The Da Vinci Code

MissJenn

I've read both Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code. Loved them both. Something about the treasure hunt theme that I like. Must be why I like geocaching so much. I recently started working at a different location and now have a 20+ mile commute. I just started getting into books on tape and they really make the drive go by quickly. Unfortunately, the local library has a very limited selection of books on tape.

I concur - I have just finished Angels and Demons, and I am hoping that Da Vinci is waiting under the tree.... wait, scratch that. I hope the book is under the tree tomorrow.

Thanks in no small part to the starter of this thread as well as everyone who posted about this book, because I'm now on Chapter 6. :unsure: It's slow-going laying the foundation for the core of the plot, but so far it's very intriguing. I'm looking forward to Cryptonomicon next.

This was my most anticipated Christmas Gift (well, the only anticipated gift as I had no idea on other potential gifts).

Thanks in no small part to the starter of this thread as well as everyone who posted about this book, because I'm now on Chapter 6. B) It's slow-going laying the foundation for the core of the plot, but so far it's very intriguing. I'm looking forward to Cryptonomicon next.

This was my most anticipated Christmas Gift (well, the only anticipated gift as I had no idea on other potential gifts).

Hah! Finished Good Omens yesterday, and Cryptonomicon is next - I gave it to my wife for Christmas (without having read this thread before), but she's still reading the book she gave me :unsure:

I just started getting into books on tape and they really make the drive go by quickly. Unfortunately, the local library has a very limited selection of books on tape.

Check out Cracker Barrel. They usually have a decent selection, alebit of the abridged versions, available for rent. You can drop them off at any other store too, not just the one you picked it up at.

I read the DVCode is three days this past summer. It was pretty enjoyable, but asked for a lot of suspension of reality check at times. I didn't make the caching-novel connection at the time but there are some similar themes there.

Check out Cracker Barrel. They usually have a decent selection, alebit of the abridged versions, available for rent. You can drop them off at any other store too, not just the one you picked it up at.

:unsure: Great idea. The next cracker barrel is a mere 415 miles from here, as the crow flies :-)

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm throwing this in anyway, just in case. It may have already been mentioned.

Clive Cussler. He writes novels about an Indiana Jonesy/James Bondy/Macguyvery type fellow by the name of Dirk Pitt. There's always some great treasure lost in history, and there's always a lot of adventure trying to locate it. Things are never as they seem, and that's about all you can count on. :unsure: I highly recommend the Dirk Pitt Novels by Clive Cussler to any Geocacher.

~~Trudger

Oh goodness! The DaVinci Code left me sputtering with discontent after it was all said and done. The story is good, that much is true, but the writing is abhominable. After I was done with it I sent it over to my dear mother. She ended up reading Digital Fortress and says the writing too theatrical and the tech behind it requires serious suspension of disbelief.

I'm going to second the plug for Foucalts Pendulum. Eco is an astonishingly good writer. He weaves in and out of history to pull together an adventure of epic proportions.

Anywho, Dan Brown really irked the book snob in me, though he did manage to keep me more or less entertained on a flight from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale.

So then, here's my offer! First $10.00 gets the hardback book, shipping and all, mailed off priority to their doorstep. Otherwise I'm using it as a doorstop.

Well, obviously it was good enough for you to send to yer momma. The whole concept of fiction is the suspension of disbelief to one degree or another. Dan Brown writes fun fiction to escape with. You "book snobs" can feel free to sit by the fireplace with your "reading jackets" (complete with the leather patches at the elbow), your snifter of brandy, and whatever tome you deign to "grace" with your attention. The rest of us "riffraff" will enjoy the Dan Browns of the world. Get over yerself, bubbie.

DaVinci Cache

You just missed it.

I, too, enjoyed the work of *fiction*. How about making virtuals of some of the hidden secrets in the novel? Or, traditionals, if you can actually hide something at one of the sites.

Eh, we walked all around St. Sulpice trying to find a decent place for a hide for a micro but it's tough to get a lock in the concrete canyons. The rose line in the church is very cool although we quickly determined that the book took some creative license with the architecture of the church. We keep saying that we're going to get back to the Louvre to map out the action in the book but we haven't had a chance yet. I'll post a virtual if I get a chance.

Paris needs more traditional caches though.

I read the book the other day and I have mixed feelings on it. I like the game aspect of the book but I felt like it seemed more of a way to vent his views on the catholic church. I am not taking a religious stand here so hold your arrows. In an unbiased way it just seemed like it was more of a book to attack the Pope. If I wanted to read a book on current affairs and political views I would buy a book on that subject.

As a believer myself, I didn't get offended at this book. Mostly because a little knowledge of history will dispell any legends that it tries to pass on. Also, I'm not afraid of a little self examination.

Check out this page for a different look at these legends.

I was able to suspend my disbelief long enough to enjoy the story. Then I came back to reality.

From this article...

Brown is not the first to propose that Christianity is a vast conspiracy by the Vatican and/or others to hoodwink the world about the true Jesus. He will not be the last. What is surprising is not that he would boldly label “FACT” what has been so totally refuted by the evidence. What is surprising is that our culture is so ill-equipped so as not to be able to discern fact from fiction, misinformed about Christianity, woefully ignorant of history, and clueless about the Bible – its origin, composition, preservation, and translation.
Edited by Dru Morgan

I quite enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. I read parts of the books, especailly Angels and Demons, like a geocacher. The 'Path' in that book was like a multi-virtual (although the cache page was a lot harder to find!) . They kind of reminded me of Harry Potter for adults- very entertaining, widely read, controvercial, and sometimes not the best writing (but for me, it was a welcome change from teen books!).

I read the book the other day and I have mixed feelings on it. I like the game aspect of the book but I felt like it seemed more of a way to vent his views on the catholic church. I am not taking a religious stand here so hold your arrows. In an unbiased way it just seemed like it was more of a book to attack the Pope. If I wanted to read a book on current affairs and political views I would buy a book on that subject.

I have a co-worker from India who told me she hates Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on the grounds that the part about India is completely wrong. I just stared at her in amazement and asked "Do you think the rest of the movie has anything to do with reality?"

It's not like Umberto Eco wasn't grinding an axe or Tom Clancy wasn't showing a bias or two.

I agree with Snideswipe...DaVinci Code just didn't do it for me. It felt more like a summary of a movie treatment than a self-sustaining novel. I've read Foucault's Pendulum half a dozen times, however, and thoroughly enjoy it.

My preference for a geocaching-type read would be Neal Stephenson's article in Wired a few years back called Mother Earth, Mother Board. He traces a transoceanic communications cable as it snakes from switch to switch. Coordinates are provided for those who'd wish to follow in his footsteps (all virts so far as I'm aware so some'll whine).

Mother Earth, Mother Board is also very clearly some of the background research for Cryptonomicon.

I just finished The DaVinci Code a few days ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. The writing style kept me guessing at pending turns and conclusions throughout the storyline, and resulted in an absolute rekindling of my desire to read more.

I went to the library to get my hands on Angels & Demons, but it's been out and isn't due back for a few days. Instead, I walked out with Cryptonomicon and can't wait to immerse myself in the 918-page book.

Next I'll jump back to a Brown book and grab A & D, and go from there.

Thanks again for suggesting this book.

I read "Angels & Demons" a few weeks ago, and, well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who disliked it. It had me hooked for about 200 pages, but from there I was able to guess the remaining 60% of the story. I kept reading, hoping to be surprised, but no. It involves a really interesting letterbox, certainly, but even that turned out to not be as good as it sounded when they first described it. I was promised a puzzle that only the brightest scientific minds of the Renaissance were able to solve, and instead I get...that. The quote Dru Morgan gave is a very good one -- Brown throws stones at religion for hiding facts, yet his books (at least this one) are riddled with inaccuracies and falsehoods presented as fact. Please, if you read it or have read it, don't assume anything you're told is truth, about science or religion.

Heard a "review" (read "warning") on the radio today about "The Da-Vinci Code".

This is the first I'd ever heard of it.

I doubt I would read it, primarily because I seldom find novels interesting, but the hullabaloo they have started (or at least are trying to start) is beyond me.

The warning was that people might believe all the "facts" found out by the characters which "debunk" Christianity.

I fail to understand how people can forget that they are reading a NOVEL- a work of FICTION. Why do the reviewers get so upset about things that are not INTENDED to be taken as truth?

Do some people have such a low opinion of others' rationality that they think they are the only ones that understand that a novel is fiction? Must they be our "doting father" who protects us from our own inability to reason rationally?

We should be getting upset about the modern media that are "rewriting history" and TRYING to pass it off as truth.

Novels are fiction. What's to be afraid of there?

I, too, enjoyed the work of *fiction*. How about making virtuals of some of the hidden secrets in the novel? Or, traditionals, if you can actually hide something at one of the sites.

You asked for it....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=113344.

SWMBO and I raced through the Louvre the other day at closing time. Pretty clear that changes have been made since Dan Brown's research. The Lady on the Rocks is not in the same room as the Mona Lisa anymore. We couldn't see any gates that would come down if he pulled down the Carpaccio(?) painting. He also completely missed the location of the American Embassy off of Rivoli.

The roseline in St. Sulpice is as amazing as described in the book. It bisects the altar and leads to an obelisk in the corner.

Happy caching!

I've been working on the puzzle, too. You might want to check out the puzzle and adjust your coordinates. As a hint, the coordinates will get you close to Washington D.C. Quite interesting.

There are actually two puzzles. At the end of one there is a link to another web quest.

I made it as far as I could, but then I needed to actually have a copy of the book for a later hint, but I had already given it away! A quick trip to the book store solved the problem, but turns out I could have found the info on the web.

Edited by mbrownjer

For those that liked "The Da Vinci Code" you may find a book by Elaine Pagels interesting, the book is called "Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas". This book is not a novel and is somewhat difficult to read without a dictionary nearby, however the book is very well written. Pagels has written many books based on research from the text found at Nag Hammadi. Currently, I believe she is a professor at Princeton University.

Just finished it the other day... 2 days in the Bahamas was all it took. Ditto everyone's praise. I was surprised at how well done it was. The movie should be excellent if they don't screw with the story too much.

Who would be the appropriate hottie to play the female lead?? Angelina Jolie?