Cacher Of The Month Table

Deego

Cheers Brian. My lucky 13th should have been equal 14th actually. I said I found 33 in Sepember but I've rechecked and it was only 32. Don't know what happened there, I don't usually have a problem counting to 33! Thanks, as always, for all your efforts on this.

SP

Edit: Yay, 300 posts! B)

Edited by Simply Paul

Question:  Am I the most committed (or comitable) cacher who only averages 2 finds a month???

:huh: Numbers Men Unite!! :D

Simon, I reckon you've been a member for about 7 months according to your profile and have 29 finds. Thats 4+ per month.

I've been an active cacher since August 2002 and with currently 71 finds to my name gives me an average of 2.7 per month. :lol::lol:

Whilst I cannot claim anything like your level of commitment I must surely take the crown as about the slowest regular cacher around. B)

COTM Dibbler! :lol:

Simon, I reckon you've been a member for about 7 months according to your profile and have 29 finds. Thats 4+ per month.

Blimey! 4+ per month - I am on a roll!!!

By committed I mean permanently logged into all four forums (GC.com/UK, GCToday, GAGB & GC:UK), dreaming about how many caches I could set or find if I wasn't chained to this desk, updating GSAK & GPXSonar even though I know I haven't got a hope in hell of getting out to go caching, etc, etc...

Keep your eye out though - I will be setting a creepy multi very soon - this one is going to be right up the nightcacher's alley - so to speak :lol:

Simon

Just noticed that Seasider has entered this month Deego and I thought 'I bet that event has scuppered a lot of hopeful forerunners' B):o:lol:

But after that unworthy thought had gone...it occurred to me that 'newbies'...cachers who have just started in the particular year that your monthly stats are published....might have their own stat list....now I realise it is a bit late to maybe incorporate this for this year ... but next year is not all that far away??

I am thinking about encouragement here to enter your stat list....as it could be possible that a lot of newbies (like myself) are a bit discouraged to enter their perhaps meagre entries!!!

Do you see what I'm trying to say? (very badly I admit :lol: )

Ullium.

P.S. Oh yes and what is this Trig point thing about?...surely that's not connected to geocaching stats ??? It has it's own website and logging facility!!

Edited by Ullium
Just noticed that Seasider has entered this month Deego and I thought 'I bet that event has scuppered a lot of hopeful forerunners' :DB):D

But after that unworthy thought had gone...it occurred to me that 'newbies'...cachers who have just started in the particular year that your monthly stats are published....might have their own stat list....now I realise it is a bit late to maybe incorporate this for this year ... but next year is not all that far away??

I am thinking about encouragement here to enter your stat list....as it could be possible that a lot of newbies (like myself) are a bit discouraged to enter their perhaps meagre entries!!!

Do you see what I'm trying to say? (very badly I admit :D )

Ullium.

P.S. Oh yes and what is this Trig point thing about?...surely that's not connected to geocaching stats ??? It has it's own website and logging facility!!

I am not sure what the plan is for next year B):huh: But I am thinking about a cacher of the year 2004 table (or two).

As for the trigpoints. I work for both sites G:UK and T:UK and was trying to be fair to everyone as well as trying to encourage people to partake in a trig or two. They are not all easy to get to as people think, some are I admit but so are some caches B):D

thanks to everyone who has entered so far.

Brian

As for the trigpoints. I work for both sites G:UK and T:UK and was trying to be fair to everyone as well as trying to encourage people to partake in a trig or two. They are not all easy to get to as people think, some are I admit but so are some caches 

Surely then the most reasonable thing would have been to run two lists...one on each website ... by mixing them together neither pastime gets a true appreciation of what is actually being indicated :huh:

Ullium.

Please keep the TPs in - it makes my efforts look just a little better!  Not much though in October, mind you one was in Istanbul! :huh:

Not much of an argument JS for keeping TP's in....I had hoped for a more reasoned response!? :D

Ullium.

Check out earlier on in the thread. The argument has been done to death already. I suspect everyone who defended TPs doesn't want to have to defend themselves over and over again.

Personally speaking, I really don't mind whether it's in or not. We do trigs as well as caches, and will continue to do trigs even if they are not included.

At the end of the day, COTM is supposed to be fun. It's not compulsary to enter and there are no prizes at stake. Lighten up people!

T

Please keep the TPs in - it makes my efforts look just a little better!  Not much though in October, mind you one was in Istanbul! :huh:

Not much of an argument JS for keeping TP's in....I had hoped for a more reasoned response!? :D

Ullium.

When I came up with the idea of COTM back in Nov/Dec 2003. I based it on the only cacher I knew ME, selfish? probably.But I wanted there to be as much scope for people to enter as possible. When I go to an area I spend as much time doing the trigpoints as I do caches, so I did not want to penalise people who may do the same thing as me. But in NO way are people forced to do trigpoint. The choice is in the hands of the cacher

Brian

Pengy&Tigger:

Check out earlier on in the thread. The argument has been done to death already. I suspect everyone who defended TPs doesn't want to have to defend themselves over and over again.

Thanks P&T ... I didn't realise that....but I suppose might have suspected there might be more than myself who were bemused at the inclusion of Trig Points in the tables :D

At the end of the day, COTM is supposed to be fun. It's not compulsary to enter and there are no prizes at stake. Lighten up people!

Yes I suppose if one can't defend the premise then falling back on '..is supposed to be fun' is as good a get out as any :DB):D

Deego:

When I came up with the idea of COTM back in Nov/Dec 2003. I based it on the only cacher I knew ME, selfish? probably.But I wanted there to be as much scope for people to enter as possible. When I go to an area I spend as much time doing the trigpoints as I do caches, so I did not want to penalise people who may do the same thing as me. But in NO way are people forced to do trigpoint. The choice is in the hands of the cacher

My apologies Deego...yes of course you are perfectly correct .... it is after all your table and your decision...but now I can see why your COMT has some notable absentees....one of which will be mine in future B)

No offence meant....just exercising my individual choice....as I recall you asked me to enter....perhaps I should have investigated the matter more thoroughily :huh:

Ullium.

The COTM scoring debate has gone on too long and some are themselves selfishly forgetting where COTM came from!

Brian, you've done a brilliant job this year with the creation and running of COTM. Its motivational value to geocaching UK has been immense and you should be applauded for your efforts!

Maybe it's time to look forward to 2005 by polling everyone for their return on how COTM should be structured. If you give a cut of date and then publish the results everyone will clearly see what the democratic solution is and we can go forward into COTM 2005 without any further arguments.

I must admit I didn't realise this topic had been raised previously...sorry about that :huh:

However on reading the past posts I see that most seem to have based their comments on the assumption that anyone who suggested a separate table for TP's was somehow demeaning the alternate sport of bagging Trig Points...I can only speak for myself here....but I see it as an equally enjoyable and perhaps just as demanding sport B)

But try as I might...I cant see Deego's reasons for not setting up a separate table for the Trig Pointers ...seeing that it should be a simple enough to copy over the html and change a few titles!?....I know it might even encourage me to bag a few if there were :D

In closing my comments on this subject may I echo Volvo Man's thoughts on the

matter :D

QUOTE (Deego @ Jun 20 2004, 06:17 PM)

There has been a few comments about trigpoints. Maybe they should be dropped if nobody wants them. I personaly enjoy them (as well as working for the T:UK site) maybe a poll is needed to see what people want, after all I do the table to give people a idea what everybody else is doing, as well as it being a bit of fun.

Well, my vote says, there should be a seperate Trigger of the month award (from DelBoy). I'm not knocking Trigpointing, but it's a seperate sport, a bit like F1 & Le Mans, Same level, diferent sport.

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium

I have never sent off my Stats before, but have just done so for october. I reckon that I will not be at the bottom of the table. :D

In a bit of local competition with some other geocachers, I worked out that my hit rate works out at about 1.5 caches per day, with theirs at 1.8, but I tend to do mine one per day and they do nothing for days and then a whole heap in one go.

However, my rate will now plummet due to dark evenings, bad weather and running out of handy nearby caches to do during my route to and from work and my lunchtime. :huh:

Alibags

First of all the COTM is just some friendly competition and second what Pyoung1s said

Brian, you've done a brilliant job this year with the creation and running of COTM. Its motivational value to geocaching UK has been immense and you should be applauded for your efforts!

I personnally don't do trig points and don't really care if they are included or not. I have only missed two months since Brian started COTM table and if Trig points were not included the end result for me would be moving up a place or two but so what? If I was a true numbers person and wanted to go for the top COTM then everyone knows the rules before starting out and would log the trig points I pass on my way to caches. I enter for the fun of it whether it's my high of a 6th position or to my new low of only 3 caches for a month. I find it interesting to see who has been out on a caching frenzie for the month as previously to this there was nothing.

First of all the COTM is just some friendly competition and second what Pyoung1s said

I personnally don't do trig points and don't really care if they are included or not. I have only missed two months since Brian started COTM table and if Trig points were not included the end result for me would be moving up a place or two but so what? If I was a true numbers person and wanted to go for the top COTM then everyone knows the rules before starting out and would log the trig points I pass on my way to caches. I enter for the fun of it whether it's my high of a 6th position or to my new low of only 3 caches for a month. I find it interesting to see who has been out on a caching frenzie for the month as previously to this there was nothing.

OK I was going to gracefully bow out of this debate...but ...

... Its motivational value to geocaching UK has been immense....

Can you tell me G Force.... where the evidence is for this statement that you totally agree with?? Personally I don't see it...what I do see is quite a few well known cachers who don't participate....what happened to them?? Were they not immensely motivated LOL LOL LOL.

Wouldn't it perhaps be more of an incentive to embryo cachers if the tables reflected just that ... namely geocaching ???

And while I'm on the subject.... why call it Cacher Of The Month ??....why not Trig Pointer of the Month ?? Think about it !!!

Remember this is just how it strikes me...and I wouldn't say I was immensely motivated....quite the contrary....so I won't be putting my figures forward in future as is my perogative ;)

I've every respect for Deego and all the effort he puts into it .... but I'm certain he will admit that if he didn't enjoy doing it....he wouldn't !?

Ullium.

....so I won't be putting my figures forward in future as is my perogative :o

Ullium,

You are now ranting. If you are not putting your figures forward then why are you this angry? You appear to be taking things far more seriously than anyone else. Do you have a chip on your shoulder or what?

Yes there are cachers who find a lot of caches who don't enter. However they do not insist on ripping it apart on the forums again and again. You said previously that you had finished with the subject, but now you are ranting again. maybe you just like to have the last word?

T