Claiming Your Hides As Find!

graldrich

Can you technically.... yes

Should you morally.... no

There are exceptions. If you hide it and one of your family members finds it and you all share the same name then I think that is ok.

If you hide it and your find your own hide, I don't think that should count.

It only matters if you play the game to compete. Not everyone does.

It's generally bad form. But we all learn.

Some people figure that if some finder moves it and you have to go find your own cache to maintain it because it's not where you put it that counts as a find. While I rather think it's still bad form, they do have a point.

I've been skunked on my own cache due to being moved before. I didn't log it but I certainly erned it after the several trips and emails it took to find it.

Thank you for all your replys!I think I will send this cacher an email!If you look at my profile I have 22 hides and never have I claimed one as a find and I have never seen anyone else do that!

You have almost 600 finds since May 2003?!?!

Wow!

I should be asking you for advice, not visa-versa!! ;)

Thank you for all your replys!I think I will send this cacher an email!If you look at my profile I have 22 hides and never have I claimed one as a find and I have never seen anyone else do that!

I would just let it go. it is not up to you or I to police this cachers find count. It hurts no one to let it go.

I don't think I'd let it go. The person simply may not know that its bad form and appreciate your letting them know. I know if I was new to something and unwittingly commiting a faux pas, I'd appreciate it if someone let me know. You certainly wouldn't let the new guy in work walk around all day with toilet paper stuck to his shoe would you?

But you'd have to word your e-mail carefully. Use a helpful tone, rather than an accusatory one.

Edited by briansnat

When I first placed my cache, I went back a week or so later and dropped a TB in it. At the time, I thought the only way to log that the bug was there was to post a "Found It" and drop the bug. I thought I had gone back in and changed the "Found" to a note, but apparently didn't. Someone in the forums told me about it, in a polite way, and I changed it. I was glad they told me, as I didn't know it still was listed as a "Found It". Rather embarrassing, but I got over it. Go ahead and email them in a polite way and let them know it's not necessarily wrong, just bad form. ;)

Should you morally.... no

Is this really a moral issue? Maybe just poor judgement or unawareness. ;) If it's done intentionally, then that person is playing a different game than I am. My rules don't apply.

I was tempted to log one of mine as a find. It requires a canoe, and being somewhat remote, it hadn't been visited in nearly a year. I went out on a maintenance visit and had a heck of a time finding it. I had actually given up and was going to archive it until I realized I was in the wrong spot. Another search turned up the cache, a little damp, but none the worse for wear.

Edited by rpecot
How about a DNF on my own cache?

Heh. I wanted to drop off a travel bug in one of mine, but I didn't have the coordinates loaded in my GPSr. It is hidden within some boulders on the Lake Michigan shore. I probably spent half an hour searching for my own cache before I gave up.

It was right after the WAP pages were temporarily shut down, so I couldn't even look it up.

While I think it's bad form to log your own caches as a find, I certainly wouldn't call somebody on it if I noticed it.

That's what karma is for...

I don't think it should be done. Even if it was socially acceptable, it wouldn't seem right, because no effort was put into the search (in most cases) to find your own cache. You are only skewing your own numbers, but to each his/her own I suppose.

That being said, it took me a good 15 minutes to find one of my own caches, because I had it hidden extremely well in a rockpile with many potential hiding places that would disguise a .50-cal ammo can.

There was a thread related to this issue some time back. As I recall, it was generally accepted to log your own cache as a find in three instances:

• It is one of the old 'moving' caches. Since the owner didn't hide it in its new location, its ok to lod a find. (Also appropriate for other cachers to log multiple finds)
  • It is a locationless cache that the owner finds outside of his regular caching area.
  • The cacher logged the find and later adopted the cache.

It shoule be noted that I've logged one of my own caches as a find many times. A local cacher inappropriately deletes my logs, so I log the finds on my own cache to retain the history. This is not the appropriate thread for further discussion, however. I search of the old forums threads may find a rather ugly discussion regarding this situation.

I guess a good comparison is hiding your own easter eggs and then going to find them yourself...

I enjoy doing that because I'm in the early stages of Alzheimers. Just kidding.

My question is whether or not it's ok to revisit a cache after one has discovered it? I while trying to help a TB on it's way I wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette to drop it off in a cache I'd already been to. (my first choice got muggled) If I'm correct, revisits are ok, just as long as I post a note instead of a "found it"?

2) After my suggestion for a great hide, someone else placed a cache with a TB in it. Now I'd feel quilty claiming FTF but would like to help the TB to get moving. I'm torn as too what I should do.

I was hoping this new pastime would help reduce stress and the desire to go postal.

Season's Greetings

I saw a guy come from several states away into my local caching area and log a find for a cache that has been missing for a few months. I dediced to send him an email asking him why and he said since he found the intended location of the cache he should be allowed to log the find even though the cache itself was not there. Had it been my cache, I wouldn't have allowed that to happen. Thoughts?

I saw a guy come from several states away into my local caching area and log a find for a cache that has been missing for a few months.  I dediced to send him an email asking him why and he said since he found the intended location of the cache he should be allowed to log the find even though the cache itself was not there.  Had it been my cache, I wouldn't have allowed that to happen.  Thoughts?

A search of the forums will find many discussions of this topic. I think most will argue that if you don't sign a log, you can't claim a find.

Of course, this is off the topic of this thread...

<Annoying offtopic graphic removed> ;)

Edited by The Cheeseheads

Log a Note on one or all the perpetrators caches with a link back to this Forum Thread. Or is this also considered a no no?

Edited by Cache Viking