Is Abject Silliness Dead?

Eric K

A lot of cages rattle when you ask about previous bad judgements by operators.

My feelings are that something as simple as how forum users and those new on the scene trying to get a bearing are treated can indicate future experiences with the organization.

What Sparky-Watts said about respect applies to everyone. I'm having to go a few rounds of emailings with Lapaglia about that very same thing. This entire topic is on its fourth page, and the question of where and how "Abject Silliness" has gone is pretty clear to me. But there's more of an undertone of paying members vs. non-paying members in this topic worse than any other. That's probably obvious to everyone here. But if you're new, the current climate is rough - and the casual user isn't always viewed as a potential new paying member, but sometimes as a slackard. To that end, here's an excerpt from my recent email to Lapaglia:

Being a perpetual non-paying member doesn't mean that the non-paying member does not support Groundspeak in other ways. Non-paying members do generate most of the raw product - geocaches. Geocaches in turn generate interest in Groundspeak's database and tangible products. Sales from the online store are not limited to paying members, and the expected trend is that as the non-paying member base grows (because it is being nurtured and cajoled by paying members and staff), sales will increase.

This topic is for discussing the former Abject Silliness thread, and reactions to its having been moved to the new Off-topic forum. A limited amount of related discussion of the pros and cons of an Off-topic forum is also fine. But in the past page or two, the conversation has turned to a more generalized discussion of issues relating to premium member services vs. member services. To the extent that one wishes to advocate change in, or clarify, the website's policies in this regard, such discussions are best carried on in the Geocaching.com forum. That is the forum to which Jeremy pays attention. Thanks.

you're welcome.

so back to that original topic... AS is gone to us non-subscribers, but not to you guys.

wow, thats about the third time we've tried to get back to here. we cant stay on the starting topic to save our lives, even after someone tries to reguide us back. i think this thread's almost lockready, in fact. all in favor?