As a frequent AS contributer. I see the rationale for making it premium. Unfortunately since I don't need PQs or Premium only caches I am not paying 30$ for an OT forum.

Don't get me wrong I am alright with the move and I will keep caching (by which I mean start again) but I will just not post OT.

I would prefer it stay as a premium members benefit.

If premium members want to discuss things off topic that is fine to me. If you are only here to chat off topic and want to leave these forums because you cannot do that, then you might not belong on these forums in the first place. I'm sorry if that seems somewhat cold, but I think people that pay that little $3.00 per month should get a little more than those that don't, such as the added benefit of an off topic discussion area.

Seeing it explained in those terms, it makes more sense to me now. :o

Well, unfortunately, I can't become a premium member at this moment in my life, so I guess I'll have to say sorry to AS regulars. I will miss the family atmosphere. :o

It's kinda wierd, since there was a thread that was just up recently that had someone in it who complained about AS. Then, the reply was that AS was fine, because it was "grandfathered". Now just a couple of days later, it has been moved. I am dissapointed.

As a frequent AS contributer. I see the rationale for making it premium. Unfortunately since I don't need PQs or Premium only caches I am not paying 30$ for an OT forum.

Don't get me wrong I am alright with the move and I will keep caching (by which I mean start again) but I will just not post OT.

That's exactly my view. I am now boycotting the Groundspeak forums. Anyone who would like to join me use the Pm feature. :o

Unfortunately since I don't need PQs or Premium only caches I am not paying 30$ for an OT forum
Well, unfortunately, I can't become a premium member at this moment in my life...

I can't become a premium member at this point and I don't use PQs or do MO caches, so I guess I'll say goodbye to all of my fellow ASers for now... but I'll start saving pennies and someday I may be able to join you again :o

Yep, I think the creation of the OT forum is a superb idea that I've tried to bring to light all along.

Now, as to the 6000 page views in 12 hours and the pay to play nature of supporting that sort of resource strain that Mopar commented on:

There's going to be a period as the new forum is felt out by those who can use it of heightened activity. Aside from that, the same posts that were originally going into AS which can now be their own fun topics and much more easily followed are still going to be posted. In other words, the same posts that were just being piled into AS are just going to be in OT instead. The gain of others who might want to use it now that it's more managable to follow and the loss of those that aren't willing to pay to join back in are balancing and negligable by rough estimation. By breaking up AS into multiple threads, there will actually be a much LOWER load on the forum server (because each time it was requested, the server paged through to the right post number in the topic for the page requested...which was as I pointed out in another thread, becoming quickly unmanagable).

So, in the end, there will be no magnitude more or less posts/views than were already coming in and the server should actually be doing better now that the OT forum is spawned.

There are premium benefits like PQs that require extra resources. There are benefits such as MOCs that don't. Charging for the OT forum falls in the latter category. If that's the way it is, so be it. Much like a few of the other voices here, until now, I have not been able to justify the membership cost to myself and this by itself is still not enough justification.

Of course, an interesting question I just thought of:

If a regular member starts an OT topic in this forum, is it moved to the correct forum like any other thread in the wrong forum or locked?

I feel sorry for the moderators if OT continues to stay premium-only.

If a regular member starts an OT topic in this forum, is it moved to the correct forum like any other thread in the wrong forum or locked?

Thanks, but dont feel sorry for us. We are fine with the way things worked out.

A few threads have already been moved like that today.

I would expect if someone kept doing it after the first time or 2, they might be restricted from starting new threads, (if the forum software allows that?) or have all their future posts put on moderated status.

That's exactly my view. I am now boycotting the Groundspeak forums. Anyone who would like to join me use the Pm feature. B)

But is not the PM feature a part of the same forums you are boycotting?????? :o

Doesn't this thread belong in the Geocaching.com discussion?

Actually, the part of this discussion that should be there is off-topic for this thread. This thread asks if the AS thread was killed. That was answered long ago. Maybe this one needs to be locked?

bah.

thats all i have to say right now, is bah.

okay, there's more.

all i can say is this: for the love of (1) all things pure and holy (2) crap (3) sean connery, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to constantly be on-topic all the time. i have tried it before, and it sickens me to no end. a person can not constantly talk about one thing, or the many tangents of it, for months or years on end. i have tried in many other forums, and it just comes to a point where you have to say something completely and utterly stupid. i have tried to start AS-style threads in those boards, (in fact, in the off-topic section), and they have been closed.

i eventually ended up leaving the boards, because i just get bored with the dern things. nothing interests me anymore. i have said what i have needed to say, and read the replies i needed to see, and that was it. ... nothing to see here.... nope... life is all normal and on-topic here... hey look, another webpage! something more interesting!

i dont know what this whole situation is coming to... i am not a premium member, i have no way to become a premium member, i have no desire to become a premium member, so i guess now AS is now out of my life. and with AS out of my life, the geocaching boards are less interesting to me, and soon, i'll just be heading off to another board to enjoy myself.

oh, and by the way...

bah.

edit to remove a statement that didnt really add to my argument, and to say this: happy birthday to sean connery.

:P

Edited by artbegotti

I resolved early on that I would avoid GC.com inspired political discussions (unlike someone else I could mention who delighted in them).

I am not trying to stir up trouble or angst, but I must throw in my support for those who, for one reason or another do not pay to play.

We became paying members early on, because I believe if you use a service and can afford to support it, you should. I support NPR a bit more generously than what was asked from GC.com.

I do not look down on those who do not financially support NPR, and am glad to help sponsor a service that can benefit society as a whole. It bothers me to see that some paying members feel so little sympathy for those who do not or cannot meet their high standards, and wanted to express that not all paying members feel that way.

The non-paying forum users have contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the website. I feel bad that anyone would be left out in this manner, although that is not my call to make or to rectify.

Sissy

Bravo, Art, Bravo!!!

Well said.

This is a sad day in history.  :D

I know. Oh just to let everyone know I was joking about that boycott. I am extremely angry at whoever did this though. I can't afford the premium membership so I don't think any of this is fair.

So, is that the record for the fastest return after geocide?

:P:D:D:o:D:P:D:P

Bravo, Art, Bravo!!!

Well said.

This is a sad day in history.  :D

I know. Oh just to let everyone know I was joking about that boycott. I am extremely angry at whoever did this though. I can't afford the premium membership so I don't think any of this is fair.

So, is that the record for the fastest return after geocide?

:P:D:D:o:D:P:D:P

I never really left.

I resolved early on that I would avoid GC.com inspired political discussions (unlike someone else I could mention who delighted in them).

I am not trying to stir up trouble or angst, but I must throw in my support for those who, for one reason or another do not pay to play.

We became paying members early on, because I believe if you use a service and can afford to support it, you should. I support NPR a bit more generously than what was asked from GC.com.

I do not look down on those who do not financially support NPR, and am glad to help sponsor a service that can benefit society as a whole. It bothers me to see that some paying members feel so little sympathy for those who do not or cannot meet their high standards, and wanted to express that not all paying members feel that way.

The non-paying forum users have contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the website. I feel bad that anyone would be left out in this manner, although that is not my call to make or to rectify.

Sissy

Sissy, thank you very much for saying what you did.

yes AS is dead. i miss some of the people who came to talk. i hope they join. i feel $30 a year cheap considering all the laughs i've had in AS. it's cheaper than going to see 2 movies a year and the fun lasts a lot longer. a meal for 2 at a nice restaurant costs more than that and only lasts 1 night.

but I think people that pay that little $3.00 per month should get a little more than those that don't,

That's cool! Certainly, gc has the right. For me, though, AS has no shine. I think it's a little weird to have people say good morning and good night to each other...but, hey, if it floats you boat....so I wouldn't really see it as a nice extra anyway. I probably wouldn't even have missed the AS that isn't there.

yes AS is dead. i miss some of the people who came to talk. i hope they join. i feel $30 a year cheap considering all the laughs i've had in AS. it's cheaper than going to see 2 movies a year and the fun lasts a lot longer. a meal for 2 at a nice restaurant costs more than that and only lasts 1 night.

You don't have to pay the $30.00 all at once. There is an option to pay $3.00 a month through Paypal (that's what I do). The subscription renews itself automatically every month until you cancel.

I just thought that some people might not know about the $3.00 a month option and maybe that would be an affordable option for them.

I never really read AS...just because it was way too much to wade through. I actually prefer the off topic section now. You can pick and choose which threads interest you instead of wading through 217 pages of stuff.

I never really read AS...just because it was way too much to wade through. I actually prefer the off topic section now. You can pick and choose which threads interest you instead of wading through 217 pages of stuff.

You must not have checked up on AS recently. When it was locked, it had 1073 pages

That's how far behind she was when she realized it was worse than she thought!

You must not have checked up on AS recently. When it was locked, it had 1073 pages

So? She skipped two days... :P

so... where is this godly members only thread anyway? does a pair of invisi-forum glasses come with the three bucks?

It's in the Geocaching Discussions section, right under Clayjars Chat. Can't you see it? :D

Sorry....it's only visible to those who are paid members. :P It's there....honest.

Sissy

Thank you for saying this as eloquently as you did.

but I think people that pay that little $3.00 per month should get a little more than those that don't,

That's cool! Certainly, gc has the right. For me, though, AS has no shine. I think it's a little weird to have people say good morning and good night to each other...but, hey, if it floats you boat....so I wouldn't really see it as a nice extra anyway. I probably wouldn't even have missed the AS that isn't there.

I say this with all due respect, Robespierre........

Saying good morning and good evening in AS was just a friendly formality. It was much more than that. Much more. But unless you were a regular, you wouldn't know that.

It had its place.