Personal Profile...

We've all done it, gone to look at someones Personal Profile. Just recently I've seen it brought up in many threads but I'm curious...

What exactly are you looking for? What kinds of things do you like to see in a persons profile? Do you like to see there 'Top Ten' favorite caches? Their life history? Insight into their personality? Pictures? Stats? Location?

So, what is it? :mad:

Let's see........when I look at a Profile, I might be looking for any or all of the following:

1. A/S/L (age/sex/location)

2. Occupation

3. How long they've been caching

4. How many caches and the types that they've found

5. Have they hidden any caches?

6. Picture of themselves (I just like to put a picture with the name)

I think that's about it.

Location, how long they've been geocaching and the type and difficulty of the caches they prefer or have in their area. Sometimes I'll also page through their gallery and check out the photos and if there is a link to a personal homepage I'll check that out too.

Edited by briansnat

Interesting...

Okay I swear I'm not being a smarta** but what kind of 'insight' do the stats/types give you about the person? Do they gain more of your respect for harder caches?

So I guess from my profile you would then deduce that I prefer to do the "easier" caches? Not necessarily true but right now I mostly take my four-year old with me or I go for lunchtime caches when I can't go back to work sweaty...

Do I get less respect? (If I told you that I had 200+ finds on another account most with 2+ terrain, would that be better?)

Sorry, if it sounds like I'm attacking the answers y'all gave me.. I swear I'm not! I actually do the same thing and I was just trying to figure out the pysche behind it. (Plus, this is not a thing against stats, I'm not a numbers gal but I actually do like seeing them.)

Another reason I want to know is that I was looking at my boring old profile and thought I should add 'something' to it but sure as heck didn't wanna waste my time on something that people wouldn't bother to read. And I'm really not that interesting anyway. :mad:

Interesting...

Okay I swear I'm not being a smarta** but what kind of 'insight' do the stats/types give you about the person? Do they gain more of your respect for harder caches?

I don't think it's a matter of respect, but it may be an indication of the level of experience.

For example, I learned that in many cases, if one is going to seek a newly hidden cache with a high number of terrain/difficulty stars placed by an individual who had never logged a similarly rated cache, one should expect to encounter problems with the cache.

I check when they registered and the type and difficulty of the caches they like to find. Don't care about anything else.

The profile may be misleading, as to what difficulty caches you like to do. Some areas just don't have rough caches. I, for one, love a tough cache--but doing one would require a long drive and an overnight stay, and they can't be done consistently in this area. You take the caches that are handed to you, basically.

The profile may be misleading, as to what difficulty caches you like to do.  Some areas just don't have rough caches. ... You take the caches that are handed to you, basically.

You're right ... I should have written "have done" instead of "like to find." It is also true that in some areas, the types of caches the person prefers are quickly exhausted, and their choice is to find the caches that are there, or don't cache. Been there, too.

Edited by BassoonPilot

Wow, alot of interest in pictures!! I guess I need to start downloading more of those. I take my camera along alot but either get to excited and forget to take any pictures or just never download them to GC.

And and as for a pic of me.. not sure I'll include one of those. Someone just recently made a comment about not being scared of the rain unless you're the Wicked Witch.. well, any one remember HR Pufnstuf? LOL! My hair could compete with that anyday! :D

BasoonPilot, I see your point on that... but I guess we all had to start somewhere. :mad: And I have no problem with constructive criticism. (good thing too, cause I seem to get an awful lot of it. Hmm, must be something about me... :D:huh:)

I like to hear about any caches that they liked, or any stories they have. I did this with my profile (mainly for my own use, to store my personal log). But maybe another local cacher or someone visiting OK will find it helpful. I also compiled a list of all the local caches that have PI or thorns near them.

I like to see things that indicated personality. The kind of things that indicate more than the dimension I'm seeing in the geocaching logs and posts.

When it comes to personal stats they only come into play in two locations. On a cache find when they have a comment about a cache that experience relates too. For example I have 3dnfs in a row on a cache that is a difficult find. The two newbies I discounted but when an experience cacher couldn't find it I checked up on it and it was still there. Experience meaning lots of finds and so the angle to this hide is more likely something they have seen before.

The only other time stats interest me is if it's in a catagory I'm interested in like #1 in Idaho and that won't be in a profile.

I look at location, occupation and general information. I like to see other hobbies and interests. I enjoy the profiles that give me a little info about the person and I like pictures posted. Not that I have my/our picture, I have picutres of my dogs. They are cuter than me! (OMG! What does thet say!!!!!) :mad:

Great feedback so far and have given me some ideas (altho for now I can't really control my stats, gotta just keep plugging along, time permitting. :huh:)

Another reason I'm curious but probably didn't explain it well in the topic opener is, WHY when reading someones posts do we often jump to a persons profile.. what are we expecting to see? I a recent thread someone made a comment about an irrational cache owner and many jumped to look up the profile of the cache hider... Were we expecting to see three eyes?? What did we want to see? What would have given us insight into the way he was being? In that case there was something to talk about. Would it have been more dissapointing if there had been nothing on his profile page, or would his stats have been sufficient to 'flame' him?

BTW - there are a lot of cool profiles out there! Thanx to those that actually share a bit of themselves!! :mad:

I like to see a photo. When you can put a face or faces for that mater to a handle it makes it a bit more personal.

Me too,

I also like to see the area in the photo's.

There are many places I will never get to see myself, so a photo of the area is the next best thing.

I check when they registered and the type and difficulty of the caches they like to find. Don't care about anything else.

hehehe, check when I registered and you will be mislead, as this is my second account. (I don't use the first from 2001 nowadays, but you never know).

I like to read interesting stuff, I like to see something about the person, besides geocaching obssession, as that is kinda a given. :mad:

Someone just recently made a comment about not being scared of the rain unless you're the Wicked Witch.. well, any one remember HR Pufnstuf? LOL! My hair could compete with that anyday!  ;)

pdSTPNS0004.jpg

Surely you have nothing against redheads (or is that orange) like the aforementioned Pufnstuf. :P

Photos with faces are fun--the ones of the GPSr get old after the first few.

Guess I need to update mine as well - it's been WAY too long.

Can somebody tell me how to delete images from the gallery?

I see that I have a bunch of duplicates in there.....

Go to the cache page and find your log, then click on the link to edit log/image. Next, click on "edit image" and you'll have the option of deleting it.