Storm Watch

Tenniskid

Wow, just from watching the news the past few days, This storm coming through is a very big one for our area! Portland, Salem, Eugene, Seattle, Olympia, darn near the whole state! We've got about 5" today in centeral Washington which makes me wonder about the mountain passes. Hopefully they arent bad, for people goin to Olympia for the cache machine. Just make sure to give yourself a few extra mins to get where ur going. The last thing we need is a wreck or something worse. <_< Hopefully this doesnt put a damper on the CACHE machine!

Here is the latest; doesn't sound too bad actually. Wish I could do the cache machine tomorrow!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA

945 PM PST FRI JAN 2 2004

.AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL MOVE OUT OF THE FRASER VALLEY LATE

TONIGHT AND PUSH SOUTH THROUGH WESTERN WASHINGTON SATURDAY MORNING.

ADMIRALTY INLET AREA-CENTRAL CASCADE FOOTHILLS-CENTRAL COAST-

EVERETT AND VICINITY-HOOD CANAL/KITSAP PENINSULA-NORTH COAST-

NORTHERN CASCADE FOOTHILLS-SEATTLE METROPOLITAN AREA-SOUTHWEST

INTERIOR-TACOMA AREA-EASTERN STRAIT OF JUAN DE FUCA-WESTERN STRAIT

OF JUAN DE FUCA-

945 PM PST FRI JAN 2 2004

...A SNOW ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY

MORNING...

SNOW SHOWERS FROM THE NORTH COAST TO NORTH OF EVERETT AROUND

MIDNIGHT WILL LATE TONIGHT THEN DROP SOUTH THROUGH THE AREA

SATURDAY MORNING.

MOST AREAS WILL SEE BETWEEN 1 AND 4 INCH TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS.

LIGHTEST ACCUMULATIONS WILL OCCUR NEAR THE IMMEDIATE COAST LINE AND

ALONG THE PUGET SOUND WATERFRONT.

A SNOW ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN LIGHT SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP BUT

ONLY ENOUGH TO CAUSE MINOR INCONVENIENCES SUCH AS TRAVEL DELAYS.

10:30am, Redmond (WA): it is snowing here. It's not those fat, lazy flakes from before. Instead, it's the small flakes -- the kind that come down when it's cold and there's a storm system hanging out. The wind has also started blowing, so the flakes are not drifting down in any sort of friendly fashion.

The snow is falling on top of the sleet from last night. Poor Aurie went outside on the deck and took a bit of a tumble down the icy wooden steps. :)

It sure is pretty, though. Maybe it's time to start a fire and brew up some hot cocoa. ;)

Cin

Edited by CachinCin

We're thinking it's too cold to get any real good snowfall. As the warm system works its way in you'll probably see some good snow before it warms up too much and then start raining.

Whatever. There seem to be enough imports out trying to drive in it and don't realize the black ice problems they will be running into. It looks like a good day to stay off the road for the time being. No sense in being their target.

Edited to add we finally see some snow on the ground, but it amounts to less than 1/4 inch.

Edited by TotemLake

We have about 1.5 inches at my house in Redmond, but they've been saying that the eastside suburbs won't get as much as Seattle and other parts of the Puget Sound. The snow is coming down heavier right now than it was before, so maybe we'll get a good layer of the white stuff.

Aurie and I walked down to Lake Sammamish -- what a beautiful sight that was! It's quite windy off the water, so the snow is swirling and there are white caps on the waves. The park, which is usually empty at this time of the year, was full of people with dogs. The sidestreets are full of kids with sleds. ;)

Cin

We only got an inch or 2 of snow but we have snow drifts! I don't recall ever seeing them in western washington before. Parts of our yard have almost no snow and then against our house we have over a foot. Very dry snow/ice with a lot of wind last night! Hard to tell last night when it was snowing and when it was just the wind moving snow around. ;)

There's probably about five inches here in Federal Way. It's a weird kind of snow, with elongated dagger shaped crystal flakes. Very cool. I love driving in this stuff, and love walking in this stuff.

Which left me no other choice than to log this cache today.

You know something's terribly wrong with the world when I can find a cache in five inches of snow without a GPS.

We got at least 4 inches here in Newcastle, as well. I live on the perfect sledding hill - downhill cul de sac - and everyone's been outside sledding. Then I strapped on my XC gear and skied around the neighborhood. Fun!

Of course, I'm supposed to be working....but can't get a network connection; everyone else from MS stayed home too and the RAS servers are maxed out.

Sleighbells ring, are ya listenin'....

Hang on People, I really think the worst is yet to come.

I am refering to Freezing Rain, especially in the Portland, OR area.

Trees and Power Lines can only withstand so much ice buildup, and then bad things start to happen. The forecast looks grim.

I hope I am wrong, but I am fearing widespread power outages and property damage from falling limbs and trees.

Edited by Peanuthead