Best Hiking Boots

ChileHead

Don't let anyone tell you Vasque, etc... are the best, or you have to try Salomon, etc... They might be the best for that person, but living hell for you. The best hiking boots are the ones that fit YOU. If you liked your Sundowners, I'd stick with them.

For example, I noticed a few people here rave about the Lowa Renegades. I own a pair and they are the worst hiking boots I've ever owned (see my review on www.epinions.com).

In short, get a boot that fits and don't listen to what others say about their preferred brand.

In short, get a boot that fits and don't listen to what others say about their preferred brand.

Or ... you could listen to what other people have to say so that you know which boots to look for and try on.

ps - sorry for the flame BS, you just seemed a little cranky with that response. <_<

a) my boots have to fit exact!

b ) once i find a pair they better last for years.

c) must be resolable sp? must accept new soles.

i really feel the sole of a boot can change the whole aspect.

i have danners, military issues and herman survivors that have had frequent sole changes and leather replenishment by pros.

if you find a good long lasting boot that holds its ground on wet rock and snow... keep em!!!!

robbie

Edited by robree

Hi I have had many boots (a serious camper for 20yrs) Head, loveson, merrel, salomon, Hi Tec, and a few others. I have to say my hi-tec were very good considering how cheap they were but my Head boots have goretex and a duradry lining for only£50 Also they have new technology in the foot to make them low impact on the joints. I would suggest at least looking at these boots before buying a pair of anything they REALLY are good. P.S I often do 15mile hikes several times a week.........Bifter

Pronator? Supinator? Neutral foot?

I pronate, have wide toes, and narrow heels. I tend to prefer straight-lasted shoes for that reason. Asolos are the best quality and fit straightish-last boots I've found, followed closely by Tecnica. (A true straight-last boot is hard to find. Like Birkis.) I can't afford Birki boots, or I'd have a pair or three. Brooks Addictions and Beasts are running shoes, but work great on simple trails, too.

If you have a favorite insole, take it with you when you try boots. I like 10-Second Stabilizers and send a lot of my patients to Playmakers.com to try them. They have a 30-day guarantee. Superfeet are similar, but cost more and fall apart quickly.

Try sierratradingpost.com for clearing house prices. I bought my Tecnica boots and hiking shoes from them for $25 a pair.

If you love Vasque, you won't like any of my suggestions because Vasque is a VERY curved-last boot! Merrell and Chaco are also curved-last. (Chaco farmed out their shoe/boot design work to Merrell.)

Any opinions on the Timberland Traildust? I like them, and they seem to fit well, but i'd hate to buy them if they fall apart in a week.

15 - 20 years ago, Timberland was a small maker of high quality footwear. Then then became hip, and mass produced and since then their quality has taken a big nosedive. I had a pair of Timberland work boots that lasted 16 years. When they wore out, my next pair didn't make it two years. I had a 12 year old pair of Timberland boat shoes. Same thing..when I replaced them, they started falling apart after a year.

I can't speak to the Traildust, but I was once a major Timberland fan and now I wouldn't touch a pair for free.

I just returned a pair of Merrells yesterday because while they were supposed to be waterproof... they weren't. They stood up to a few good soakings, but one day I really pushed them to their limit and they started leaking something fierce. After that particular moment in time, it didn' t take long before I was feeling the water on my toes any time I went out.

To REI I went - boots in hand. They took them back ever so cheerily and toted out a billion other pair for me to try. I ended up with a very light day-hiker by Vasque with the gore-tex liner/bootie:

vasque.jpg

I'm not under the illusion it will stand up to large amts of abuse, but am hoping it will get me through the winter (with dry feet), and then when the weather warms up a bit and I start pondering some of the longer hikes... I'll go back and get the Zamberlans, which were my second choice:

zamber.jpg

Course, who's to say either of them will be comfortable after I get out in them... I'll happily test away!

-=-

michelle

I just returned a pair of Merrells yesterday because while they were supposed to be waterproof... they weren't. They stood up to a few good soakings, but one day I really pushed them to their limit and they started leaking something fierce. After that particular moment in time, it didn' t take long before I was feeling the water on my toes any time I went out.

To REI I went - boots in hand. They took them back ever so cheerily and toted out a billion other pair for me to try. I ended up with a very light day-hiker by Vasque with the gore-tex liner/bootie:

The pair of (supposedly waterproof) Merrells that I had a few years back also leaked pretty quick just in light rain! But I couldn't return them because I bought them in Colorado! I curse my small feet that makes boot buying difficult! ;) Yet when I do find some, I almost always get them real cheap because the stores can't sell small sizes and put them on the sale rack. I have gotten $150 boots for as little as $39 before.

Anyway, as some have said, it is right that you can't just take someone's opinion that a pair of boots were great for them and go buy those. Different feet fit various brands in different ways. But knowledge that some brands might have a history of flaws is useful. For example, the thing with Merells as just listed. At least two of us experienced that. Also, I was always happy with Vasque, but my last pair started breaking down after only 5 months! Ack! Since I can't return them, maybe I'll try writing the company. I just can't see how boots that have not been worn much and not left in the sun or anything could develop deep cracks so soon. Maybe I got a bum pair.

standard issue black leather combat boots. that is all

True, but no pair of combat boots is ever quite as comfortable as the ones broken in during basic training. Maybe it's the drill or the obsessive polishing, but those boots became the most comfortable pair I've ever owned.

Definitely! ;) why do you think I like them so much?

I did buy another pair but it's nowhere near as good. The old ones need to be re-soled pretty soon, I have just about worn the treads out.

Real cachers do it in bare feet. I usually wear fairly inexpensive work boots, they are my all purpose, all weather outdoor boots. When they wear out I go spend another $50. Have gone caching in clogs a few times, every time I curse myself for doing so. Oh, it's only a 1/1....at the bottom of a mud slide.

I am going to eat some crow here and admit that I am wrong about this. It rained all night here last night. First thing this morning I went out to grab the next cache on my list of must does by the end of January. What was the Eddie Rabbit song, "Slip slidding away"? Going to have to buck up and buy something with real outdoor tread that is water proof. Thanks to all who have posted suggestions.

I've always been happy with Vasques when I had a place to try them on before buying. We live in the "sticks" now and I'm not going to buy shoes over the Internet.

I bought a pair of Timberlands three years ago and they held up through life, work, and mild hiking. I just bought a pair of Rocky's at Bass Pro after an hour of trying on everything they had under $250. The Rocky's felt great in the store and walking around the shoe dept., but after wearing them a week, they still aren't broken in. I've resorted back to the Timberlands until I can find an excuse to go to REI and get a pair of Vasques.

FWIW, Clarks explorer sandals are heavenly.

-E

I bought my latest boots at REI and they are Merrell's. Good medium grade day hikers, costing about $120 something. Mind you, I'm no expert on what is best, but I can offer this:

Find out through research what holds up. Make a list and then if you can, go to Cabellas, Bass Pro, REI, etc and with list in hand, try them on. If not, you take your chances ordering online. Just make sure you have plenty of time and they have a good return policy.

If you can scrape together $100 for a pair of boots, then don't pass up the $140-180 pair you really want. Every step you take will remind you of your choice and believe me, a 15-20 mile hike in one day is hard on your feet even with good boots.

If your hiking needs are rocky ground, get all leathers. If you mainly do Urban hiking/cacheing, then go with something more tennis-shoeish, but no low quarter shoes. You need GOOD ankle support.

First and foremost, they should be water proof and have a good tread pattern on them. When I was in the Air Force, I wore my Combats everywhere and wouldn't have it any other way, but seriously, for geocaching, there are better shoes/boots.

I would not consider buying a used boot off of ebay.

Shoes and boots are very relative to the wearer. However, if the boot has an excellent history/warranty you can not go wrong (after actually wearing them). All this is just my opinion, YMMV. BB